: Front Suspension Rattle

ebferro
07-11-10, 05:52 PM
My 6 week old 2010 CTS-V now has about 4400 miles on it. When I first received the car, the suspension was totally quiet no matter what type of road surface the car was moving over. The car felt tight. Now, I think it's developed a rattle that seems to occur when I go over a road surface with multiple small bumps of quantity two or more in a row. The rattle seems to be in the right front suspension. I first noticed it about 1500 miles ago and it was a very faint rattle. It now seems to be more pronounced and louder. I'm afraid if I go to the dealer and tell him about this, they're going to take me for crazy because it's not a loud rattle and you have to be on the right type of road surface to hear it. I also don't want them to tell me that there is no problem there as I'm sure that there is a rattle there. Has anyone else experienced anything like this and if so, can you maybe tell me what the problem was so that I can tell the dealer where to look and tell them that other people have experienced the same issue?
Thanks in advance for the assistance.

PalmSpringsGem
01-11-14, 02:28 PM
I just had my brand new 2013 CTS in the shop for the very same thing. Supposedly it was the front left upper control arm but after I picked it up this morning the same noise was still there (and now with only 761 mi on it). I took it to my friend who knows cars and we checked the front and trunk. It appears we may be honing in on the problem...the plastic engine covers are not secure (one was not placed down on its anchor at all and the right side doesn't seem to have any anchor system at all) and it is conceivable that a very low speed on a washboard type road triggers the right vibration to cause the plastic to hit the top of the engine. Hope this helps all those who are having similar issues. At least it is something to look at
first.

DCV
01-11-14, 08:50 PM
I have a squeak in the right front suspension, sounds like a bird chirping.

baabootoo
01-12-14, 11:39 AM
I have more of a plastic scraping sound, but only under 20?F. It goes away after driving a while too. They replaced a bunch of things, but its still there. I have no clue also. If anything, it sounds like the plastic shock dust cover scraping.

vagondr
01-12-14, 11:48 AM
Had a similar annoying intermittent rattle in the right rear of my wagon. With the wheel off I found a hose or wire harness resting on the plastic wheel well liner. Flicking it reproduced the sound. I just pushed it out of the way and bent the plastic liner. Problem solved. Strange how such a simple solution can be so satisfying.

DiamondWhtV
01-14-14, 11:43 AM
Guess I need to jump on this thread and subscribe. My right front squawks badly with suspension movement (53K on the clock). Noise is very pronounced with the lower outside temps over the last several weeks, however now that the weather has warmed it isn't so noticable. I suspect it is in the bushings for the sway bar or control arms. Haven't taken it to the dealer yet, but planning to in a couple of weeks.

Will see what the dealer says. I have a great dealer service department, so I think they will get it fixed.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-14-14, 12:08 PM
I just had my brand new 2013 CTS in the shop for the very same thing. Supposedly it was the front left upper control arm but after I picked it up this morning the same noise was still there (and now with only 761 mi on it). I took it to my friend who knows cars and we checked the front and trunk. It appears we may be honing in on the problem...the plastic engine covers are not secure (one was not placed down on its anchor at all and the right side doesn't seem to have any anchor system at all) and it is conceivable that a very low speed on a washboard type road triggers the right vibration to cause the plastic to hit the top of the engine. Hope this helps all those who are having similar issues. At least it is something to look at
first.

Hello PalmSpringsGem,

I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your CTS making this rattling noise and that when you picked your vehicle up from the dealership the noise was still there. Please keep us updated if you decide to take your vehicle back to the dealership and would like my assistance in working with them. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

DCV
01-14-14, 12:19 PM
Exactly that's what I am getting. Loud squeaks in my right front suspension over bumps and ripples. I'm taking mine in on Friday. Gets worse when cold.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-16-14, 11:44 AM
Exactly that's what I am getting. Loud squeaks in my right front suspension over bumps and ripples. I'm taking mine in on Friday. Gets worse when cold.

Hi DCV,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing a vehicle squeaking noise with your CTS-V. If you would like to further discuss your situation with us or have our involvement while working with your dealership, please let us know. We can be reached via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-17-14, 12:49 PM
Guess I need to jump on this thread and subscribe. My right front squawks badly with suspension movement (53K on the clock). Noise is very pronounced with the lower outside temps over the last several weeks, however now that the weather has warmed it isn't so noticable. I suspect it is in the bushings for the sway bar or control arms. Haven't taken it to the dealer yet, but planning to in a couple of weeks.

Will see what the dealer says. I have a great dealer service department, so I think they will get it fixed.

Hello DiamondWhtV,

Please be sure to keep us updated when you take your vehicle in for service and please feel free to reach out to Laura or myself via private message if you would like any assistance in setting up an appointment or working with them to look into this concern. We will be looking for your future posts and updates.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care