: Heat Noise?

dqw1
07-09-10, 10:18 AM
It's been extremely hot in the south this year. One thing I've noticed is when the interior of the car is hot after sitting for a while, I get all kinds of creaking noise. In the morning when I first drive there's no noise at all. I know the sun roof is one source but the entire center stack all the way back to the shifter is really noisy. I hear the creaking over most bumps and turns almost like flexing. It's almost like everything is screwed down too tight. Anyone else getting this and any suggestions on what may be causing the noise? I'd hate to have anything torn down but i may have no choice.

pmsteinm
07-09-10, 10:35 AM
I notice this too when its hot (its been over 100 several days here). Seems like after its been sitting in the lot at work all day in the sun it will make more noise. The Recaros also cause some noise since they are pressing up against the center console.

I can't stand car creaks/rattles, but these I let slide because they go away as the car cools off. Now the slight ticking sound coming from somewhere in the back drives me nuts, but I can't locate it and it only does it in the moderate temperature range (never when cold or really hot) and only sometimes.

lavaman
07-09-10, 10:48 AM
Mine does this too. I have experienced it both when very hot inside the car as well as cold. It creaks until the temps have moderated then stops. About half way home on my 20 minute commute after work the creaking stops. But when it's creaking.... IT COMES AT YOU FROM ALL DIRECTIONS!

dqw1
07-09-10, 11:12 AM
Both of you have nailed exactly what I'm experiencing. Glad it's not just me. During the winter I never heard anything.
I also noticed one the right or passenger side of the center console, you can push it in easily and reproduce some of the noise but the drivers side can't be pushed in. I almost think the whole thing is bolted down so tight that there's no "give".

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-14-10, 12:19 PM
I would recommend speaking with a local dealership about this issue. They would be able to diagnose and fix the issue for you. You should also be under your 4 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty so you should be covered for the fix, under normal circumstances. I hope that helps you. If you have any other concerns or issues with your vehicle you can speak with me through the forum.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

asabase
07-14-10, 12:51 PM
I have the exact same creaking. As soon as it warmed up it started. It is mostly the center console. You can push on the black trim to reproduce it. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't hear any creaking. Sigh.

BTW, there is another silver GTR in town that lives down my road. Had to lift to keep from running into him. :)

Z06ified
07-14-10, 12:59 PM
Mine doesn't make any noises. Maybe I've been lucky, but no rattles or creaks or any other noise @5k miles. Just the wheel clicking issue, but that's outside anyway, and soon to be fixed with the new wheels.

dqw1
07-14-10, 01:05 PM
I have the exact same creaking. As soon as it warmed up it started. It is mostly the center console. You can push on the black trim to reproduce it. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't hear any creaking. Sigh.

BTW, there is another silver GTR in town that lives down my road. Had to lift to keep from running into him. :)
I seen that GTR turning north on Hughes from HY20. It sounded pretty good.
Back on topic: The next time I take it in, I'll go mid day when it's hot so they can hear the creaking. Thanks Jeff.

asabase
07-14-10, 01:10 PM
The Hughs Rd one is the first GTR. I think he has a catback or something because it was pretty loud.

There is another one that goes south on Zierdt down my way. It shot flames out the back on the shifts. heh.

There is actually another white one I've seen on south parkway too.

dqw1
07-14-10, 03:09 PM
It did sound good. When I finally get my B&B cat-back I'll let you check it out you want to hear. Hope to get it in the 2 weeks.

RapidRob
07-14-10, 06:56 PM
Mine doesn't make any noises. Maybe I've been lucky, but no rattles or creaks or any other noise @5k miles. Just the wheel clicking issue, but that's outside anyway, and soon to be fixed with the new wheels.

Same here - slight noise from sun-roof during turns, etc., and clicking front wheels. No interior noise at all - hot or cold, and even when center console is pushed, etc. Just lucky I guess, or the noises reported here are not all that common ... :hmm:

Rob

cbloveday
07-14-10, 07:19 PM
It was 90+ in Chicago today. For the first time I had my V in direct sun all day. When I got in and started the car the NAV screen squeeled the whole way to the up position.

We really need a way to vent the car
(besides remote start and air coming on).

BMW has a feature where you hold a button on the fob and the windows go down. Also can use it auto close while outside the vehicle.

mbshoe
07-14-10, 08:43 PM
I would recommend speaking with a local dealership about this issue. They would be able to diagnose and fix the issue for you. You should also be under your 4 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty so you should be covered for the fix, under normal circumstances. I hope that helps you. If you have any other concerns or issues with your vehicle you can speak with me through the forum.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Honestly, mine creaks from so many places after sitting in the sun that I figured it's hopeless. I parked it at lunchtime today (middle 80's) and when I drove away, it was like a pile of crickets. A bump in the road, a small lip at the end of a driveway, uneven pavement, anything that causes any sort of body flex results in many of the interior panels clicking and ticking as they shift around and rub against each other. It's not any particular isolated place. I hear it from all sides.

nradcad
07-15-10, 12:16 AM
Ah, you've touched on my other pet peeve with this car - THE DAMN RATTLES! OH MY GOD IT'S AWEFUL. Every time I turn a corner, or go over anything of any grade or slope, it sounds like the interior of my car is just gonna bust and shatter into a million pieces. Seriously? :helpless: It's terrible and I'm so disappointed. I've never NEVER had a car with this many interior rattle and squeaks. And they come from everywhere. The center dash, the center console, the seat, the sunroof, the back seat, the you name it. This is why I want a louder engine note and exhaust, so I don't have to listen to those effin rattles. IT'S KILLING ME. :bonkers:

CTS NV
07-15-10, 01:17 AM
I notice it's worse when turning on the AC while the interior is cooling down. If you dare to brave the heat, it won't sound as bad (but it might get a bit hellish)

Of course, the squeaks vanish on a cool morning...

Is there really a fix? Does it involve duct tape and bubble gum? WD-40 perhaps?

mugatu22
07-15-10, 03:48 AM
Ah, you've touched on my other pet peeve with this car - THE DAMN RATTLES! OH MY GOD IT'S AWEFUL. Every time I turn a corner, or go over anything of any grade or slope, it sounds like the interior of my car is just gonna bust and shatter into a million pieces. Seriously? :helpless: It's terrible and I'm so disappointed. I've never NEVER had a car with this many interior rattle and squeaks. And they come from everywhere. The center dash, the center console, the seat, the sunroof, the back seat, the you name it. This is why I want a louder engine note and exhaust, so I don't have to listen to those effin rattles. IT'S KILLING ME. :bonkers:

+1 this bothered me when I had my last one. I've yet to own a GM that didn't rattle and creak loudly :( You become so accustomed to it that riding in a different car make it seem like you're in a Rolls Royce.

The dealership's "Cannot duplicate customer complaint" response may be one of the most infuriating things EVER.

Marcuse12
07-16-10, 11:15 AM
I couldn't stand the creaking either, so I removed the two side panels on the center console....the ones that look like fake carbon fiber....and this allows you to basically pop off the center obsidian trim (where the shift handle is). When you do this there is absolutely NO creaking, none....Its that center piece that is to blame....So I covered the underside of that piece with duct tape, and the creaking is 95% gone now, still creaks ever so slightly when hot, but I am sooooo happy now. Give it a try....I wonder if there is a better material to apply to the trim other than duct tape, I have this bad feeling that its going to melt slowly over the years and loose its effectiveness. Oh, I also removed the sunroof trim and duct taped the hell out of that too, and its quiet as a mouse.

Caddyscat
07-16-10, 11:41 AM
Expansion and contraction. Car gets warm, tolerances of fitting parts gets too tight hence the squeaking. Everything creaks as it expands. How much did you pay for the V? I'm sure if they added material to key zones the car would in fact be quieter but also more expensive. Just epoxy everything together and your creaks will be a thing of the past.
Instead of Duct tape, get some thin leather and use it as a gasket in the various mounting locations where squeaks and rattles are. Duct tape WILL in fact deteriorate and make future jobs even more difficult.

Caddyscat
07-16-10, 11:43 AM
I also forgot to add that high humidity levels cause materials to expand as well. Keep your HVAC set to 75 degrees it will aid in dehumidification.

dqw1
07-16-10, 12:11 PM
i'd love to set my HVAC to 75 but that's not an option down here in the south. Hopefully the engineers can come up with a fix pretty quick. It certainly has a something to do with the temp's.

Caddyscat
07-16-10, 04:02 PM
Is it bloody hot down there dqw1? Took my wife to lunch today. Listened for my squeaks. They're there but I'm scared to pull trim pieces - afraid of the trim clips snapping or something.
I guess if you want a quiet car you buy an Acura or something similar. Would be nice to make a retrofit kit with felt and leather gaskets to quiet the mating plastic pieces. I't really wouldn't be all that difficult actually.

dqw1
07-17-10, 07:19 AM
I'm not buying a damn Acura. Now an Audi R8, I only wish i could and I'd still keep the V.;)
I'm not unhappy with the car, I just wanted to make sure this a sorta common hot weather phenomena. I'm also wary about pulling any trim pieces unless it's a sure fix.

nradcad
07-18-10, 03:31 PM
...duct tape huh.....hmm...