: GM Performance intake for 09-10

LITTLEELVISDAN
07-09-10, 08:29 AM
I just ordered mine. It seems they did make them but also discontinued them. Luke at lindsay was cool enough to go the extra mile and locate one still on someones shelf. So I snatched it up.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here is the really cool thing. HE FOUND 2. :)

So there is one left to be had. Give him a call to snatch the last one up. Happy fast dialing.......:thumbsup:

LITTLEELVISDAN
07-12-10, 12:13 AM
Anyone grab the last one?

hcvone
07-12-10, 07:54 AM
The 09' and 10's use a MAF cartridge instead of the MAF sensor that has been used for years, this has caused many issues for manufacturers and only K&N and Volant offer systems at this time. Whoever makes it for GM (maybe AFE) must have only made a few. On my 2010's the best power and performance is using a 2007-2008 Volant air bridge and a reworked 2010 stock air box, no drone and good gains.

LITTLEELVISDAN
07-12-10, 11:44 AM
I know. that is more the reason to grab a real GM performance intake whoever maikes it.

hcvone
07-12-10, 12:45 PM
I know. that is more the reason to grab a real GM performance intake whoever maikes it.

I would not say it's more of a reason to get one, the GM exhaust offered has less power and gives you more interior noise that other systems that offer better performance and no interior noise, just because it's says GM Performance does not mean it does any better job than other products, it just means that GM makes money on that said product. ;)

LITTLEELVISDAN
07-12-10, 05:23 PM
How much for the K&N and Volant?

Besides NO intake is really worth the money charged if you think about it. K&N will gum up your air flow sensor after a while or for that matter any oiled filter will.

Most auto makers design an intake to reduce noise and heat soak while trying to retain air flow. K&N and others try to maximize airflow at the cost of noise and heat. BY heat I mean the materials and heat shileds a stock intake has, does a better job keeping heatsoak out. True, a CAI may be extended lower than stock to grab cooler air but more times than not they are just single wall aluminum or plastic tube that is unshielded and retains/transmits under hood heat. They are also often not provided with a heatshiled between the engine compartment and filter, thus defeating the purpose of a CAI by sucking in hot under hood air.

To each his own really. I don't mind under hood noise.

My STS-V stock intake made the blower so you couldn't hear it. Replaced it with an aftermarket intake and WOW!!! You can hear the blower coming down the street.

hcvone
07-13-10, 08:35 AM
How much for the K&N and Volant?

Besides NO intake is really worth the money charged if you think about it. K&N will gum up your air flow sensor after a while or for that matter any oiled filter will.

Most auto makers design an intake to reduce noise and heat soak while trying to retain air flow. K&N and others try to maximize airflow at the cost of noise and heat. BY heat I mean the materials and heat shileds a stock intake has, does a better job keeping heatsoak out. True, a CAI may be extended lower than stock to grab cooler air but more times than not they are just single wall aluminum or plastic tube that is unshielded and retains/transmits under hood heat. They are also often not provided with a heatshiled between the engine compartment and filter, thus defeating the purpose of a CAI by sucking in hot under hood air.

To each his own really. I don't mind under hood noise.

My STS-V stock intake made the blower so you couldn't hear it. Replaced it with an aftermarket intake and WOW!!! You can hear the blower coming down the street.

K&N and Volant use plastic like the stock system, of course they try to smooth the air flow out for max performance. I have used oil type filters since the early 80's and never had any MAF issues, but of course how much oil is used is the key, you just need enough to "wet" the filter, not soak it. I have always seen a gain in performance when switching the stock air intake system, and I do it every car/truck I own. :)