: No Lift Shift didn't work

Club Malibu
07-09-10, 12:20 AM
Car is finally broken in.

Anyways, I was accelerating and I wanted to try the No Lift Shift. I was in 2nd gear, gas pedal floored, I'm about to shift into 3rd, the RPMs are at 4000 and rising, with the gas pedal floored, I push the clutch all the way in and push the shifter from 2nd to 3rd, the RPMs rose to like about 5000 and as the shifter went into 3rd, the gears grinded a little bit. Traction Control was on, in the "normal" mode.

What gives? Did I mess this up? The RPMs rose, as it would on any other car.

I did a search for "lift" on the 2009 owner's manual and the 2010 and found nothing.

So, does it have to be in Competitive mode?????

Am I an idiot??? Just not fast enough? Tell me.

Ross L
07-09-10, 06:52 AM
This is complete speculation but.... I would think it needed to be done at say 5800-6000 rpms for it to work. Plus, the shift needs to happen fast. Try it again, worst case is you hit the rev limiter;).

commander112
07-09-10, 07:13 AM
The revs will not hold on a no lift shift. They will rise to the limiter so your shifting action needs to be fast and when you lift your foot off the clutch you best hang on because the car just launches like a rocket and wheels will want to break loose.

Umrswimr
07-09-10, 09:09 AM
The no-lift feature merely keeps the boost up during the gearchange. As long as the clutch is depressed and the synchros work , there should be no grinding. Again, as long as the clutch is depressed, it doesn't matter if the engine is at idle, WOT, 6K, 3k, or OFF- the rear tires are the ones spinning up the next gear. The 2-3 gearchange will always be harder than 1-2, so keep that in mind. According to this R&T article (http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/drives/2009_cadillac_cts-v), you have about a second to complete the gearchange, so don't worry about rushing it at first.

Razorecko
07-09-10, 10:34 AM
so than it doesnt matter what rpm you no lift shift it at ? I thought you could only do it when the rpm's started flashing

garfin
07-09-10, 10:45 AM
Try building to WOT redline shifts gradually in order to get the "feel" of how this works. I started doing the no-lift shift at about 3 grand and I'm working my way up to higher RPMs. Keep your foot steady at whatever RPM you've decided to shift at and just work the clutch and shifter as quickly as you can. I'm doing it at about 5 grand now and as has been stated, the car is a beast! It does want to step out sideways a bit when you quickly lift your foot off the clutch (at least in competitive mode!)
I will make sure that when I do this at even higher RPMs, it's on a wide road - preferably on a track and not on the street!! The "chirping" tires on the shift could tend to attract some unwanted attention!

Best regards,

Elie

shadybx7
07-09-10, 11:41 AM
not bad guys, any vids of this in action? was this a feature designed into the V2 or just a capability users found out about?... i cant even imagine doing a no lift shift on a V1:diffasplode:

trans_lux
07-09-10, 01:06 PM
I've successfully done it a couple times and its an awesome feeling, just make sure you have enough road or better yet hit a road course with a long straight away as you will hit some seriously high speeds quickly if you have red-lined in 3rd!

RemoWilliams
07-09-10, 01:27 PM
Clip from this article: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/4280250

Cadillac included GM's "No Lift Shift" electronics, which allows drivers to upshift manual-transmission cars without lifting off the gas. Simply keep your right foot planted on the gas, stab the clutch with your left, and move the shift lever—the computer automatically cuts engine power. It's power shifting without killing the trans, and it really helps the CTS-V achieve startling velocity. (Zero-to-60 time should be around four seconds.)

Clip from this article: http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/drives/2009_cadillac_cts-v

The Tremec TR6060 manual transmission handles power shifting with ease, which is good as the V is equipped with a no-lift shift feature. When near redline, the engine will hold boost for 1 second while the throttle is kept pressed to the floor. The exercise of power-shifting can be addictive.

GMX322V S/C
07-09-10, 04:16 PM
not bad guys, any vids of this in action?Search YouTube for "heinricy monticello." There's at least one video where he's doing no-lift shifts (he also shows he's human when he misses one, albeit while giving the on-track interview)

...i cant even imagine doing a no lift shift on a V1:diffasplode:lol - that's when you put in your Ford 9" :D

cdog533
07-10-10, 02:58 AM
We used to call this "speed shifting" back in the day. It breaks parts. It'll even break a Muncie 4-speed that was expecting it, much less the tranny in the V.

I wouldn't do it that often unless you like transmission/half shaft/differential replacement.

GMX322V S/C
07-10-10, 03:32 AM
"No-lift shifting" is a feature of the 2009+ CTS-V, when equipped with a manual transmission. The computer limits revs and holds boost up for up to a second when shifting while keeping the throttle wide open.

cdog533
07-10-10, 11:03 AM
But you can basically do that in any car. If you bang the shifts quick enough, you won't hit the limiter in say a Porsche 911 turbo. Or a Ferrari 360. Just shift right before redline and make the gear change quick.

That does not mean that speed shifting is good for the car. The guy in the video has plenty of cars and parts leading back to a factory still making them. Most of us only have one car and no parts.

GM saying its a feature isn't going to cause any less breakage. I think that in 1-2, the wheelspin is providing some slack, 2-3 is a little tougher, and 3-4 is just straight pounding the driveline.

This thread is going to have people breaking their cars.

Razorecko
07-10-10, 11:18 AM
^ not necessarily. If its in the book and gm says its ok than if something breaks it'll be recorded on the ecu. Also If you're doing no lift shift i would do it in competitive mode. If you do it in norm and most likely you will lose some traction the car will pull back and it'll get very sloppy and leave room for drivetrain shock imho

Umrswimr
07-12-10, 07:49 AM
But you can basically do that in any car. If you bang the shifts quick enough, you won't hit the limiter in say a Porsche 911 turbo. Or a Ferrari 360. Just shift right before redline and make the gear change quick.

That does not mean that speed shifting is good for the car. The guy in the video has plenty of cars and parts leading back to a factory still making them. Most of us only have one car and no parts.

GM saying its a feature isn't going to cause any less breakage. I think that in 1-2, the wheelspin is providing some slack, 2-3 is a little tougher, and 3-4 is just straight pounding the driveline.

This thread is going to have people breaking their cars.
You're ENTIRELY missing the point of this feature.

If you lift off the throttle on a forced induction car, you lose boost. Again, this is partially why F.I. drag racers use an automatic.

The "no lift" feature merely keeps the boost up during gearchanges. Yes, it's just as hard on the driveline as "powershifting" (ie, no-lift shifting), but you'll never bang the limiter.

thatcoder
07-12-10, 08:46 AM
same as flat foot shifting. i'd do it in competition mode, and keep an eye on your rpms as they are the tell tale of when to shift, pretty soon, you'll red line it. hang on to your wheel as the initial launch can be uncontrollable on a narrow road.

cdog533
07-12-10, 03:32 PM
You're ENTIRELY missing the point of this feature.

If you lift off the throttle on a forced induction car, you lose boost. Again, this is partially why F.I. drag racers use an automatic.

The "no lift" feature merely keeps the boost up during gearchanges. Yes, it's just as hard on the driveline as "powershifting" (ie, no-lift shifting), but you'll never bang the limiter.

No, I hear ya there and I understand what it's doing. I just want to sternly warn the people on this forum that this can and WILL break parts.

People may read this thread and think "well, GM made it to do that" and keep doing it. Yes, that's true, but they didn't make it impossible to break under those types of high-stress situations.

This car is a sports sedan, like an M5, not a 70 Nova with a small block. Beating the hell out of it by speed shifting it to get it down the quarter faster will break it.

RemoWilliams
07-13-10, 12:14 AM
This is a car meant to be driven!! Drive your car and throw some no-lift shifts into the mix. It's a lot of fun. The car is not going to break tomorrow if I did a no-lift shift today. I do however expect that my clutch will go a bit sooner then if I babied my car and didn't have any fun.

WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT of having a sic sports sedan is you don't push it every now and then.

JulieBoombotz - I don't know just thought I would throw up a random smile.