: A few questions, sorry if they are repetitive...

Aurora40
07-09-10, 06:58 PM
After a few days with this car, I've a few questions about it:

Where do you guys shift? I've hit the damn rev limiter about 4 times already. Mine's an LS2 car if that matters (dunno if the limiter is different on the 6). I try to shift right before the needle swings past the first red hash mark. I assumed the solid red line is where the limiter kicks in, but apparently not. And I'm not hitting it on overrun, but while in gear. It may be because I'm used to shifting the ZR-1, where I shift after it's passed the solid red area (limiter is raised on that car to 7,400), but I really don't think I'm waiting until after the needle passes the first red mark. I also assume these tachs are dead-on? They are electric stepper motors controlled by the PCM, right? Not old-school analog gauges?

What kind of economy do you guys get? I didn't expect it to be stellar, but in my daily commute I've put about 110 miles on it. The average economy is 13.2mpg. I expected to get similar to the 'vette, which does about 16-17 on the daily grind. Though I've probably been hammering the V more, the 'vette is faster so you can't get on it as much.

Should the trunklid raise up when you pop it? Mine just moves up a slight bit. But once I raise it some, the struts push it up the rest of the way. Is that normal, or are the struts weak?

What is that weird little space next to the two cupholders? It's sort of a rounded triangle shape. Is that for change?

Lastly, what is that piece of plastic in the ceiling at the back of the car? It looks like it would have the backup-sensor lights, but the V doesn't have them. Were they an option on lesser CTS's, and the V just has some cheapo filler piece there instead? Or are they some kind of other sensors like maybe a mic for the Bose to monitor feedback for the auto volume?

Thanks!

I'll also just post my feedback thus far. The car is a freaking hoot! It has some quirks for sure ergonomically, and the C-pillars could hide a tractor trailer. The handling and brakes just beg you to abuse the car. But I'll say, it is not as fast as I thought it would be. My Aurora has done a best 1/4 mile of 14.8. My ZR-1, 12.5. I guess my expectation is the V should slot somewhere right between them (I assume this is a 13.5-13.7 car?). It's unequivocally faster than the Aurora, but doesn't seem as fast as I thought it would be. I dunno. Maybe it's this brutal 100+F weather, but it doesn't seem like I expected it to.

At work, we have a closed course where we make 0-60mph runs after lunch, and use Dynolicious and DynoStorm (phone apps that use the built-in g-meter) to measure the time. With 4 people in the car including me, it's done a 6.83s best so far. That was with traction control on. With it off, and hitting the limiter in 1st and 2nd, it was a 7.04s. I have no doubt that launching the car right is key, and that there is more in there than that, but it is not at all what I expected. I'd think ripping off low 6 second times would be no problem. Those things aren't spot-on, but they sure seem to be in the ballpark, we've done the same with all sorts of cars and trucks.

mitchntx
07-09-10, 07:25 PM
You take the car to redline and you are worried about economy? Also, the V is 1000lbs heavier than the Vette.

That triangle pice was a head scratcher. Best I can tell, it's a thumbhold to be able to remove cupholder insert to clean it.

My trunk just pops like you described

Aurora40
07-09-10, 07:30 PM
You take the car to redline and you are worried about economy? Also, the V is 1000lbs heavier than the Vette.

That triangle pice was a head scratcher. Best I can tell, it's a thumbhold to be able to remove cupholder insert to clean it.

My trunk just pops like you described

My 'vette weighs 3,450 lbs. The V is 3,850. And I'm not worried about economy, I am wondering what others get. I didn't expect to get 13mpg, though I did figure 15-17 was in the ballpark. Honestly, what does one have to do with the other? I run most of my cars up to the redline, but they can still return decent economy. I don't run it to the redline in every gear, then jam on the brakes from 160mph as I blast into the parking lot at work. But yeah, I run the engine through its paces, that's what engines are made for. :)

Thanks for the feedback on the trunk.

Dan_Gurney
07-09-10, 09:03 PM
people i don't want to buy cars from... (although mine was probably driven just as hard before... who knows)

I have only owned my car for a month or so, but during the day in 105+ compared to sun down in the 80's i can feel a performance difference, even going to a place 2000' lower, but still 105+ there was a noticeable difference in power. i can't wait for winter (i hate the cold, but love to drive...)

darkman
07-09-10, 10:30 PM
people i don't want to buy cars from... (although mine was probably driven just as hard before... who knows)

I have only owned my car for a month or so, but during the day in 105+ compared to sun down in the 80's i can feel a performance difference, even going to a place 2000' lower, but still 105+ there was a noticeable difference in power. i can't wait for winter (i hate the cold, but love to drive...)

Winter is when your horsepower comes back and you discover that your maximum performance summer tires have lost their grip.

wcryan
07-09-10, 10:59 PM
The little triangle thing is what I call the dip cap holder. I place the cap from my chew bottle in there so I don't have to unscrew it every 15 seconds. I love that design. Someone at gm must have been a dipper

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-09-10, 11:57 PM
I put my earrings in that little thing when I go onto base since they're not authorized.

Aurora40
07-10-10, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the help!

rand49er
07-10-10, 08:09 AM
0-60 runs with four guys in the car? Reminds me of tractor pulls at the county fair. :rolleyes:

The little triangle thing is what I call the dip cap holder. I place the cap from my chew bottle in there so I don't have to unscrew it every 15 seconds. I love that design. Someone at gm must have been a dipper:histeric:

I put my earrings in that little thing when I go onto base since they're not authorized.:histeric::histeric:

steveomatic
07-11-10, 02:35 PM
I hit the rev limiter more often than I'd like too, usually from riding 2nd too long. Most of my driving is back and forth to Arlington, VA though not during the worst rush hour times and I'm averaging about 16.5 mpg overall. 32 miles each way, mostly highway. I'm what the MD State Police call an aggressive driver too, can't resist launching at every stop light.

That little piece by the cup holders is definitely a mystery wrapped in an enigma... I find my Bluetooth headset fits in there perfectly.

Same deal poppin the trunk, and I have to go out now to check out that little plastic piece on the ceiling...

darkman
07-11-10, 02:45 PM
...can't resist launching at every stop light.

Your love for this car may be shortlived since differentials are about two grand a pop. You might consider playing roadracer instead of drag racer.

Aurora40
07-11-10, 09:41 PM
I hit the rev limiter more often than I'd like too, usually from riding 2nd too long. Most of my driving is back and forth to Arlington, VA though not during the worst rush hour times and I'm averaging about 16.5 mpg overall. 32 miles each way, mostly highway. I'm what the MD State Police call an aggressive driver too, can't resist launching at every stop light.

That little piece by the cup holders is definitely a mystery wrapped in an enigma... I find my Bluetooth headset fits in there perfectly.

Same deal poppin the trunk, and I have to go out now to check out that little plastic piece on the ceiling...
Thanks! I was a bit surprised it took this long for someone to say what kind of economy they get. It's funny, I searched a bit for those answers first, but mostly found threads with one or two tidbits, and a ton of peanut gallery crap. It's making sense now.

snipe_pipe
07-12-10, 08:16 AM
Once you get over constantly dragging the RPMs up to redline, you can see 18-22 MPG. My avg. fuel indicator is sitting at 20.4 MPG right now with occasional 11s.

BTW, let me know where you can redline in 3rd+ gear, I would like to drive there!

PISNUOFF
07-12-10, 09:05 AM
Once you get over constantly dragging the RPMs up to redline, you can see 18-22 MPG. My avg. fuel indicator is sitting at 20.4 MPG right now with occasional 11s.

BTW, let me know where you can redline in 3rd+ gear, I would like to drive there!

Come to Ohio. :)

Castro
07-12-10, 10:23 AM
My mostly city driving average mpg is around 13, if you want better mileage use cruise control in 6th. Your vette is WAY more aerodynamic and lighter that a V so they aren't in the same class in terms of mpg.

I use that cupholder thing for quarters.

Try a 0-60 run without 4 people, and probably get an axle before really launching it hard. I felt the same way when I first got my V, I thought it would be quicker. After a couple months it seems better than when I first started driving it though, I got used to it and got the feel down I guess. There are plenty of options to make it quicker.

PISNUOFF
07-12-10, 10:39 AM
I've found that cruise control on the highway doesn't let the car go into DFCO as often and gets worse fuel mileage. DFCO, decel fuel cutoff, is when you let off the gas completely and the fuel shuts off. I've found that the cruise never really let's off completely.

Castro
07-12-10, 01:56 PM
I've found that cruise control on the highway doesn't let the car go into DFCO as often and gets worse fuel mileage. DFCO, decel fuel cutoff, is when you let off the gas completely and the fuel shuts off. I've found that the cruise never really let's off completely.

I think you're right about that, with the instant mpg showing while cc is on you don't tend to get the 68mpg readings going downhill w/o throttle, but for me getting the heavy foot on the mat more than makes up for it.

Aurora40
07-12-10, 02:19 PM
Try a 0-60 run without 4 people, and probably get an axle before really launching it hard. I felt the same way when I first got my V, I thought it would be quicker.
It's sort of a lunchtime thing. We do it with a full car to be fair, and it's just for fun. Even guys with Camry's and stuff do it. But even still, I expected the car to be quicker. A co-worker has a Mazdaspeed 3, and his best time in the lunchtime runs is like a tenth slower than the V thus far. I'm sure the V has more in it, but his car probably does too... I'd have thought it would be definitively faster (though as you continue to higher speeds, I'm sure it would be).

I don't launch the car too hard, and have yet to experience any wheel hop. But is the rear really such a time bomb that I should have an axle on hand before dropping the clutch on street tires?

PISNUOFF
07-12-10, 02:42 PM
Not in an '06. I think it was suggested that you swap the axle before doing hard launches to reduce any wheelhop. Banging 2nd really hard has the same effect as the wheelhop, it over angulates the rear pinion.

Aurora40
02-18-11, 02:12 PM
Just to cap this off, it seemed to be primarily the tires responsible for the poor 0-60mph performance (not the economy though). We did a lunchtime run today, 4 people in the car. Same road, nice 65F weather. The car hooked 1st much better and turned in a 5.50 second time. This is much more inline with what I expected. So I think the RS-A tires suck, because right now I am running on Wintersport M3's. These seem to grip much better in the dry. I'll have to try this again once I swap the KDW's I have onto the car.

mberisha
02-18-11, 04:22 PM
Winter is when your horsepower comes back and you discover that your maximum performance summer tires have lost their grip.

Spoken like a true wiseman.....best quote of the day Darkman!