: Saw my first '11 Regal yesterday. Pics and stuff.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-10, 05:42 PM
So I get to my big client in Rochester yesterday, the big Buick/GMC store, and what do I (finally) see? A 2011 Regal, in real life, up close & in person.

I saw it before it got it's PDI inspection, so I wasn't able to drive it (yet), so I'll just give my overall impressions real quick.

-It's smaller than most Buicks in recent memory. It's probably the same length as a '90s Skylark, but looks more substantial due to it's design.
-It's a very handsome design, will age well. Looks great from rear 3/4 view. I think it's best asset on the exterior is the trunklid and tail lamp assy.
-Sizewise, it's very close to a TSX.
-Fit and finish is superb. Very narrow panel gaps, inside & out. FINALLY. The interior feels very German because of this, and the fact it's basically a black monotone, aside from various bits & pieces of metallic trim. The dashboard has a hint of VW to it, which is good considering how nice their interiors have been as of late.
-Vehicle has plenty of room inside, especially considering it's exterior size. Makes great use of space.
-Firm, but comfortable seats.
-Beautiful gauges. The tachometer reads x100, instead of the normal x1000. Again, something that VW does (did?) for a while.

I'm really impressed and I'm sure it'll do well against the TSX, S40, 9-3 and IS250.

Forgive the less-than-spectacular quality of the iPhone pics.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_3276.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_3274.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_3271.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_3272.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_3273.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_3275.jpg

Jesda
07-07-10, 05:46 PM
Saturn Aura's secret comeback.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-10, 05:49 PM
No! Actually they're built in Germany along side Opel. The technicians at the dealer were pretty disappointed when they saw on the window sticker that the final point of assembly was a town in Germany (I forget what one), as they all have flashbacks of the Catera nightmares.

Kick94sts
07-07-10, 06:03 PM
Hahahaahha

I love it!

Jesda
07-07-10, 06:21 PM
It really is what the 2012 Aura would have been. Its Epsilon II.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-10, 06:29 PM
Wait, so Epsilon was G6, Aura and Malibu, so this is technically the second generation of my dad's '10 Malibu?

ben.gators
07-07-10, 06:40 PM
No! Actually they're built in Germany along side Opel. The technicians at the dealer were pretty disappointed when they saw on the window sticker that the final point of assembly was a town in Germany (I forget what one), as they all have flashbacks of the Catera nightmares.

Huh, that is why I always have been complaining about the new Regal! I do not like this...

Just aside, Chad do you have any idea about the overlap between new Regal and new Laccrosse? For me it seems that they both are in the same class, "affordable luxury family sedan", the same price range (Lacrosse is a bit higher), the same type of potential costumers! Does the dealer have any concern about this fact that the success of one may result in the failure of the other? I mean is it possible that one of these cars have the same destination that hyundai genesis got after introduction of new gen Sonata?

RightTurn
07-07-10, 06:54 PM
Me likey. Thanks for posting, Chad. I was going to ask where it's built but I see that's been covered. Nice. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-10, 06:59 PM
Just aside, Chad do you have any idea about the overlap between new Regal and new Laccrosse? For me it seems that they both are in the same class, "affordable luxury family sedan", the same price range (Lacrosse is a bit higher), the same type of potential costumers!

Well from my understanding, the Regal is a little sportier, a little lighter, so therefore more lithe and light on it's feet. It's main competitor is the Acura TSX, a car of similar size, features and powertrain layout, but I do believe the Buick is a bit cheaper. The LaCrosse is a little bigger, with more room inside, and two different V6's, so it'll appeal to a more mature, luxury minded audience, it's biggest competitor is the Lexus ES350. But I suppose the Hyundai Azera is a lot like it too, and perhaps the V6 Genesis.

gary88
07-07-10, 07:48 PM
This I like, can't wait for the GS version to hit the streets.

GM has a pretty good chance to revolutionize Buick, I hope they don't drop the ball.

ga_etc
07-07-10, 08:17 PM
Actually they're built in Germany along side Opel.

There's a reason for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyYYKK_3KyU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxAKKQNjcuM

Look familiar? :shhh:

Aron9000
07-07-10, 09:39 PM
Keep in mind the big difference between the Regal and LaCrosse is under the hood. The Regal is a 4 cylinder only.

After looking at Buick's website, the Regal and Lacrosse both start at 26k. The Regal is 190", LaCrosse is 196", so its not that big of a size difference IMO. I agree that Buick is kind of competing with itself here. The $$$ spent on the Regal would've been better served to replace the old fuddy-duddy Lucerene.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-10, 10:44 PM
After looking at Buick's website, the Regal and Lacrosse both start at 26k. The Regal is 190", LaCrosse is 196", so its not that big of a size difference IMO. I agree that Buick is kind of competing with itself here. The $$$ spent on the Regal would've been better served to replace the old fuddy-duddy Lucerene.

I hope it doesn't get to be something like the Altima and the Maxima, where they're so close in size and features, it's almost pointless to have two.

orconn
07-07-10, 11:09 PM
From the pictures, it appears to have no rear seat headroom.

Florian
07-07-10, 11:17 PM
fugly.

F

Florian
07-07-10, 11:17 PM
dupe.........sorry.

F

Florian
07-07-10, 11:19 PM
fugly. BTW, Audi, circa 2000, called....they want their instrument cluster back.

F

Night Wolf
07-07-10, 11:21 PM
There's a reason for it.

YouTube- Opel Insignia OPC roadtest (english subtitled) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyYYKK_3KyU&feature=related)

YouTube- Top Gear - Vauxhall Insignia VXR / Opel Insignia OPC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxAKKQNjcuM)

Look familiar? :shhh:

Turbo V6, manual trans, AWD, built in Germany...

... Wonder what the GS version will keep the trend...

77CDV
07-07-10, 11:38 PM
Rooting for it to be a success, if only to please Chad. Not my cuppa, though.

Stingroo
07-07-10, 11:54 PM
Dunno, I'd drive one.

:hide:

drewsdeville
07-08-10, 12:00 AM
I like these. Nice to see the old Regal name properly revived.

ben.gators
07-08-10, 12:10 AM
Keep in mind the big difference between the Regal and LaCrosse is under the hood. The Regal is a 4 cylinder only.

The regal:
"the 2.4L Ecotec I4 rated at 182 hp. A turbocharged 2.0L Ecotec I4 rated at an estimated 220 hp"

Lacrosse:
"The 2.4L Ecotec four-cylinder is expected to replace the 3.0 V6 as the standard engine on the CX model in the first quarter of 2010" and CXL will still have 255HP V6.

As you see even they are going to have very similar engines, except for V6 engine that gives some extra HP.

I guess Buick is going to compete with itself.....

Jesda
07-08-10, 12:13 AM
The Regal and Century were similar too. Regal just needs to be the sportier model.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-08-10, 12:16 AM
I've seen both before, and the LaCrosse seems a lot bigger than the Regal does. The Lacrosse seems more similar in size to a Lesabre, and the Regal seems more like a Century in size.

Night Wolf
07-08-10, 12:38 AM
Buick's lineup has seemed overlaping and confusing to me for a while.

The Century was too basic and bland, basically a Malibu. Should leave that segment for Chevy.

The Regal was the midsize family/performance car, it was good.

But the Lesabre to me seemed to be a striped down Park Ave, similar size, similar car, but less features. What was the point?

Park Ave was also good as the full size luxury car.

I think a well-rounded Buick lineup would be a Regal, Park Ave and Riveria..... tho two name plates are now dead. Buick dosen't need to be making rebadged Chevy minivans. Maybe an upper end crossover type vehicle if there is a market.

ben.gators
07-08-10, 12:43 AM
The Regal and Century were similar too. Regal just needs to be the sportier model.

Yes, they both were W-Body, and they look like each other a lot. BUT "Century was lower-priced than the Regal, it was also the lower-powered and plainer of the two, offering only a 3.1 L V6" and "Century was Buick's entry-level car after 1998". The situation was very clear those days and well distinquished, if you are looking for a good-quality low-priced DD car, Century is the choice, but if you want high HP, sporty-look car pay more and get Regal.

So you say me Jesda, can we say the same about Lacrosee and Regal?

Jesda
07-08-10, 12:45 AM
Is Lacrosse going to be a lot cheaper than Regal or about the same?

ben.gators
07-08-10, 12:48 AM

No, the base models are starting from the same price, but full option Lacrosse (AWD, V6 285HP engine, rear camera...) should be expensive than full option Regal.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-08-10, 12:48 AM

The Regal runs $26,245-$31,030. The LaCrosse runs $26,245 (SERIOUSLY??? WTF??)- $33,015. Great, this is exactly what they needed. THANKS BUICK MARKETING!!! Let's NOT differentiate our models from a price point, that'll only clarify the differences between customers and make them sell even more!!

ben.gators
07-08-10, 12:59 AM
The Regal runs $26,245-$31,030. The LaCrosse runs $26,245 (SERIOUSLY??? WTF??)- $33,015. Great, this is exactly what they needed. THANKS BUICK MARKETING!!! Let's NOT differentiate our models from a price point, that'll only clarify the differences between customers and make them sell even more!!

If we want to focus just on the car features, I should classify Lacrosse "a bit" higher than Regal, to be honest I did not like the plain interior of Regal, I guess the car you took the pictures from is a base model, and much more important Lacrosse is Made in USA!
If Regal wants to be the sporty guy, it should be much better than this... To be honest I am unable to see who is who....

ben.gators
07-08-10, 01:05 AM

BTW Chad, I guess the full option Lacrosse should be expensive than this. Maybe something about 36K.