: Keys Locked In Car!!!??

kadiLacDaddy
07-13-10, 12:07 PM
So lastnight i was at the gas station and I pulled up to the pump and turned the car off. When i did that the ignition button was blinking and the car said "run or off?" so i turned it off again. I left the keys in the cup holder as always.

Well i pumped my gas and when I came back to get into my car the doors were LOCKED!. I have never had this happen before and I was under the assumption that if the keys are inside the car that the car should not be able to lock. I have never had any signal problems with my fobs or nothing...

Well luckly my sunroof was open and there was a police officer pumping gas beside me. I asked him if he could whip out his baton and fish out my keys from my roof lol... he ended up getting them and i pulled the handle and it unlocked.

Anyone know why this would happen.. I am now scared to leave the keys in the car!

kschwed
07-13-10, 12:13 PM
Do you remember it honking three times after you closed the last door?

V-Eight
07-13-10, 12:42 PM
Isn't there a door button you can press to unlock it when the keys are near?

kschwed
07-13-10, 12:52 PM
Isn't there a door button you can press to unlock it when the keys are near?

All you do is pull the door handle. The antenna/sensor for unlocking the doors is set up to detect the fob on the outside perimeter of the car, not the inside.

kadiLacDaddy
07-13-10, 01:32 PM
but the car should not lock if the keys are inside the car...

and yes it did beep 3 times when i exited

dkozloski
07-13-10, 02:15 PM
The car beeps three times to warn the simple minded that you're about to get locked out.

SlickCityStan
07-13-10, 02:42 PM
My wife will leave her fob in her pocketbook and leave it in the car and it always beeps 3 times and then LOCKS with the fob inside the car. It has always done that.

Cadjiek
07-13-10, 04:54 PM
I can leave my fob in the car and walk away and the car does not lock.
I also do this all the time when taking my car in for service. I just leave the fob in the cup holder and walk away. My write up man never has to ask me for my keys. I also turned off the the three horn chip feature. It can be very annoying at times.

kadiLacDaddy
07-13-10, 05:25 PM
The car beeps three times to warn the simple minded that you're about to get locked out.

not ture.... the purpose of the 3 beep system is to remind you that you have left the keys in your car... the car should not lock as long as the keys are inside of the car..

dkozloski
07-13-10, 06:12 PM
not ture.... the purpose of the 3 beep system is to remind you that you have left the keys in your car... the car should not lock as long as the keys are inside of the car..
Says who? Mine does and always has. Evidently some other selection can be made under personalizations but it is not manditory.

EChas3
07-13-10, 09:16 PM
Excerpt 2006 Owners Manual (italics added)

Keyless Access All Doors LOCK after Last door
closed: The doors will automatically lock when the
ignition is turned off, the keyless access transmitter has
been removed from the interior of the vehicle, and the
doors have been closed for eight seconds.

DELAY locking after LOCK is pressed and Last door
closed: The doors will not lock for up to eight seconds
after a power door lock switch or the lock button on the
keyless access transmitter is pressed. The eight-second
delay occurs after the last door is closed. If the keyless
access transmitter is left inside of the vehicle, the doors
will not lock.

next2pool
07-13-10, 09:35 PM
It also says this:

Lockout Protection
Your vehicle can be programmed to sound the horn
three times and unlock the driver’s door when all doors
are closed and there is a keyless access transmitter
inside the interior of the vehicle. When the driver’s door
is reopened, the key in reminder chime will sound
continuously. The vehicle will remain locked only when
at least one transmitter has been removed from the
vehicle and both doors are closed. See Vehicle
Personalization on page 2-53.

I suspect the reasons we have different opinions is related to our personalization settings.

JGarten
07-13-10, 09:48 PM
According to Cadillac, "If the keyless access transmitter is left inside of the vehicle, the doors will not lock." yet, in the section titled "Lockout Protection" they state "When the driverís door is reopened, the key in reminder chime will sound continuously. The vehicle will remain locked only when at least one transmitter has been removed from the vehicle and both doors are closed." so, it *might* be possible if the key fob battery were weak (or maybe a weak car battery similarly affecting the receiver) and one re-opened/closed the door, confusing the computer?

[Side note: if you put the car in accessory mode, the car is not "off" and the KEY FOB REMINDER *will not chirp the horn*. This is useful when exiting the drivers position while passenger(s) stay in the car and you leave one or both key fobs in the car.]

Force-1
07-15-10, 08:23 AM
I dropped my STS off for LOF at dealer last year, and the tech locked the keys in the car while it was sitting in the welcome bay. He closed the doors with fob sitting on console. Lucky for them I removed the fob from my key chain, and had the manual key on me.

My Mazda CX-9 and C6 Corvette have smart keys too, and I always keep the manual key on my person before turning them over to anyone, in case they lock the fob inside. I do know my CX-9 will not allow me to lock the doors when the fob is nearby--won't even let me do it manually.

BIG ROB
07-15-10, 03:07 PM
Well I just went to test this and the doors will not lock and the horn beeps 3 times to tell you the fob is in the car. I also looked at the settings and I can not find one to make that happen. change the batt in your fob see what if anything that does. shut the car off open the door, while sitting in the car, and close the door, the horn should beep and the doors should remain open. hope this helps:thumbsup:

cadillacroadside
07-15-10, 04:02 PM
this thread can be debated forever, but the fact is and i can attest to it first hand, these cars WILL lock with the fob in the car, i am a roadside tech for cadillac and i do PLENTY of lockouts with the fob in the car..how it happens i cannot tell you i was not there when the customer did it..but yes it does happen...ALOT

SlickCityStan
07-15-10, 04:22 PM
Wether it locks or not I don't make a habit of leaving my keys in my car it is not safe in the times we live in no matter where you live.

next2pool
07-15-10, 04:57 PM
this thread can be debated forever, but the fact is and i can attest to it first hand, these cars WILL lock with the fob in the car, i am a roadside tech for cadillac and i do PLENTY of lockouts with the fob in the car..how it happens i cannot tell you i was not there when the customer did it..but yes it does happen...ALOT

The manual is a bit unclear on all that, but I think it resides in the delay setting.

ewill3rd
07-15-10, 09:53 PM
As an aside here, if the display says "off or run" the line before that says "no fob ". What that means is that it thinks the fob has left the vehicle and it wants to verify whether you REALLY want to turn it off, or leave it running because the fob seems to be out of range.

It could be a weak battery or a signal blind spot but regardless... if you see that message it means it can't see the fob. If you close the door it will think the fob is not there and lock (depending on personalization settings).
I usually put the windows down when I bring them in the shop but leave the fob inside and I don't see them lock but I put them in places I know have good signal.

alexillac
07-20-10, 06:45 AM
Well, you wrote, that your car asked 'no fob - off or run' this happens from now and then in my car also. However that means, that no fob was detected, leaving the car thinking that it's safe to lock all doors - maybe thats the reason why ..?