: Air Ride Control Problem on 1997 STS

dick schulz
07-11-10, 02:47 PM
Hello, I have a 1997 STS with high miles. The air ride control has failed and
the shocks are pumped up full and hard. I have located the air ride compressor above the rear axle and was thinking of disconnecting its power supply, and crack open a fitting at a shock to bleed off some pressure, install a switch on the dash to activate the pump when needed according to the cargo load. I realized that I won't be able to bleed of the air pressure again without getting under the car to open the fitting at the shock. I would like your input as to the source of the overpressure and try to rehabilate the system to operate correctly. Perhaps the system can be rehabilitated with a replacement or repair of the air exhaust solenoid and valve. I appreciate your help. My email is dickschulz@charter.net / 507 254 3287

Submariner409
07-11-10, 03:57 PM
The Electronic Level Control (ELC or ALC) uses a single rear level sensor in some models or both rear shock height sensors in others. Either the sensor height link arm or the sensor itself has failed, assuming the compressor still works and does its preload at Engine:START +6 seconds.

Study the entire sticky up at the top of the Seville Forums: "How to pull codes" and teach yourself to get any stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes from your cars' built-in code reader/memory. Return to the page and open the link with "obd2" in the URL - the blue lines in the Master Index will take you to lists of the meanings of any P,B,C, or U codes found.

Now you can start troubleshooting the Level Control system.

dick schulz
07-19-10, 01:11 PM
The mechanic working on the air ride assumed the ride height sensors were faulty and replaced both - but no change. Next he checked the exhaust release solenoid or relay. He released air pressure by opening a fitting so the car is level with no air pressure in the shocks. The air pump would not run - the 30A fuse is good. He replaced the air pump. No change. He states there are no bad fuses, there are no lights or codes. He is stumped.

miwise
08-17-10, 09:28 AM
How loud is the pump? Can you hear it engage? I jumped the relay (#30 to #87) and nothing. The wire got really hot but I never heard the air pump engage.

miwise
08-18-10, 02:48 AM
Replaced the pump assembly on my 99 sts but still looks like it sits low. The codes stored in computer are gone now tho for now at least.

mtflight
09-10-10, 06:14 PM
I think Dick's problem is the same as mine. The problem is definitely the system failure probably caused by a leak initially, then contamination (usually moisture). The system is clogged somewhere and to fix it needs new shocks, lines, dryer (assuming compressor works). I'm still sitting on it.

Miwise: If the car sits low, it could be the springs or a leak in the system.