: V Burning oil ?

Q8 6.2
07-13-10, 05:42 AM
i just checked my oil and it is low again is this normal for Vs i loose about 1 liter oil every 3000 or 4000 KM anyone else :highfive:

CadV
07-13-10, 09:59 AM
i just checked my oil and it is low again is this normal for Vs i loose about 1 liter oil every 3000 or 4000 KM anyone else :highfive:

That sounds excessive to me. The only oil I lose is what ends up in the blower but that is very little. Rings come to mind when someone is losing a lot of oil.

If your stock I would take it into the dealership.

newcadman
07-13-10, 03:21 PM
Certainly appears to be on the excessive side considering what I've heard from other V owners. However, it really doesn't matter what we think it's what GM says that counts. Best thing to do is take it to the dealer and they will start an investigative process by monitoring and recording the mileage and amount of oil being used.
GM has a policy by which a certain amount of oil consumption is considered "normal"but if it exceeds the normal range they HAVE to address the problem.
I think GM considers more than a liter(quart) in 2000 kilometers(1200 mi.) to be excessive but I'm not certain so if you ask I'm sure they'll tell you the exact figure.
With your reference to kilometers and liters it's safe to say you are in Canada and will be dealing with GM CANADA.

Best of luck

baabootoo
07-13-10, 03:48 PM
So to us southerners, that's about a quart (33 ounces) in 1900 - 2500 miles. That doesn't sound too bad, depending upon how you've driven it. Mobil 1 seeps VERY well, so if things are a little on the loose side like was said, it might use more than other engines.

BeagleBrains
07-13-10, 10:27 PM
The highways seem to be marked in MILES here, too.
The first Corvette Z06 had many people reporting excessive oil usage. Turns out that, in order to excentuate the exhaust burble, they very frequently drove around in second gear. Sounds great! However, the low engine loading at a somewhat higher RPM set up a condition contributing to excessive oil blow-by into the combustion chamber. This translates to excessive oil consumption. The second year of Z06 production, GM modified the rings, correcting much of the blow-by condition. Also, owners learned to limit the exhaust-note low gear running. Oil consumption was reduced. Having a few more miles on an engine also allows seating of the rings, restoring oil use to "NORMAL".

Q8 6.2
07-14-10, 02:09 AM
wow looks like its rare for the V to eat this much oil $heeeeeeeeeey that's not good might be piston problems or it could be nothing i hope .. i will give it time and see if it gets worse.. its nearly stock i have a 9.5 pulley and a very aggressive tune and ZERO KR.

i hate first year cars and motors.. i remember one time i bought a new body style 07 5.3 tahoe in 06 when they first came out well few weeks later i had a big big engine blow up with bent connecting rods and a broken crankshaft in two places while i was cruising slow at around 2000rpm...

well guess what it was .... it was something so small and so unthinkable that made all this damage believe it a fuel injector that was stuck in the open position filled the chamber with gasoline and on the compression BOOOOOOOOOOM it bended the rod and broke the crank.. haha sux

Prof
07-14-10, 07:22 AM
Approaching 22k on my '09...seems to be very tight...and no oil loss between changes (each 5k)...

The comment about factory usage factors is correct. But the manufacturers can be excessive in their estimate of "normal" oil usage. My SRT 10 is considered to be within "normal" usage if it is burning 1 qt. every 1000 miles.
If it were using that kind oil...I would be awake at night worrying!

I believe you are burning too much oil!

Sorry to be so basic, but be sure your vehicle is on a flat surface when you check it...check it at the same time when you check it (after it has set idle over night) and be sure to seat the check stick fully.

Kadonny
07-14-10, 08:46 AM
Too much in my opinion. My V1 was burning that amount of oil, one quart every 2k miles when new. I pressed hard enough and GM bough the car back. I then got into an STS-V and now I have the V2 and neither car has used a drop of oil.

japple1985
06-20-13, 06:09 PM
When I purchased my 2011 CTS V coupe it had 26k miles. I checked the oil several times and noticed it was using oil, more than any car i have ever owned. Oil life was at 28% and the oil was barely touching the stick. I figured maybe the Dealership put the wrong weigh oil in the car. So I had them change it at 35k, they also started a Oil consumption log as well. Today the car has 40k and I check it and its barely touching the stick. Oil Life is at 47%. I took it into the Dealership so that they could update the consumption log. The Tech said he put a quart of oil in it. The car is under a maintenance plan so they will not do a complete oil change unless the oil life is below 20% and they can't fudge the % due to On star taking snapshots of the oil life..... Is this normal for the 6.2 LSA engine???? What would you do?

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-20-13, 08:03 PM
When I purchased my 2011 CTS V coupe it had 26k miles. I checked the oil several times and noticed it was using oil, more than any car i have ever owned. Oil life was at 28% and the oil was barely touching the stick. I figured maybe the Dealership put the wrong weigh oil in the car. So I had them change it at 35k, they also started a Oil consumption log as well. Today the car has 40k and I check it and its barely touching the stick. Oil Life is at 47%. I took it into the Dealership so that they could update the consumption log. The Tech said he put a quart of oil in it. The car is under a maintenance plan so they will not do a complete oil change unless the oil life is below 20% and they can't fudge the % due to On star taking snapshots of the oil life..... Is this normal for the 6.2 LSA engine???? What would you do?

Hello japple1985,

I apologize that you seem to be experiencing an oil consumption issue with your CTS-V. I see that the dealership is already working with you by starting an oil consumption log. If you would like any assistance from our team to stay involved with the dealership, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us via private message. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Haze
06-21-13, 01:22 AM
My V has about 30K miles on it. It started consuming excessive amounts of oil at about 15K miles, and when I say excessive, about the range that you are talking about. I chalked it up to fouled rings. I solved it recently by taking the car on a 2,300 mile trip in five days with two 900 mile one day trips in there during which I threw Lucas Injector cleaner into the car. The idea is to get enough hot oil and solvent into the rings to get the caked up junk out. It seems to have worked nicely. I have had zero consumption since the trip, but I need to drive a little more to be sure that it helped. Personally, I think that the oil change schedule is way, way too long.

Q8 6.2
06-21-13, 07:37 AM
Wow pretty old post :)

Just update to this I took it to dealer month later it was leaking oil from rear seal they have to remove transmission and added new gaskets I think

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-21-13, 07:07 PM
Wow pretty old post :)

Just update to this I took it to dealer month later it was leaking oil from rear seal they have to remove transmission and added new gaskets I think
Hello Q8 6.2,

Thank you for updating us! Is your vehicle working to your satisfaction now?

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Q8 6.2
06-22-13, 04:05 AM
Hello Q8 6.2,

Thank you for updating us! Is your vehicle working to your satisfaction now?

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Yes they fixed it for free thank you, it is very easy to tell if you have this problem all you do is look at the rear of the oil pan if you have oil stains.. It dose not drip on the floor as

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-22-13, 06:56 PM
Yes they fixed it for free thank you, it is very easy to tell if you have this problem all you do is look at the rear of the oil pan if you have oil stains.. It dose not drip on the floor as
Hello Q8 6.2,

Thanks for that information! I’m happy to hear that it is working to your satisfaction now. If you ever have any further questions or concerns regarding your vehicle, please feel free to message us privately and we can look into it for you. Thank you very much for taking the time to update us.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care