Cadillac Owners Forum banner

windshield crack out of nowhere!

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  gonfishin 
#1 ·
My wife was driving home from work yesterday. She was on a divided highway with no cars in sight. Something hit the passenger side of the windshield followed by a crack across the glass. She said she watched the crack progress until she got home. Now its several inches long:mad2: Now I need to find a reliable company to replace the glass( and tint the windows while they're at it:sneaky:)Oh well.

#4 ·
There are windshields and then there are windshields...really!

Call a reputable shop, get them to describe the difference between the kinds that are used for replacement...there are several different quality levels. Demand OEM or better...in quality...then be sure that those that pull the old windshield are very careful to not scrape the paint...those knife scrapes will be the first rust you find on the car...

Be very careful and demanding...

I let insurance take care of a classic Volvo that had a broken windshield and in five years I was seeing bubbles under the paint at the corners of the windshield...I was really pissed. To add insult to injury, a friend of mine rode in the Volvo and the first thing he mentioned was that I had a really cheap replacement windshield...he is the owner of a glass shop...

G
#7 ·
Mine cracked 1 month into driving the car. This was an easy fix for Safelite as they had the windshield in stock and came that day. I paid $100 deductible and watched them fix it from my office. I was happy. The guy masked off the area where he would be working so that nothing happened to the car.
I did not have the rainsense windshield... actually made specifically sure my car did not come with that. If you have the rainsense windshield, now would be the best time to replace it with the regular windshield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.