: Built 6l90e transmission?

600+ CTS-V
07-10-10, 07:59 PM
Who if anyone has had there tranny built? How is it holding up and who built it? My trans is slippling pretty bad and it's time to build? Who should I use??

Gary Wells
07-10-10, 08:13 PM
Excuse my lameness, but aren't these 6190L trannies?

LFTW8S
07-10-10, 08:35 PM
Who if anyone has had there tranny built? How is it holding up and who built it? My trans is slippling pretty bad and it's time to build? Who should I use??

I assume from your name that your car is putting out 600hp. Is the added HP making your tranny slip? How is the car acting when the trany slips. What mods hav you done to the car?

Thanks

Razorecko
07-10-10, 09:21 PM
I would say most importantly how many times have you changed the trans fluid ? , ie checked when vehicle was new ?

600+ CTS-V
07-10-10, 11:08 PM
I assume from your name that your car is putting out 600hp. Is the added HP making your tranny slip? How is the car acting when the trany slips. What mods hav you done to the car?

Thanks

Yes it puts down about 620 to the wheels but has been putting down that power for a while now and the tranny is slipping. To answer your question it acts like a slipping tranny in between shifts. It also has a tranny tune from wait4me everything else is stock.

600+ CTS-V
07-10-10, 11:14 PM
I would say most importantly how many times have you changed the trans fluid ? , ie checked when vehicle was new ?

I haven't changed the fluid for about 3000 miles. I checked the fluid.

So who knows a good place to get one built that has one holding up?

baabootoo
07-11-10, 12:31 AM
You might want to check the Pontiac G8 boards. They had a LOT of guys adding superchargers and they use the same trans (6L80E), only weaker from the factory. They had a few places that upgraded them, but I can't remember the names.

Karch
07-11-10, 04:28 AM
I know Circle-D out of Houston has been doing some work with the 6L80e's. Perhaps they have some insight to the -90e's as well.

CadV
07-11-10, 11:57 AM
You running a stronger torque converter or stock? If you running stock that is probably why it didn't last long.

Torxila
07-11-10, 12:03 PM
Only one place to go

RPM Transmission, in Indiana, Rodney is the owner.
http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/

1000rwhp +, F-body and 'vettes guys can't be wrong.

George

ps I thought it is a 6L90E?

wait4me
07-11-10, 12:04 PM
What are your exact engine mods? Did we do the build? How many miles are on your car?

Gary Wells
07-11-10, 12:58 PM
Excuse my lameness, but aren't these 6190L trannies?

Oops, my bad. I thought that thewe were 6L90's, I did not know that there was an "E" designation attached.

CadV
07-11-10, 01:08 PM

Please let us know what you found out. I am doing 670ish to the wheels and I am wondering how much the tranny can take.

600+ CTS-V
07-11-10, 01:51 PM
What are your exact engine mods? Did we do the build? How many miles are on your car?

Heads and cam kook headers and exhaust back to the stock mufflers. Ati underdrive and a 2.55 pulley on the top and ls3 throttle body. Your heat exchanger and trans tune and lpe cold air kit. Car last week ran a 11.07@127 on 20inch street tire. I talked to you about it. I took it to the track friday and the trans was done. The car has about 12k for miles but the trans only about 2500 miles.
This car has already had 2 rpm transmissions with a yank torque converter and they both burnt the clutches real fast. I'm not saying that it was rpm's fault I know the build a good trans so who knows? I bought this car used off a friend of mine after he gave up on it. I'm a little more patient.:yup:

600+ CTS-V
07-11-10, 03:45 PM

Tried to ad a reply to your questions and it said it had to b reviewed by a moderator?

600+ CTS-V
07-11-10, 03:54 PM

Well I guess it's working now so let me try it again.
The car has heads and cam, Kooks headers and exhaust to the stock muffler ati lower pulley and 2.55 upper. Ls3 throttle body and lpe cold air kit. It also has your heat exchanger and trans tune.
I bought this car used from a friend. The car has about 12500 miles and the trans about 2500. He had RPM build him two transmissions and they burnt up real fast. He was useing a yank converter at that time. He then put a stock trans back in the car from GM and sold it to me. I spoke to you about this when I bought the heat exchanger and trans tune from you Jesse.
I took the car to the track last week and this is what it ran on 20 inch street radials in some serious south florida heat. I think it should be good for some 10.70's with a good trans and some tires.
60' - 1.74
330 - 4.73
1/8 - 7.201
mph -98.42
1000 - 9.300
1/4 - 11.079
mph - 127.49

Went back this friday and the trans was done.

CVP33
07-11-10, 04:22 PM
Wow. Great times.

CadV
07-11-10, 07:55 PM
I have a friend that had a bunch of problems with the yank converter.

I am surprised the RPM tranny's are burning up so fast.

600+ CTS-V
07-11-10, 11:54 PM
Wow. Great times.

Thanks.

600+ CTS-V
07-11-10, 11:57 PM
I have a friend that had a bunch of problems with the yank converter.

I am surprised the RPM tranny's are burning up so fast.

What kind of problems was he having? I have the yank out of the built trans and was planning on sending it back to make it a little tighter and getting it cleaned.

CadV
07-12-10, 02:53 AM
What kind of problems was he having? I have the yank out of the built trans and was planning on sending it back to make it a little tighter and getting it cleaned.

It was slipping. He is still trying to work through it and even bought a SLP to test. I have a Vigilante and no problems so far but of course I am not tracking it. Just freeway driving.

600+ CTS-V
07-12-10, 02:53 PM
Cool thanks for the heads up. Talked to a couple of trans shops seems like us auto guys are going to be screwed for a while if you want to make some power with these transmissions?:rant2:

CadV
07-12-10, 03:22 PM
Cool thanks for the heads up. Talked to a couple of trans shops seems like us auto guys are going to be screwed for a while if you want to make some power with these transmissions?:rant2:

I spoke to my buddy and he knows of about 5 people that were burning tranny's with yank converters. I am going to pm you his number cause he wants to talk to you.

Hogg
07-12-10, 05:24 PM
I am wondering if it a problem with the Yank TC's or a problem with using any performance TC in these transmissions? What ECM tuning was your friends using?

These 6 speeds rely highly on TM to allow them to live.
Yank has an excellent reputation in the 4 speed auto world.

peace
Hog

V&Vette
07-12-10, 05:33 PM
No problem with any Yanks i've had on my Vette nor an SS I had awhile back.

Isn't there supposed to be a little slippage with a more aggressive torque converter. An example being a PT4400 which i've had in the past.

600+ CTS-V
07-12-10, 05:35 PM
I am wondering if it a problem with the Yank TC's or a problem with using any performance TC in these transmissions? What ECM tuning was your friends using?

These 6 speeds rely highly on TM to allow them to live.
Yank has an excellent reputation in the 4 speed auto world.

peace
Hog

From what I know he had a local guy tune the motor and trans but I think they only raised the shift points but I could be wrong? I don't think it's the converter cause the trans in the car now is stock with the stock converter.

Hogg
07-12-10, 05:41 PM
From what I know he had a local guy tune the motor and trans but I think they only raised the shift points but I could be wrong? I don't think it's the converter cause the trans in the car now is stock with the stock converter.

OK cool. Any TC that improves performance is going to increase the stresses placed on the trans, simply because of the increased torque multiplication.

Raised shift points shouldnt do much, but if the torque management tables were zeroed out, then bad things start to happen.

peace
Hog

CadV
07-12-10, 10:12 PM
No problem with any Yanks i've had on my Vette nor an SS I had awhile back.

Isn't there supposed to be a little slippage with a more aggressive torque converter. An example being a PT4400 which i've had in the past.

Lot of weight difference and completely different converter is used in the cars. Wouldn't call it slippage more like engage disengage.

Friend had the yank in his V2 and it was slipping like crazy. He picked up a 110rwtq just putting the stock one back in. Could be isolated of course but I have heard problems with yanks in the V2's.

V&Vette
07-13-10, 01:32 PM
Lot of weight difference and completely different converter is used in the cars. Wouldn't call it slippage more like engage disengage.

Friend had the yank in his V2 and it was slipping like crazy. He picked up a 110rwtq just putting the stock one back in. Could be isolated of course but I have heard problems with yanks in the V2's.

Very good to know, Thanks. I wonder what size converter he is using?

Classic Beast
01-16-13, 12:09 PM
what about these guys? http://www.transmissioncenter.net/6l80e_performance_transmissions_torque_converters_ parts_6l90e.htm

Karch
01-16-13, 12:33 PM
Wow...first post, and it revives a 30 month old thread.