: Power Liftgate

corvette00
07-08-10, 07:58 PM
Is there a way to only open this part-way? I wouild like to load and unload items in my garage

doctordog
07-08-10, 10:16 PM
same problem only way that i know of is turn it off overhead console i turned mine off a over a year ago much better dont havet to worry about crushing in the garage door anymore

hcvone
07-09-10, 06:56 AM
I know with my SRX's you can easily open the liftgate manually, of course it's much lighter, my 09' you can stop the liftgate fairly easy and put it in the position you want, my 10's you can not do that, it will reverse and close, and I have many Escalade owner customers that bang the liftgate off their garage doors.

Poindexter
07-09-10, 11:09 AM
I was able to fix that problem on an Acadia by putting a metal stop in the way of the actuator arm. I'm sure its the same design. There is a point at which the motor is no longer pushing the gate and the gate is opening from the gas cylinders. If you are trying to stop the door after the motor has stopped, you can make a cheap fix following the instructions below.

Basically the motor spins a gear that rotates an arm that is connected to the rod that connects to the door. There is a bolt that holds the motor to the car body. The bolt is in the line of travel for the arm. Depending on how far you want the door to open, you can either put in a longer bolt (with a stop nut) and let the arm hit the bolt, or you can do what I did and use the bolt to hold a piece of metal (L shaped) in place to stop the arm. The piece of metal I used is about 2" long, bent 90 deg. in the middle. I drilled a hole in one end for the bolt and put a little bend at the other end to cradle the arm as it makes contact with the metal.

This fix has been working for over a year.

CadX6
07-09-10, 01:33 PM
I was able to fix that problem on an Acadia by putting a metal stop in the way of the actuator arm. I'm sure its the same design. There is a point at which the motor is no longer pushing the gate and the gate is opening from the gas cylinders. If you are trying to stop the door after the motor has stopped, you can make a cheap fix following the instructions below.

Basically the motor spins a gear that rotates an arm that is connected to the rod that connects to the door. There is a bolt that holds the motor to the car body. The bolt is in the line of travel for the arm. Depending on how far you want the door to open, you can either put in a longer bolt (with a stop nut) and let the arm hit the bolt, or you can do what I did and use the bolt to hold a piece of metal (L shaped) in place to stop the arm. The piece of metal I used is about 2" long, bent 90 deg. in the middle. I drilled a hole in one end for the bolt and put a little bend at the other end to cradle the arm as it makes contact with the metal.

This fix has been working for over a year.

Pictures would immeasurably help those of us that are mechanically deficient :cookoo: Sounds like a good fix.

On my 07 I could just stop the liftgate by grabbing the strap or grab handle. It made a god-awful noise & sounded like it was in real pain, but after 3 years there was no apparent damage. On my 09 I can also manually stop it but with no protest from the door, but you have to get it at just the right point. If it's high enough it will stay where it stops, but if it doesn't get to a certain point, it will do as Carl says & close back down on you.