: Love our turbo

qball
07-10-10, 10:03 PM
Just did a road trip with our Premium 2.8 turbo...Rapid City to Minneapolis and back. Avg about 21.5 mpg (my wife has a heavy foot)...I got about 23. Very comfy ride but the best part was how the turbo kept the rpm rock steady no matter how steep or how long the grade. The only gauge that moved was the turbo boost. No nervous, constant shifting that my Acadia used to do. Want to pass an 18 wheeler...put your foot in it and it hauls the mail...going 90 before you know it. Tons of torque at any speed, fun to drive.

TheCaptain
07-11-10, 12:10 AM
That's good to see! I'm just about finished a road trip in my 3.0L from Moosomin Sask to Minneapolis. Averaging 21.7 US mpg (heavy foot :D).

GeeVee
07-11-10, 02:22 AM
Captain, I just completed another gas mileage test and I got 23 MPG at 110KPH, 26 MPG at 90KPH and 27 MPG at 80KPH.

embassy
07-11-10, 10:27 PM
Just completed a 900km (550 mile) round trip with my one week old Premium+Performance 3.0L. It was mainly mountain driving going from sea level to 3600ft down to about 1500ft and then up to 4000ft and back to about 500ft. Lots of hills and sharp corners. It did the hills okay as long as you had some speed up before encountering the hill. However, several hills with 8 to 10% grade have sharp corners (slow to 20) just before the hill. I definitely noticed the lack of torque at the lower rpms and speeds. My 07 STS 3.6L V6 used to tackle those hills without the pedal even half way down. However the SRX seemed like it was straining a bit.

Quite surprised to get 23MPG even on this mountainous twisting highway. If I drove the highway more than a couple of times per year I would be wishing that I had opted for the turbo.

sube5186
07-11-10, 10:29 PM
It did the hills okay as long as you had some speed up before encountering the hill. However, several hills with 8 to 10% grade have sharp corners (slow to 20) just before the hill. I definitely noticed the lack of torque at the lower rpms and speeds.

Did you try "Sport" mode?

Sube

TheCaptain
07-11-10, 10:34 PM
Yea, our little 3.0L is missing some torque on the low end, some that the 3.6L has that we don't... but sport mode seems to keep the tranny and rpm in the best power range for any "spirited maneuvers". :D

embassy
07-12-10, 12:56 AM
I didn't try sport mode - never used it on my STS as I found that it didn't make much difference for my driving. Now that I have a baseline for mileage, I will try Sport mode on my next trip (couple of weeks). Will see what difference it makes as to the hills and what difference it might make as to the mileage.

One thing that I really liked compared to my STS was that the SRX tranny seems more aggressive in downshifting when I take my foot off the gas. I particularly noticed this with mountain driving. I did not use my brakes anywhere near where I did with either my CTS or my STS.