: Has anyone ever disabled the Mag Ride system?

Tony407
07-09-10, 02:07 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever compared their V's handling with and without the MRC activated. The reason I'm asking is that I keep getting poked fun at when I take my V to the autocross course, even though I'm consistently beating the majority of other, smaller, "better handling" cars out there (read: Several of my friends have modified Miatas that pretty much haul butt through the course). "There's so much technology in that car it's no wonder you're doing as good as you are" are the types the comments I usually hear. Of course, I disable the traction and stability control during these events but the MRC is always active. I was thinking of unplugging the sensors on the strut towers just to compare my autocross times with and without the assistance of the system. Has anyone ever done this? And if you have were there any computer issues? I don't mind throwing a code as long as it goes away after hooking everything back up again. What I don't want is to have to make a trip to the dealer.

Obvsiously, my goal is to run some good laps without the system helping me along, just to prove a point. However, maybe my friends are right and my times will plummet...?

Tony

wait4me
07-09-10, 02:25 PM
I have found out how to turn it off in the calibration. I can make that change in your handheld for you.

DiamondWhtV
07-09-10, 03:50 PM
I have found out how to turn it off in the calibration. I can make that change in your handheld for you.

Jesse, I am fairly new here, but you absolutely amaze me with what you can do with our V's. :thumbsup:

GMX322V S/C
07-09-10, 03:59 PM
Well, there's the sensors and then there's the MR fluid inside the shocks as well. There's no way to make the fluid less viscous, only more viscous. So I'd be concerned with having the shocks run only at their minimum dampening setting if you disconnect everything (remember how those speed bumps were without the longer rods Tony? :))

Tony407
07-09-10, 05:14 PM

It would be great to have the handheld be able to toggle on and off the MRC, just for fun. What's involved, Jesse?

Tony

Tony407
07-09-10, 05:17 PM
Well, there's the sensors and then there's the MR fluid inside the shocks as well. There's no way to make the fluid less viscous, only more viscous. So I'd be concerned with having the shocks run only at their minimum dampening setting if you disconnect everything (remember how those speed bumps were without the longer rods Tony? :))

I do, and what you say makes perfect sense. But I sure am tired of my driving skills being summarily dismissed due to my V's "technology." It may be not be a good idea to disconnect the system because of the reason you quoted (and get a really, really crappy time at the track because of it), but I'd at least like to try it just to see, with your caveat in mind.

Tony

GMX322V S/C
07-09-10, 05:29 PM
^^^
Uh huh, because the "technology" in our cars determines entry speed, where to apex, throttle input, and everything else, right? :p

mugatu22
07-09-10, 05:46 PM
Tell the d-bags poking fun to strap it up, drive cleaner lines and beat your time before they worry about your suspension set up. That's weak & you shouldn't even worry about it. MR shocks < driving talent.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-09-10, 08:05 PM
I could see that technology argument with the GTR, but magnetic shocks? Lame.

commander112
07-09-10, 11:13 PM
Seriously? I used to autox a boosted Miata and thought it was a great car for autox. The Miata is like a go-cart and is perfectly suited to run fast through the cones in a tight parking lot. The V, on the other hand, is just a huge, heavy beast on a tight autox course. Your V is a powerful, big fat pig and the reason you are fast is because you drive the car well. Hell, the car is so big I'd be hitting cones on every run. You are letting these jealous D-bags get to you. Don't take their bait. I have seen many a Miata beat some very fine cars on the autox track. Now if they were saying that they were out classed on a road course I'd have to agree with them but not in a parking lot.

wait4me
07-09-10, 11:19 PM
with the mag off, the car is really soft and loose. Definatly not a good drive. It does shut off though at 135 though anyways. Which explains why it feels different on a fast turn up there.. Probably so it dont jump on a bump in a turn at high speed????

thebigjimsho
07-10-10, 01:10 AM
Your friends suck.