: 2010 SRX battery

dnl18
07-09-10, 03:35 PM
Traded my 97 DeVille for a 2010 SRX. We go to AZ for the winter (5-6) months and I would disconnect both battery cables on the DeVille before leaving and had no problem with startup when returning and reconnecting. The battery on the SRX 3.0 engine looks to be on the drivers side in the engine compartment in a black box with three cables connected to the top. Should I dig in there or just buy a trickle charger to run all winter? Don

TheCaptain
07-09-10, 05:28 PM
You can dig in there if you want, there is actually six connections on our battery if you want to remove all sources of power.

TheCaptain
07-09-10, 05:31 PM
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/10%20SRX%20WinterSpring/IMG_2551.jpg

Likely
07-09-10, 05:39 PM
dnl18.....

Just buy a "Battery Tender" problems all solved. Battery Tender brand you can buy from NCM store in Bowling Green, Kentucky. That is the brand i have and am very happy......Actually i have 2....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Likely

dnl18
07-09-10, 05:39 PM
You can dig in there if you want, there is actually six connections on our battery if you want to remove all sources of power.

Thank you Captain. So, 1. what are the ramifications of taking off all 6(!) connections and 2. is the trickle charger the way I should go? Don

TheCaptain
07-09-10, 05:52 PM
If you remove all six, when you put them on, put all the small ones on first, then the big ones, then the main. Then have your key fob ready to kill the alarm because it will kick it off in a "theft deterrant" type deal. Then you get to reset all your info and clocks.

Or you can put a tender on the + and - (on the strut tower or -) and have it be fully charged without all the hassle.

dnl18
07-09-10, 05:55 PM
Captain,
Where did you get that picture of the battery? When lifting the cover do I leave the top three cables connected or take them off? Don

dnl18
07-09-10, 06:04 PM
Captain,

How in the world did you get so knowledgeable about this ? Thanks for the info from you and also thank you 'Likely' for the Tender tip. I think that at this point I will probably go with the Tender route. Don

TheCaptain
07-09-10, 06:25 PM
This is the battery in my SRX. I took this picture when i was changing headlights. Those top three cable's on the box do not come off the top. There will be four clips on that cover you pop off in order for that cover to come off.

smiley47
07-09-10, 07:37 PM
Captain,

How in the world did you get so knowledgeable about this ? Thanks for the info from you and also thank you 'Likely' for the Tender tip. I think that at this point I will probably go with the Tender route. Don

I've used those tenders before and the best part is they keep your electronics from getting all messed up which would happen if you disconnected the battery for an extended period of time. Can you imagine trying to reprogram all the settings on these vehicles? Mine plugs into the wall outlet and hooks up to the battery posts but I've seen some that plug into the cigarette lighter instead of hooking up to the battery.

rtsittner
07-12-10, 02:42 PM
Those top three cable's on the box do not come off the top. There will be four clips on that cover you pop off in order for that cover to come off.

Just to clarify TheCaptain's comment, those three cables on the top can be removed. There is a red retaining clip that needs to be slid forward which releases the connector. As TheCaptain mentions, the battery terminals can be accessed without removing these cables. However, if you want to get the battery cover completely out of the way, the cables can be disconnected/connected quite easily. Just my 0.02...

Randy

Likely
07-12-10, 05:56 PM
dnl18..........

"Battery Tender" Problems all solved!!!!!!

Likely

TheCaptain
07-12-10, 11:36 PM
Ah yes, good clearing that up RTSittner!

ewill3rd
07-13-10, 09:31 AM
Battery tender, I have 2 of them on my bikes to keep the batteries up during non-operation. They work great and you can buy them anywhere.

You only need to make one disconnection at the battery, the ground cable. (if you so desire)
No need to remove all that other stuff.