: CTSV Engine failure

Jeepoo
07-09-10, 02:05 PM
Has anyone had a cam lobe failure. Our 2009 CTSV is in the shop. THEY've pulled the engine and discovered one cam lobe ground down. No reasons for failure yet. CTS has about 20,000 miles. Totally stock, no tune. GM is to let us know to-day whether they will change engine. Cylinder walls are also scored.

wait4me
07-09-10, 02:26 PM
That would be the first i have heard of. I have seen some nasty cam bearings in some engines on the 2010 camaros, but nothing on the Vs...

cdog533
07-09-10, 02:27 PM
I've had cam lobes go in other motors. I blame a manufacturing or hardening defect by the cam maker.

That's probably an isolated incident.

baabootoo
07-10-10, 12:37 AM
No oil, pressure, so maybe pump?

Jeepoo
07-13-10, 01:52 PM
GM is replacing Engine. New engine will be here in one week. Still no answer as to initial cause.

shade
07-13-10, 02:50 PM
Interesting to see how far GM goes into trying to find root cause. If they do go into detail try and pass along. I'm interested.
What really sucks is now your car loses value/perceived value...Car fax shows the repairs such as these which might lower your trade in or selling thevehicle later one. Just a thought.

baabootoo
07-13-10, 03:50 PM
Break it in right this time!!!!!!!!

b4z
07-18-10, 06:08 PM
Good thing you didn't do any mods to it.

mugatu22
07-18-10, 11:48 PM
That sucks...but it'd be worse if they tried to blame you for the failure. A brand new engine...could be worse outcomes. Good luck w/the 2nd one. These are machines, they fail from time to time. :shhh:

Z06ified
07-19-10, 11:28 AM
Cam lobe failure is extremely rare, especially with roller lifters. An obvious supplier material issue/defect, but hopefully isolated to just yours. I wonder who manufactures the cams for the LSA? I used to finance a manufacturer of the LS1/LS6 cam for GM, but that company went out of business several years ago. Hopefully they're not made in China now. :helpless: I just bought a made-in China pickle fork tool (no choice, that's all the store had). The thing broke in half as soon as I hit it, and the crappy quality of the metal was astounding. I mean seriously, the cast iron from the 1700's was much better than this. I'm so sick of made in China crap it's not even funny. I find myself happily paying double for made in USA parts, if I can find them... I really hate it when I find made in China the only option.