: I don't feel like going to the Dodge forums...

My_favorite_Brougham
07-09-10, 03:35 PM
...because I don't know the folks there.

But I need to find an answer about a friend's '01 Dodge Ram.
Besides, I trust Cadillac people to know cars better than some weirds people I've never heard of.

So maybe yall can point me in the right direction with my friend's Dodge.
It has tough starting. In the morning it's fine, and fires right up. But if you kill it and restart it a 10 min later, it takes forever to fire up. It even killed the battery and the alternator.

So.. it has a new battery and alternator, all electrical connections are good, and yes the starter is functioning.

I have this prob on my '00 Chevy 1-ton 7.4L - and I believe it's fuel injectors. I've done all other tune up work. And so has my dodge-driving friend. He has new spark plugs. And I'm thinking its not a spark issue, but a fuel delivery issue.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Or maybe the tendencies has Daimler-Chrysler cars/trucks have? Ignition system or Fuel Delivery system? (I mean the LT1 Cadillacs had distributer issues I know.)

My bud took it to the dealer, the took $100 and said they couldn't find a problem. :thepan: He would've changed the fuel filter, but they didn't say so. I say change the fuel filter, then clean injectors... that a good plan?

Thanks & boy am I glad I drive a carb'd Cadillac!
-Greg

drewsdeville
07-09-10, 04:43 PM
When it won't start, spray some starting fluid in the throttle body and see what it does. If it starts, or attempts to start, the problem is fuel related. If it still does nothing, it's an igntion problem. You can narrow things down from there.

My_favorite_Brougham
07-09-10, 04:55 PM
Thanks Drew! I will be sure to give that a try.

Kick94sts
07-09-10, 05:13 PM
At my old job we had a V10 dodge shop truck and that thing took forever to start too.

My_favorite_Brougham
07-09-10, 07:23 PM
At my old job we had a V10 dodge shop truck and that thing took forever to start too.

Yall ever fix it? :suspense:

HAZZARDJOHN
07-09-10, 07:41 PM
I had this problem, it was the fuel regulator, basically all the fuel was going back into the tank when it sat. Try this. Turn the key on 4 times before you try cranking it. If it starts right away after that you are probably having regulator issues.

That being said, I know people who have driven with this issue for years and it's just an annoyance to them. I haven't fixed mine yet, I just live with it. I turn the key to the on position and let it sit for a few seconds then I start it and I have no issues.

~HJ

EChas3
07-09-10, 09:12 PM
If its worse when it sits more than 15 minutes, suspect leaky injectors.

Caddyshack100
07-09-10, 10:39 PM
On Dodge's the fuel filter is integrated within the Fuelpump assembly and that is in the tank, to change it, it will have to come out, very pricey

drewsdeville
07-09-10, 11:00 PM
On Dodge's the fuel filter is integrated within the Fuelpump assembly and that is in the tank, to change it, it will have to come out, very pricey

Yeah unfortunately this is becoming a common trend across many makes and models.

The filters ARE usually good for life, but I still like the re-assurance of replacing the $10 filter when I can.

Destroyer
07-10-10, 12:32 AM
On Dodge's the fuel filter is integrated within the Fuelpump assembly and that is in the tank, to change it, it will have to come out, very priceyI found this out when replacing the pump in my '96 van. I STILL cannot believe the filter and pump are one. Anyway it cost under $300 to fix it, not "very pricey" in light of other repairs one can occur with used cars but "whatever".

Caddyshack100
07-10-10, 10:25 AM
For some reason mopar seems to like making things difficult, anybody who owned the Mitso 3 liter v6, became familiar with changing out the Timing Belt, and oh by the way while we are in there, lets change the waterpump. My buddy who owned a 03 Ram, had his to change his fuel filter and after all said and done, 730 out the door including the GST and PST of 13 percent, hence the pricey term for merely changing a Filter. When he has to do his plugs, he will then do all sixteen of them, ouch

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-10-10, 10:29 AM
Yep, like John said. I'm willing to bet it's the fuel pressure regulator. I seem to remember them being a fairly common problem on the old 318 and 360 powered Rams.