: Rear diff overheat

dvandentop
07-12-10, 12:51 AM
gotta love how gm took care of the export cars but expect us USA buyers to front the 2k extra for the rear diff cooler:thepan:, light came on yesterday on me, towards then end a few 20 min sessions
Why this wasnt made standard on all cars is beyond me

baabootoo
07-12-10, 12:54 AM
Have you checked the other posts on this? Maybe you have a low level is all. Mine was fine after 4 sessions, with the temps in the 90s, but the level was spot on too.

dvandentop
07-12-10, 01:02 AM
will check it out then figured mine was ok since early 09 build but maybe not

wait4me
07-12-10, 01:20 AM
ill have a 600-700 dollar kit this week for you guys as soon as i make sure all the parts fit good.

LFTW8S
07-12-10, 01:26 AM
gotta love how gm took care of the export cars but expect us USA buyers to front the 2k extra for the rear diff cooler:thepan:, light came on yesterday on me, towards then end a few 20 min sessions

Am I reading this right? The V has a warning light for the rear diff overheat?

dvandentop
07-12-10, 02:01 AM
yep comes up on dic cluster, gotta love it

MReiland
07-12-10, 08:02 AM

Yep, It has been brought up before, it's a beast of a unit, I think after the V1 problems the designers beefed it up but if memory of the previous thread serves me right it can't shed heat as fast as an aluminum housing diff. I don't know how many cars have a temp sensor on the rear diff, so it is hard to compare to other vehicles to know if they have the exact same problem, just not annunciated to the driver. Some have changed the rear diff oil to various different types and haven't had the light come on. I think the last official response from Cad was that if you were driving your car at sustained high speeds you should get the diff cooler installed. I believe that the exported versions are expected to sustain high speeds and therfore get the unit, but I also believe the base price is adjusted for the added content.

blkCTSv
07-12-10, 03:53 PM
I've had my D3 version for several months now. I was consistently getting the warning at every session at the track. I have a manual switch as well, so I get it warmed up and kick it on before I go out. I ran the Autoclub Speedway in California and Willow Springs with 150 degree track temps without getting the warning light once. I'm happy with it. -Bob

BeagleBrains
07-12-10, 04:27 PM
Available Diff Cooler: http://www.d3cadillac.com/news/latest-news/d3-cts-v-rear-differential-cooler

Communication on engineering needs to be exchanged between Chevrolet Corvette and Cadillac CTS V production. I have owned three Corvettes with the Z51 Option (2010+ is the Gran Sport Option) which provides engine and differential oil cooler installation. Since the V is a variation on the Corvette Drive Train, it is only logical (I know; too much to ask if their narrow engineering paradigm:bonkers:) to provide similar reliability options proven effective on the Corvette.
Here is a link for installation of the Corvette Engine Oil Cooler applied to a CTS V:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/oilcooler/index.html

Umrswimr
07-12-10, 06:30 PM
Available Diff Cooler: http://www.d3cadillac.com/news/latest-news/d3-cts-v-rear-differential-cooler

Communication on engineering needs to be exchanged between Chevrolet Corvette and Cadillac CTS V production. I have owned three Corvettes with the Z51 Option (2010+ is the Gran Sport Option) which provides engine and differential oil cooler installation. Since the V is a variation on the Corvette Drive Train, it is only logical (I know; too much to ask if their narrow engineering paradigm:bonkers:) to provide similar reliability options proven effective on the Corvette.
Here is a link for installation of the Corvette Engine Oil Cooler applied to a CTS V:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/oilcooler/index.html
I have a very similar setup on my C5, though I also added a thermostat. Oil temps NEVER go above 250*, even after a full 20 minute lapping session in the middle of 100+ summer. It's actually quite easy to do. The biggest PITA was installing the adapter with my LT headers (I had to cut a 3/4" wrench in half). I had to fab up a bracket for the cooler, but it was really pretty easy. Makes a MASSIVE difference.

looking to do something similar with the diff cooler for our -V as well. It doesn't have to me much. I have a small Setrab cooler (from a Noble M1), fab up some lines, wire up a pump, and figure out where to mount it. I think a fan is probably overkill here...

Dr. Design
07-12-10, 07:29 PM
Yeah this is a common problem for people looking to enjoy some spirited driving. We offer a complete bolt in kit for the 09/10 CTS-V application.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/09CTSV_DiffCooler_ExplodedView_002_.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/09CTSV_DiffCooler_InstalledView_001.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/09CTSVDiffCooler_Artwork_FINAL_NoP.jpg

Let us know if there are any questions. These are in stock and ready to ship.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

baabootoo
07-13-10, 01:07 AM
Wow, that's quite an extravagent dohickey!

fastman
07-13-10, 01:42 AM
Very nice! How much and does it fit the Coupe?

Yeah this is a common problem for people looking to enjoy some spirited driving. We offer a complete bolt in kit for the 09/10 CTS-V application.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/09CTSV_DiffCooler_ExplodedView_002_.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/09CTSV_DiffCooler_InstalledView_001.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/09CTSVDiffCooler_Artwork_FINAL_NoP.jpg

Let us know if there are any questions. These are in stock and ready to ship.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Frank Rizzo
07-13-10, 02:26 AM
I've had my D3 version for several months now. I was consistently getting the warning at every session at the track. I have a manual switch as well, so I get it warmed up and kick it on before I go out. I ran the Autoclub Speedway in California and Willow Springs with 150 degree track temps without getting the warning light once. I'm happy with it. -Bob

Were you at Big Willow with Speedventures earlier this year - maybe around March?

Silver -V-
07-13-10, 10:57 AM

I have thought I might some day need a rear diff. cooler. I changed my differential fluid at 1000 miles and made sure it was properly filled to the top. Since then I haven't had a light come on. I track as often as you do, and on some very demanding tracks in the Texas heat. I found that cleaning out the factory oil, and filling with new (GM oil plus additive) was the cure. 20 minutes is tough on the rear end, but with 40 -60 minutes down time between sessions is ample time to cool down and get ready to run again.

The only place I cannot dissapate enough heat is in the brakes. I have gone through rotors on the front, and 3 sets of pads, plus two sets in the back. Make sure your brake fluid is good, and flush it regularly. I would like to find some ducting to cool the rear brakes, and find a way to get more air on the fronts through the vents.

dvandentop
07-13-10, 11:00 AM
yeah i was seeing 950 degree front rotor temps once in the bits

how much are the stock rotors for front and rears?

Silver -V-
07-13-10, 11:55 AM
I don't have the paperwork here, but I seem to recall fronts run close to $200 from the dealer, and rears around $120. Make sure your dealer stocks them. My 1st rotor replacement had to be shipped from Lansing, as no dealers in North Texas had any in stock.

Umrswimr
07-13-10, 01:20 PM
I don't have the paperwork here, but I seem to recall fronts run close to $200 from the dealer, and rears around $120. Make sure your dealer stocks them. My 1st rotor replacement had to be shipped from Lansing, as no dealers in North Texas had any in stock.
Wow. Makes me wonder if I'd rather keep tracking my C5. $27 each at Napa. :lol:

What pads are you running?

Silver -V-
07-13-10, 02:01 PM
Wow. Makes me wonder if I'd rather keep tracking my C5. $27 each at Napa. :lol:

What pads are you running?

I went through the stock pads fairly quickly. They are very good for factory pads on a 4200 lb. car. The problem is they get very "gummy" under big heat, and leave material on the rotor after a tough track session. I know others have said they are disappointed in the stock pads, but I can't imagine GM spec'ing out any better stock pad for this car. If the pads are bedded in properly, they modulate very well and don't lose grip. The only downfall is high heat kills them, and in Texas we have very demanding temperatures from June through October. The heat cycles caused a front set of pads to crack and come apart while on track. This was partially due to my not changing out pads when they were low on material as I was having way too much fun. This caused the caliper to grab the rotor, and I had to invest in new parts. (Always take care of your brakes, and they will take care of you!)

I am now running the Hawk DTC-30 track pads. These are great for track use. I have said before, they stop the car "thisfast" but leave a lot of dust and squeal like a track pad. The best compromise has been the Hawk HP+. The HP+ stops well, and has less dust than the factory pad. For very little dust, and every day driving, the Hawk Ceramics or HP-S do well, but donít track them, as they just donít stop well in those conditions. Depending on the track you are driving on, different pads and rotor combinations may work better.

As for your rotors for the Corvette from Napa, we just donít have the selection for our fitment yet. I donít suggest you put those Napa rotors on a car that is almost 800 lbs. heavier and expect the same results. The V2 would eat those rotors in minutes.

I happen to drive on Eagle's Canyon (www.eaglescanyon.com) fairly often, and it is known to be very tough on brakes. I am hoping that soon, more after market rotors and pads will become available. But for now, the factory stuff works well on a street car with hidden aspirations to double as a track day car. I donít plan on upgrading to an aftermarket brake set, and for now, I feel I have the best combination for street and 2x/month track work.

baabootoo
07-13-10, 02:22 PM
yeah i was seeing 950 degree front rotor temps once in the bits

how much are the stock rotors for front and rears?

When mine got to 674F, In was worried too. Since most steels don't melt until well over 2000F, we have a ways to go then!!!!!

Umrswimr
07-13-10, 03:27 PM
I went through the stock pads fairly quickly. They are very good for factory pads on a 4200 lb. car. The problem is they get very "gummy" under big heat, and leave material on the rotor after a tough track session. I know others have said they are disappointed in the stock pads, but I can't imagine GM spec'ing out any better stock pad for this car. If the pads are bedded in properly, they modulate very well and don't lose grip. The only downfall is high heat kills them, and in Texas we have very demanding temperatures from June through October. The heat cycles caused a front set of pads to crack and come apart while on track. This was partially due to my not changing out pads when they were low on material as I was having way too much fun. This caused the caliper to grab the rotor, and I had to invest in new parts. (Always take care of your brakes, and they will take care of you!)

I am now running the Hawk DTC-30 track pads. These are great for track use. I have said before, they stop the car "thisfast" but leave a lot of dust and squeal like a track pad. The best compromise has been the Hawk HP+. The HP+ stops well, and has less dust than the factory pad. For very little dust, and every day driving, the Hawk Ceramics or HP-S do well, but don’t track them, as they just don’t stop well in those conditions. Depending on the track you are driving on, different pads and rotor combinations may work better.

As for your rotors for the Corvette from Napa, we just don’t have the selection for our fitment yet. I don’t suggest you put those Napa rotors on a car that is almost 800 lbs. heavier and expect the same results. The V2 would eat those rotors in minutes.

I happen to drive on Eagle's Canyon (www.eaglescanyon.com) fairly often, and it is known to be very tough on brakes. I am hoping that soon, more after market rotors and pads will become available. But for now, the factory stuff works well on a street car with hidden aspirations to double as a track day car. I don’t plan on upgrading to an aftermarket brake set, and for now, I feel I have the best combination for street and 2x/month track work.
Who do you run with out there? I run with Apex driving Academy out at MSR, but I've been meaning to go out to Eagle's Canyon.

I certainly wouldn't put the C5 NAPA rotors on our -V. :D I was just commenting that my C5 is looking like a better (cheaper!) track weapon at the moment!

I did not have very good luck with the Hawk HP+ pads on my Corvettes. I found they wore very quickly, faded badly, and were terrifying on the street until they got warm. Does EBC make track pads for our -V yet? The EBC Yellows were phenominal, but clearly not for daily use!

Silver -V-
07-13-10, 06:05 PM
Who do you run with out there? I run with Apex driving Academy out at MSR, but I've been meaning to go out to Eagle's Canyon.

I certainly wouldn't put the C5 NAPA rotors on our -V. :D I was just commenting that my C5 is looking like a better (cheaper!) track weapon at the moment!

I did not have very good luck with the Hawk HP+ pads on my Corvettes. I found they wore very quickly, faded badly, and were terrifying on the street until they got warm. Does EBC make track pads for our -V yet? The EBC Yellows were phenominal, but clearly not for daily use!

I run out at Eagle's Canyon with some of the other members and during their Eagles Canyon open track days. I have also run there with Driver's Edge for their DE days, as well as at MSR and several other track's they run. There are a few other members on the board who I have been out at MSR and Eagle's Canyon with on member/guest days. I am looking at another local "V" day for Eagles Canyon in September. I will post date and times when plans are fleshed out better.

Umrswimr
07-13-10, 07:38 PM
How many cars are on-track during the open lapping days at EC? Never liked running with TDE because of the traffic. :(

I will DEFINATELY be out there for a -V day, just make sure it doesn't conflict with Chump Car. :)

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/Umrswimr/Chump%20Car/DSC_3520.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/Umrswimr/Chump%20Car/DSC_3562.jpg

Dr. Design
07-14-10, 08:44 PM
Hello,
This will not fit the coupe in its current configuration. However we will build a complete quality system for the coupe as well.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Very nice! How much and does it fit the Coupe?