: Cold Air Intake systems

bubba-v
07-09-10, 06:12 AM
Any cold air intake systems out there other than D3's that anyone can recommend?

PGA2B
07-09-10, 12:18 PM
There will be another option that is going to be much cheaper within the next month from a major manufacturer of Air Intakes.

bubba-v
07-09-10, 07:16 PM
Awesome thanks for the reply! If you can start a thread when they become available so I know where to get one. Any idea as to appearance, sound, all that good stuff! Thanks again.

coach123
07-09-10, 08:29 PM
PGA2B... I know you had discussed last month that the company might have these available this month has the availability been pushed back.. When could we possibly see something for sure.

cad08stsv
07-10-10, 10:13 AM
I would be interested in them also Please advise.
Russell

550HP STSV
07-10-10, 04:08 PM
I also have been waiting for that company PGA2B, with no update.

PGA2B
07-11-10, 12:38 AM
The company is Spectre Performance. Send them an email to tech at spectreperformance dot com (because they are not a sponsoring vendor I can't post the email address but you get the point) and express your interest in a system. My contact is on the road with their display vehicle and will be back in the office on the 14th. He is going to check with their R&D for a more solid time schedule and I will report when I hear from him this week.

Gary Wells
07-11-10, 10:50 PM
Can't you guys do anything like on the '09 & up CTS-V by cutting / removing the bottom / lower section out? It's said that this is the most cost effective method.

CIWS
07-12-10, 07:58 AM
Can't you guys do anything like on the '09 & up CTS-V by cutting / removing the bottom / lower section out? It's said that this is the most cost effective method.

Our intake system is different than on the 09+ CTS-V.

Gary Wells
07-12-10, 08:21 AM
Bummer, & sorry to hear that. Somebody posted over on the '09 & up CTS-V forum that he got 50 RWHP & 50RWTQ over the factory air box mod with the D3 set-up.

Gary Wells
07-12-10, 08:29 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/204742-d3-research-design-introduces-new-super-2.html#post2299511

bubba-v
07-13-10, 02:17 PM
How does the Dyno testing that I have seen D3 on there videos perform with the rear wheels removed compare to the results of a real dyno. On a motorcycle you would lose more power from the rear wheels than the transmission I realize apples & oranges.

Dr. Design
07-13-10, 04:47 PM
hello,
Actually that is a real dyno. The measured gains are compared to the baseline numbers that are procured from the baseline. It is important to NOT compare dyno numbers from one to another as they will always be different.

By removing the wheels from the equation, we are able to eliminate any variables such as tire spin, or traction issues. This is very helpful when trying to dial-in racecars and specialized setups.

Remember the net gain is the most important number.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

How does the Dyno testing that I have seen D3 on there videos perform with the rear wheels removed compare to the results of a real dyno. On a motorcycle you would lose more power from the rear wheels than the transmission I realize apples & oranges.

bubba-v
07-14-10, 07:20 AM
Im not knocking your numbers or the dyno, I realize you guys do excellent work. The point is though that if you were to do the same on other vehicles or change the tires to lighter tires you would get an increase of horsepower on a dyno but those numbers would not necessarily transfer once you put the tires to the track. Like I said I may be comparing apples to oranges, is there a program in your dyno that applies the weight of the tires and other variables I dont know? I'd buy a D3 intake for the sound alone even if it had a 0hp increase let us know when you have a good sale and I'll grab one and I am sure you would have plenty of other takers.

Gary Wells
07-14-10, 08:47 AM
For interesting and informative reading about how a dynapack works, and the differences between it and other types of dynos, please see the following:

http://home.earthlink.net/~spchurch/churchautomotivetesting/id12.html

CIWS
07-14-10, 10:54 AM
A dyno, any dyno, is a diagnostic tool. Best results are achieved if all testing is done using the same dyno no matter who builds it.

bubba-v
07-14-10, 12:25 PM
Ok ok guys sorry for getting off track I was just looking for some cold air intakes other than
D3, again not to knock D3 I'd take a D3 one if they want to give a forum discount or something. Thanks for all the good info

PGA2B
07-14-10, 02:50 PM
Ok ok guys sorry for getting off track I was just looking for some cold air intakes other than
D3, again not to knock D3 I'd take a D3 one if they want to give a forum discount or something. Thanks for all the good info

Bubba, before you spend an arm and a leg please read my posts in this thread :thumbsup:.

550HP STSV
07-14-10, 04:13 PM
Any idea how much longer PGA?

PGA2B
07-14-10, 04:16 PM
My contact just got back off the road yesterday. I will be talking to him tomorrow to push for more info.

bubba-v
07-14-10, 06:43 PM
Thanx PGA Im definitley in, keep us posted!

Red Snake
07-14-10, 10:14 PM

There is an awesome fabrication/powder coating company nearby (JMB Performance) that makes top notch, very high quality parts including CAIs for other cars like Vipers, Viper trucks, SRT8s, SRT4s etc..... I can check with them and see if I can get them to make one for the STS V.

Would a CAI be universal to all years of the STS V or were there variances in the intakes of the different year models?

meekna
07-15-10, 08:18 AM
lol... for a second there, I thought you meant the Viper, SRT8's were high quality.:bancha:

Red Snake
07-15-10, 09:20 AM
lol... for a second there, I thought you meant the Viper, SRT8's were high quality.:bancha:

Well........My V has been back to the dealership for repairs many more times than my Viper has. :hmm:

:histeric:

PGA2B
07-15-10, 03:35 PM
Everyone........

PLEASE send an email to tech at spectreperformance dot com and request an intake for our V's.

The more demand they see the faster this will go.

coach123
07-15-10, 04:46 PM
Email sent

Cataract
07-15-10, 05:19 PM
Email sent

Ditto

PGA2B
07-15-10, 10:42 PM
AWESOME!!

Keep it up. I got a call that they have 10 emails for the past 2 days!!

coach123
07-16-10, 12:11 AM
Okay I got an email back from Dave Johnston that the full CAI should be available in 4-6 months.

PGA2B
07-16-10, 10:24 AM
Okay I got an email back from Dave Johnston that the full CAI should be available in 4-6 months.

Guy Smith is the contact and he is spearheading the effort. It is not going to be that long. Maybe a month. The 4-6 months is a standard answer.

bubba-v
07-16-10, 01:24 PM
I also asked about the parts listing to construct one from the modular section of their catalog. Anyone know of any issues in piecing one together from the parts they have available?

PGA2B
07-16-10, 04:53 PM
I also asked about the parts listing to construct one from the modular section of their catalog. Anyone know of any issues in piecing one together from the parts they have available?

If you go that route you will need the following tubes.

4 60* 3" elbows
1 45* 4" Elbow
24" of straight 3" tube
24" of straight 4"
6 3" clamps
2or 3 4" clamps
1 MAF adapter bung
1 4" inlet Filter of your choice
You will need to weld two of the 60* elbows to a 4" outlet for the "Y" and weld in the adapter bung for the MAF, various Vac nipples, and hold down clamps that will need to fabed up :thumbsup:

coach123
07-16-10, 05:25 PM
Why don't we ask and see if Jesse from Wait4Me performance will fabricate a few CAI for us. I'm sure if we had a few people interested he would make some for us. Is anyone located within driving distance of Warsaw IN? I will be in that area with my car in the middle of August. If you gave him some notice I'm sure he could fabricate one in a day to get the design right. We need a list of people interested.

I was going to have a local guy fabricate one for me next week but I would rather use someone that is willing to make multiple sets so that everyone else can benefit from it.

coach123
07-16-10, 05:31 PM
Sent Jesse a PM about it

PGA2B
07-17-10, 12:24 AM
Why don't we ask and see if Jesse from Wait4Me performance will fabricate a few CAI for us. I'm sure if we had a few people interested he would make some for us. Is anyone located within driving distance of Warsaw IN? I will be in that area with my car in the middle of August. If you gave him some notice I'm sure he could fabricate one in a day to get the design right. We need a list of people interested.

I was going to have a local guy fabricate one for me next week but I would rather use someone that is willing to make multiple sets so that everyone else can benefit from it.
Spectre Performance is making one for us.:confused: Why are you looking for someone else to try and make one? Patience sir....Good things come to those who wait. Did you send an email to Spectre like I asked?:thumbsup:

coach123
07-17-10, 01:15 AM
Yes I did.. However, when they came back and stated that it would be 4-6 months before it would be available to the public I became discouraged. I understand that you have another connection within Spectre and he is stating it will be within a month but I myself (and possibly others) need some type of verification that that statement is true. I have waited almost a month since the first time that you talked about them getting a CAI out to us. I just don't want to do that again. I am looking to get something within the next 4 weeks.

Competition only makes for a better market place for us. Lets get more than one company going on this and maybe it will speed up the process a bit. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from purchasing a Spectre CAI. The CTS-V's have multiple companies producing kits for them and seem to continue to sell kits. We currently only have one which is about 3-4 times as expensive as any of the kits for the old and new generation CTS-V.

CIWS
07-17-10, 09:30 AM
I don't want to rain on your parade, but getting anyone to develop anything specifically for this car now would be a very rare/fortunate thing. It was a very limited production car in the first place, but now also being discontinued last year means their potential profit in developing something would be negligible because from what we've guessed there's about what 3500-3800 of these cars total ?

coach123
07-17-10, 10:44 AM
I understand that and that is exactly what I have heard from companies when I contacted them to produce several performance enhancers for our cars. Our only luck is to get some of the smaller companies to make things for our cars. Small independent companies are still producing parts for the old generation CTS-V. A small company could corner the market so to speak with our community. This is the exact reason why D3 can price their parts whatever they like because no one else produces them. People still buy the parts because they want performance enhancers so D3 even though the quantity of parts sold is small still makes a profit. Just simple supply and demand.

D3 makes excellent parts and I applaud them for taking the time to get performance enhancing parts to our community. They are just a little too expensive for my taste.

bubba-v
07-17-10, 06:21 PM
Has anyone ever tried removing the housing and modifying the cover to recieve a cone filter? It looks like you could just attach an intake right to the tube that contains the MAF sensor if you seperated it from the back side of the cover.

PGA2B
07-18-10, 08:55 PM
Has anyone ever tried removing the housing and modifying the cover to recieve a cone filter? It looks like you could just attach an intake right to the tube that contains the MAF sensor if you seperated it from the back side of the cover.

You would have to cut off the factory air box (Which would be permanent). I am on vacation this week and will be talking to Guy as soon as I get back.

Red Snake
07-18-10, 09:30 PM
I have an appointment on July 31 to get a CAI fabbed up on my car at JMB Performance. ;)

bubba-v
07-19-10, 11:30 AM
Well you would just make a modification on one side of the airbox, they actually list the two parts of the airbox as housing and cover. The replacement for the side closest to the engine looks like it could be cut, where you seperate the tube from the rest of the assembly. I figure you could throw a rubber coupler and air filter on there and still have the vacuum lines and maf functioning from the stock unit.
GM partsdirect list it at somewhere around 80$ if you need a replacement or backup. Leave some room on the cover side and if you wanted to put it back just reattach it with hose clamps and a rubber coupler.

If you dont mind sharing what $'s are you looking at from JMB for the full CAI?

Red Snake
07-19-10, 03:34 PM

If you dont mind sharing what $'s are you looking at from JMB for the full CAI?
I don't know how much yet until they see how much work is involved in making it. I have done enough business with them on my other cars to know that it won't be anywhere near as much as these other guys are charging.

MiamiV
07-19-10, 04:42 PM
I currently work at a cadillac dealership and one of our mechanics has created a custom air box for a cone.

coach123
07-19-10, 05:31 PM
I spoke to Jesse from Wait4Me performance and he said that he purchased another STS-V to design some new products for and will be coming out with them in the near future. Based on some of the discussions on the new CTS-V forum it seems they have likely went as far as they can go with the LSA without completely rebuilding it. Now maybe we will see some interesting products coming out for our cars.

Makes me almost want to hold up on some of the things I am currently working on for my car.

bubba-v
07-19-10, 07:57 PM
Well first off the car will run fine if you seperate the tubing from the housing and attach a filter to it.
Secondly I had no issue reattaching the tubing back to the housing and going back basically to stock.
I left the one side of the hose clamp and coupler on closest to the engine and plopped the 4'' spectre cone filter off the side away from the engine and slid a portion of the tubing from the airbox into its place and secured with hose clamp.

Just to follow up on what alot of people already stated I recieved the same response back from Spectre, 4 to 6 months for a kit to come out for the STS-V they also stated they dont expect to have an STS-V for them to look at in order to build the kit until next month. Seemed like a nice bunch of folks though and offered assistance with custom builds and advice or recommendations while setting up a system.

nlharter
07-19-10, 10:48 PM
Do you have any pictures Bubba?

bubba-v
07-20-10, 07:34 AM
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/bubba-v/th_035.jpg (http://s876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/bubba-v/?action=view&current=035.jpg)
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/bubba-v/th_032.jpg (http://s876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/bubba-v/?action=view&current=032.jpg)

FYI if you are going to try it, it would be a good idea to remove your maf sensor while doing any cutting and try to keep your oily fingers from touching all over the damn thing and of course make sure you spend the time to clean up your work and any shavings or loose pieces before reattaching, in other words use common sense.

bubba-v
07-20-10, 09:24 AM
I should have noted this earlier. The first picture is with the stock airbox reinstalled with hoseclamp, second pic is with spectre 4'' cone filter attached.

550HP STSV
07-20-10, 12:18 PM
does it sound like the stage 2 D3 intake now?

bubba-v
07-20-10, 01:42 PM
This was just some garage experimentation to see if it could be done, without any issues or check engine lights. I also removed the two intake "mufflers".
Hitting it on the road sounds similar to a jet wanting to take off!
D3's is a better way to go no doubt- but subtract the 23$ difference in cost for a spectre air filter from the cost of a stage 2 intake and decide how much you are willing to spend in order to hear the supercharger.

550HP STSV
07-21-10, 11:56 AM
could we get a video outside the car bubba?

bubba-v
07-22-10, 10:09 AM
Hey 550hp I will try and put something together for you this weekend. I have been wanting to do it myself experimenting with the sounds and differences in throttle response while in the stock configuration vs. stock airbox with air intake "muffler" removed; cone filter with and without the air intake "muffler",

550HP STSV
07-22-10, 12:12 PM
thanks bubba. i'd really apprecaiate it, so would many other members im sure.

coach123
07-22-10, 04:42 PM
I made the first section of the air intake when I first purchased my car using spectre parts available at autozone. It is 4" diameter aluminum tubing which I think cost me like $70 for everything, I didn't want to cut into my stock airbox. Now I just need to have the second portion fabricated and I'm good. Here is a pic

bubba-v
07-22-10, 04:50 PM
That looks awesome, you da man!:highfive:
I would consider just modding something to replace the air intake resonators where you could just insert a straight tube in place of the plastic one with holes, than you would have some nice smooth airflow, increased sound and still have that heat protection offered by the stock system.

coach123
07-22-10, 07:52 PM
I think heat is one of the problems with the stock air intake system. I can go drive my car and pull the stock intake off an hour later and it is still too hot to touch. An aluminum intake or a ceramic coated intake would be able to dissipate the heat much better than the stock material.

bubba-v
07-24-10, 03:04 AM
I agree heat is an issue a better heat shield around the air filter would probably help, I have been tinkering with sheet metal as a heat barrier and just over a 4'' diameter hole cut into it in order to allow the intake through and it works well.

Also, every pic I have seen shows the same size air filter. I have all new filters one oem, another spectre #8132 5.5'' and a K&N re-0870 at 9''. With the larger cone there is a difference in power. Is there any reason to be sticking with the smaller sized filters?

bubba-v
07-29-10, 07:47 PM
On each side of car behind the front grill are rubber panels that can be folded back, theyre are actually clips on there and it can be clipped back to stay in that position. Maybe worth experimentation with routing the air flow to the filter and reducing temps.
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/bubba-v/frontgrillrubberpnl.jpg