: 2-Piece Brake Rotor Upgrade (Alcon System)

Dr. Design
07-13-10, 02:17 PM
Hello,
It is our pleasure to announce the arrival of our newest product offering. We have worked closely with the Alcon Motorsports Division in the UK to bring forth a true 2-piece performance rotor for the 09/10 Cadillac CTS-V. Alcon UK provides brake systems and products for NASCAR, WRC, AUSTRALIAN V8, INDY CAR, and CSL CUP! We felt that this would be a natural fit for the Cadillac CTS-V. We push the limits of this application and need a brake that will support our needs and demands.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/09CTSVAlconRotorUpgrade_Artwork_FIN.jpg

This new rotor incorporates the latest in Alcon Technology, crescent grooves.
Grooves in the surface of a brake disc for high performance vehicles perform three basic functions:
· Increases initial friction between the disc and pads, producing more ‘bite’
· Continuously refreshes the brake pad surface by removing debris from the pad
· Prevents build up of gas from the phenolics within the pads

Traditionally, arrays of long, straight or curved grooves are staggered around the disc surface. Heat generated during braking leads to thermal distortion of the disc due to the discontinuous friction rubbing surface produced by the grooves, causing reduced pad contact and in some cases brake judder. As a result of dividing the grooves into short segments, the continuous disc surface area is maintained, helping to reduce thermal distortion and hence brake judder.

The curved form of each groove produces a longer edge than would otherwise be achieved if the grooves were straight. Also the grooves overlap radially, which prevents grooving of the friction material.

When compared with a disc with plain faces, a grooved disc will produce greater pad wear and will also be noisier.

When compared with a cross-drilled disc, initial bite will be similar without the thermal stress associated with a drilled disc. Noise will be of a similar level.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/481_1.jpg

D3 Research & Design is the exclusive global Cadillac application distributor for Alcon UK & Alcon USA. For more information about this product or other products offered by D3, please visit www.d3cadillac.com or call 562-216-8919.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

dvandentop
07-14-10, 12:20 AM
does this use a coleman rotor also?

how much are replacement rings?

edsuski
07-14-10, 12:32 AM
What is the weight relative to the stock rotor?

Dr. Design
07-14-10, 08:43 PM
Hello,
This is a genuine Alcon rotor. We will have all the service component pricing up shortly.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

does this use a coleman rotor also?

UAEmonster
07-15-10, 11:39 AM
That's great ..., from two of the best tuners (D3) & Alcon ..

how would the OEM pads perform with Alcon discs ??

Umrswimr
07-15-10, 11:59 AM

They should perform better, as they will be stopping a car with a MUCH lighter wallet. :lol:

Dr. Design
07-20-10, 09:28 PM
Hello,
The OE pads would be fine. However it would be recommended to go with a better compound if upgrading to these rotors.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

1-2-N-V
07-21-10, 10:02 AM
they may brake better but are highly unusual looking. So why does so many manufacturers produce slotted or cross drilled. Cross drilled is just hot looking. The slots in the V brochure (that never were produced) looked great also. But can understand the crescent concept i suppose

Dr. Design
07-21-10, 03:09 PM
Traditionally, arrays of long, straight or curved grooves are staggered around the disc surface. Heat generated during braking leads to thermal distortion of the disc due to the discontinuous friction rubbing surface produced by the grooves, causing reduced pad contact and in some cases brake judder. As a result of dividing the grooves into short segments, the continuous disc surface area is maintained, helping to reduce thermal distortion and hence brake judder.

The curved form of each groove produces a longer edge than would otherwise be achieved if the grooves were straight. Also the grooves overlap radially, which prevents grooving of the friction material.

When compared with a disc with plain faces, a grooved disc will produce greater pad wear and will also be noisier.

When compared with a cross-drilled disc, initial bite will be similar without the thermal stress associated with a drilled disc. Noise will be of a similar level.

wfo
07-21-10, 04:04 PM
They should perform better, as they will be stopping a car with a MUCH lighter wallet. :lol:

That's great Umrswimr...these are very pricey rotors. :yup:

I'd much prefer a cross drilled design. Just wondering why Brembo, Baer or Willwood hasn't gotten this going for the new generation V's.

Dr. Design
07-21-10, 10:13 PM
Hello,
Sorry for the delay in response. The replacement rotors are $475/per rotor (w/o hat).

If you are looking for a no excuse brake rotor and system, we feel that the Alcon products offer the perfect answer. Anything else just wouldn't measure up.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

dvandentop
07-21-10, 11:40 PM
wow seriously, coleman rotors for my c6 z06 are only $150 a piece and are considered of the highest quality metallurgy out there for rotors, i dont see how these alcons be so expensive even with adding for the machining of the moon shape reliefs, that in mind i wont both asking how much a set with hats new cost then as these are not something i would want due to cost of consumeables if i was going to track the car alot.

good luck with the sales

Dr. Design
07-22-10, 05:57 PM
Thank you for your comments. The coleman rotors are great for those looking for a generic inexpensive rotor ring. But if you are going to try and perform at 10/10ths the Alcons will not disappoint. The Alcon's are NOT matched in performance or quality by ANY rotor and especially that of a Coleman. Its more than just a metal rotor and the compound that it consists of. Its not a knock on Coleman, Brembo, Willwood, Baer, Stoptech, Rotora, AP Racing, or any of the other suppliers we offer. If you are looking for THE best 2 piece high performance rotor, the Alcon rotor is the clear answer. Anything else just simply falls in behind it.

We understand that this rotor option might not be for everyone. But for those that actually need rotors of this caliber, they will be very happy with their choice.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

wow seriously, coleman rotors for my c6 z06 are only $150 a piece and are considered of the highest quality metallurgy out there for rotors, i dont see how these alcons be so expensive even with adding for the machining of the moon shape reliefs, that in mind i wont both asking how much a set with hats new cost then as these are not something i would want due to cost of consumeables if i was going to track the car alot.

good luck with the sales

poor-sha
07-23-10, 10:48 PM
When I bought a set of replacement rings with hats for the Brembo GT kit on my Z they were $835 each. So this sounds like the same ballpark. How much with hats (since just rings won't do us any good)?

dvandentop
07-23-10, 10:58 PM
When I bought a set of replacement rings with hats for the Brembo GT kit on my Z they were $835 each. So this sounds like the same ballpark. How much with hats (since just rings won't do us any good)?

wtf so 1600 for a front set of rotors damn those brembo kits are spendy upkeep :crying::crying:

cant believe they charge that much for those either

thebigjimsho
07-24-10, 11:44 PM
That's great Umrswimr...these are very pricey rotors. :yup:

I'd much prefer a cross drilled design. Just wondering why Brembo, Baer or Willwood hasn't gotten this going for the new generation V's.
Because they suck. You want performance? You go with slotted. Nevermind that they look better...

chrswk
08-16-10, 11:04 AM
This may be a stupid question, but can I use these rotors with the stock Brembo calipers?

Dr. Design
08-16-10, 02:59 PM
Hello,
Yes you can use these with the OEM Brembo Calipers. These have a distinct performance advantage over anything else on the market given Alcon's proprietary technology incorporated into these replacement rotors.

Let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

This may be a stupid question, but can I use these rotors with the stock Brembo calipers?