: HELP! Ignition Switch; Cant start car

1980coupe
07-12-10, 01:33 AM
so finally my 80 coupe joins the 78 and 79 for having ignition switch problems. The 79 keys are stuck in and can not release so ignition switch removed at base of column and now starts with small screwdriver. The 79 keys go in, out but won't crank over (same as my 80 now) so two wires start the 78 and my 80. I want to fix it on the 80, is it simple, looks complicated to me.
For the time being I'm using two wires.

1980coupe
07-12-10, 11:04 PM
Anyone?:confused:
Someone's Caddy must have had similar or exact problems. Would like to know if this is a simple thing to do or pay someone to do it.

carnut
07-21-10, 09:15 PM
The key tumbler assembly is removed by turning the key back to the accessory position and inserting a thin stiff wire into the hole in the chrome bezel below the key. Then you get a new tumbler with key and reinstall. If the lock "rack" broke then the whole upper steering column must be disassembled to access this rack, best left to a professional because of the special tools necc.

1980coupe
07-21-10, 10:27 PM
The key tumbler assembly is removed by turning the key back to the accessory position and inserting a thin stiff wire into the hole in the chrome bezel below the key. Then you get a new tumbler with key and reinstall. If the lock "rack" broke then the whole upper steering column must be disassembled to access this rack, best left to a professional because of the special tools necc.

There's no hole below the key. would have to remove steering wheel and internal componets. Special tools??? Don't need "special tools" saw vids on youtube on how it's done and will do it myself to save $.

Thanks for your input. Appreciate it :)

carnut
07-21-10, 11:15 PM
Look again. The chrome bezel you push with your thumb to rotate the key usually has a small access hole, if not then the wheel must be removed with a wheel puller tool and then a special tool is threaded onto the strg shaft to depress the locking plate thats under serious tension, then the strg shaft lock ring is removed then the locking plate and spring, then you depress a pin to remove the lock tumbler.

1980coupe
07-21-10, 11:53 PM
Look again. The chrome bezel you push with your thumb to rotate the key usually has a small access hole, if not then the wheel must be removed with a wheel puller tool and then a special tool is threaded onto the strg shaft to depress the locking plate thats under serious tension, then the strg shaft lock ring is removed then the locking plate and spring, then you depress a pin to remove the lock tumbler.

I'll check but I don't think so. So it's on the tumbler assembly part? It's not under the column where the tumbler is.
Shouldn't be a problem to remove steering wheel, I have already done that to replace the cracked that I had and placed an almost NOS one found on eBay.
The vids I saw on GM removal didn't depress a pin, they had to remove a bolt. I'll see when I'll take on the task. For now I just simply touch the 2 wires
coming from above the cruise control cover. :)

1980coupe
07-23-12, 01:02 AM
Ha, 2 years already and still have not fixed it. I just use a push button to start....