: New tires? Holy Cow.

chopmeat
07-10-10, 11:40 PM
I bought our stock Pilots from Tirerack.
I'm in Los Angeles so I used their (TireRack) recommendation for a shop.
It was Royal Motors in Beverly Hills.
They had Ferrari and Bentley and Mercedes and what have you.

These jerks put my 285's on the front wheels and the 255's on the rear wheels and put the car down and started to take it for a test drive!
I came out of the office because they said it was rubbing.
I yelled and said you put the WRONG TIRES on the WRONG WHEELS!
I contacted tirerack and will call them Monday.
I want new tires, I am so angry at these guys.
I also wanted my old rear tires, but the guy ruined them taking them off.
How could they be so stupid?
Can you believe this?

cbloveday
07-11-10, 12:01 AM
Unbelievable

chopmeat
07-11-10, 12:40 AM
:bomb:

mugatu22
07-11-10, 01:08 AM
The tire install tech work as tire install techs for a reason...give them a break. Not usually the sharpest tools in the shed, so to speak.

I bet if you're cool they'll hook you up (Tire Rack) with free shipping/etc next time, or refund your install cost. Flies...honey...not vinegar...something like that.

DCTS-V
07-11-10, 01:28 AM
It's always best to get a recommendation for any work to be done on your car from someone that has delt with them personally. I could have recommended a few places as I'm sure there are several other members here that could have done the same. The one thing that should have tipped you off was the way they took off your old tires. There should have been no damage to the old tires. Did you take it up with the shop manager?

CIWS
07-11-10, 08:09 AM
Yeah I believe it. Sucks man, sorry to hear.

newcadman
07-11-10, 08:29 AM
The ham & eggers seem to be everywhere nowadays. Can't be too careful.

way2evil1
07-11-10, 09:42 AM
This happened on the board not too long ago and the wider tires on the front damaged something I believe, you might want to check or have it checked out if any damage was done. And under no circumstances should you pay for those tires. They should be giving you new tires.

Gary Wells
07-11-10, 09:48 AM
chopmeat:
Sorry to hear of this, but I really can't say that it surprises me.
Excuse my ignorance, but I take it that TireRack does not do installs. Personally, I am always skeptical of any business that sells only but does not install / service.
Just a personal observation here, but it seems that any service business or any business that deals in service has been going downhill for about the last 30 years or so.
Do not blame the technician. Hold accountable the management / business owners that allow this to happen.
Poor / unaccountable customer service has been going on for years, and is definitely getting worse.
Consider all of the complaints on this forum, or all forums in general, regarding some of the *dealerships*, their poor service, their "I don't give a darn attitude" Their "Boy, we really didn't know that was going on, we'll take care of it right away" stories that continue to grow.
This has really become a problem in the US and is growing in leaps and bounds.

nota4re
07-11-10, 12:27 PM
I was so sick of these issues - and the inconvenience and incompetence for shops to properly balance tires, that I bought my own tire machine and balancer. Tires are NOT our primary business but we have done our fair share of high-end wheels and tires and we are doing an increasing business in preparing cars for the increasingly popular standing mile venues.

It doesn't necessarily take super expensive equipment to do the job right - but you shouldn't be in a rush and you need to calibrate your equipment and know how to use it properly. As such, we are typically ~$40-$50 per wheel for mounting/balancing (far from the $10 you see elsewhere) because it takes us about 1/2 hour per wheel to properly do the job.

GMX322V S/C
07-11-10, 01:32 PM
This happened on the board not too long ago and the wider tires on the front damaged something I believe, you might want to check or have it checked out if any damage was done. And under no circumstances should you pay for those tires. They should be giving you new tires.The report was damage to the front suspension arms from the wider wheel/tire combo, not just the tires alone--hopefully this will count for something.

What a mess.

The shop's management and TR definitely need to take care of this, but I'm not going to let the tech off the hook that easy. What, the staggered fitment wasn't a clue? Or was he/she just sweeping up and restocking shelves the day before and the tire guy was out sick the day chopmeat came in?

Gary Wells
07-11-10, 02:51 PM
In most cases where I have heard of things like this happening, I have always felt that the ultimate cause and correction action should be on upper management and then flow down.
If people are being trained properly and held accountable for their actions, and management fired upon the first reported occurrence, there would not be a recurrence.
Without knowing any more about this incident than we do, I would almost bet that the techs did it intentionally, which would explain their desire to take the car out for a test run.
My guess would be that the 1st time that this happened a while back, that was intentional also. However, I don't believe that the tech / techs believed that it would cause any permanent damage, and I believe that I posted my concern on that thread also.
I know that hindsight is easy, but I would like to believe that I would never trust a "Off-Shore" car agency / dealership /repair facility , high dollar European or not, to work on a Cadillac. I don't think that they like us.

tedcmiller
07-11-10, 03:12 PM
The experience that chopmeat had is why I always use the Cadillac dealership for tire work. This is not to say that they never make mistakes (e.g., they have never, ever set up the TPMs correctly on any car that I have had done there). Also, it should be pointed out that all of my tire work so far has involved the same size tires and rims - unlike the 2009 CTS-V (I should point out that directional and outside-only tires were installed correctly). The 2009 CTS-V is the first car I have had where the front and rear wheels were different, but the Cadillac dealership should know that, hopefully, whereas any other dealership/installer might not. It would probably be a good idea to mention this fact before any work is done - even by a Cadillac delaer.

tedcmiller
07-11-10, 03:16 PM
Maybe Cadillac should, somehow, make it impossible to install rear wheels on the front and vice versa. This, of course, would not prevent the installer from putting a tire on the wrong rim.

chopmeat
07-11-10, 03:34 PM
I'm fairly new the to west coast.
I went to the local Caddy dealer and they wanted to charge me $450 more than tirerack.
So, I just ordered them.
I will call them tomorrow and tell them what happened.

As for the shop manager, he actually told me my wheels are mismatched and are different sizes.
So I forced him to measure them and of course he was wrong.
What a stupid excuse.
Lol.

cmann_97
07-11-10, 04:34 PM
Hard to believe that a high-end shop like that could make such a stupid mistake. But then again, continue reading. I just had my new rears installed yesterday. I had a conversation with the owner (friend) prior to bringing my car in about how particular I am about this car. I mentioned wheel damage and jack points, etc....

Well, he proceeds to throw the jack under the car and working the jack, never even looked under the car for a jack point. Luckily I stopped him before he made contact with the car. I just can't believe people in the tire business could do such a stupid thing! He also owns one of the high end wheel changers and balancers, but still wound up scratching my wheels some.

I feel your pain!

JFJr
07-11-10, 04:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I had 2 sets of new tires installed on my 2005 CTS-V and one set on my 2009 CTS-V from my local Cadillac dealer, without any problems. They have good people do the work and they know the cars well. Of course, that is normally a more expensive route than using Tire Rack and an installer, but what is your time, aggravation and possible damage to your car (which may not be fixed correctly) worth?

I hope things work out.

Jud

chopmeat
07-11-10, 08:37 PM
I hear ya, but anyone anywhere can be horrible and damage your property.
Tirerack also told me that this shop was in good standing with them for 20 years?

I had a Cadillac dealer damage my STS V so badly that they had to repaint my once beautiful 8,000 mile car.
:banghead:

Luna.
07-11-10, 09:18 PM
My initial reaction was to laugh-out-loud... NOT because I'm happy at your misfortune, but simply because that's stunningly IGNORANT. Good grief...

I went to the local Caddy dealer and they wanted to charge me $450 more than tirerack.
So, I just ordered them.
I will call them tomorrow and tell them what happened.

Were they more expensive because of the purchase of the tires themselvesf? That happens to me sometimes and I just have Tirerack ship the tires directly to the dealership and the world is a happy place; they only charge me for the tire installation itself and I save on the tires via Tirerack.

tedcmiller
07-11-10, 11:21 PM
I, like Luna, have always had tires shipped directly from Tire Rack to the Cadillac dealer. It seems to work well. Tire Rack makes money on the sale, the dealer makes money on the installation, and I save money on the purchase.

GMX322V S/C
07-12-10, 01:26 AM
I went to the local Caddy dealer and they wanted to charge me $450 more than tirerack.I believe MReiland posted that some dealers participate in this program where they will match local brick-and-mortar pricing on tires. When I bought my new set of PS2s a couple of months ago, I had no problem finding two local shops that matched TR's pricing, so hopefully this could translate into TR pricing at a Caddy dealer somewhere. Good luck, hope things turn out well for you.

chopmeat
07-12-10, 01:46 AM
That's a good idea guys, thanks, I think I'll do the tirerack/dealer thing next time.
As far as the shop goes it was 23 bucks a tire.

CIWS
07-12-10, 07:26 AM
That's a good idea guys, thanks, I think I'll do the tirerack/dealer thing next time.
As far as the shop goes it was 23 bucks a tire.

Even though the dealership has damaged the STS-V several times, it's never happened in the three times they've mounted new tires on the car. In each of those cases I've purchased the tires from Tirerack and had them sent to the dealership for mounting.

Kadonny
07-12-10, 08:33 AM
My dealer actually recommended I buy them from Tirerack and have them sent to them, so that's what I do.

I actually just had my Hankooks installed on Thursday last week doing this. They did an excellent job. I only ever let my dealer touch my car.

PS. The Hankooks are handling very nicely.

BeagleBrains
07-12-10, 02:54 PM
The tire install tech work as tire install techs for a reason...give them a break. Not usually the sharpest tools in the shed, so to speak.

I bet if you're cool they'll (Tire Rack) hook you up with free shipping/etc next time, or refund your install cost. Flies...honey...not vinegar...something like that.
Expecting quite a lot to offer honey when they have already crapped in the nest! :tisk:

roarkb
07-12-10, 10:06 PM
My dealer not only mounted my tires correctly. But they did not charge me for the fronts as they were being installed on the same day as the new rims were being installed.
:bouncy:
What a deal. :bouncy:

King335i
07-13-10, 02:02 PM
TireRack is a bad joke. I'm sorry to hear about your problems with this installer though. I've actually found my local Les Schwab to be extremely competent and knowledgeable--imagine that!

thebigjimsho
07-24-10, 09:10 PM
TireRack is a bad joke. I'm sorry to hear about your problems with this installer though. I've actually found my local Les Schwab to be extremely competent and knowledgeable--imagine that!
The TireRack has about the best customer service in the industry. This was a recommended installer. They are not affiliated. TireRack is quite awesome...