: Improved brake pad recommendation

jaxctv
07-11-10, 06:29 PM
Gentleman - Can anyone recommend improved brake pads for street (not track) use?
My brake pedal has always felt a bit soft (car now has 6000 mi). Car was checked out by dealer who implied all was well. Certainly seems as if my factory setup don't have a great initial bite in.

Thanks

ALQ
07-11-10, 07:03 PM
dont even think about it, unless your upgrading your rotors... if you just want better feel install some brake lines..

i got me a set of HP+ from hawk performance, and the first time you slow down its just like stock, 2nd time its worse, 3rd onwards, its like i got no brakes on my car, would stop waaaaaayyy further than stock!
ive installed hawk pads on almost all my previous cars, they've been great but with the ctsV, on stock rotors :nono:

baabootoo
07-12-10, 01:05 AM
So you're saying that the stock brakes don't stop well, or is it just a difference in feel between a different car? All cars will be different too.

Moparman4444
07-12-10, 01:21 PM
I now for a fact that stainless braded lines do NOT improve performance over stock lines in GOOD condition.

Years ago a friend in a fuel injection shop did a pressure comparison between 3 brake lines. A worn out pair that needed replacing, a OEM new pair and a stainless braded set. The worn lines showed some expansion but nothing huge that most people would notice. The new lines performed the same as the stainless lines. Now I'm sure others are going to flame me for this one but the braded lines seem to be a waste unless you are racing or want longevity out of your lines.

jaxctv
07-18-10, 10:24 PM
Bump - anyone have any thoughts on improved brake pads for street, not track use.
Thanks fellas.

RapidRob
07-18-10, 11:43 PM
^^^ - There have been a couple of peeps that moved to the Hawk ceramic pads to try and cut down on dust. They reported that the ceramics were at least as good as OEM without upgrading the rotors, but with much less dust. Maybe they will chime-in later ..

I've ordered the Hawk ceramics for my own V for when the OEM's wear out.

Rob

Caddyscat
07-18-10, 11:55 PM
You would think since these are HUGE brembos, what is better for brakes? They're superior brakes IMHO. You could make the car 1000 lbs lighter? I had put Hawk pads on my 2002 WS6 with PowerSlot rotors, the OEM pads were hard (dust free) and kept on warping the rotors! They were squeaky as hell and felt hard. I personally would rather have the pads with a lot of dust - It means they're softer and won't destroy the rotors as quickly. I'm with Moparman and the braided lines. Unnecessary for street use.

My observations are that once the pads warm up a bit they seriously kick ass - complete reverse of my WS6.
You might want to get a second opinion on your brake setup. It is a known that these cars have come out of the factory low on vital fluids, yours might just have air in the lines resulting in poor performance. I'd flush out the brake fluid myself if I had any doubts. Here's a link to the setup my brother made to flush his 09 Cobalt SS lines with ATE super blue (he tracks his car). I took the Documentation photos.

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=206138

dqw1
07-19-10, 12:22 PM
I have the HAWK ceramics on mine and I'm satisfied. I made some really hard stop a couple times this week and they performed as good as stock in my opinion. They do dust but much less than stock.

ronzride
07-19-10, 06:23 PM
I've got the Centric Posi-Quiet pads on my V,they're a semi-metallic,relatively low dust pad (when compared to stock),reasonably priced, and they are very quiet.Their stopping ability is about the same as a stock pad.I had the same pads on my 335i BMW and am very satisfied with them........Ron

GMX322V S/C
07-20-10, 01:58 AM
I've got the Hawk Ceramics; only about 500 miles after bedding so far and the jury's still out for me. Still a bit of dust buildup going on...

thebigjimsho
07-24-10, 11:23 PM
Hawk DTC-30s. Dust a bit and squeal like crazy but they stop like....wait, nevermind...

thebigjimsho
07-24-10, 11:24 PM
dont even think about it, unless your upgrading your rotors... if you just want better feel install some brake lines..

i got me a set of HP+ from hawk performance, and the first time you slow down its just like stock, 2nd time its worse, 3rd onwards, its like i got no brakes on my car, would stop waaaaaayyy further than stock!
ive installed hawk pads on almost all my previous cars, they've been great but with the ctsV, on stock rotors :nono:Then something is wrong. Either you have brake issues(other than the pads) or they're not bedded properly...