: sloppy steering?

tiki240
07-08-10, 04:59 PM
well my V just went in to the dealership and they replaced two front tires, sway bars, endlinks, shocks, and motor mounts (yayyyy warranty!). after 10 days with a 2010 DTS i was itching to get back into my V. i also drove my mothers 05' STS during this time and realized how amazingly tight her steering was. when i got back in my V, and on the highway, i noticed i have amost an inch of play in the steering wheen before the car will start to turn. any ideas what could be causing this? theres no way you're gonna tell me the STS has tighter handling than a CTS-V.... :thepan:

darkman
07-08-10, 05:39 PM
Play in the steering is not a normal condition for a V.

Possible causes (that I can think of) include misalignment, power steering system problem, power steering rack problem, problem with variable steering system that includes senors, or some worn steering part. In your case I would take right back to the dealership.

CadzillaTN
07-08-10, 08:18 PM
my steering feel is disappointing to say the least. .i accept it, but then think to myself "but its a V, it should be better, right"?

i have alot of play. picturing the range of motion from left to right, id say 2 to 3 inches of ambiguous of no action in the center, another inch or so of light feel beyond that, then a good bite where i can feel the wheels. at slow speed i can hear it click in some situations. at rest, if i turn quickly (not hard),it feels like it 'catches up with itself.. when cruising, turning to the left it has nice pushback and return to center, but turn to the right and it just stays out there. i have to put it back at center each time... if i hit a bump, it jumps a bit and sits out to the right. i drove 1300 miles this weekend and although the alignment is centered (after 10 tries), on the divided hwy with equal crown on left and right i have to "hold" the wheel what i feel is an abnormal amount just to keep the line (not wind push)...keep in mind i have 1.6 degrees of neg camber in the front..should both hold and respond better than normal.

i have an appt with the dealer tomorrow for a list of things (AGAIN).

....i wonder if i pulled in there every day for 6 months with the same laundry list, tied up my service write for an hour drinking coffee and muttering like rain man...would they fix the problems?

kevm14
07-08-10, 08:23 PM
Wait a minute....now steering feel is a problem on these cars???

MikeV
07-08-10, 09:37 PM
That sounds odd. The steering in my '05 with 34K miles is VERY tight. In fact the first time i drove it on the highway I couldn't believe how much tighter it was than my previous '06 Acura TL 6MT.

Stepside
07-08-10, 09:48 PM
Hmmm, check your 'caster' adjustment/not enough positive in one wheel and yes, it could be a hydraulic issue.

tiki240
07-08-10, 09:53 PM
well my warranty ran out while she was in the shop so hopefully they will goo faith this as it was one of my original complaints

darkman
07-08-10, 09:54 PM
I have never had a steering problem, but I did install a large aftermarket power steering cooler in place of the OEM cooler. I had noticed, before installing the larger cooler that the power steering fluid turned dark after a few months. (Houston heat) The OEM fluid is crystal clear when new and the Service Manual indicates that dark fluid is "burnt". Whenever, there is an unexplained steering problem changing the fluid might be a good place to start if it is very old or if it looks dark.

shadybx7
07-09-10, 12:26 AM
I have never had a steering problem, but I did install a large aftermarket power steering cooler in place of the OEM cooler. I had noticed, before installing the larger cooler that the power steering fluid turned dark after a few months. (Houston heat) The OEM fluid is crystal clear when new and the Service Manual indicates that dark fluid is "burnt". Whenever, there is an unexplained steering problem changing the fluid might be a good place to start if it is very old or if it looks dark.

[highjack]
my PS fluid is jet black.. im guessing factory fill. Sometimes when i am cruising on the highway i will get this slight wobble from the steering wheel if i let go.. it will track straight but i can visibly see the wheel almost vibrate... any clue on whats causing this??

any pfds on how to flush the system.???

shadybx7
07-09-10, 12:27 AM
Wait a minute....now steering feel is a problem on these cars???
cmmmon.... don't go starting rumors now.lol

Baltimore07V
07-09-10, 01:13 AM
[highjack]
my PS fluid is jet black.. im guessing factory fill. Sometimes when i am cruising on the highway i will get this slight wobble from the steering wheel if i let go.. it will track straight but i can visibly see the wheel almost vibrate... any clue on whats causing this??

any pfds on how to flush the system.???

Alignment would be my first guess. Most modern suspensions will still have the car track straight, but cause your wheel to shake at high speeds. Had that happen on my old '04 WRX. Pretty serious steering wheel vibration, but tracked true to center. Alignment, and it went away.

As for the OP. I had my PS fluid flushed after my fluid went brown, and my steering feel improved a lot. Check your fluid first.

darkman
07-09-10, 07:23 AM
Wheel balance is another likely cause of vibration, particularly if it occurs consistently at the same highway speed.

FLUSHING THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM - Paraphrased from Service Manual
1. Turn off engine.
2. Raise the front wheels off the ground so that the front wheels turn freely.
3. Place a large container under the fluid return hose in order to collect fluid.
4. Remove the fluid return pump at the power steering pump reservoir.
5. Plug the reservoir return hose inlet connection on the power steering pump.
Important-
This procedure may require 4 quarts of power steering fluid until the draining fluid appears clear.
Do not run the engine without the power steering fluid level at FULL COLD MARK.
6. Run the engine at idle while an assistant maintains the fluid level at FULL COLD MARK in the reservoir using new approved power steering fluid.
7. Turn off engine.
8. Turn the steering wheel fully to the left and right.
9. Remove the plug from the pump reservoir inlet connection.
10. Install the fluid return hose to the pump reservoir.
11. Maintain the fluid at FULL COLD MARK.
12. Operate the engine at idle approximately 15 minutes.
13. Repeat Steps 3-5.
14. Inspect the power steering fluid for the following indications of contamination:
a. Milky Fluid water
b. Brown Fluid burnt
c. Plastic debris or dirt chunks.
15. Remove the plug from the pump reservoir inlet connection.
16. Remove the plug from the pump reservoir inlet connection.
17. Clean any spilled fluid.

Another procedure is to:

1. Jack up the car.
2. Remove the apron pins and apron underneath the front bumper/radiator.
3. Remove the bolts holding the PS cooler and let the cooler drop.
4. With a catch pan in place - remove one of the cooler hoses and drain.
5. Reattach the hose.
6. Top off the reservoir with fluid and run the engine 2-3 minutes making sure the reservoir is full.
7. Repeat Steps 4-6 until you are draining clear fluid. (The OEM fluid is crystal clear-some other brands may be red like ATF).
8. Reassemble everything.
9. Recheck the reservoir periodically in case you had an air bubble.

There pictures in the FAQs related to changing the PS cooler.