: Shudder on start-up - motor mount indication?

mitchntx
07-09-10, 04:43 AM
I have noticed a slight "shudder" on start-up.

It began shortly after a recent exhibition of acceleration. :D

When I shifted to 3rd, I heard/felt a bump, but thought it was just driveline shock.

A visual doesn't really show any indications of broken or torn mounts on teh motor, trans or diff.

So is it real or am I just paranoid from reading the internet too much?

YoshiV
07-09-10, 07:41 AM
They are probably getting weak. Mine felt the same way for almost a year. Would check them periodically and never found evidence of a break until yesterday when I was replacing my fog light bulbs and I noticed the driver side mount had puked on the side of the oil pan. There was no event or noise that made me know it broke.

rand49er
07-09-10, 08:27 AM
Nothing on shut down?

I had the opportunity to check out a local V for a guy here on the forum. It had a very noticeable shudder on shut down, but didn't notice anything during start up.

Another guy here changed out his MMs and didn't notice that they were leaking until he had them in his hands.

Just adding some additional info for you.

lollygagger8
07-09-10, 09:17 AM
Randy's right.....you might not see the liquid right off the get go, but it could be broken. The weight of the engine sitting on it could be keeping it closed. Do some nice fast twisties and some of the liquid might come out.

Here's a pic of mine after I took it out.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/n2havnfun2/Motor%20Mounts/motormount.jpg

There was some evidence of the leak prior though. It leaked on the oil pan a little and disguises itself as an oil leak, only the fluid is greenish/brown.

The drivers side usually goes first it seems like.

CadzillaTN
07-09-10, 11:08 AM
mine are shot, on startup there is a brash chatter like snap..

like others said, they are crap long before they puke

SS from the "Wood"
07-09-10, 04:10 PM
Call Max & Kristy at Creative Steel, send 'em some cash, buy a 12 pack, and get ready for an epic battle!

AG'S-V
07-09-10, 04:25 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/204743-creative-steel-youtube-motor-mount-install.html

Read and watch...VERY helpful. Wish I knew the subframe trick when I was helping Birdman with his!