: Clutch pedal doesn't return

acuraman
07-09-10, 02:52 PM
Has anyone had the issue I have had lately? I have a 2008 CTS Manual. A couple of weeks ago, I was driving and after shifting my clutch pedal stayed down. Very Scary! I had the car towed to the dealer where I could pull the pedal back by hand and it worked fine. The dealer could find no fault so they did some "lubrication". Three weeks later the same thing happened at a great er speed, but I was able to pull the pedal back with my toes and keep driving as I did not cherish the idea of a tow during rush hour and the recent power outage in Toronto. Back to the dealer, and a consult with GM. The only idea they have is to replace the "slave master cylinder" ...which is on order from the US. No other explanations came forth. Any one with a similar story?

ichpen
07-12-10, 04:39 PM
Pretty common though I don't know about the new CTS clutches. I assume the dealer flushed/bled and got any air out of the clutch fluid?

Could be a slave or bearing. There's also a spring on the pedal that breaks easily but that should never stop your pedal from returning (it'll just be slower).

acuraman
07-12-10, 09:57 PM
Yes, the dealer (Old Mill) did flush the fluid and actually claimed it had a higher than normal "moisture" content? That was the first time. Now I wait for the "slave" part to arrive from the US, and we see what happens next.
Thanks for the reply!

ANYONE PLANNING TO GO THE THE GM SHOW AND SHINE ON AUGUST 6TH?

ichpen
07-15-10, 08:45 PM
Yes, the dealer (Old Mill) did flush the fluid and actually claimed it had a higher than normal "moisture" content? That was the first time. Now I wait for the "slave" part to arrive from the US, and we see what happens next.
Thanks for the reply!

I'll try to make this one provided car is still in one peace :)

Jon
07-19-10, 06:33 PM

I'm going to shoot out an email to all members and see if we can get more to come. It'll be fun to cruise down together like we did a few years ago.

acuraman
07-20-10, 12:10 PM
Latest news: I had the same clutch issue again while waiting for the "slave" piece to be delivered to the dealer. Same scenario...hot day, heavy traffic...pedal failure 3 times. Each time I would pull over at the side of the road, wait 10 minutes and pull the clutch pedal up again by hand. After the third incident (in about a kilometer of driving) I gave up and called On-Star for a tow...that took 2 hours on the side of the road on Davenport and Avenue roads in Friday rush hour traffic. Long story short: The whole ordeal took over 4 hours by the time I got home that night. The dealer has had my car since last Friday night and says the whole transmission must come out to repair/replace the part and they would have the car until Thursday. I am disappointed and fearful that once they start to play with the transmission, I will ALWAYS encounter tranny issues. I am begining to feel the need to watch my kilometers and warranty balance !
Anyway...I am planning to drive to this GM event on Aug. 6th, so hopefully we will have other participants.