: Want to see a Crossfire with a hole in it? Of course you do.

Jesda
07-10-10, 06:43 AM
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DCP_3984.jpg

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/imagejpeg_2.jpeg

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/imagejpeg_2_2.jpeg

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/user78036_pic11097_1268663973.jpeg

The car is no longer mine so its not my problem, but the destruction is interesting. The magnetic clutch on the twin-screw supercharger took a dump, spewing bits and pieces and putting a nice big hole in the engine cover. Fortunately, the hood is okay. The whole repair will likely cost a bit under ten grand.

Its sitting at a Chrysler dealer in Wichita KS right now. They had to call in a "Crossfire expert" from Denver because the repair diagrams didn't match the car.

http://www.privatefleet.com.au/images/upload/Image/new-cars/Mercedes/Mercedes%20AMG%20logo.jpg
You can thank AMG and Mercedes-Benz for their German engineering. The only part that's excellent on this car, the Infinity sound system, was supplied by Chrysler, so they get a cookie, but none of the Chrysler dealers know how to service this vehicle, so they lose a cookie.

Oh, and the car has 44,000 miles.

drewsdeville
07-10-10, 08:16 AM
Aw, that's it? The engine cover? I was hoping to see something like a freak accident with a .410 and a hole blown in the door... or SOMETHING cool like that.

Stingroo
07-10-10, 08:29 AM
I wanted to see an awesome hole that went all the way through the hood, and shrapnel embedded in the windshield or something.

This thread does not deliver.

Jesda
07-10-10, 08:30 AM
i always hoped the car would catch fire and burn to the ground.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-10-10, 09:16 AM
The whole repair will likely cost a bit under ten grand.

Its sitting at a Chrysler dealer in Wichita KS right now. They had to call in a "Crossfire expert" from Denver because the repair diagrams didn't match the car.

Jesus!!! I hope whoever owns this thing now REALLY likes it to shell out that sort of money to get it fixed. What makes it $10,000?

I rode in it that one time in Chicago, and remember it rode like an oxcart, and the supercharger only worked when it wanted to, but when it did work, it ran like a bat out of hell. I guess if it was me, I'd scrap the thing for the $10,000 it'd cost, then rather spend that $10,000 on a nice LS1 Camaro or something.

LOL @ having to call in a "crossfire expert", that's what you get though for buying a hybrid of two companies, especially when it's as hi-po as this one was and only made for a few years.

Vesicant
07-10-10, 10:14 AM
Might as well have the car towed to a Mercedes-Benz dealer. lol

Shame, we have plenty of these superchargers at work. :duck:

Did it not exibit any sort of belt chirping or powerloss before it went?

Jesda
07-10-10, 10:21 AM
Jesus!!! I hope whoever owns this thing now REALLY likes it to shell out that sort of money to get it fixed. What makes it $10,000?

I rode in it that one time in Chicago, and remember it rode like an oxcart, and the supercharger only worked when it wanted to, but when it did work, it ran like a bat out of hell. I guess if it was me, I'd scrap the thing for the $10,000 it'd cost, then rather spend that $10,000 on a nice LS1 Camaro or something.

Ian's brother has it -- the warranty covers the repair, except for the cosmetic stuff like the engine cover. I think the deductible is $50. Most of the repair cost is from parts -- ordered from Germany.

Nice job, AMG!

The tires were changed to a taller type, so it rides quite nicely now. It really is an epic road trip car, and it does 0-60 in under 5 seconds, but ****, what a nightmare.

Jesda
07-10-10, 10:23 AM
Did it not exibit any sort of belt chirping or powerloss before it went?

Nope, just some noise and a low coolant light.

Aron9000
07-10-10, 03:59 PM
You know for $10,000, you could take out the whole Mercedes engine/trans, and put in a BBC or LSx variant with more power. Total pita, but I just find it funny that you can put in a whole different engine/trans and do all that custom work for about the same price as replacing the supercharger. Well it might cost more like 12-13k to do that if you didn't do the labor yourself, but its still funny.

Jesda
07-10-10, 04:53 PM
I doubt the warranty would cover a gm motor :p
They're seeing if they can just get away with the clutch and pulleys first without doing the whole supercharger. I'm doubtful.

Jesda
07-10-10, 04:53 PM
I doubt the warranty would cover a gm motor :p
They're seeing they can just get away with the clutch and pulleys first without doing the whole supercharger. I'm doubtful.

Ranger
07-10-10, 05:00 PM
Ahh, that fine "German engineering" we always hear touted so much.

That is one hell of a serp belt though.

I too was expecting a MUCH bigger and more impressive "hole". Next time take a 12 ga. to the hood before posting Jesda.

Stingroo
07-10-10, 05:21 PM
German Engineering in da haus, yah!

ted tcb
07-10-10, 06:53 PM
How long is the warranty good for on that time bomb?

Is it leased, whereby Ian's brother can run away from it, or is he stuck
trying to sell it when the warranty is about to expire?

Geez, how little would a Crossfire be worth without warranty?

As an aside, I love the exterior style of the Crossfire, especially the hood.
The interior seemed cheap, and it seemed stripped of modern day luxuries
considering the high cost of ownership.

I wouldn't trust the patched repair job ... if the factory tuned mill only lasts 40k, how long will a patch job hold up, and what internal damage was sustained which may show up in a few short miles?

Wow, good luck to Ian's brother, I don't envy him.

ga_etc
07-10-10, 08:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmJ8AMxaI9E

All that needs to be said...:cookoo:

Jesda
07-10-10, 11:28 PM
I too was expecting a MUCH bigger and more impressive "hole". Next time take a 12 ga. to the hood before posting Jesda.

On that cold, snowy winter day when I was under the car in the dark replacing the intercooler pump, I strongly considered buying my first firearm and putting several holes in it.

Rolex
07-11-10, 12:20 AM
10K?? :pwn:

Screw that. For 10k I'd perform a heart transplant on that thing with an LS power plant. I bet you're glad you got rid of that thing. You dodged a bullet bro.

Florian
07-11-10, 01:47 AM
Chrysler/Mopar = garbage.

F

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-11-10, 02:42 AM

Especially after the Germans get in there and muck it up even more.

Jesda
07-11-10, 09:51 AM

F

Indeed, but only 1% of this car has anything to do with Chrysler.

MrBoffo
07-11-10, 12:41 PM
As much as I was expecting a huge hole punched through sheetmetal, a good thing that didn't happen and require more work.

Night Wolf
07-13-10, 01:58 AM
My Jeep shares the same Mercedes-sourced NSG370 6spd trans as the non-SRT Crossfire.

It works well in the Jeep - the feel, ratios and overall behavior, I'm happy with it.

How they ever got away with putting it in a "performance" car is beyond me. Among all the little things, it simply does not like to be shifted quick.

RightTurn
07-15-10, 10:21 PM
Here's the only "Crossfire" I want to see. :alchi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU4HZ32aGYc

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-15-10, 10:30 PM
This Crossfire caused many people to put holes INTO their hoods.

http://www.20thstreetauto.com/cars/car306/engine.jpg
http://image.vetteweb.com/f/features/9951923+w200/vemp_0712_08_z+c3_corvette_badge_spotter_guide+.jp g

the recluse
07-15-10, 11:03 PM
Honestly, I thought you were talking about a video card...:nono:

ltdltc
07-16-10, 02:32 AM
This Crossfire caused many people to put holes INTO their hoods.

http://www.20thstreetauto.com/cars/car306/engine.jpg
http://image.vetteweb.com/f/features/9951923+w200/vemp_0712_08_z+c3_corvette_badge_spotter_guide+.jp g

rCwn1NTK-50

drewsdeville
07-16-10, 11:54 PM
Honestly, I thought you were talking about a video card...:nono:

A crossfire isn't a video card, it's AMD's name for a multi-gpu setup. I'm pretty sure AMD still markets their cards as Radeons and FireGL's

;)

CTSV_Rob
07-18-10, 04:07 PM
The back end looks like a dog doing #2... :lol:
0-60 in 7.2 sec, sad
control not good

Wow, a car loaded with fail.

Jesda
07-18-10, 10:02 PM
0-60 in 4.8s

Damn thing is almost too quick to drive enjoyably around town.

Aron9000
07-18-10, 11:08 PM
The back end looks like a dog doing #2... :lol:
0-60 in 7.2 sec, sad
control not good

Wow, a car loaded with fail.

Base models were slugs with the N/A v6. Jesda had the SRT version, which netted you a pretty damn nifty AMG Benz supercharged 6. And $10,000 repair bills for when the supercharger takes a dump on you, which sounds like a matter of when, not if.

CTSV_Rob
07-19-10, 01:24 AM
0-60 in 4.8s

Damn thing is almost too quick to drive enjoyably around town.
Well my bad, I was just going from that top gear video.

SRT10 = 4.6s
CTS-V (when it as stock) = 4.6s

4.8s is good but almost to quick to drive enjoyably??? I guess it depends on what your definition of enjoyable is. :)

77CDV
07-19-10, 01:46 AM
If the warranty's covering it, fine. Otherwise, C4C candidate.

Jesda
07-19-10, 02:09 AM
Well my bad, I was just going from that top gear video.

SRT10 = 4.6s
CTS-V (when it as stock) = 4.6s

4.8s is good but almost to quick to drive enjoyably??? I guess it depends on what your definition of enjoyable is. :)

You just lightly touch the throttle and you're instantly making mischief. Its way too much power for such a light little car. Around town its like tiptoeing around a sleeping grizzly bear, trying to keep it quiet without waking the beast and getting killed.

The Crossfire is really, really good on the highway but twitchy in town with the larger SRT6 wheels and stiffer ride -- it tends to crash over potholes. The highway ride is firm and steady and the seats are fantastic. After losing 20lbs, I was able to get in and out of it reasonably well.

I'd definitely buy another, but it would be a manual convertible with a naturally aspirated V6 and white leather.
http://download.chip.eu/ii/36674756_303f11ab00.jpg
The SRT6 coupe is too much power, too little reliability, too weird looking, and too much high-tech Mercedes bullcrap that can (and will) go wrong.

ga_etc
07-19-10, 02:15 AM
Then why not just buy a better looking, more reliable convertible for less money?

Aron9000
07-19-10, 02:38 AM
Then why not just buy a better looking, more reliable convertible for less money?

You can score a C5 vette convertible for under 20 grand now days, way better car than a similarly priced Crossfire IMO.

Jesda
07-19-10, 03:26 AM
You can score a C5 vette convertible for under 20 grand now days, way better car than a similarly priced Crossfire IMO.

C5 convertibles are in demand and therefore cost more. To get one down to base model Crossfire roadster money, you have to sacrifice age and mileage.

I've never been a Corvette guy though, but I've always liked them a lot. When I was a teenage kid, I was more into small roadsters like Miata or the BMW Z3 and Z8. Corvettes were always the cars for guys who talked too loud. :)

Example: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1819601860.html
With only 7,200 miles, a topless manual Crossfire roadster is already under $19k.

I don't intend to buy another car for a long time, but if I was looking, I'd try to find a Crossfire roadster, BMW E46, BMW Z3, a Miata, or throw caution to the wind and buy a Jaguar XK8. What I end up with almost always depends on the random deal of the moment.

Earlier this year, before stumbling upon Ducky, I strongly considered a green XK8 convertible in California.

http://images.clickedit.co.uk/240/1762705.jpg

I love cars, even the bad ones. Maintenance costs are mitigated by warranties or heavy depreciation.

Like travel, art, food, or literature, even if you don't like it and find yourself returning to the familiar, you're better off having had the experience. If I had my way (ahem, more money!), I'd drive something different every week.

orconn
07-19-10, 05:47 PM
Having been able to have several really nice cars (Lamborghini, Jaguar, Alfa Romeo,Cadillac) over my lifetime I can say, without hesitation, that if you can afford and you love cars ...... go for whatever turns you on! I've never regretted my car choices ... both expensive ones and those less expensive (one of my all time favorites was my '83 VW Scirocco). I enjoyed the cars and enjoyed meeting people that also enjoyed the cars I have had and would make those choices again!

I also would buy an XK8, the coupe not the convertible, and may yet do so!

Jesda
07-19-10, 07:40 PM
And most importantly, I always expect to lose money on whatever I buy :alchi:

I rode in an old Scirocco once. I had to seat in the back seat. (I was skinnier at age 20). I never did drive it, but the smooth ride and the sound of the engine were impressive.

One day, if I'm really ballsy, I'd like to get a used Audi A8 (either 97+ or 03+). There's several reputable Euro specialty shops around here, but they're still very expensive.

I always wondered how it is that Europeans, with their high cost of living and high taxes, can afford any of the cars they build and drive. Maybe parts are significantly cheaper in their home market?

Alfa is supposed to be coming to the US. I'm excited

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-19-10, 10:30 PM
The A8 is really the only Audi/VW product that I would honestly purchase. Well the R8 too. The A8 is one of the few cars in which I like all the generations, especially the first one from '97-'03. That was an extremely handsome car, inside and out, and it wasn't as big nor as flashy as the S Class or 7 Series.

ga_etc
07-19-10, 11:02 PM
I've never owned anything particularly exotic, yet. Stop talking about all the Jaguars. I love my Deville, but I kinda wish I had ended up with the XJ6 too.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-20-10, 12:28 AM
I LOVED owning that S-Class. It was probably the worst financial decision I've ever made, but it was SUCH an awesome car to have, especially at 20. I REALLY would enjoy owning another, even considering how expensive they are to own.

77CDV
07-20-10, 01:56 AM
Oh, hell, Chad, just throw your wallet on the BBQ, it'll be faster. :lol:

Stingroo
07-20-10, 08:55 AM
:lol:

It's funny reading Craig's posts now, because I can now perfectly envision how he would say and react to most things, like the above.

Stingroo
07-20-10, 08:59 AM

http://autoworld.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/chrysler-crossfire-crash-with-delivery-truck-in-russia-img_5.jpg

Now we have wreckage.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-20-10, 09:09 AM
Oh, hell, Chad, just throw your wallet on the BBQ, it'll be faster. :lol:

Yeah, but it wouldn't do the sort of long term fiscal damage that Mercedes did. The next best thing would be to have my identity stolen and to then personally give my credit cards out to scam artists. :lol:

Bro-Ham
07-20-10, 09:15 AM
Chad, play the lottery, win big, live happy. :)

77CDV
07-20-10, 02:40 PM
Yeah, but it wouldn't do the sort of long term fiscal damage that Mercedes did. The next best thing would be to have my identity stolen and to then personally give my credit cards out to scam artists. :lol:

Damn! You mean that's not an option?

Chad, play the lottery, win big, live happy. :)

He'd have a better chance of being struck by lightning. Twice. On the same day. While surfing. In Minnesota. In winter.

Bro-Ham
07-20-10, 02:45 PM
He'd have a better chance of being struck by lightning. Twice. On the same day. While surfing. In Minnesota. In winter.

Craig, as they say on the lottery commercial: it could happen. :)

Jesda
07-20-10, 04:12 PM

http://autoworld.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/chrysler-crossfire-crash-with-delivery-truck-in-russia-img_5.jpg

Now we have wreckage.

The hospital bills will be cheaper than the dealer service.

Stingroo
07-20-10, 04:42 PM
Probably, lol.

CTSV_Rob
07-20-10, 11:24 PM
Or maybe the funeral.

EChas3
07-20-10, 11:49 PM
Craig, as they say on the lottery commercial: it could happen. :)

Did you hear about the woman in Texas that hit the $2,000,000 lottery for the 4th time?

Sounds like a profitable addiction.

Night Wolf
07-21-10, 03:36 AM
Jesda should take up auto mechanics, then mintaining all the older/odd ball vehicles will be much less of an issue :)

Jesda
07-21-10, 04:02 AM
I sweat like a pig and end up with injuries every time.

Aron9000
07-21-10, 04:59 AM
I sweat like a pig and end up with injuries every time.

Sounds like me when I work on my rigs. Don't let it discourage you, chicks dig hamburger hands anyways, just don't tell them you got 5 scars from changing your oil.:highfive:

Night Wolf
07-21-10, 02:32 PM
Sounds like me when I work on my rigs. Don't let it discourage you, chicks dig hamburger hands anyways, just don't tell them you got 5 scars from changing your oil.:highfive:

Have the chick change your oil for ya :cool:

iowasevillests
07-21-10, 03:01 PM
Have the chick change your oil for ya :cool:

There ya go, find a chick who wants to learn more about cars and then walk her through the oil change. Creepers are good for more than just laying on......