: what to look out for on post 05 STS????

822Cadillac
07-12-10, 03:13 PM
Hi,

I currently own 1989 Deville that i LOVE (only 77,000 miles and in good condition) that I also use as my daily driver

and looking to get newer used car to add to my Cadillac collection.

I did fair amount of research and narrowed down my search between post 06 DTS and post 05 STS V8.

I really like the sportier look on STS and RWD.
however, I am attracted to DTS as much as I am attracted to STS.

it will be hard for me to pick between these two.....

anyways what is the common problem that I can expect to deal with on post 05 STS?????

and If you were choosing between dts and sts, what made you pick Sts over Dts????

Midnight
07-12-10, 05:34 PM
You should probably go test drive both if you haven't already. I haven't been in a DTS but people say the STS is much "harsher" or "sportier" and that is probably one of the biggest complaints. I actually picked the STS because I prefer to be connected to the road more than floating on air (not dissing the latter, it's just not my thing).

Another problem is that even though the V8 gets something like 17/25 mpg (i'm probably off by one or two), expect to get 18. And at 18, you have around 300 miles of range which is a pretty lousy range for a heavy cruiser like the STS ;)

A third major problem lies with the service, but since you already own a Caddy you probably know about it, or are lucky enough to have a good Cadillac mechanic nearby. Many times the procedure to fix just about anything is "identify a $1000 module in the general vacinity of the problem and replace it, and see if the problem goes away.". That's also not my cup of tea, and if you don't have a warranty, and have no mechanical skills, that can get costly fast.

As far as common problems with things breaking, I can think of many common issues posted about here, but they all are relatively minor, and to be expected on cars with so much gadgetry. Everything from the ash tray not opening to seats wiggling to the start button's paint coming off.. Nothing that is going to leave you stranded, but small annoyances to some. And there's the occasional horror story, that you get from any type of car but nothing repeated here enough for me to remember.

So here's what I can think of as far as "small things" off the top of my head. It's gonna make the STS sound bad but I don't think these common issues are any worse than any other car to be honest.

1) Ashtray won't open
2) Front steats "wiggle"
3) Bluetooth doesn't work so well with iPhone
4) Voice recognition doesn't work
5) Start button paint starts to wear off over time
6) Intake manifold bolts can become loose
7) Chrome on front door handle peels, is sharp
8) Outside front door handle switch or latch mechanism stops working (door won't open except using mechanical key)
9) "fart" sound from climate control system
10) Squeal noise when turning steering wheel

kschwed
07-12-10, 07:01 PM
You should probably go test drive both if you haven't already. I haven't been in a DTS but people say the STS is much "harsher" or "sportier" and that is probably one of the biggest complaints. I actually picked the STS because I prefer to be connected to the road more than floating on air (not dissing the latter, it's just not my thing).

Another problem is that even though the V8 gets something like 17/25 mpg (i'm probably off by one or two), expect to get 18. And at 18, you have around 300 miles of range which is a pretty lousy range for a heavy cruiser like the STS ;)

A third major problem lies with the service, but since you already own a Caddy you probably know about it, or are lucky enough to have a good Cadillac mechanic nearby. Many times the procedure to fix just about anything is "identify a $1000 module in the general vacinity of the problem and replace it, and see if the problem goes away.". That's also not my cup of tea, and if you don't have a warranty, and have no mechanical skills, that can get costly fast.

As far as common problems with things breaking, I can think of many common issues posted about here, but they all are relatively minor, and to be expected on cars with so much gadgetry. Everything from the ash tray not opening to seats wiggling to the start button's paint coming off.. Nothing that is going to leave you stranded, but small annoyances to some. And there's the occasional horror story, that you get from any type of car but nothing repeated here enough for me to remember.

So here's what I can think of as far as "small things" off the top of my head. It's gonna make the STS sound bad but I don't think these common issues are any worse than any other car to be honest.

1) Ashtray won't open
2) Front steats "wiggle"
8) Outside front door handle switch or latch mechanism stops working (door won't open except using mechanical key)

I currently have #2 and #10. #7 has been fixed on both front doors.

SlickCityStan
07-12-10, 07:13 PM
Hi,

I currently own 1989 Deville that i LOVE (only 77,000 miles and in good condition) that I also use as my daily driver

and looking to get newer used car to add to my Cadillac collection.

I did fair amount of research and narrowed down my search between post 06 DTS and post 05 STS V8.

I really like the sportier look on STS and RWD.
however, I am attracted to DTS as much as I am attracted to STS.

it will be hard for me to pick between these two.....

anyways what is the common problem that I can expect to deal with on post 05 STS?????

and If you were choosing between dts and sts, what made you pick Sts over Dts????If you like quiet, interior roominess, sedate crusing, but with the ability to handle long haul interstate driving and passing get the DTS. If you like to haul A** with class and style get an STS(V6-1SC:V8-1SG):D

next2pool
07-12-10, 07:14 PM
It's a good list. I'm a bit surprised about how often I read about poor service. In the Phoenix area, the service has been absolutely great at the various dealers here. For years Cadillac has been trying to improve service at the dealer level and it seems they consistantly score very high on a national level. I was hoping that by now that the losers would have been terminated.

SlickCityStan
07-12-10, 07:19 PM
I have an 05V6-1sc 30000miles and none of the aforementioned problems, yet!

822Cadillac
07-13-10, 01:19 AM
thanks alot for the replies!

i guess i can live with those few small prroblems! haha

ya I really like the sportier look and really enjoyed it when i test drove sts.

however, I also really like conservative look and longer DTS.

it will be hard decision for me because i love both dts and sts haha

it will probably take me few more weeks to decide.

MacMuse
07-13-10, 11:39 AM
1) Ashtray won't open
2) Front steats "wiggle"

Nice list Midnight...

Agree that the handling (sporty v. cushy) is the biggest difference between the two.

As for 'the list':
1 - yeah, bad design. mine holds my insurance card (barely). In other words I use it once every 6 months to change cards.
2 - yep, but fixable. Covered in a service bulletin, so a good dealer should fix this.
3 - yep. yes. ditto. it s***ks. regrettable. It does work, but about 80% of the time outbound calls begin with the screech of the dead - a dial tone type buzz BLASTED through the sound system for under 1 second. OUCH, every dang time. no fix (to date).
4 - yep, VR not good. It should not have been included. too unreliable. You can 'train' your voice to work with it, but it's not worth the effort. ignore it.
5 - button barely requires a tap, go easy on it & shouldn't be a problem
6 - hadn't heard that one
7 - heard that one
8 - seeing others open my car doors makes me think this can be avoided by forcing yourself to be gentle with the handle. You're flipping a switch, not releasing a latch. A light touch is all it takes, which is different than any previous cars.
9 - but usually fixable at a good dealer
10 - be cautious of this one on anything you test drive. could be the start of a series of PS pump & rack/pinion problems.

Hopefully you've asked a similar question in the DTS forum so you can find it's trends as well.

I'm extremely happy with my '06, but I have made extensive use of my CPO warranty coverage (rack & pinion, tranny leak due to bad recall work before I bought car, headlight housing due to condensation, heated steering wheel failure, water pump)

Lifer
07-13-10, 12:10 PM
1) Ashtray won't open
2) Front steats "wiggle"
#1 This is due to the fact that the ashtray is not well designed to handle loose change. Money gets stuck in the device.
#2 The shop tightened the seat bolts.
#9 I had this fixed. Just needed some lubricant.

I also had a coolent leak - and a shock (Magniride) go out.

I would say that the quality of my 2006 STS V8 is very good. Design - well, the interior could have been done more upscale, but it is comfortable. A good car overall.

amgqmp1
07-13-10, 03:55 PM
I have an '05 STS V8 with 23,500 miles.

I've currently got #5, #9, and had #8 repaired out of warranty for $162 at the dealer in 2009. Getting the others done out of warranty are not worth it for me.

#10 seem to only show up on my car in the winter months, and even then is not to the level of annoyance for me.

D&Ds_STS
07-13-10, 05:34 PM
1) Ashtray won't open
2) Front steats "wiggle"
10) Squeal noise when turning steering wheel[/QUOTE]

Have '06 1SG, now with 48,000 miles. I've had 2, 9, and 10 repaired under CPO warranty. 10 required a new steering rack. Now have 7 going on. In addition, have had on the road breakdown (wife in rush hour traffic!) due to coolant pump pulley falling off (likely due to tech error on a repair), coil bank and spark plug replaced, coolant pump replaced (second time?), two wheels replaced due to peeling clear coat. Love the way this car performs and handles, but all this in a year and 10,000 miles makes me a bit nervous. Dealer service dept has been great, no complaints there except I see them too much.

Lifer
07-15-10, 12:17 PM
I forgot this one -- I have had four batteries in this car in three and one half years. The Delcos die with no warning. Always a bad cell. All replace under warranty. However, when the warranty is gone, I will buy an Interstate or something else, but never a Delco.

kschwed
07-15-10, 12:34 PM
1) Ashtray won't open
2) Front steats "wiggle"

Have '06 1SG, now with 48,000 miles. I've had 2, 9, and 10 repaired under CPO warranty. 10 required a new steering rack. Now have 7 going on. In addition, have had on the road breakdown (wife in rush hour traffic!) due to coolant pump pulley falling off (likely due to tech error on a repair), coil bank and spark plug replaced, coolant pump replaced (second time?), two wheels replaced due to peeling clear coat. Love the way this car performs and handles, but all this in a year and 10,000 miles makes me a bit nervous. Dealer service dept has been great, no complaints there except I see them too much.

I have the squeal when I turn too. What exactly is this? I was told by another forum member that its because the wires in there are wrapped a little tight around my column. Is it anything to worry about? Its not all that annoying to me and I can definitely live with it as long as it isnt an indication of something much worse.

EChas3
07-15-10, 11:11 PM
GM won a suit against their supplier of steering columns. This should be covered.

kschwed
07-16-10, 03:45 AM
GM won a suit against their supplier of steering columns. This should be covered.

Yeah but what is the problem? And is this something I can have fixed for free out of warranty?

D&Ds_STS
07-17-10, 09:31 AM
Yeah but what is the problem? And is this something I can have fixed for free out of warranty?
The problem I had was a squealing noise when turning the wheel. Not very loud, but noticeable. I thought it was the turn signal canceling gizmo, no big deal. They replaced the steering rack under CPO warranty. Noise is gone. If yours is under warranty, I would advise you to get it checked. Steering rack replacement can't be cheap.

kschwed
07-17-10, 04:08 PM
I'm not under warranty anymore, as of February. I dont mind the noise that much as long as its not a symptom of a much bigger problem.