: What would you tell the Caddy designer to change on the CTS-V if you could.

Moparman4444
07-12-10, 01:42 PM
Aftering having a V for almost 1 year I would love to sit down with the sesigners and have them change the following to make it a better car:

1. More power 600-650 would be acceptable
2. Change the designs of the wheels to make them easier to keep clean. I would suggest something like what I have attached
3. Better brake pads that stop the car better and do not produce so much dust
4. A lower body, Not that the car itself should be lowered but the top window sill should be lowered 2" to make the body itseld look more aerodynamic.
5. A slightly heigher hood buldge to make it stand out just a little more.
6. Did I say more power yet? if not it needs more.

Kadonny
07-12-10, 01:53 PM
Aftering having a V for almost 1 year I would love to sit down with the sesigners and have them change the following to make it a better car:

2. Change the designs of the wheels to make them easier to keep clean. I would suggest something like what I have attached
4. A lower body, Not that the car itself should be lowered but the top window sill should be lowered 2" to make the body itseld look more aerodynamic.

Um, ok. Not sure I agree with any of them but more power? Um, no, this car is not the Corvette ZR1, it's a high performance luxury sedan that has more than enough HP out of the box. If you want a street racer, buy something else.

My only real complaint I have that I really miss from my older V's is the tilt down mirrors. Damn, I miss that option and it saves the wheels from curb rash.

Luna.
07-12-10, 02:19 PM

Can't say no to #1. :D

#2? Disagree. I would be careful going less than 6 spokes unless you also did something special to the rotors/calipers (e.g. like slotted rotors)

#3? Indifferent

#4? Indifferent

#5? Indifferent

One of my top changes would be more informational display. For instance, in the V1s, there are up to 3 areas you can get information, like tire pressure, instant MPG, digital speed, etc. I love my V1 for this reason. In the V2, however, you can only show ONE of them at a time, which is highly lame. Not a big deal, mind you, just lame.

Also, I'd change the width of the rear rim. GMs decision to put about the smallest, but (barely) acceptable rear rim (in terms of width) for a 285 tire was really strange.

Or, how about forged pistons, like in the ZR1?!?!

Overall, the V2 is just tremendous and a huge improvement over the V1, but there are a few things that make me roll my eyes.

JFJr
07-12-10, 02:19 PM
Ditto on the tilt-down mirror function; but no redesign is needed, just a software update. The 3 DIC buttons on the left side of the dash are not in a good location and should be moved to the center console. The pressure for all 4 tires should be displayed on one screen. A phone-type connection in the rear view mirror shaft would allow us to plug in our radar detectors near the units at the top of the windshield without the hassle of "custom" wiring jobs. The 3 memory and easy-out buttons on the drivers door should be lit when the driver is seated and the door is closed before turning the ignition key. The coat hangers in the rear are not located correctly to hang jackets when the Recaro seats are present. A pistol holster (quick-draw for either an auto or revolver, owner's option) mounted just below the front of the driver's seat, in the center, would be a plus for those with "carry" permits. The annoying "bong" volume in the nav system should be able to be adjusted independent of the voice prompt (a/k/a "Wanda" in my car) volume; but a software update could fix that. A true "valet" key for the glove compartment so we can actually secure our belongings from others using the fob.

backup
07-12-10, 02:30 PM
1. Diff cooler as a factory option for US cars
2. Track brake package, more aggressive pads, maybe carbon ceramic discs ala ZR1, include the diff cooler in the track package
3. Lower the weight somehow
4. Remove the stock crimped exhaust section. Just make the factory exhause flow so it doesn't have to be replaced
5. Am I the only one that can't shut the trunk lid without having the license plate rattle like a snare drum? I have tried bending, shaping, using adhesive insulators etc. 4 mounting screws instead of two please - problem solved.

neuronbob
07-12-10, 02:37 PM
These threads come up occasionally but I think I've been fairly consistent on my answers.

1. Another gallon in the fuel tank
2. TILT MIRRORS ON REVERSE PLEASE
3. A better plastic than that easy-to scratch obsidian trim
4. Rear view camera

Doesn't really need more power for most (though I certainly added power to mine :devil: )
Looks are PERFECT, and I do mean perfect, I don't want it to stand out so much that LEOs can tell what I'm driving from 1/2 mile away.

Luna.
07-12-10, 02:55 PM
A pistol holster (quick-draw for either an auto or revolver, owner's option) mounted just below the front of the driver's seat, in the center, would be a plus for those with "carry" permits.

WTF?

:histeric:

dqw1
07-12-10, 03:09 PM
Someone's going say add an HUD so I'll say it.
I'd like the info system to show a real-time radar so that you can see rain or snow when you look at the weather. I can't recall what car does this, maybe it's Acura.
I'd like to have an easier way to update Gracenotes for newer artist. I hate when I burn a CD and it say's unknown. Or maybe I just need to read the manual.
Actually, they got a lot right with this car.

Hawkeye2
07-12-10, 03:22 PM
My 2 biggest gripes. Bigger gas tank, range is way too small, and wheels that are easier to clean! Kind of minor in the scheme of things.

Oh, a start button would be a nice touch.

Umrswimr
07-12-10, 03:56 PM
Bigger fuel tank
HUD
Lower ride height (get rid of that GD'ed wheel gap!)
A little more authority in the exhaust sound
Folding rear seat (seriously, WTF?)
Slightly narrower pedal spacing for better H/T.

I'll take more power if you're offering. :)

wfo
07-12-10, 04:03 PM
Like the AMG, M series an other high performnce sedans, bring down the body to look tight and level over the wheels. Making a car look great dosn't stop at the body design, but how the car sits...The jacked up rear/ high flood pants look doesn't cut it. The wheel gap absolutley sucks big time. Also offer up an optional 20" wheel pkg..Power is great..wouldn't change anything else.

OldRoadDawg
07-12-10, 04:16 PM
A pistol holster (quick-draw for either an auto or revolver, owner's option) mounted just below the front of the driver's seat, in the center, would be a plus for those with "carry" permits.

The annoying "bong" volume in the nav system should be able to be adjusted independent of the voice prompt
Uh... not sure about that, but a center console big enough to hold my 9mm would be nice, plus access to it that doesn't require being a contortionist.
The door pockets are only good for holding dust. :annoyed:

I had to turn the voice command off because the 'bong' was too annoying.

These threads come up occasionally but I think I've been fairly consistent on my answers.

1. Another gallon in the fuel tank

3. A better plastic than that easy-to scratch obsidian trim

1. Maybe even 2 gallons
3. Anything would be an improvement

One of my top changes would be more informational display. For instance, in the V1s, there are up to 3 areas you can get information, like tire pressure, instant MPG, digital speed, etc. I love my V1 for this reason. In the V2, however, you can only show ONE of them at a time, which is highly lame. Not a big deal, mind you, just lame.

Agreed! One of my little pet peeves. And I don't like the location of the buttons on the panel/or the process to bring up the info. Confusing and takes my attention away from driving.

Additionally....

Put a spare tire/wheel in the trunk! :rant2:

Moparman4444
07-12-10, 04:23 PM
There some great points for consideration.
I like the idea of a larger fuel tank and wider rear wheels that are easier to clean would be nice.

I would also like to see a place a sun glass and key fob holder for the driver. A key fob holder in the arm rest is lame.

BTW Did I mention MORE power? The stock horsies seem ok for a while but once you get use to it then more instant acceleration is required. 650hp should be just about right for a big Caddy.

Caddyscat
07-12-10, 04:27 PM
Better Ipod Navigation - when choosing an artist, it would be nice to see albums then songs, not every single song ALPHABETIZED.
Rear folding seats.
Carbon trim as an option.
Memory seats for the front passenger.
Included tow hook in the trunk.

and, even though it might sound stupid. The V logo on our key fobs instead of the wreath and crest.

4DR_ZR1
07-12-10, 04:57 PM
All great ideas so far!

I'd like Cadillac to take a cue from the their Corvette brethren and make delivery from LR factory available.

Also more personalization options, i.e. -
1) Step up in power (as an option)
2) Slotted brake rotors and color choice on the calipers
3) Exterior colors unique to the V
4) After market exhaust (Corsa was a dealer installed option on the V1)

Not a design or option feature, but require dealers selling the V to have techs trained specifically on V-series vehicles. (I'm dreaming in technicolor now)

DiamondWhtV
07-12-10, 05:00 PM
HUD
Move the center console lid back slightly or manage a different release latch (can't open console lid with drinks in the cup holder)
Have the easy entry wait until I sit down and turn the key before repositioning the seat to the driving position (very annoying)
Actual paddle shift - not the rocker type
Telescope steering that moves out more for us long legged men
Firmer shift points in sport or manual mode for the ATM

Minor stuff but would be nice.

Umrswimr
07-12-10, 05:17 PM
HUD
Move the center console lid back slightly or manage a different release latch (can't open console lid with drinks in the cup holder)
Have the easy entry wait until I sit down and turn the key before repositioning the seat to the driving position (very annoying)
Actual paddle shift - not the rocker type
Telescope steering that moves out more for us long legged men
Firmer shift points in sport or manual mode for the ATM

Minor stuff but would be nice.
I forgot about this one.

I also wish the wheel telescoped out a bit further.

Moparman4444
07-12-10, 05:42 PM
Keep the list going. When we have exausted all the potential changes, I will draft a letter to the chief engineer and submit our areas of contention to make the next version even better.

Umrswimr
07-12-10, 05:45 PM
Keep the list going. When we have exausted all the potential changes, I will draft a letter to the chief engineer and submit our areas of contention to make the next version even better.
I'm sure they'll listen. :lol:

Jeffrey
07-12-10, 05:51 PM
Hi,

HUD
Oil temp. display
Larger fuel tank
More durable front bumper guard
Fold-down rear seats

Best regards,
Jeffrey

2k9RedV
07-12-10, 06:19 PM
Hmm...
Heads Up for sure,
actual push button for start,
moving the DIC buttons,
Being able to see more info in the DIC, like the V1,
larger fuel tank,
I think that is about it, I mean besides more power, of course!
All in all, I love the car and there is only minor things that I would change.

oneman42
07-12-10, 06:52 PM
Power Trunk Lid - it is a luxury car
HTH,
Oneman42

Just Enough
07-12-10, 07:37 PM
It would be nice for them to add a lockable valet power mode to prevent mishaps and excessive tire wear for when the car is in a non-owner's control.

cbloveday
07-12-10, 07:49 PM
Since the visability is poor when changing lanes, I would like to see the side mirrors have Side Blind Side Alerts.

Heated and Cooled Cupholders
Carbon Fibre Trim
Illuminated door sills
Auto rolldown windows on fob (vent car on hot day when approaching)

Luna.
07-12-10, 07:49 PM
I'm a MORON and forgot to mention one of my biggest frustrations...

LAUNCH CONTROL.

Even the Ford GT-500 of prior year(s) had it...

Why this didn't make it in as standard remains a complete mystery to me.

Luna.
07-12-10, 08:02 PM
I'm sure they'll listen. :lol:

I wouldn't blow this off in the slightest. They very well might listen or, at least, consider them. I think some GM people peruse this board right now, to say nothing if a letter was drafted, referencing this forum/post.

Hey, it can't hurt...

Jack B
07-12-10, 09:54 PM
Turn down mirrors for parking
HUD
Push button to start
Hide the Nav Antennea
More engine gauges; oil, battery voltage, and boost gauge

lawnstripes
07-12-10, 10:02 PM
better exhaust- better paint- cooling cup holder- and more power........but gm will have that coming to us pretty soon-- sunroof moves all the way back

make it so the key fob doesnt go crazy everytime its near the cell phone...and then wont work

Club Malibu
07-12-10, 10:30 PM
I wish GM would offer "STAGE" packages for CTS-V's. The Supercharged and the Turbocharged Cobalt SS's have this. Factory authorized more horsepower and more torque with your warranty.

The Supercharged SS's have three stages, the last being race fuel only. They just added injectors, pulley and ECM flash.

The Turbocharged SS has only one stage. It adds a wider band intake pressure sensor and an ECM flash.

Oh I wish GM would offer this! I am willing to pay lots of money to my Cadillac Dealer for this! (hint)

Moparman4444
07-12-10, 10:58 PM
I'm sure they'll listen.

Yes they do listen. Remember one letter is equivelant to 1000 opinions because so few people would take the time to write a letter. I'm not saying it will work for sure but it does has value.

Luna.
07-12-10, 11:08 PM
Moparman, I know you're a big advocate of more HP and I think you'll get a lot of support for that idea... :cool2:

What I find interesting, however, is the seeming lack of interest for (1) wider rear tires (at least 295s, if not 305s) & (2) launch control.

(For the love of God, 295/30s tire height match the 255/35 better than the stock configuration anyways!)

Now, I'm not one who drag races their car at the track, so I like to think that this isn't a "niche" thing, but come on now...

Who wouldn't want to be able to turn on launch control, supported by wider rear tires, and take off from a stop like a monster?

That just seems really fun/cool to me. :)

It just seems very interesting to me that many in this thread seem to desire HUD, push button start, tilt down reverse mirrors, etc., yet don't mention the above. Maybe it's just me, but I'd completely forego HUD and button start if I could get the aforementioned items. :D

HEDP-V
07-12-10, 11:09 PM
Towing eye should come stock with the car, Optional OEM spare tire, Folding power mirrors with reverse tilt down, and directional lights either on the mirrors itself or on the outside mirror cover. And rear camera.

mugatu22
07-13-10, 01:24 AM
#1 HIGHER QUALITY INTERIOR TRIM
--Scrap that cheeeeeap black plastic obsidian trim junk
--Offer REAL carbon fiber as a trim option
--Fix the rattles & squaks

#2 Launch control for the automatic trans.

GBX_HighSpeed
07-13-10, 02:04 AM
Increased gas mileage...

How about a selectable mode for cruising? In this mode, the vehicle would dynamically switch from 8 to 4 cylinders to help increase fuel efficiency and total range. Many other vehicles on the market already have this feature. Might also help offset the Gas Guzzler tax?

Option to independently adjust the accent lighting, or change it altogether.

I donít know about the rest of you, but I find the accent lighting on the passenger dash very distracting when driving at night. (peripheral) The only way to turn it off is to dim the entire dash down to almost nothing. I'd like to keep my instruments bright, but not the accent lighting. IMO, the well lighting on the 09 was a much better option. If you want to see some cool interior lighting, Iím talking to you Cadillac designers, look at what ford has done with the new mustang. It's pretty slick.

Auto sensing wipers...

I know they are trying to save money, but really? 2009s have it, the 2010s don't. For the price, one would expect this to be standard.

More opaque material for sliding sunroof visor (not the glass)

This was obviously an issue that was corrected for the coupe. I had a chance to test drive one and you no longer get the sun shining through the roof of your car. For my 2010, I had the sunroof glass tinted extra dark to reduce the light coming through the translucent visor material.

digital1021
07-13-10, 07:05 AM
My list:
Biggies:
1. Seat EXIT that works like it should
2. Performance Traction Management (PTM), like we were supposed to get from the start, the ZR-1 has it so come on.
3. RainSense Wipers, I know they were pulled do to a supplier issue, but it another supplier could have been found by now.

Lesser:
4. Park Tilt Mirrors, just re-enable them.
5. Power Folding Mirrors, they are on all the Euro spec CTS's
6. More Information (Fluid Level, Temps, etc.), perhaps via the Nav screen
7. Sun Glasses Holder, please
8. Move the Tach to where the Speedometer is and vise versa, keep the DIC where it is. Just a thought.
9. Allow Custom settings for Steering effort, Suspension, and ESP. Recalled by a button similar to the "M" or "AMG" buttons.
10. The Obsidian trim, it looks nice, until someone touches it.

~ Matt.

Cub Cadet
07-13-10, 07:37 AM
1.) Wheel / tire width... this car was POORLY matched to the point where the tires look like they are not wide enough for the tires and had to be 'stretched' to get them to fit on.

2.) NO COUPE - it was a poor attempt at making a 2 door caddy sports car.

Other than those two, I love my car - especially the 6 SPD manual transmission.

V-Love
07-13-10, 08:19 AM
Make the car come in under 3500 lbs.
They do listen. Practically every improvement in V2 was thoroughly discussed in the original V forum.

Vrocks
07-13-10, 09:44 AM
- Proper fluid levels in the transmission and diff.
- 600HP (I think the next CTS-V will have to be around that number).
- HUD.
- Real time weather and traffic info in the nav screen (could be possible now that GM is teaming up with Google - Android, Earth, Maps, Phone).
- Continual map updates via 3/4G or wifi (while at home).
- Lighter.
- Tighter tire to fender gaps.
- Fewer squeaks and rattles and an overall stronger feel to the interior.
- Better metal work near the A and C pillars near the windows.
- LED headlights.
- Rear view camera like the SRX.
- A more comfortable version of the Recaro seats (MB AMG seats feel better and support just as well).
- No wheel clicking.
- More opaque sunroof material.
- Stereo bluetooth.
- Bigger fuel tank.

Moparman4444
07-13-10, 12:03 PM
I would definately be on board with wider wheels. I think that in the interest of saving weight the factory wheels are OK for the stock horse power. But if the power is increased then 305-315 tires are a must. Launch control must be a cheep addition as well as several of the other suggestions. We just need somebody to add the software to the computer.

Jeffrey
07-13-10, 01:06 PM
Hi,

Very surprised I'm still the only one who wants an oil temp. display.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

ruben
07-13-10, 02:24 PM
1. direct injection for more power
2. led daylights
3. led fog lights or white bulb to match headlights
4. easier entry (wait for ignition)
5. fender wells material like infinity MB felt to make less noise rocks water
6. factory upgrades like cold air/cat back keeping factory coverage
7. display information to show in nav screen
8. bring back rainsense
9. folding mirrors and tilting when parking
10. mirror or side turning signal
11. improve rear seat space

Umrswimr
07-13-10, 02:49 PM
Hi,

Very surprised I'm still the only one who wants an oil temp. display.

Best regards,
Jeffrey
I went looking for that yesterday. I assumed that I was not looking in the right place!

translux
07-13-10, 11:39 PM
1. Entry/Exit system that works-what's the point of triggering the steering wheel and seat to return to a driving position when you unlock the car:cookoo:
2. A real emergency break on the manuals-I just know I'm going to let her roll away some day.
3. More headroom via a lower seating position-I'm only 6' tall and with the roof its tight.
5. Auto roll-up rear windows
4. Sunglasses holder/cubby
5. Easily accessible Android/Iphone dock, something out in the open that you can just plug the phone into.
6. Factory/Dealer installed performance options
7. More visceral and aggressive nature via aggressive SC whine and exhaust note
8. Valvetronic exhaust system for dual personality

CTS NV
07-14-10, 12:40 AM
How about
1) More growl from the engine - V1 sounded much more like a sports car
2) Lose the interior squeaks (mostly heard on hot summer days with AC on --must be temp changes)
3) Better interior materials -- mostly good already, but the fake CF and obsidian have lost their novelty pretty quickly
4) Less weight, better fuel economy (DI maybe)
5) AWD - 556HP needs better traction (look at the panamera turbo)
6) Second driver information center - mine stays on digital speedo
7) Slightly lowered stance, bigger wheels or tighter wheelwells/fender gaps
8) More subtlety on the chrome please - the big fat bar across the trunk looks like it belongs on a Fleetwood (sorry)
9) Backup camera

-- and please don't forget --

10) Heavier steering from competitive mode as the default - you can even have an "old/tired person button" to enable the lighter steering

All in all it's an incredible car that will be much harder to give up than the V1

GMX322V S/C
07-14-10, 12:43 AM
Swap tachometer and speedometer positions, swap boost guage for oil pressure guage in the IC. Oil temp would also be nice, but can be inferred from oil press after awhile. Use real piano black lacquered wood or something else completely that is more scratch resistant.

mugatu22
07-14-10, 01:58 AM
Poor 'ole GM...the vast majority of requests in this thread are either already found in more expensive cars like the E63/M5/S6, or are beyond GM's capabilities given the build costs and pricing objectives.

The CTS-V is pretty well optimized for its price right now. It's a bada$$ car in its own right. I'd like to see MANY improvements as well but are the majority of you willing to pay $85-$90K for a Cadillac? GM doesn't think so, or they'd have already built many of these features into the car.

Umrswimr
07-14-10, 09:09 AM
Poor 'ole GM...the vast majority of requests in this thread are either already found in more expensive cars like the E63/M5/S6, or are beyond GM's capabilities given the build costs and pricing objectives.

The CTS-V is pretty well optimized for its price right now. It's a bada$$ car in its own right. I'd like to see MANY improvements as well but are the majority of you willing to pay $85-$90K for a Cadillac? GM doesn't think so, or they'd have already built many of these features into the car.
I agree- many of these things are nit-picky, but some are probably very easy to correct if they'd done it right. Example- the ride height, obsidian trim durabiliy, and the pedal spacing. All of which could have been fixed in development relatively easily, I would think. The other things like exhaust sound, diff cooler, track package and more power can easily be handled by the aftermarket so I'm not going to fault GM.

Vrocks
07-14-10, 09:37 AM

Based upon the improvements from the first generation CTS-V to the current (2nd gen V)... I'm expecting the 3rd generation to: look better, go faster, handle better, have more features, better fit and finish, and Cost More.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next CTS-V tops out around $80,000. The ATS-V will be priced around where the first generation CTS-V was (or slightly higher).

shchow
07-14-10, 09:58 AM
I will second the manual E-brake.
Rear view camera, which I believe is now standard for 2011 model year.
Better exterior finish...

Luna.
07-14-10, 10:13 PM
#2 Launch control for the automatic trans.

I'm curious...

Why only for the automatic trans?

That seems strange

another_lap
07-14-10, 10:56 PM
higher quality interior materials, at least as an option

buttons that indicate the setting (eg. if the suspension is in sport mode, a light in the button should indicate it is on.)

memory seats that can be moved to the memory position at any time (not just in Park)

a customizable information display, one that can show multiple pieces of info at once (like mpg, trip timer, speed, etc. all at once)

less wheel well gap, especially in the back

bigger fuel tank (2+ gallons)

a trunk lid that closes without making a cheap sound like some econobox

replace the cheap obsidian plastic, or whatever that is

having said all that, the V is the finest driving machine I have ever owned, after 10 BMW Ms and Benz AMGs in the last 27 years.

another_lap

mugatu22
07-15-10, 12:55 AM
I'm curious...

Why only for the automatic trans?

That seems strange

B/C launch control as it's generally understood is for auto transmissions only, when the "control" portion limits RPM, clutch engagement, traction control and wheel spin. The launch control aspect of a 6spd manual is right between the left foot, brain and right foot :D

I know Chevy offers a launch control for manuals so that would be a no brainer. I listed "launch control for the 6-auto" because it's a popular option.

ruben
07-15-10, 11:44 AM
Bluetooth Audio

Luna.
07-15-10, 01:08 PM
B/C launch control as it's generally understood is for auto transmissions only, when the "control" portion limits RPM, clutch engagement, traction control and wheel spin. The launch control aspect of a 6spd manual is right between the left foot, brain and right foot :D

I know Chevy offers a launch control for manuals so that would be a no brainer. I listed "launch control for the 6-auto" because it's a popular option.

I don't think there's any question that it would be a welcome addition to this car, regardless of trans.

Further, I'd challenge anyone to argue that launching a manual from a stop is EASIER than an auto. As such, I would say that it would be a far more welcome addition for those driving a manual than an auto.

Z06ified
07-15-10, 01:46 PM
1. Something more durable and practical than the black obsidian "piano black" trim.
2. Bluetooth audio.
3. Backup camera
4. A third mode to the magnetic ride control that offers a softer ride, or at least some noticeable difference between sport and tour.
5. Have the heavier steering setting available in Competition Mode available all the time on a separate switch independent of the Competition Mode setting.
6. Oil, trans, and diff temps available on the DIC.
7. Head-up display
8. Differential cooler
9. Larger fuel tank
10. The new ZR1's Performance Traction Management System (PTMS), or at least a launch control system.

FSTCADY
07-15-10, 03:18 PM
1. Rims that are black on inner surfaces (see 2002 Camaro)
2. More aggressive exhaust note...not crazy loud but something more impressive. Use a baffled exhaust that only opens up when you really give it the beans.
3. Deeper cup holders...I have to drive like grandma if I have a mug in the car or else it will fall over sideways
4. The arm rest position for the driver is too low to rest comfortably while driving (I am 6'0")
5. Hide the rear center tail light rather than making it the most obvious feature on the rear of the car; yes, I know it doubles as a spoiler
6. Sub woofer, at least as an option
7. The black trim in the interior needs to go; looks cheap and scratches too easy
8. Rearview camera, no brainer. Sensors for the front end, or another camera as an option.
9. Solid blind for the sunroof instead of the super cheap looking perforated cover
10. Invest $1,000 or so in generally higher quality materials on the interior surfacses (e.g. the center of the steering wheel)
11. Replace the plastic on the door frames (B pillar) with something that matches the body of the car; the plastic looks super cheap.
12. 2 more gallons in the gas tank
13. More comfortable surface to rest my right leg against while driving; the side of the console is pretty uncomfortable for my leg to lean against.

If anyone at GM is reading this and thinking, "sure, people want this but they wouldn't pay for it", my response would be that you're dead wrong. You could raise the price by $5k and you'd attract way more new buyers that you'd lose if you invest the money in visable quality. I love my car because I am a "car guy" but my wife thinks it looks cheap inside and almost talked me out of buying it. Just imagine how many people might have bought a V but didn't because the refinement just isn't there.

shchow
07-15-10, 03:36 PM
^^I agree completely.
Most people who shop the CTS-V also cross shop the M5 and E63, which are 20-30k more.
Adding another 5-10k probably would not faze this market segment...

CopperSunburstCTS
07-20-10, 12:03 AM
More COLORFULL medium metalic colors for this hot and yourthfull modern looking car (while keeping the conservative ones of course). Vanilla Latte, come on, a dirty white just so they could use the Latte name to attact the Starbucks grown. Remember all the uniuqe Firemist colors they used to have Color was always the exciting thing about picking out a new car, not so more. Less reason to buy new if u can find your exact color configuration on most used lots these days

Launch Control

Selenoid activated dual mode Exhaust of the Corvettes.

More comfortable seat cback hushion thickness and density

Moparman4444
07-20-10, 04:26 PM
The following is an edited version of what I mail into GM about changes in the CTS-V for your review. I know it does not address everyones concerns but did include the vast majority and definately the important ones. I would incourage other members to write in as well to voice their opinions if not included in my list. As a manufactures that builds cars for the public, I would certainly want to know what the ultimate customer thinks and not rely on just a study group wouldn't you.

July 14, 2010

Cadillac Engineering and Development Division
Jennifer Kraska,
Clay Dean
Dave Coates
John Monoogian

Re: 2011-2012 Cadillac CTSV

Dear Sirs:

Please note that I am currently a member of the Cadillac Forum, which is an organization for enthusiasts that drive CTSV cars.

A survey was submitted, querying over 10,000 members, about what improvement or changes they would like to see in the upcoming model. The following list represents the priority, in which changes are requested as follows:

HIGHEST PRIORITY

1. The wheel well spacing is to high and clearance between the wheel well and the tire need to be reduced.
2. More power 600-650 seems to be the general request. If you can 635hp motor in the Corvette then you can certainly put the same one in the Cadillac, which weighs over a thousand pounds more.
3. ZR1 type traction and launch control an absolute must.
4. Heads up display on the windshield.
5. Wider wheels with an aggressive design that is easier to clean and 305-315 centimeter tires would be more appropriate then 285 millimeters.
6. Firmer shift points in the manual mode for automatic transmission. If you are going to create a manual mode for a sportier feel, then the transmission should shift firmer and be sportier not just a gimmicky waste of resources.
7. A longer telescoping steering column for long legged men would be greatly appreciated.
8. The easy entry wait needs software reconfiguring. It shouldnít wait until a person actually sits down and turns on the key before repositioning the seat to the driverís position. The ingress and egress movement of the seat is very annoying. Having the seat tilt its position up and down different ways when adjusting is very annoying. It should just go from the last position to the memory position without contorting itself different ways.
9. A sunglass storage in the consol and an I-pod or a phone stand with a charger base on top of the consol would be a very nice touch to make connection of phone and music more user friendly.
10. Better brakes, and brake pads to eliminate excessive dust buildup.
11. Get rid of the shiny black plastic dash. It looks good but shows all the dust and slight scratches. Wood grain would be better.

SECONDARY REQUESTS

12. There is a great deal of interest in repositioning the tachometer and the speedometer as far as location in the dashboard to make them both more visible.
13. Higher quality interior trim, get ride of the cheap black plastic and carbon fiber and replace with Real wood grain or at least some better material.
14. Many members have requested a bigger fuel tank and or a more fuel efficient engine. Cylinder deactivation would be good for the freeway to help eliminate gas guzzler tax.
15. Sunroof that is more opaque and has more tints so that when the shield is open people in the car do not bake.
16. Fold down rear seat giving more access to the trunk instead of just a slot in the middle for skies.
17. A convenient place for an electronic key fob holder on the consol that is visible and easily accessible. There is no separate place to put your keys when getting into the car other youíre your pocket where they are forgotten. Look at what Audi does.
18. Move the DIC buttons, also would like to be able to see more information in the DIC like in the first generation of the Vís.
19. A lockable valet power mode to prevent mishaps or excess tire ware when the car is in non-owner control.
20. Back-up camera is a definite must and nice to see that it has been added to the 2011 cars.
21. Turn down and folding side mirrors with electronic parking tilt for backing up. The titling mirror for backing up is missed by many.
22. Work on hiding the navigation antenna on top of the roof.
23. More gages such oil, battery voltage, etc.
24. Several members have requested better quality paint on the exterior of the car.
25. Cooled and/or heated cup holders.
26. Other members have asked for stage performance packages such as available on your Cobalt.
27. The towing eye should come stock on cars, or be made an option.
28. Auto sensing wipers should be reimplementation as in the 2009 version.
29. Adjustable steering effort and suspension would be nice on the BMW M Series and Mercedes AMG Series.
30. Lighten the car to bring it in less than 4,000 lbs.
31. Few squeaks and rattles and overall stronger feel in the interior.
32. Redesigned seats so that we do not need a special upgraded Recaro package to get a seat that you should get stock and at a standard price.
33. Eliminate the front wheel clicking.
34. The engine should have a more aggressive exhaust note so it can sound more like a sports car for real enthusiast.
35. All wheel drive option would be phenomenal.
36. Swap the boost gage and the oil pressure gage.

The overwhelming feeling of the Cadillac Forum Board is that the Second Generation Cadillac CTS-V is a phenomenal car, and one of GMís best offerings ever. The slight improvements mentioned above could be integrated for a nominal cost, which should not have a bearing on the overall cost of the car.

I ask your designers to very seriously consider this letter with the understanding that this letter has been drafted with the input from thousands of different members and reflects the general wishes and intent of Cadillac CTS-V owners.

I would again like to thank you for developing such a fine car and for considering these proposed changes.

Very truly yours,

MB/pc

garfin
07-20-10, 05:58 PM
Great stuff! Thank you for spending the time to do this!

Best regards,

Elie

mugatu22
07-20-10, 06:15 PM
Very cool that you took the time to write all of this down. But is it possible that several of these "highest priority" requests may fall on deaf ears since many of them are narrow-focus requests? For example...

1. The wheel well spacing is to high and clearance between the wheel well and the tire need to be reduced.

This is a cosmetic request, and many people do not believe the car must be "slammed" to look good. Perhaps request a ride-lowering option as part of the mag ride system, rather than an overall slam.

2. More power 600-650 seems to be the general request. If you can 635hp motor in the Corvette then you can certainly put the same one in the Cadillac, which weighs over a thousand pounds more.

This would increase fuel consumption during a time of an oil crisis, increase cost, increase wear and decrease reliability. I'd love more power but to consider it a "highest priority"... And why would GM want to out-power their $130K supercar with their $70K 4-door, regardless of the weight? Isn't that marketing rule #1, never outgun your flagship?

6. Firmer shift points in the manual mode for automatic transmission. If you are going to create a manual mode for a sportier feel, then the transmission should shift firmer and be sportier not just a gimmicky waste of resources.

Perhaps request a DCT hydraulic clutch automatic to match what GM's competitors are doing, instead of the torque converter slush box?

"Better brakes," by definition, will produce more brake dust. If you want less brake dust, you'll get less stopping power. Better brakes than you have now = more brake dust than you have now.

11. Get rid of the shiny black plastic dash. It looks good but shows all the dust and slight scratches. Wood grain would be better.

This should be request #1 :bouncy:

StoopidSavant
07-20-10, 06:22 PM
If you have already sent this then it is water under the bridge, but here are grammatical/spelling corrections (red bold, deletions are underlined):

-----------------------------------------------------------------

July 14, 2010

Jennifer Kraska,
Clay Dean
Dave Coates
John Monoogian

Re: 2011-2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Dear Sirs:

Please note that I am currently a member of the Cadillac Forum, which is an organization for enthusiasts that drive CTS-V cars.

A survey was submitted, querying over 10,000 members, about what improvement or changes they would like to see in the upcoming model. The following list represents, theby priority, in which changes are requested as follows:

HIGHEST PRIORITY

1. The wheel well spacing is too high and clearance between the wheel well and the tire need to be reduced.
2. More power; 600-650hp seems to be the general request. If you can put a 635hp motor in the Corvette then you can certainly put the same one in the Cadillac, which weighs over a thousand pounds more.
3. ZR1-type traction and launch control an absolute must.
4. Heads up display on the windshield.
5. Wider wheels with an aggressive design that is easier to clean and 305-315 centimetermillimeter tires would be more appropriate than 285 millimeters.
7. A longer telescoping steering column for long legged menpeople would be greatly appreciated.
8. The easy entry wait needs software reconfiguring. It shouldnít wait until a person actually sits down and turns on the key before repositioning the seat to the driverís position. The ingress and egress movement of the seat is very annoying. Having the seat tilt its position up and down different ways when adjusting is very annoying. It should just go from the last position to the memory position without contorting itself different ways.
9. A sunglass storage in the console and an I-pod or a phone stand with a charger base on top of the console would be a very nice touch to make connection of phone and music more user friendly.

SECONDARY REQUESTS

12. There is a great deal of interest in repositioning the tachometer and the speedometer as far as location in the dashboard to make them both more visible.
13. Higher quality interior trim; get ride of the cheap black plastic and carbon fiber and replace with Rreal wood grain or at least some better material.
14. Many members have requested a bigger fuel tank and or a more fuel efficient engine. Cylinder deactivation would be good for the freeway to help eliminate gas guzzler tax.
15. Sunroof that is more opaque and has more tints so that when the shield is open people in the car do not bake.
16. Fold down rear seat giving more access to the trunk instead of just a slot in the middle for skies.
17. A convenient place for an electronic key fob holder on the console that is visible and easily accessible. There is no separate place to put your keys when getting into the car other youíre your pocket where they are forgotten. Look at what Audi does.
18. Move the DIC buttons,. aAlso would like to be able to see more information in the DIC like in the first generation of the Vís.
19. A lockable valet power mode to prevent mishaps or excess tire warewear when the car is in non-owner control.
20. Back-up camera is a definite must and nice to see that it has been added to the 2011 cars.
21. Turn down and folding side mirrors with electronic parking tilt for backing up. The titlingtilting mirror for backing up is missed by many.
22. Work on hiding the navigation antenna on top of the roof.
23. More gages such oil, battery voltage, etc.
24. Several members have requested better quality paint on the exterior of the car.
25. Cooled and/or heated cup holders.
26. Other members have asked for staged performance packages such as available on your Cobalt.
27. The towing eye should come stock on cars, or be made an option.
28. Auto sensing wipers should be reimplementedation as in the 2009 version.
29. Adjustable steering effort and suspension would be nice as on the BMW M Series and Mercedes AMG Series.
31. Fewer squeaks and rattles and overall stronger feel in the interior.
32. Redesigned seats so that we do not need a special upgraded Recaro package to get a seat that you should get stock and at a standard price.
33. Eliminate the front wheel clicking.
34. The engine should have a more aggressive exhaust note so it can sound more like a sports car for real enthusiast.
35. All wheel drive option would be phenomenal.
36. Swap the boost gage and the oil pressure gage.

The overwhelming feeling of the Cadillac Forum Board is that the Second Generation Cadillac CTS-V is a phenomenal car, and one of GMís best offerings ever. The slight improvements mentioned above could be integrated for a nominal cost, which should not have a bearing on the overall cost of the car.

I ask your designers to very seriously consider this letter with the understanding that this letter has been drafted with the input from thousands of different members and reflects the general wishes and intent of Cadillac CTS-V owners.

I would again like to thank you for developing such a fine car and for considering these proposed changes.

Very truly yours,

MB/pc

Moparman4444
07-20-10, 10:12 PM
What I posted was the semi final draft not the hard copy that got mailed out. I couldnt post that one unless I scanned it. What went out was fine but thanks for nit picking

lawnstripes
07-20-10, 10:42 PM
nice list of things!!

mugatu22
07-21-10, 02:05 AM
Savant's "nit picking" gave the document proper grammar and spelling, which you obviously have difficulty with. Seems proper spelling & grammar is appropriate for a letter going to GM and its engineering team. :thepan:

Club Malibu
07-21-10, 12:49 PM

MB/pc

This is just IMHO... (bare with me)

I do not want Cylinder Deactivation. I have driven the Impalas (as rental cars) that have this and I hate it! You can totally feel the change and it's annoying!!!! Plus, when in cruise control at anything over 55, going up hills, the car stays in half the cylinders with less than have the torque and the car will slow down by as much as 3 miles per hour.

When in deactivation mode and you want to accelerate, there is a long delay when it switches to all cylinders. By long, I mean you notice it and that's enough.

The cylinder deactivation adds complexity to the valve train. The Impalas can only use I think 5W-20 oil. (How long before that breaks????)

So if the V3 has Cylinder Deactivation, I betcha the first thing Jesse does is make an override for it and keep it on all 8.

Yes, ideally, I would love to get 35 mpg in this car but I did not buy this car to save gas.

I don't know about you guys, but I am truly scared of the whole CAFE 2016 thing. The reason why I bought the car is because we are in the new muscle car era now which may come to an abrupt end in 2016. (Did you see the Ferrari Hybrid??? It's green. And their hybrid is the only way they can pass their upcoming Euro standard.)

Now here's where I really go against the grain....

I wish the V2 weighed even more. A good 4500-5000 pounds is what I truly wanted. (I'll settle for the 4250 ish.) Why???? Safety. The heavier car wins. Period. When two objects collide, the amount of energy absorbed is inversely proportional to the mass of the objects. It's simple F=mA.

I'm preparing myself now for the flames.

I wanted a large, heavy car that is really, really fast and handle really well. (7:59 on the 'Ring!)

Domsz06
07-22-10, 09:49 AM
your guys mirror's don't tilt down when you are in reverse? I can set mine to driver, passenger or both. I do wish I could fold them in like the MB and M3's...

Other then that all I miss is the rear camera, wider tires and get rid of the gap.

Oh yeah, that black interior crap should be replaced with CF. Love the car, more hp? that's what mods are for ;)

oh yeah and a DCT. I'll be keeping this car forever, well until a DCT comes out then that will be my last car :) LOL

Z06ified
07-22-10, 10:18 AM
your guys mirror's don't tilt down when you are in reverse? I can set mine to driver, passenger or both. I do wish I could fold them in like the MB and M3's...

No, mine do not tilt down in reverse, and there's no setting for it either. Mine do fold, however, but they're not power folding. Is yours an early '09 build?

Domsz06
07-22-10, 11:11 AM
No, mine do not tilt down in reverse, and there's no setting for it either. Mine do fold, however, but they're not power folding. Is yours an early '09 build?
I honestly don't know. I Just picked it up 2 weeks ago. I can look on the drivers side door jam and see when it was made. I just have to use the DIC to set it up and it's in the advanced settings. Works great.

whisler151
07-22-10, 11:24 AM
The following is an edited version of what I mail into GM about changes in the CTS-V for your review. I know it does not address everyones concerns but did include the vast majority and definately the important ones. I would incourage other members to write in as well to voice their opinions if not included in my list. As a manufactures that builds cars for the public, I would certainly want to know what the ultimate customer thinks and not rely on just a study group wouldn't you.

July 14, 2010

Jennifer Kraska,
Clay Dean
Dave Coates
John Monoogian

Re: 2011-2012 Cadillac CTSV

Dear Sirs:

Please...

Being that this letter addressed to both genders (Assuming Jenifer is a female and Clay, Dave and John are males), I would address it Dear Sirs and Madam or use a neutral greeting.

Domsz06
07-22-10, 06:03 PM

Mine was built in 08/08.........

Diamond-V
07-23-10, 12:25 AM
- Laser guided cruise control - Standard on Infiniti M45
- Sun Glasses Holder - seems simple enough right?
- Larger Glove Box
- LED License Plate Lights (to match the reverse lights)
- Back Up Camera (It's a $70k car guys!!)
- Lower the Rear Ride Heigth (so that it sits more level)
- Power Trunk Lid
- More Interior LED Lights
- Rear A/C Vent "Shut Off" feature to Better Cool Front Passangers (when no one is in rear seats)
- Amber Colored "Low Fuel" Warning Light (if the car has one it does not work on my car)
- Offer a NEW/REVISED/BETTER Automatic Transmission (make it like the German's do!)
- Actual Paddle Shifters
- Lighted Door Sill Insignea
- Automatic Up & Down Windows for ALL Windows!
- Design the Middle Console Pad to Slide Forward Upon Command, for better comfort to acess the controls.