: Valet Parking

Hawkeye2
07-13-10, 11:15 AM
This came up on another board. I have valeted my car, no problems.

It was overnight at a hotel in Toronto.

I told the attendant I was fussy about it. He said no problem he'd park
it in a corner spot out of the way. I gave him a $20. When I went to
get it, it was perfect, and gave him another $20.

I did make a mental note of the mileage and it was not taken for a spin,
so I would do it again. I see lots of people would never valet park their
rides.

commander112
07-13-10, 11:33 AM
Shit happens in parking lots whether valeted or not. I have had our XLR that was veleted at a very high end country club and was in perfect condition backed into. I did not notice the damage until the next morning when I went into the garage. Mind you, I hand washed the car before leaving the house and went straight from the club to our house. The only place it could have been damaged was in the valet's care. You guessed it, they denied responsibility. Luckily our insurance covered the whole thing with no deductable charge. Had to repaint/repair the bumper cover and replace a tail light. Those tail lights for an XLR are over $650 a pop!
I still leave the car with a valet but am just a little more careful when I pick it up on a dark evening to give it a good once over before leaving. Just one man's take on the subject. Also, bear in mind that none of these cars are particullarly rare and need extraordinary care.

Hawkeye2
07-13-10, 11:51 AM
I had a very similar incident at a GM dealer, now when I drop any one of my cars I make them do a walk around and note any damages.

I pointed out a scratch and dent in the fender when I went to picked up my car, they answered it was there when I dropped it off! NO WAY!

Needless to say I did not go back there, in fact they are now closed! Went bankrupt!

SD Detail
07-13-10, 12:20 PM
I never hand my car over to a valet. If they make a fuss give them $10 and tell them you will park it yourself. Some guys thinks it being cheap but I am just too finicky about my car to let a valet drive it. Plus all the stories I have heard about valets ripping peoples car around scares me.

Umrswimr
07-13-10, 01:16 PM
I never hand my car over to a valet. If they make a fuss give them $10 and tell them you will park it yourself. Some guys thinks it being cheap but I am just too finicky about my car to let a valet drive it. Plus all the stories I have heard about valets ripping peoples car around scares me.
Agreed.

Tell them you'll pay the valet fee, but you're parking it yourself.

I HATE valet parking. Most people don't respect their own property, let alone somebody else's.

dpchamp87
07-13-10, 02:36 PM
I drove my Land Rover (good winter vehicle but no V) from CT to DC to a wedding rather than take the V and have some dude valet park it at a remote location...

neuronbob
07-13-10, 02:42 PM
I was at a high-end hotel in downtown Toronto earlier this year. I had no choice but to valet the V. :( It was either that or use the ratty-looking parking lot across the street from the hotel. :( :( :( I tipped the valet significantly, STILL took pictures of my car with the valet in them to document its pristine state. My car came back in perfect condition.

I later learned that the smart guys ask to park their car in an out-of-the-way corner near the hotel entrance. I saw a beautiful Audi R8 in that position at the hotel on my last day there and thought to myself, "how much do I have to tip to park there?"....

cbloveday
07-13-10, 08:16 PM
If you ask and tip, I am sure they will let you valet prominently in front of the hotel. Many hotels like to display their clientels high end luxury vehicles in front. Makes the establishment look good.

paul34
07-13-10, 08:51 PM
Tip (decently, don't just throw a few bucks at them and expect anything special), and ask nicely. Almost all will help you extra out then. And be careful... the more inexperienced valets will interpret "up front" to be a highly visible, but also highly exposed spot. What this means is that some drunk person later (not a valet) will probably end up denting and/or scratching your car and then running off.

Titaniumseeker
07-14-10, 12:01 AM
I never, repeat, NEVER, allow a valet to park my vehicle. After two bad experiences with my other vehicle a valet will never get their hands on my V. I found that they will usually dog your vehicle to see what it can do because after all, it is not theirs and you are not around. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a garage used by valets and heard them dogging the high performance vehicles (driving like they just stole it.) Next time, run your fingers under the rear fender well to see if they burned some rubber with your vehicle. You might have a different opinion on using valets in the future. While not all valets are bad, your chances are just as good at getting a good one as winning at roulette.

Club Malibu
07-14-10, 01:30 PM
Years and years ago, I remember reading in some car mag about some Corvette. I think it was the 1990 ZR1.

This car had a special valet key that when it was used, it limited the power of the engine. The article had all the exact specs (I'm going back 20 years here), but I think, that it limited the max RPMs to only about 2000 and you couldn't open the glove box.

What would be awesome if someone like D3 or WAIT4ME offered a kit and tune or something, somehow just to do something to make a "valet mode" like I mentioned above.

I would pay money for a kit like this because I'm afraid to take my V anywhere nice where valet is usually mandatory.

Caroutisine
07-14-10, 01:56 PM
Yes, the old ZR1's did have a valet key. I don't remember the RPM limit, but it did reduce engine power. Wish I had this feature on my Trailblazer SS to use when I let my son drive it.

Prof
07-14-10, 02:33 PM
While I do valet my CTS V from time to time...I would never do it with my truck. But the truck does have a VEC III piggy back to the cpu. It allows me change tunes on the fly from a card reader in the cab. One of the cards I have is a valet tune that limits the rpm to 2000. I also have a "no start" card, even with the key the truck cannot be started until a different card is inserted into the reader. I usually use one or the other of the restrictive cards when the vehicle is parked even in the garage. My fear is that some 14 or 15 year old would decide to go joy riding...805 bhp in the hands of almost any unknowing person is a sure trip to disaster.

FSTCADY
07-14-10, 02:53 PM
Funny that this post came up when it did. I just left my V with a valet the other weekend at a nice hotel in San Francisco. It was not something I wanted to do but I knew it would be hard to avoid over the years so I tipped well, asked the most mature looking valet to take care of it, and hoped for the best. The car came back immaculate and with no extra mileage on it so I was feeling pretty good....

...until I started to drive away and saw the hood was popped. Obviously they decided to have a look. No harm done I guess but I felt a little uncomfortable about it.

Stumeat
07-14-10, 03:17 PM
Funny that this post came up when it did. I just left my V with a valet the other weekend at a nice hotel in San Francisco. It was not something I wanted to do but I knew it would be hard to avoid over the years so I tipped well, asked the most mature looking valet to take care of it, and hoped for the best. The car came back immaculate and with no extra mileage on it so I was feeling pretty good....

...until I started to drive away and saw the hood was popped. Obviously they decided to have a look. No harm done I guess but I felt a little uncomfortable about it.

...or was confused at the whole ebrake thing and thought he was releasing it and popping the hood instead?

Hawkeye2
07-14-10, 03:21 PM
Hmm...doubt it. The brake will release by itself if you start to drive away. Probably took a peek at the engine bay.

Stumeat
07-14-10, 04:09 PM
Hmm...doubt it. The brake will release by itself if you start to drive away. Probably took a peek at the engine bay.

Most people who do not own a V would not know that. First thing in any other car, you would reach down and release park brake before trying to drive away no?

cdog533
07-14-10, 04:46 PM
I later learned that the smart guys ask to park their car in an out-of-the-way corner near the hotel entrance. I saw a beautiful Audi R8 in that position at the hotel on my last day there and thought to myself, "how much do I have to tip to park there?"....

For typical restaurant, hotel, etc. I usually tip $20 to keep it in front. If the place is a little "hotter" or busier then $30. For a South Beach club, boutique, hotel or equivalent, $50 is typical. This gets you an upfront spot AND you keep the keys. The only issue is the pedestrians walking by and the taxis letting people out - all next to your car.

Bear in mind, the valets don't watch you car. I once came out of a club to find one girlie sitting on the hood of my Viper and another girl in it.

paul34
07-14-10, 09:04 PM
Most people who do not own a V would not know that. First thing in any other car, you would reach down and release park brake before trying to drive away no?

I've done valet part time for several years and I have indeed accidentally popped the hood on a few cars trying to disable the parking brake. Of course, with many of them, the parking brake isn't really even on... the light is on because of something wrong with the brake system. :suspect:

And indeed, some of the brake systems barely even work. We only find out once we're in traffic... but we're just valets. expendable.

And as far as those who do not trust valets. Can't say I blame you, in the sense that it is difficult to figure out who is a good valet and who isn't. I do not dog cars whatsoever. In fact, I respect it as if it was my own. However, I have known guys who would dog even crappy cars. I don't know what was wrong with them. Anyway, they never stuck around long before they suddenly disappeared one day.

neuronbob
07-14-10, 09:29 PM
What would be awesome if someone like D3 or WAIT4ME offered a kit and tune or something, somehow just to do something to make a "valet mode" like I mentioned above.

Wait4me does offer a valet mode. I know, I have it.

nsaness
07-14-10, 10:26 PM
I visit New York City (at least) once a week, and Valet Parking is a non-negotiable fact of life. I have found that if I give the guy a $20.00 bill with the keys, he parks the car very close in the immediate VIP area. There is no elevator travel, or driving off to park it so close where they have to climb out the window and walk down your hood/fender to get out of the car (I have witnessed this many times).
I follow up with another $20.00 when I pick up the car. I don't have a lot of money, and I don't think the second 20 is necessary; however, $40.00 is FAR LESS than it would cost me to do Dentbusters or a touch up paint job. Plus, I get treated like a VIP with no waiting for the car, and smiling happy people trying to help me (ahead of the line of 20 to 30 people).

euroconvert_ctsV
07-15-10, 01:13 AM
Bear in mind, the valets don't watch you car. I once came out of a club to find one girlie sitting on the hood of my Viper and another girl in it.

Yeah, this used to happen to me too, I used to take them home with me and "punish" them....

But alas I'm married now and no longer have a yellow Ferrari.... (sigh)

mugatu22
07-15-10, 02:32 AM
I once came out of a club to find one girlie sitting on the hood of my Viper and another girl in it.

You're acting like this is a bad thing. As far as I'm concerned, a situation like this is the beginning to an eventful evening...:crowded:

Umrswimr
07-15-10, 09:31 AM
Do tell!

Domsz06
07-15-10, 04:41 PM
so this "valet mode" love to hear about it and how long it takes to work....

mugatu22
07-15-10, 04:47 PM
I've yet to see a Cadillac parked in the front of a high-end restaurant in Los Angeles. They just don't rate. Gotta roll in with a high end AMG or Bentley/Ferrari/Lambo, etc to get those kinds of parking spots in Southern California. I wish it were different! Too many $150K+ cars out EVERY night here for them to bother with our little $60k GM muscle sedan :rolleyes:

Luna.
07-15-10, 05:24 PM
You're acting like this is a bad thing. As far as I'm concerned, a situation like this is the beginning to an eventful evening...:crowded:

Umm, yeah. I don't see how that's a bad thing. Hell, that had the makings of the post of the month as far as I'm concerned... :p

Prof
07-15-10, 05:49 PM
You guys are just terrible! Moving immediately to the lowest common denominator...I just do not understand that kind of mentality...but if he would post pictures I might be able to understand the concept a little better. :o

GMX322V S/C
07-16-10, 03:35 AM
so this "valet mode" love to hear about it and how long it takes to work....Another tune in the handheld, so not available on demand. Would be cool if it were...

Hawkeye2
07-16-10, 10:41 AM
Since the cars are loaded controlled by a computer, I think a Valet key would not be that difficult to create. They could limit the revs,
and the speed to maybe 25 MPH. No burnouts, no spinouts = less damage. Just a thought...

Domsz06
07-16-10, 11:12 AM
Another tune in the handheld, so not available on demand. Would be cool if it were...
yeah that's what I thought, who is gonna go, park, break out the handheld and then wait 5-10 min and then go ok here you valet. what about all the other cars behind u?

JFJr
07-17-10, 05:54 PM
Wow, a lot of you guys are great tippers! If I ever decide to retire, I may consider being a valet part time.

Jud

mugatu22
07-17-10, 08:37 PM
Wow, a lot of you guys are great tippers! If I ever decide to retire, I may consider being a valet part time.

Jud

You must be a poor to average tipper if you think these guys tip well. $20 to ensure that your car is taken care of...for a $65K car?

I did valet cars when I was in highschool, and it was usually the old couples who'd come in with a $100k Benz and tip a whopping $3-$5, and act like they just had given me their life savings.

It's Karma. Take care of the people taking care of what's important to you.

JFJr
07-17-10, 09:43 PM
You must be a poor to average tipper if you think these guys tip well. $20 to ensure that your car is taken care of...for a $65K car?

I did valet cars when I was in highschool, and it was usually the old couples who'd come in with a $100k Benz and tip a whopping $3-$5, and act like they just had given me their life savings.

It's Karma. Take care of the people taking care of what's important to you.What may be appropriate in one part of the country might be extravagant in another. At my age I'm fortunate to have lived in many places; experience is a good teacher, maybe you'll get there eventually.

mugatu22
07-17-10, 11:40 PM
What may be appropriate in one part of the country might be extravagant in another. At my age I'm fortunate to have lived in many places; experience is a good teacher, maybe you'll get there eventually.

So, you're 66, you're cheap, and you live in Florida. Got it.

I lived in Florida (unfortunately) for several years. Experience works both ways. I've found that gratuity is gratuity no matter where I've lived, and I've enjoyed experiencing life in Texas, Florida, Tennessee, North Dakota, New York, Pennsylvania, and now Southern California. "Experience" has taught me that generous gratuities produce good Karma if nothing else...and my expensive autos stay nice & protected while I'm out and about.

Hey, enjoy your car. That 'extravagant' $5 tip you hand out as though it's a $50 my end up getting your car scratched or taken on a joy ride. Maybe it's worth that risk. I've experienced otherwise.