: Air Conditioned Seats in a 2008 ESV

krieghoff
07-11-10, 05:01 PM
Can someone tell me how cold the seats are in their ESV?

I had mine to the dealer and he told me that mine worked fine.

I can't tell the y are on even when set to HIGH!

WaterKing
07-11-10, 10:23 PM
Mine on the 2007 and 2008 will toast or freeze my sensitive parts. Never been able to operate over one bar without personal overexposure. Three bars of cooling will even make a menapausal woman with hot flashes uncomfortable in my vehicles.

hcvone
07-12-10, 06:59 AM
They should get fairly cool depending on humidty and temp

jpatt49
07-12-10, 10:47 AM
Mine get cool after a minute of two. Depends on what type of clothes you are wearing also. Jeans etc you won't feel as much as slacks of course.

SouthernLCC
07-12-10, 10:54 AM
Can someone tell me how cold the seats are in their ESV?

I had mine to the dealer and he told me that mine worked fine.

I can't tell the y are on even when set to HIGH!

I've had mine in to the dealer three times and each time they tell me they are fine. He says its only air blowing, not cold air. But reading other posts, I have always doubted this. It is very frustrating...

dzar
07-12-10, 04:37 PM
Anybody out here have an IR thermometer they could shoot at the seats? I've complained about mine (seems they are barely cooler than the cabin air) but am told that's all they do. I'll shoot at my seats and report, too. Why didn't I think of this, earlier?

SouthernLCC
07-13-10, 06:19 PM
Anybody out here have an IR thermometer they could shoot at the seats? I've complained about mine (seems they are barely cooler than the cabin air) but am told that's all they do. I'll shoot at my seats and report, too. Why didn't I think of this, earlier?

My dad has one, I'll do it tomorrow. Great idea!

dzar
07-13-10, 06:26 PM
I did mine...

Thermostat on 71, car driven for 20 minutes. Side of the seat (unperforated part) at 85 degrees.

Front of seat: 85
Rear of seat: 76
Lower back: 84
Upper bask: 86

So it looks like some air might be blowing (and the fan is on, I can hear it) but I don't see any proof that there is cooling going on. I certainly don't think anybody would complain that they get too cold with these temps (oh, and there was only a computer bag on the seat, not a human). The computer bag was on the rear of the seat where the lower temp. Was. I suspect there was some pooling of cool air due to the bag.

It would be great to compare to someone who thinks their seats are too cold on the high setting :-)

hdmech
07-13-10, 09:21 PM
I don't have any temps to post but I can assure you that the ventilated seats use more than just cabin air flowing through the seat perforations. The system uses a "peltier circuit" combined with a fan to produce the cooling as well as the heating.( GM calls them TEDs , thermo-electric device(s) ) It is actually a sophisticated system with built in safety and feedback systems to protect from overheating.
During the past week the ambient temps here have been in the mid to hi 90's , even with the A/C on you can feel the seat getting even cooler than the cab temp. I have some GM info. on the system that goes into detail of all the components and how they work but it is too large to attach. A good tip to remember is to vacuum your seats with the cooling mode "on" , this keeps the perforations from becoming clogged.....I'm sure hcvone brought this up in an earlier post.

dzar
07-13-10, 09:28 PM
... I can assure you that the ventilated seats use more than just cabin air flowing through the seat perforations. The system uses a "peltier circuit" combined with a fan to produce the cooling as well as the heating.( GM calls them TEDs , thermo-electric device(s) ) It is actually a sophisticated system with built in safety and feedback systems to protect from overheating...

I've heard this many times and believe it (the repair manual talks about the cooling unit and blower... it would just say "blower" if that's all it was, I suspect). My clueless dealer insists that everything is fine and that this is how it works. I'm trying to gather the data to prove him wrong and, probably, will find another dealer, anyway. I wonder if any in St. Louis know what they are doing... If you can PM me I can send you my email or something to see what you have in terms of documentation. If it's the service manual stuff, I have that, though.

Thanks!

hcvone
07-14-10, 09:23 AM
It is on page #14-214 of the 2007 service manual that goes into detail that it is in fact self contained electronic air conditioners that cool the seats. e-mail me your phone number and I can have one of my girls at the office fax it to you. But I would also look for a dealership that has a clue. ;) carl@hcvind.com

hdmech
07-14-10, 10:36 AM
You can also try to get the Dealer to go into GM Service Information Document ID 1678169 . It is titled "Heated/Cooled Seats Description and Operation"

hcvone
07-14-10, 10:49 AM
It is on page #14-214 of the 2007 service manual that goes into detail that it is in fact self contained electronic air conditioners that cool the seats. e-mail me your phone number and I can have one of my girls at the office fax it to you. But I would also look for a dealership that has a clue. ;) carl@hcvind.com

Should say FAX number. :)

dzar
07-19-10, 12:02 AM
Anyone else get a temp. reading from the seat that actually gets cold? I want to know what it should be when I go back to beg for some service (from another dealer in the area, now... I'm done with mine. They are clueless). I bet my controller is out as nothing works. I did check the thermistors and they do read about what I would expect based on the table in the manual. Everything else checks out that I tried, too. What I did notice is that the waste air is very hot, but very low volume. I suspect that my fans are always on low even when I ask for "high" so things never get very cool (like 80-84 degrees "cool" which does not feel very cool to me when the cabin is at 71-72.

SouthernLCC
07-19-10, 06:10 PM
I took my car in today and the moron service guy looked it up and finally admitted that yes there is a cooling unit in the seats, but he said it was working fine. I have had it with this dealer, taking it to another to look at. FYI, the temperature using and IR thermometer after being on high and sitting for over 10 minutes is 80 degrees on seat back and bottom. I had the A/C set on auto at 70 degrees. Going to another dealer...

dzar
07-19-10, 10:22 PM
... FYI, the temperature using and IR thermometer after being on high and sitting for over 10 minutes is 80 degrees on seat back and bottom. I had the A/C set on auto at 70 degrees. Going to another dealer...

Yep, 80 degrees is all I get, too. That's not very cool IMHO, with nobody sitting in it.

DRLLNOW (my plate)
07-28-10, 10:56 AM
Take a close look. There is no freon pipes in these seats. It is just a blower to lower the seat temperature from you 98.6 body down to the cabin air temperature. No thing sophisticated. It does work and I really like it, especially when it has been in the sun over 100 degrees and it would otherwise take forever for it to cool down with my fat as* on it.