: Power Steering Sh!ts the Bed!

dkozloski
07-07-10, 07:10 PM
It's the same old story that everybody else has to tell on the subject. All of a sudden, at an idle or parking lot speeds it takes muscle to steer my '06 STS AWD after it warms up. My wife almost wrecked in the supermarket parking lot pulling into a space. I take the car to the dealer and they say they are going to flush and change the fluid and charge me $99 for it. I tell them they're crazy. The pump is bad and needs to be changed. Sure enough they call me later and say the flush didn't fix it but they don't have a new pump and it'll be next week before one comes in and they're still going to charge me $99 for the flush. No loner car, no rental car, I'm on my own. I'm lucky I still have my old Ford pickup to fall back on. The next nearest dealer is 362 miles away and they're even worse.

The local dealer, Lithia, got nailed by the state of Alaska with the biggest consumer fraud fine in the history of the state for charging illegal document preparation fees and selling used cars with salvage and damage histories without disclosing it to the buyers. The fine and restitution was well over a million dollars.

Why am I not surprised that they want to screw me?

MacMuse
07-08-10, 03:43 PM
Don't feel too bad - I got 4 dealerships within 10 miles, and I'm sure they are all out to get me too.

On a personal note, I accidently dragged my mouse across the F. R**ge*r text in your bio and was "rewarded" with a pop-over video that instantly started playing. Thanks Kontera (NOT). ahh, a new level of annoyance from on-line advertisers.

CadillacSTS42005
07-08-10, 05:22 PM
Thats the shaft Koz esp since you told them what to do and they didnt listen...

dkozloski
07-08-10, 06:13 PM
I figure that the pump failed and filled the system with trash. They'll replace the pump and in short order the rack will fail and take out the pump again. When a hydraulic system gets contaminated with ground up metal there is no flushing it out.

dkozloski
07-13-10, 11:58 AM
I have no idea what the story on my car is at this point. I can't get the service department at the dealership to answer my calls or return messages. I suppose I'll have to go down there and beard the lion in his den.

ChrisHall
07-13-10, 01:38 PM
My 2008 STS AWD V8 was doing the same thing on occasion. Not all the time. Then one day the message "Stability Secure Mode" showed up on DIC. Took car into dealer last Thursday and it's a module. They tell me it's 1 of 5 different one found in these cars that do different things. New module is on order. $800 just for module. Thank goodness for warranty.

Cheers,
Chris

MGD
07-14-10, 02:30 PM
I have a small power steering leak in my '05 V-6 RWD. Is that the start of the failure, or something else?

dkozloski
07-14-10, 05:09 PM
I have a small power steering leak in my '05 V-6 RWD. Is that the start of the failure, or something else?
Small leaks are little more than a nuisance. Grinding noises and lack of function are more certain trouble indicators.

dkozloski
07-15-10, 05:35 AM
The dealer has had the car for 10 days and they still haven't fixed it. No rental car, no loaner, nothing. The only way I could get the service department to even talk to me on the phone was to call the general manager. The service department puts me on ignore until I give up. They won't return messages. The excuse they gave me was about a parts order mixup. I'm not holding my breath on this one. I'm betting they replaced the pump and wiped it out again with debris in the system from the steering rack. At this point they aren't admitting to anything.

Onalaska
07-15-10, 07:07 AM
The STS is a great car until it breaks! I guess I could say the same about my XLR, it was in the shop for a month waiting on a power steering pulley. They did reimburse me for most of the cost of car rental though.

Lifer
07-15-10, 11:06 AM
I have no idea what the story on my car is at this point. I can't get the service department at the dealership to answer my calls or return messages. I suppose I'll have to go down there and beard the lion in his den.

Koz,
I have been reading this forum for five years now, which includes your messages all over the place, and not to be so negative - but I will be. I think part of your problem is attitude. You have a negative attitude which reflects here oh so well. Maybe if you were to lighten up a bit and smile more, the service department would feel you are someone who needs special attention, instead of special avoidance. :rant2:

dkozloski
07-15-10, 03:34 PM
Koz,
I have been reading this forum for five years now, which includes your messages all over the place, and not to be so negative - but I will be. I think part of your problem is attitude. You have a negative attitude which reflects here oh so well. Maybe if you were to lighten up a bit and smile more, the service department would feel you are someone who needs special attention, instead of special avoidance. :rant2:
I've tried that and the car sat there for over a month.

Unfortunately, it appears that it's the squeaking wheel that gets the grease. If you stand there like a sheep, they run right over you.

SlickCityStan
07-15-10, 04:03 PM
I have a small power steering leak in my '05 V-6 RWD. Is that the start of the failure, or something else?small leaks lead to grinding noises and lack of function: get it fixed! It is a sealed hydraulic system it is not designed to leak.

dkozloski
07-15-10, 06:25 PM
My wife has developed an effective communications strategy with the dealership. When they try to take a message for the callback that never happens my wife demands to talk to the manager. He can get the service department to answer the phone every time. It appears that after 10 days they have finally received a replacement PS pump and are going to change it some time this afternoon.

dkozloski
07-15-10, 10:37 PM
I finally got a call from the dealership. They changed the PS pump and it didn't fix it. They don't know what to do next so they're calling Cadillac in the morning. I'm starting to forget what the car even looks like.

M.A.C
07-15-10, 11:02 PM
I finally got a call from the dealership. They changed the PS pump and it didn't fix it. They don't know what to do next so they're calling Cadillac in the morning. I'm starting to forget what the car even looks like.
Please keep us informed. I have the same problem and I bought a new ACDelco power steering pump. I also see what looks to be a past leak at the larger power steering hose connected to the pump. Do I have to buy a new hose at Cadillac? I'm not sure it's the pump which isn't making any noise.

tlac
07-16-10, 08:17 AM
Steering u-joint problem??? Your Buick dealership should be able to do the job as well.

dkozloski
07-16-10, 07:27 PM
I got another call and the service manager thinks the replacement pump they got is no good. They're going to order another one but I'm betting it won't fix it. My money is on a new steering rack assembly.

MGD
07-19-10, 12:07 PM
small leaks lead to grinding noises and lack of function: get it fixed! It is a sealed hydraulic system it is not designed to leak.

Thank you. I was planning to, and will do so.:thumbsup:

KRSTS
07-19-10, 12:23 PM
Its a bad rack!:bighead:

M.A.C
07-19-10, 12:39 PM
Its a bad rack!:bighead:
Would you happen to know what happens to the rack that it needs to be replaced? Must the whole rack be replaced?

dkozloski
07-19-10, 04:15 PM
Another week passes by and the STS is still in the shop. The power steering still doesn't work. This is becoming tiresome.

jimmbo
07-19-10, 08:38 PM

I heard that happens, the loss of recent memory. But the memories of cars 30 -40 years ago are crystal clear.

dkozloski
07-21-10, 09:43 PM
The car is fixed. The real story is fairly interesting. The PS pump was bad. They went to replace it with a new one and buggered the shaft threads when they tried to install the old pulley on the new pump. After a weeks wait a second new pump went on okay and fixed the problem. Meanwhile they had tried to tell me that the first new pump didn't fix anything because it was bad but murder will out. They forgot about charging me for a PS system flush so it wound up costing me nothing but fifteen days without my car because some maladroit cross threaded the installation device when trying to install a pulley. All's well that ends well.

M.A.C
07-21-10, 11:43 PM
The car is fixed. The real story is fairly interesting. The PS pump was bad. They went to replace it with a new one and buggered the shaft threads when they tried to install the old pulley on the new pump. After a weeks wait a second new pump went on okay and fixed the problem. Meanwhile they had tried to tell me that the first new pump didn't fix anything because it was bad but murder will out. They forgot about charging me for a PS system flush so it wound up costing me nothing but fifteen days without my car because some maladroit cross threaded the installation device when trying to install a pulley. All's well that ends well.
Thanks for the update. Now I have hope that when I replace the pump my hard turning problem will also be solved.