: Cadillac non-V and V question

mpouls1
07-12-10, 01:46 PM
Is it possible to make an STS or regular CTS as fast or almost as fast as the stock CTS-V's, specifically the STS? I am talking about regular mod's, not major overhauls and excluding juice. I saw a Cadillac running and it looked like an '05-'07 STS build. It did not have the wire mesh "V" grille. It was running almost as fast as a stock CTS-V. The motor does not seem to add up to that kind of power. Maybe it did have juice. It did not have the V grille so this has been nagging me. Have searched everywhere and it seems I am a noob on the other models or platforms and I'm not the best gear-head.

baabootoo
07-12-10, 02:08 PM
No way; w/o major work. The engine is a lot smaller, the brakes are too, the trans isn't as strong, and it's a different platform.

CIWS
07-12-10, 02:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kl-XS4_9jU

dons
07-12-10, 03:08 PM
Is it possible to make an STS or regular CTS as fast or almost as fast as the stock CTS-V's, specifically the STS? I am talking about regular mod's, not major overhauls and excluding juice. I saw a Cadillac running and it looked like an '05-'07 STS build. It did not have the wire mesh "V" grille. It was running almost as fast as a stock CTS-V. The motor does not seem to add up to that kind of power. Maybe it did have juice. It did not have the V grille so this has been nagging me. Have searched everywhere and it seems I am a noob on the other models or platforms and I'm not the best gear-head.

I had a 2007 STS-V and all was great with me until I decided that I wanted more power from it. I could not find any "tuner" that would work on it, and finally gave up and traded it for an 09 CTS-V. After modifying my 09 CTS-V which now has 608 RWHP, I realized that I made the right choice. There is no way that the STS-V could match the performance of a stock CTS-V, and if you modified the STS-V you probably would go broke in the process. Buy a CTS-V. You will not regret it. The STS-V you saw must have had the laughing gas in it to make it competitive with a stock CTS-V. Have a good day. DonS

newcadman
07-12-10, 05:43 PM
For what it's worth ,I witnessed a sts-v run a 12.80 @ 109 mph with a 1.93 60' time on Michelin PS2 tires.
The car was apparently stock except for a D3 cai and a dyno tune!
According to reports the car dynoed 400 rwhp after doing a tune and cai.
Not really too bad when you think of it, but unfortunately the rear ends on them were the weak links and proved to be their "achilles " heel. Same rear ends as the V1, I believe?
That being the case ,probably not a good idea not to hard launch them as done at the dragstrip.

dons
07-12-10, 08:23 PM
For what it's worth ,I witnessed a sts-v run a 12.80 @ 109 mph with a 1.93 60' time on Michelin PS2 tires.
The car was apparently stock except for a D3 cai and a dyno tune!
According to reports the car dynoed 400 rwhp after doing a tune and cai.
Not really too bad when you think of it, but unfortunately the rear ends on them were the weak links and proved to be their "achilles " heel. Same rear ends as the V1, I believe?
That being the case ,probably not a good idea not to hard launch them as done at the dragstrip.

That's pretty good as the STS-V shows in stock trim to do the quarter at 13.6. I think that the STS-V was meant to be a good performer ( I enjoyed mine somewhat) but I don't think they were built to do what the V2 will do.

What do you drive? DonS

newcadman
07-12-10, 09:40 PM
DonS
Perhaps you misunderstood. The 12.80 I witnessed was when I happened to be at the track one day and watched an sts-v run. I was not running the car.
I'm no expert on the sts-v, but I think if you read some of the road tests and check out the DRAG TIMES web site I think you'll find they run better than the 13.6 stock you mentioned.
I drive an 09 CTS-V to answer your question about what do I drive.

dons
07-12-10, 10:38 PM
DonS
Perhaps you misunderstood. The 12.80 I witnessed was when I happened to be at the track one day and watched an sts-v run. I was not running the car.
I'm no expert on the sts-v, but I think if you read some of the road tests and check out the DRAG TIMES web site I think you'll find they run better than the 13.6 stock you mentioned.
I drive an 09 CTS-V to answer your question about what do I drive.

No problem, the STS-V's are nice, and it doesn't suprise me that they can do that well. I never took mine to the drags. I hope to take my V2 to the drags races soon. Probably will try it at the 1/8 mile track. In March I took my V2 to the Texas Mile in Goliad Texas. From a standing start at the end of the mile marker I clocked 172.2 in automatic mode. DosS

CIWS
07-13-10, 09:04 AM

13.0-13.4 stock. If they're getting below 13.0 the car has some form of mods.

asabase
07-13-10, 10:05 AM
What about the XLR-V? I parked next to a nice looking one yesterday.

mpouls1
07-13-10, 07:16 PM
To describe more in detail my original question: A Cadillac STS was following behind me on I90E this weekend on my way to a sox game. I had 3 passengers and around maybe 100bs in the trunk (cooler, chairs, etc.) He passed me and I did not see the V emblem, but then I tried to pass him and was having some difficulties.

GMX322V S/C
07-14-10, 12:42 AM
The last time I was at D3, they were in progress on an STS-V that looks like it will be quite formidable. Out of respect for the owner's privacy, I'll let D3 decide if they would like to comment further on the build, but if the owner leaves it stock looking, it's going to be one hell of a sleeper (I mean as far as any V can be a sleeper :p)...

CIWS
07-14-10, 08:44 AM
To describe more in detail my original question: A Cadillac STS was following behind me on I90E this weekend on my way to a sox game. I had 3 passengers and around maybe 100bs in the trunk (cooler, chairs, etc.) He passed me and I did not see the V emblem, but then I tried to pass him and was having some difficulties.

In any case it sounds like it was a modified car, be it an STS-V or an STS someone has done some work on. A normal STS might make for a decent LS engine swap.