: Question about wiring in an audio aux input to the head unit

repenttokyo
07-10-10, 01:55 PM
So I want to wire an audio input to my V's head unit using the XM input.

The FAQ has this page: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/auxaud-noswitch/index.html

But it's for the regular CTS. I've done some searching and found that the wires that the DIY says to cut are wrong for the V. Does anyone know of the best way to hard wire an aux input into the XM input for the V?

CancerJCC
07-10-10, 03:16 PM
I will tell you this, don't CUT the wires just splice into them. This way you can keep XM and have your aux in. But no I don't know if the wires are the same or not although they certainly look the same from memory.

repenttokyo
07-10-10, 05:53 PM
i thought they were the same too, but then I found a post stating that they were different - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/163713-audio-xm-input.html?highlight=audio

So now I am trying to get clarification on which ones to cut.

I appreciate your comment about saving XM, but although I was an XM subscriber for many years, after the Sirius buyout they no longer offered me the type of service I need.

kevm14
07-10-10, 06:20 PM
Theoretically you could always solder it back. Splicing in probably will result in a messed up audio signal. Either interference or a low volume issue.

repenttokyo
07-11-10, 04:14 PM
anyone familiar with the XM input wires on the back of the headunit? anyone? bueller? bueller?

shadybx7
07-12-10, 02:02 AM
i used the write up on my 05 V and it worked fine.. i guess it has something to due with the 04 being analog

CancerJCC
07-13-10, 11:14 PM
i thought they were the same too, but then I found a post stating that they were different - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/163713-audio-xm-input.html?highlight=audio

So now I am trying to get clarification on which ones to cut.

I appreciate your comment about saving XM, but although I was an XM subscriber for many years, after the Sirius buyout they no longer offered me the type of service I need.

Interesting. I am on the fence about a Droid Incredible or iPhone 4 (from an iphone 3G with specvette adapter) so I may have to do this soon. Let us know what you encounter. (I am in an 04 as well).

As for the XM you aren't kidding I remember when they offered "Commercial FREE radio" now they are playing them all the time. But BPM has me hooked for life because no one plays in on the radio.

repenttokyo
07-14-10, 09:57 AM
Interesting. I am on the fence about a Droid Incredible or iPhone 4 (from an iphone 3G with specvette adapter) so I may have to do this soon. Let us know what you encounter. (I am in an 04 as well).

As for the XM you aren't kidding I remember when they offered "Commercial FREE radio" now they are playing them all the time. But BPM has me hooked for life because no one plays in on the radio.

I used to love The System and The Rhyme on XM, but they were wiped out by the merger and there went 75 percent of my listening :(

I will let you know what I discover in terms of the input situation.

lollygagger8
07-14-10, 11:37 AM
Pandora is the only radio I'll listen to anymore. Hell even Slacker has commericals now.

I have an 04 and want to add an aux in too. Is it safe to use the FAQ writeup for it then? Or does somebody have an easier/better
way to do it?

repenttokyo
07-20-10, 10:17 AM
So I used the FAQ writeup and it worked for me. However, the color coding inside my 1/8 inch input wire were different than what was listed, so I had to go with my guy. I used a sine sweep to test it out and got it right hte first time. Sounds soo much better than my FM transmitter. Yay for Zune in the V!

I did have trouble re-assembling the ashtray though - I couldn't figure out where the damn spring goes :(

CancerJCC
07-20-10, 01:55 PM
So I used the FAQ writeup and it worked for me. However, the color coding inside my 1/8 inch input wire were different than what was listed, so I had to go with my guy. I used a sine sweep to test it out and got it right hte first time. Sounds soo much better than my FM transmitter. Yay for Zune in the V!

I did have trouble re-assembling the ashtray though - I couldn't figure out where the damn spring goes :(

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I just ordered a Droid X the other day so it looks like I will be doing this soon.

EdmundGTP
07-20-10, 04:51 PM
Can anyone verify if this writeup is working/legit for an 07? I'd like to ditch the FM transmitter on my Zune as I think it's starting to get wacky from sitting out in the heat all day.

Shon Herron
07-20-10, 10:09 PM
So I used the FAQ writeup and it worked for me. However, the color coding inside my 1/8 inch input wire were different than what was listed, so I had to go with my guy. I used a sine sweep to test it out and got it right hte first time.
Can you post up how it was different than the FAQ?
I have used the FAQ to wire up my ipod but I am not getting much sound out of the speakers, except for the driver side front...
some have said the 'cheap' wiring is the issue but need someone to confirm before i start buying expensive parts to cut up....

repenttokyo
07-20-10, 10:27 PM
it was only different because the audio cable i used id not match the radio shack part # used in the DIY, so I had to determine which color wires were L, R and common. Each cable is going to be different, so that's something you will have to determine yourself - not hard to do, just connect it to the V inputs and use left channel and right channel test mp3 files.

Everything about the V in the DIY in terms of connectors was accurate. It skips a step about removing the HVAC unit to get at the radio bolts, but you can find a DIY on taking out the radio in FAQ as well.

it sounds to me like your wires were not connected properly, i would investigate your L, R and common wires to make sure you have them properly sorted and connected to the right spot.

Shon Herron
07-20-10, 10:30 PM
gotcha!!

it was only different because the audio cable i used id not match the radio shack part # used in the DIY, so I had to determine which color wires were L, R and common. Each cable is going to be different, so that's something you will have to determine yourself - not hard to do, just connect it to the V inputs and use left channel and right channel test mp3 files.

Everything about the V in the DIY in terms of connectors was accurate. It skips a step about removing the HVAC unit to get at the radio bolts, but you can find a DIY on taking out the radio in FAQ as well.

it sounds to me like your wires were not connected properly, i would investigate your L, R and common wires to make sure you have them properly sorted and connected to the right spot.