: HELP I need the name and address for all top GM dasigners to mail letter too.

Moparman4444
07-14-10, 01:48 PM
I have crafted a letter to GM design team with 42 proposed changes and improvements for the CTS-V posteb by board members over the last week, and wanted to make sure it is addressed to all the people in a position of authority that can act on the letter. Does anyone have any suggested names and addresses that I can include in the mailing to get the coverage required?

Tony407
07-14-10, 02:17 PM
Make sure you use spell check on the letter before you mail it! LOL

Tony

wait4me
07-14-10, 02:18 PM
Sad thing is, it would just end up in the trash there.... The public forums are your best bet at someone "seeing" anything...

neuronbob
07-14-10, 03:08 PM
Jesse is right. The brass at GM are known to read our boards, and they have occasionally graced us with replies, good on them! :thumbsup: I wouldn't waste time writing a letter. Our comments on rear view camera on this forum all the way from the beginning of the 2G V probably helped one appear on the 2011 CTS/CTS-V.

Tedboss1
07-14-10, 03:22 PM
Could you at least post this letter on our forum?

commander112
07-14-10, 03:59 PM
I love how people think because they drive a car that they are in the auto business. No offense intended but believe me, these cars are created after many focus groups and many, many miles of driving coupled with a lot of engineering and finance work. Tradeoffs are made during the process to hit a price point. Sure I can tell them what I want added or taken away but what is the cost of doing these things? Where would these changes put the vehicle in the marketplace? Does it make is less of a value versus perceived competition? Suggestions are great but leave the real work to the professionals. Seriously.

rjoffe
07-14-10, 03:59 PM
Dear Mr President,

Since you are now in charge of GM, could you please ask them to make the following modifications for the 2012 CTS-V :

rjoffe
07-14-10, 04:00 PM
many focus groups

Has anyone from these forums ever been on a GM focus group?

neuronbob
07-14-10, 04:13 PM
Don't we kinda count as a focus group? Or if not a focus group, at least a quick way for the GM folken to assess issues with the car? After all, the wheel clicking issue and isolator noises were ID'd first on our forum and ultimately led to Ed Piatek commenting about the issues on the forum.....which both times was very unexpected and very nice. :thumbsup:

Fubar75207
07-14-10, 04:36 PM
I have no address to offer you but I think it's a great idea. Nothing wrong with sending the letter to whomever and posting a copy of it on every GM related forum you can find. In the end, at least you can say you tried. If you put the CC list on there, I'm sure it will get read by someone. If only for them to make sure no other GM exec get's a leg up on them. btw, cc BMW... that will get their attention.

Good luck.

CTSV4now
07-14-10, 05:04 PM
Since most of us already own the car, what will GM gain?

We need to find out why people passed on the CTS-V and ended up with the M5/E63/Jag (can't recall the model). I am not including the Panamera as it can't seriously be consided a competitor with its excessive price tab.

I like the V as is. I thank the robot that designed it.

BeagleBrains
07-14-10, 06:49 PM
I love how people think because they drive a car that they are .. .... Suggestions are great but leave the real work to the professionals. Seriously.
I retired on July 5, 2010 from a position whereby I, having line Power Plant Operating experience, was to discuss design changes with System Engineers. Having completed exactly (to the day) 33 years, my experience was that the engineering "professionals" quite often overlooked significant misconceptions. My favorite design change was: given a condition where the supply filter inlet Flow Controllers lost Logic Power, an isolation signal was sent to these filter Inlet Valves. Oh yes! This isolated all makeup flow to the Main Steam Boiler. This was a design change that was reviewed at every level and signed off by highest management. You know, the "professionals"! Ever hear of the concept of paradigm? Fortunately, the "professionals" could be overriden by someone with actual line Operating Experience. ALSO, fortunately, my critique then required another review of the original work while addressing my own concerns. I have seen "real work" performed by a "professional engineer" who had never layed hands on the equipment for which they were responsible. Possibly "responsible" does not apply to some "professionals"!

mugatu22
07-14-10, 08:45 PM
Make sure you use spell check on the letter before you mail it! LOL

Tony

Funny I thought the exact same thing after reading the thread title...

I love how people think because they drive a car that they are in the auto business. No offense intended but believe me, these cars are created after many focus groups and many, many miles of driving coupled with a lot of engineering and finance work. Tradeoffs are made during the process to hit a price point. Sure I can tell them what I want added or taken away but what is the cost of doing these things? Where would these changes put the vehicle in the marketplace? Does it make is less of a value versus perceived competition? Suggestions are great but leave the real work to the professionals. Seriously.

The "real work" is done in the field, after the product is released. Feedback from consumers is GM's #1 way to improve their product. I hope they listen and expect that they do.

Dear Mr President,

Since you are now in charge of GM, could you please ask them to make the following modifications for the 2012 CTS-V :

:histeric::histeric::histeric:

We need to find out why people passed on the CTS-V and ended up with the M5/E63/Jag (can't recall the model).

Isn't it pretty obvious?

* Brand whoring/loyalty. Some people just want/need a Euro badge on their hood instead of a Cadillac badge. Right or wrong, this is one reason and GM fights the "A Cadillac-is-for-old-people" image all the time. I've heard several people say, "Wow 556HP..that's cool, too bad it's in a Cadillac."

* Quality difference. There is a distinct and obvious quality difference between the CTS-V's build and fit/finish/interior compared to the M5 and E63. The only people that don't acknowledge this seem to be GM engineers and GM owners who are defensive of their purchase. That quality difference also one of the reasons the BMW & MBZ cost $100k. But many are willing to pay the premium to get the goods.

* GM's reputation. It starts with poor salesmanship (overall), horrendous business plan (6000+ dealers in the US?) and bankruptcy, warranty claim problems, the extra cost built into each car to pay for the UAW's outrageous union costs.

* The list of nagging problems that ALL of you have read about on this very forum. It scares many potential buyers away.

beanjapan
07-14-10, 09:48 PM
I have crafted a letter to GM design team with 42 proposed changes and improvements for the CTS-V posteb by board members over the last week, and wanted to make sure it is addressed to all the people in a position of authority that can act on the letter. Does anyone have any suggested names and addresses that I can include in the mailing to get the coverage required?

Moparman444,

I am a GM employee. Do you have your letter in the form of an email or word document? I can't make any promises that your letter's requests will be met, but I certainly don't mind looking up the chief engineer and forwarding your letter to them.

Personally, I work on hybrid cars, but I own a CTS and love hearing people's comments. I can't speak for GM, but for me the customer's voice is always important!

Moparman4444
07-14-10, 10:28 PM
BEANJAPAN

Thank you for your tolerance. And screw everyone else! For your information, I sent an email last year to the chief engineer of the CTS-V and actually got a reply! I thought that was very classy. I know this letter may not be received but it certainly is worth a try don't you think? If this letter triggers some interest then it is worth it. Everyone wants some changes but are content to just bitch about it and belittle those who try.

I'm sure our opinions are worth something if GM is truly interested in building a better car. As owners we count, and out opinions should be considered.

BTW I type with two fingers but dictate much faster so ignore the sp, the leter will be perfict.

mugatu22
07-15-10, 06:07 AM
Why don't you post the letter so we can see what changes you're suggesting? 42 seems like a lot.

MReiland
07-15-10, 06:53 AM
Hint, Hint, if you do a few quick searches you can find someone who actually listens to you guys and can get it to the right person.... Cough, Cough, Ed P. Cough.... Or I guess I could do it too.:shhh:

Umrswimr
07-15-10, 08:26 AM
Why don't you post the letter so we can see what changes you're suggesting? 42 seems like a lot.
Agreed. Make sure it doesn't include petty crap like "Can I get a better floormat?" or they will just trash it.

garfin
07-15-10, 10:13 AM
Has anyone from these forums ever been on a GM focus group?

Yes. I am one of 15 very fortunate individuals who have been been continually working with the Camaro team over the last 3 years on the development of the new Camaro. We are actually all heading back to Detroit again at the end of August for another weekend session with the team.
This is a group of Camaro fanatics chosen by GM to offer their input and suggestions as Camaro enthusiasts, rather than a typical focus group made up of "typical" consumers.

From my experience, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that GM is acutely interested in hearing input on their vehicles - especially from their enthusiasts! GM definitely monitors these enthusiast boards and to give an idea as to what the potential upside is for GM in terms of input, take a look at this thread on Camaro5, which is the largest Camaro enthusiast board on the internet. Some of it is fluff, but there are actually some very well thought out comments and suggestions in the thread's 14 pages.
Members of the Camaro team monitor and participate in discussions on this board.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67037

I believe that GM took "a bit of a shot" by initiating this kind of focus group 3 years ago and I suspect they are pleased and perhaps a bit surprised at some of the benefits that have come their way as a result... and it looks like they still want our input!

My thought is that it wouldn't hurt one bit to post an open letter with some ideas and suggestions pertaining to the V. I have no doubt that Ed Piatek, Kurt Ghering (marketing manager) and Randy Schwarz (VLE) will be reading it sooner or later.

Best regards,

Elie

Florian
07-15-10, 10:28 AM
do NOT post email addresses of GM employees on this site. Fair warning.

F

Umrswimr
07-15-10, 11:28 AM
Yes. I am one of 15 very fortunate individuals who have been been continually working with the Camaro team over the last 3 years on the development of the new Camaro. We are actually all heading back to Detroit again at the end of August for another weekend session with the team.
This is a group of Camaro fanatics chosen by GM to offer their input and suggestions as Camaro enthusiasts, rather than a typical focus group made up of "typical" consumers.

From my experience, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that GM is acutely interested in hearing input on their vehicles - especially from their enthusiasts! GM definitely monitors these enthusiast boards and to give an idea as to what the potential upside is for GM in terms of input, take a look at this thread on Camaro5, which is the largest Camaro enthusiast board on the internet. Some of it is fluff, but there are actually some very well thought out comments and suggestions in the thread's 14 pages.
Members of the Camaro team monitor and participate in discussions on this board.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67037

I believe that GM took "a bit of a shot" by initiating this kind of focus group 3 years ago and I suspect they are pleased and perhaps a bit surprised at some of the benefits that have come their way as a result... and it looks like they still want our input!

My thought is that it wouldn't hurt one bit to post an open letter with some ideas and suggestions pertaining to the V. I have no doubt that Ed Piatek, Kurt Ghering (marketing manager) and Randy Schwarz (VLE) will be reading it sooner or later.

Best regards,

Elie
Did you start by telling them to fix that atrocious interior?

concorso
07-15-10, 11:41 AM
* Brand whoring/loyalty. Some people just want/need a Euro badge on their hood instead of a Cadillac badge. Right or wrong, this is one reason and GM fights the "A Cadillac-is-for-old-people" image all the time. I've heard several people say, "Wow 556HP..that's cool, too bad it's in a Cadillac."

* Quality difference. There is a distinct and obvious quality difference between the CTS-V's build and fit/finish/interior compared to the M5 and E63. The only people that don't acknowledge this seem to be GM engineers and GM owners who are defensive of their purchase. That quality difference also one of the reasons the BMW & MBZ cost $100k. But many are willing to pay the premium to get the goods.Id agree on build quality. I"d stop short of saying 'finish' tho. There are plenty of surfaces in the E63 (pre-2011) that were cheap feeling. In terms of 'finish'...(materials, feel of buttons and how they operate), Cadillac/BMW/Mercedes play 2nd fiddle to Audi.

I want a full leather interior with new bolder optional colors inside and out, launch control, and maybe an active exhuast. And more wheel/tire.

garfin
07-15-10, 11:45 AM
Did you start by telling them to fix that atrocious interior?

LOL! Although I'm not permitted to reveal any details of the discussions that have taken place during these sessions, I can say there were some very "lively" discussions among the group and the Team on the topic of the interior.

Micah Jones, who was the lead designer on the car's interior was present during our initial visit in 2008 and he received plenty of feedback from the group.

Best regards,

Elie

mugatu22
07-15-10, 03:17 PM
This is wonderful news, that our feedback could make it to the correct people. There are several lists of "upgrades" in this thread that are legit and, with all hopes, attainable even at the correct price points.

I think most of us understand that there's a cost analysis that each part/upgrade undergoes. Also I know that we are the vocal minority, since Cadillac sells exponentially more V's than we have members here on this forum. Forums by definition are for the "fan boys" and mega enthusiasts...and most people just want to have fun with their car and drive it.

Whatever the case, please pass along the list and let them know that their customers (and POTENTIAL customers) are looking for more/different options for a car like this.

thebigjimsho
07-24-10, 09:18 PM
Yeah, post the letter here. And for whoever is providing contacts, PM me. Because I'll probably want to counterpoint on half the "improvements" that will be listed.