: Anyone have "Stone-X" on the front of their black V??

LFTW8S
07-06-10, 07:57 PM
Just picked up my Blk V last weekend and purchased Stone-X for the entire front of the car. The wrap is half way up the hood, entire front bumper, mirrors, and in all of the door handels. Let me know your thoughts, good and bad, as I have not had it installed yet.

Thanks!

PhxTriode
07-06-10, 08:36 PM
Just picked up my Blk V last weekend and purchased Stone-X for the entire front of the car. The wrap is half way up the hood, entire front bumper, mirrors, and in all of the door handels. Let me know your thoughts, good and bad, as I have not had it installed yet.

Thanks!

I don't have the Stone X but I have the 3m and all I can say is if you even fart near it the bra will scruff and scratch. It also has a static charge to it so it is a dust magnet. Invest in a duster.

LFTW8S
07-06-10, 08:59 PM
I don't have the Stone X but I have the 3m and all I can say is if you even fart near it the bra will scruff and scratch. It also has a static charge to it so it is a dust magnet. Invest in a duster.

Wow. I asked about that and they said it had a lifetime guarantee against anything like that. The Stone-X is the 3M product. Did the dealer do the work? How does it look on the black paint?

cmann_97
07-06-10, 10:32 PM
I have the 3M product (8mil) and couldn't be happier. I have the front bumper, half way up the hood, headlights, mirrors, rocker panels, and top part of rear bumper. Best investment you will make. I can't speak to the marring and scuffing, never had an issue. Wax it right along with your paint. It comes with a clear coat as well.

PhxTriode
07-06-10, 11:13 PM
Wow. I asked about that and they said it had a lifetime guarantee against anything like that. The Stone-X is the 3M product. Did the dealer do the work? How does it look on the black paint?

Dealer was straight off the 3m website. I have the 8mil on the headlights and is doing well. The whole nose of the car is done up to the doors. The thinner material seems softer. When you first get it put on it will have a haze to it but goes away after it gets some sun and a few coats of wax.

It was trail and error finding the right wax and detailer to use that didn't leave swirls and blotchy spots on black. When it is right you can't tell it is on the car.

In the end it is better than a rock chip and a new pair job. Just be prepared for more upkeep than paint on a black car.

Domsz06
07-07-10, 10:39 AM
I had it on my audi and my z06. I wouldn't do the "half hood" if your gonna invest do the whole thing! As it gets older dust and dirt will build up on the line and then it looks really crappy, esp on a black car.

It does wonders. I can't decide if I wanna put it on my DD as over time with the product it will start to tear and peel from the rocks and then it looks like crap, and your warranty doesn't cover that.... Also to do the whole front of your car it's just under 3K and well you can't get it repainted for less then that.... Just food for thought.

Domsz06
07-07-10, 10:40 AM
also make sure you have someone that knows what they are doing! My installer in So Cal was the bomb and did amazing work. When I moved to TX, and had to get some of it redone due to an accident he SUCKED and it made it look like crap. The installer can make a good job or a terrible job, do your research.