: Blew the rad at Autocross today

repenttokyo
07-11-10, 07:37 PM
So I managed to get about 20 minutes of testing and tuning done at autocross today before blowing two holes in the rad - on on the top right and one on the back of the same area. tons of steam, etc etc, I got it shut down quick and the car didn't heat, but somewhat embarrassing given that I had to have the car flatbedded out in front of everyone at the beginning of the day. My GF finished the day in her E34, so at least her day wasn't ruined too.

I think the worst part was pushing it into the garage which it just barely fits into and having the rear bumper crunch against the back wall, scratching the paint.

I ordered a new rad from gmpartsdirect.com, and hopefully it will get here before I have to drive to Maine in 2 weeks. Until then, back to the Miata and hoping it doesn't rain on a daily basis!

Just venting! - Like my rad!

mitchntx
07-11-10, 08:05 PM
Why would the radiator explode?

Pics of the failure?

repenttokyo
07-11-10, 08:06 PM
Why would the radiator explode?

well, it's a higher mileage car on its original rad, and the design of the 04-05 rad is utter garbage.

darkman
07-11-10, 09:00 PM
Attached is the original technical service bulletin on the early radiators. As I understand it the replacement design is not substantially better.

AAIIIC
07-13-10, 10:13 AM
Interesting. Didn't realize I had been open tracking with a ticking timebomb up there in the nose of the car!

Is the '06-07 radiator significantly different that the revised/improved '04-05? Is there some reason the '06-07 radiator wouldn't be compatible with an '04-05?

darkman
07-13-10, 12:09 PM
Interesting. Didn't realize I had been open tracking with a ticking timebomb up there in the nose of the car!

Is the '06-07 radiator significantly different that the revised/improved '04-05? Is there some reason the '06-07 radiator wouldn't be compatible with an '04-05?

Well, according to GMPartsDirect, which I use as a database only, the 2004/2005 will fit either a 5.7 Liter or 6.0 liter, has an MRSP of $350 and a discount price of $217 before shipping. For the 2007 V, they show an MRSP of $565 and a discount price of $350, but it also indicates that it will fit either 5.7 or 6.0 liter. This is odd since GM normally retires a part in favor of a subsequent part rather than keeping both. It may take Luke to tell us what the deal is.