: Mt6 shifter problems

uncletoad
07-07-10, 08:54 PM
Anynone having issues with 4-5 spirited Shifts?
Car was at dealer, and they dug in after the tech missed a shift with me in the car. He could drive, and thought there might be an issue.
After inspection all seemed OK..
Here is the issue, the gate is a bit nebulous, so to avoid going from 4-3 i push hard ad run into reverse lock out and don't find 5th thereby missing the shift.
Don't push enough and you end up in 3 at 5500 rpm, which is what the tech did.
I have driven nothing but manuals my whole life and have never missed a shift until now
I could not find anything on this forum or the ZR1 group, so I thought I would ask.
Thanks

JFJr
07-07-10, 09:09 PM
The 6060 likes a light touch. Your tech was simply too firm with the grip; as simple as that.

Jud

Razorecko
07-07-10, 09:27 PM
yea i know what you're talking about. If you try slamming it than it'll do that. There is def some lag to the 5th from 4th that could benefit from a short shifter

Club Malibu
07-07-10, 09:58 PM
I have same issue. I personally do not think it's a mechanical failure; I think it's just a geometry issue. I can't(don't) go for a fast 4-5 shift. I actually take my hand off the shifter knob, roll my hand from right to left (like in a motion to pour a glass of water onto the floor) and then push the shifter all the way to the right and then up. So.... with enough practice.......

uncletoad
07-07-10, 10:07 PM
yea i know what you're talking about. If you try slamming it than it'll do that. There is def some lag to the 5th from 4th that could benefit from a short shifter

Or reverse should be in a push down gate or well left of 1st. I am glad I am not alone. I proanate my wrist in the direction of travel and try to be fast but not powerful. I am thinking the shifter is sloppy.
Thanks for the comment. I would love to hear from more of you rowers out ther

uncletoad
07-07-10, 10:11 PM
I have same issue. I personally do not think it's a mechanical failure; I think it's just a geometry issue. I can't(don't) go for a fast 4-5 shift. I actually take my hand off the shifter knob, roll my hand from right to left (like in a motion to pour a glass of water onto the floor) and then push the shifter all the way to the right and then up. So.... with enough practice.......

We posted at the same time! I do the same with my wrist. What is odd to me is my experience is recent- never an issue in the 1st 20K

Club Malibu
07-08-10, 12:58 AM
- never an issue in the 1st 20K

Weird.... I only have 2200 miles on the clock and its always been this way.

So....... maybe it is with the linkage/cable.....

I don't have the Helm yet, but I helped my friend do a HURST shifter in his 2007 Cobalt SS Turbo. For his car, I had to adjust the cables until the shifter could go into all the gears easy. The adjustment was just those snappy hooky zip-tie mechanism thingys. It took a lot of trial and error to get it right. What I did notice is when I got a gear perfect, it messed up another gear. I actually had to compromise so all gears were "good" and not "great".

So maybe...... our shifters need an adjustment?????? Or are they at their best already because of that compromise issue I had on a totally different car.

Who's got the HELM??????? There should be a section that "if customer complains, see section ......" Or at least in the removal/install part.

CopperSunburstCTS
07-08-10, 01:28 AM
This 4-5 shift is what i metioned in the recent/current thread "Clutch pedal way too stiff" . I played with the clutch and shift on a ZR-1 in the showroom becasue i was considering the Manual in a new Coupe-V (and the ZR1 was the closest thing to it in my area at the time) and while i found the clutch to be good, I found the 4-5 shift very notchy, and had to do what other posters have said, to make an effort to shift it right then up. I can't see doing this shift very fast, but at the very least, it seems uncomfortable. Then i got a chance to sit in a recently produced CTS-V and the clutch wasn't as smooth and linear as teh Vette HOWEVER the 4-5 was NOT notchy in this V as it was in the Vette. Now after reading this thread I'm not sure what to think.:bonkers: Maybe there are noticeable manufacturing differences from car to car, I know Vette people have noticed SIGNIFICANTLY diffferent feeling clutches that vary even from the same year Vette, so maybe there are differnces in the shift gate adjustment or whatever is casuing this notchy behaviour? Idk, just a thought. My other thought is the 2010 CTS-V I sat in and did NOT feel the notchy behaviour was a VERY recently produced model, so maybe there were improvements.

Z06ified
07-08-10, 11:41 AM
That doesn't sound right to me. The shifter on mine is damned near perfect, and I never had an issue finding a gate or a gear. The shifter is smooth and easy for all gears. It's so much better than my '02 Z06's Hurst shifter, it's like night and day.

Any chance you can compare it to another manual V? I know there aren't many around, but I think it's your only way to know for sure.

uncletoad
07-08-10, 08:57 PM
Good idea to compare.
Any cars in the Atlanta area?
I would be happy to visit you and buy lunch for a comparison!

Razorecko
07-08-10, 09:13 PM
actually mine probally does it like 15-20% of the time. Its not consistently happening. I'll def say that cooler weather makes it rear its head more.

uncletoad
07-08-10, 10:02 PM
Issue is not weather dependent with my car

roarkb
07-08-10, 10:28 PM
Don't see a problem with my shifter. However in looking at this.... it appears the 4-5 shift would be at about 120+MPH.... How often is that a problem?

JFJr
07-09-10, 08:36 AM
The shifter is so smooth and the gates so closely spaced in the first 4 gears that it's easy to miss a shift if you have too firm a grip or try to muscle the shifter. Sometimes I will find 5th instead of 3rd, going from 2nd, if I'm pulling lateral g's. It's best to use the Zen approach with proper hand position for each gear change.

Jud

Umrswimr
07-09-10, 10:17 AM
Anynone having issues with 4-5 spirited Shifts?
Car was at dealer, and they dug in after the tech missed a shift with me in the car. He could drive, and thought there might be an issue.
After inspection all seemed OK..
Here is the issue, the gate is a bit nebulous, so to avoid going from 4-3 i push hard ad run into reverse lock out and don't find 5th thereby missing the shift.
Don't push enough and you end up in 3 at 5500 rpm, which is what the tech did.
I have driven nothing but manuals my whole life and have never missed a shift until now
I could not find anything on this forum or the ZR1 group, so I thought I would ask.
Thanks
You've never missed a shift. Ever? Come on- we're all friends here. No point in lying to your buddies.

As for a "spirited" 4-5 shift. I cannot think of a single situation (other than an illegal street race or the Texas Mile) where you would need to make a "spirited" 4-5 shift. That's what- 140 MPH?

uncletoad
07-10-10, 09:24 PM
Umrswimr,
The only car I can remember missing a shift in is this one. Maybe it is more accurate to say I did not miss a shift, but did nit complete the shift. My tech did miss and go into third from fourth meaning to go to 5. I did this once and is when this all started.
I have concluded that two conditions are in play:
1. 4-5 I am hitting reverse lock because i am pushing too hard. And I do this regardless of speed - happens at 70 also. I am doing this to avoid the 4-3.
2 The gates are very close in the shifter and a bit sloppy, so when I am really getting on the car I am moving around in the seat more than I know changing my reference, so the 4-3 instead of 4-5. I mentioned my tech did the same and was quite surprised.
My last car was a 4.2 Audi S4, and the two are not comparable. So I need to really pay attention and try to unlearn 100K miles of muscle memory.

I still think the V needs some shifter work.. Which won't happen because GM does not sell enough manuals.

Umrswimr
07-12-10, 09:57 AM
Umrswimr,
The only car I can remember missing a shift in is this one. Maybe it is more accurate to say I did not miss a shift, but did nit complete the shift. My tech did miss and go into third from fourth meaning to go to 5. I did this once and is when this all started.
1. 4-5 I am hitting reverse lock because i am pushing too hard. And I do this regardless of speed - happens at 70 also. I am doing this to avoid the 4-3.
2 The gates are very close in the shifter and a bit sloppy, so when I am really getting on the car I am moving around in the seat more than I know changing my reference, so the 4-3 instead of 4-5. I mentioned my tech did the same and was quite surprised.
My last car was a 4.2 Audi S4, and the two are not comparable. So I need to really pay attention and try to unlearn 100K miles of muscle memory.

I still think the V needs some shifter work.. Which won't happen because GM does not sell enough manuals.
I agree that the shifter is vague. It has a fair amount of slop in it and the gates are not neary as defines as I would prefer. However, I've not missed a shift in this car yet, so I can't really complain too much.

Razorecko
07-12-10, 10:53 AM
Umrswimr,

Well KPE was supposed to come out with a short shifter kit. If the quality is like their cai than it should be great. BUUUUT, thats whenever it is released, as you said the manual owner V's are a minority