: 2004 V with Magna Charger Reliabiltiy

Cooly0
07-08-10, 10:02 AM
Are there any related reliability issues? If I am looking at purchasing one.

Also, what sort of value would you place on an 04 with it, a Borla Exhaust, and Magnetek ECU? I'm not all too keen on the idea of the super charger, and prefer the 07 but price may change. It has 30,000mi and is black on black. Looks clean inside and out.

ITSAV
07-08-10, 10:37 AM
any car can be reliable, if what you have done is safe for the car........you should be able to put the maggie on it, and just get a conservative tune on it, and if it was installed right, and everything you shouldn't have any issues

Cooly0
07-08-10, 10:43 AM
Actually, This is one for Sale. It's tuned to 520HP. Would this be considered conservative. Something I can adjust easily after it's install, or something special needed?

Baltimore07V
07-08-10, 10:54 AM
Actually, This is one for Sale. It's tuned to 520HP. Would this be considered conservative. Something I can adjust easily after it's install, or something special needed?

Thats about average from what others post, based on the mods you have listed. I will say that I would not pay additional over the price of an '04V just because its modded. I would say you should pay 17-20k depending on condition. The reason being is you have no guarentee that the mods were done correctly. The second reason being if it was modded, it was most likely beat on.

Remember you don't mod not to drive it like you mean it.

Second question why is the seller getting rid of it? Are they tired of the car, or tired taking car of the car? Dealership or private party?

Take all of those factors in mind when you approach this deal. But a well modded car, that you know the history of can be a fun purchase that lasts you many many years.

MauiV
07-08-10, 12:18 PM
I have a Maggied 04 with 107,XXX miles and original diff, an daily drive it. Magge has been on for about 50,000 miles or so. 520rwhp is high for just a Maggie. 430-440 is the norm there. Is it cammed? Long tubes? Board members car? 30,000 miles shows it obviously just a weekend driver. Installs done by a shop or the owner?

PISNUOFF
07-08-10, 12:34 PM
I think he's talking 520 Hp at the crank. That's probably how it was advertised, people like to see the bigger number.

MIAdragon
07-08-10, 03:16 PM
If you're not too keen on a blower car, why get that one? Its not like they grow on trees.

heavymetals
07-08-10, 05:00 PM
"Remember you don't mod not to drive it like you mean it."

I beg to differ.

Some people just like to tinker (like me).

There is nothing wrong with building a neatly modified high performance car and not beating the crap out of it.

Some people buy one already made and don't beat on it.

Those types of cars built like owners like me may be few and far between, but don't make assumptions.

rand49er
07-08-10, 05:04 PM
If you're not too keen on a blower car, why get that one? ...If you were going to do it anyway, then that's a different story.

Like MauiV, though with far fewer miles, my drives just like a stock V and is as reliable as you'd hope for. The number of diffs it's had would possibly say a lot about the car. If it's had eight diffs, you might want to shy away. I've had three, all before the maggie, and mine is a cream puff, so anything under two or three would be about par, IMHO.

At 30k miles and if it looks like it's been taken care of, you're probably okay. It won't command much of a premium price, however. :(

Baltimore07V
07-08-10, 05:30 PM
"Remember you don't mod not to drive it like you mean it."

I beg to differ.

Some people just like to tinker (like me).

There is nothing wrong with building a neatly modified high performance car and not beating the crap out of it.

Some people buy one already made and don't beat on it.

Those types of cars built like owners like me may be few and far between, but don't make assumptions.

Agreed, there are exceptions to every rule. My point was to approach with caution, as it seems others have echo'd here. It might be a garage queen, carefully cared for each day of its life. Or it might be a track star.

But more importantly is if its a dump job from a poorly modded vehicle. Thats the scary one.

"But a well modded car, that you know the history of can be a fun purchase that lasts you many many years."

My advice, be careful, and be thorough. You might have a great deal on your hands, or a real turd.

MIAdragon
07-08-10, 05:42 PM
What are they asking for the 04? I just picked up a CLEAN 05 with 40K with a maggie and a corsa exhaust for 23K.

rand49er
07-08-10, 08:00 PM
... I just picked up a CLEAN 05 with 40K with a maggie and a corsa exhaust for 23K.Sounds like a "great deal." Don't think I'd let mine go for $23k, but I might be dreamin', too.

04vman
07-08-10, 08:52 PM
What are they asking for the 04? I just picked up a CLEAN 05 with 40K with a maggie and a corsa exhaust for 23K.

That's a great deal! If it was was well kept, which it sounds like it was if there's only 40 on it. If you dont take the car tell me where to contact the guy. One of my close friends is looking at getting a V with a blower and decent mileage. This meets his criteria:yup:

Cooly0
07-08-10, 10:47 PM
I've walked into this with the same thoughts as Baltimore07V. I'm looking for how many or if it's original diff. If it's original, I think it's a deal killer to me. I am proceeding with caution, as it's true some of us may tinker. But which option would you put a $3-5,000 bet on?

It's a dealership, that I have a relationship with. I have a Ferrari for sale, I'm just "exploring" trading options with them. I am valuing it at 19k in my opinion, just from doing a "quick" walk around by myself, maybe 20. Appears clean in many aspects. Asking is out of anyone's consideration. I have an amount I'm expecting to get back after the deal, so if I don't see that from them I'm passing. They do have a history on not budging a millimeter, from an friend who was attempting to purchase another car.

So 520 is high, can this be easily tuned down? I am no working knowledge of superchargers, just the concept.

It's good to hear at least there's a higher mileage one out there, to inspire some confidence.

kjr6306
07-08-10, 11:05 PM
I picked up my Maggied 2004 V in April. It has 66K on it and I could not be happier with the purchase. I have not had any issues with the car and most can't even tell it has a s/c til I stomp on the gas. From what I can tell the rear end is original and in good shape. Buy the 04 with the s/c, you will not be disappointed!!!!

Baltimore07V
07-09-10, 01:09 AM
I've walked into this with the same thoughts as Baltimore07V. I'm looking for how many or if it's original diff. If it's original, I think it's a deal killer to me. I am proceeding with caution, as it's true some of us may tinker. But which option would you put a $3-5,000 bet on?

It's a dealership, that I have a relationship with. I have a Ferrari for sale, I'm just "exploring" trading options with them. I am valuing it at 19k in my opinion, just from doing a "quick" walk around by myself, maybe 20. Appears clean in many aspects. Asking is out of anyone's consideration. I have an amount I'm expecting to get back after the deal, so if I don't see that from them I'm passing. They do have a history on not budging a millimeter, from an friend who was attempting to purchase another car.

So 520 is high, can this be easily tuned down? I am no working knowledge of superchargers, just the concept.

It's good to hear at least there's a higher mileage one out there, to inspire some confidence.

520hp at the crank = about 440 at the wheels, which is average for a maggie + tune. If its 520hp at the wheels, you got a lot more going on their then just a maggie. Your looking at maggie + cam. probably has headers, pulley, OD pulley, maybe more. So find out if that thats at the crank or at the wheels.

If its a dealership, which will give you a 30 day guarentee, so you can flush out any major issues right away. Or one you have a good relationship with, and trust, then I think you have a good deal on your hands. That and a history of the car.

However, just be prepared to drop the required mods into it once you get it. Motor mounts/shifter/axles/trans mounts/diff bushing/spectre works bushings on an 04/05. With a maggie those are all pretty much required. But it will put a smile on your face, guarenteed.

CTSV_510
07-09-10, 08:55 AM
I would not be concerned with reliability of a maggied V. I have 20k miles on mine and the only thing I would have done differently is that I would have gotten the maggie sooner. ;)

Cooly0
07-09-10, 10:04 AM
Hmm, So I'm guessing we're looking at $4,000 just to keep the diff from blowing up with the axles, and mounts and such? I see a post about the axles at $1600. And then we include having a shop doing some of the mounts, and shifter?

rand49er
07-09-10, 11:36 AM
If you're going to want to accelerate from a stop fast (i.e. spin the rears) on an occasional basis, you're going to want the axles to severely limit WH. The other stuff (i.e. MMs, bushings, etc), IMHO, is nice to have but not necessarily mandatory. I'd do that stuff on an as-needed basis.

That's just my $0.02, mind you. :D

Twitch
07-09-10, 11:41 AM
Hmm, So I'm guessing we're looking at $4,000 just to keep the diff from blowing up with the axles, and mounts and such? I see a post about the axles at $1600. And then we include having a shop doing some of the mounts, and shifter?
You can spend $4000 and the diff might blow. Or you can spend nothing, and the diff might not blow. I have 38K miles on my car. 10K miles with Maggie, and still on my original diff. All I have is the specter bushings.
It's all about how you drive the car. I've done a few burnouts, a few road course events and drive my car spiritedly. But I do not beat on it.
To say something "is a must" depends on someones opinion and the condition of there car.
FYI you can get an axle for a few hundred dollars.

Tony

MauiV
07-09-10, 12:46 PM
"Motor mounts/shifter/axles/trans mounts/diff bushing/spectre works bushings"

I have NONE of those things, 107,XXX miles, original diff (knock on wood) but I also dont beat on my car. At the slightest notion of wheel hop I am off the throttle, I do make leg stretching runs in 3rd 4th and 5th gears but IMO 1st and 2nd gear stomps is just asking for trouble. If you drive it like the idiot in the video that bought a board members car you will destroy any high horsepower car eventually. Common sense goes a long way with these machines. Dont stomp it on wet pavement. Dont do 5k clutch dumps. Dont try a burnout with the traction control on. I know guys with 700hp Terminator Cobras that break output shafts and 8.8" rear ends like they are made out of play dough. Power will eventually find the weakest link in any drivetrain.

Baltimore07V
07-09-10, 05:33 PM

Clutch kit = $650-800
GForce axles = $550 if you do both sides
MM package = $400
Shifter= $175-$300 (Do PISNUOFF's shifter, its cheaper and has great reviews)

So right there we are at $2400 (with shipping) max, and maybe $1000 in labor if you have a shop do it all at the same time?

And the purpose of all these mods is not just for protecting the diff (Though they help), its also about the feel of the car. Read the MM threads, shifter threads. These mods wake the car up. Having done these and driven the car for several months before and after, I would do these mods over again twice. And thats at stock power.

However, MauiV has a point. If your an idiot with any high output sedan, you will break it. With or without axles. And if you drive carefully, you will protect it for a long time.