: Need help gutting parts of car to get powdercoat...

dowlatij
07-07-10, 05:01 PM
I have no idea how to remove my calipers correctly or where the cheapest place would b to have the tires removed, what to do??

SkullV
07-07-10, 05:07 PM
Most pep boys dismount tires for free.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-07-10, 05:17 PM
Pull your wheels off, disconnect the brake lines, and unbolted the two 19 mm bolts holding on the caliper.

dowlatij
07-07-10, 05:57 PM
What about bleeding and all that stuff??

deedubb
07-07-10, 06:24 PM
I'd say just let it drain all brake fluid, then take advantage of Lindsays SS brake line and brake fluid deal for just $125 or whatever it is.

Anyone know how involved it is to strip the calipers for powder coating?

rjoffe
07-07-10, 08:26 PM
I'd say just let it drain all brake fluid

Don't let it all drain! I understand it can be a major pain to get air out of the abs unit.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-07-10, 09:01 PM
Yeah, no need to let it all drain. Just stick the lines into the suspension upward, then when you put it all back together bleed everything really well until you have new fluid coming out. It'll take the same amount of fluid either way. I also would suggest the stainless lines. I have a Motive you could use but I'm 100 miles away from Denver.

dowlatij
07-08-10, 01:35 AM
Yeah I think im going to hold off on powdercoating calipers for now instead i ordered a short shifter and v2 knob instead haha I think i will do all that stuff at once later, ss lines, new pads, powdercoat, bleed, new fluid maybe before the NASA event.

EdmundGTP
07-08-10, 01:34 PM
I'd say just let it drain all brake fluid, then take advantage of Lindsays SS brake line and brake fluid deal for just $125 or whatever it is.

Anyone know how involved it is to strip the calipers for powder coating?

The proper way to do it would be to completely disassemble the calipers, removing all extraneous hardware and pulling the pistons. Plug all of the tapped holes and the piston bores with something, then media blast the outside surface of the caliper back to bare aluminum. Trying to prep them with anything less would be a painfully tedious process. Once that's done, you clean up the calipers with tack cloth or cheese cloth and acetone/alcohol to get rid of oils and dust/residue from stripping. Then you mask off the tapped holes and piston bores, and it's ready for powder.

The easiest way is to have whomever is doing the powder coating do all of that for you.

PISNUOFF
07-08-10, 01:45 PM
Pull your wheels off, disconnect the brake lines, and unbolted the two 19 mm bolts holding on the caliper.

18 mm bolts. :hide:

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-08-10, 02:43 PM
18 mm bolts. :hide:

Really? I could've sworn they were 19 as I just took mine off the other day. Well, use whichever works. Either way, it's easy. :p