: Full Spare tire kit for anyone interested in seeing. I made it work.

M5DriverNY
07-06-10, 11:44 AM
A concern was the lack of spare in the trunk and since I am on the road all day long I had to make something work.

I bought lots of parts from the Caddy dealer and made a full bolt on kit. I milled out the back of the wheel and made a proper spacer/adaptor to fit.

Check it out, well once again this forum sucks and I cant upload the photos. Why hasn't this feature been corrected?

Razorecko
07-06-10, 11:53 AM
upload photos through www.imageshack.us

M5DriverNY
07-06-10, 11:59 AM
http://img819.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img00017201006301612.jpg

http://img413.imageshack.us/i/img00018201006301613.jpg/

lets see if this works.

cbloveday
07-06-10, 12:00 PM
A concern was the lack of spare in the trunk and since I am on the road all day long I had to make something work.

I bought lots of parts from the Caddy dealer and made a full bolt on kit. I milled out the back of the wheel and made a proper spacer/adaptor to fit.

Check it out, well once again this forum sucks and I cant upload the photos. Why hasn't this feature been corrected?

Can you provide more detail, in terms of wheel used, tire and pics of milling? Also, I assume you are carrying around a jack as well.

Club Malibu
07-06-10, 12:00 PM
I am highly interested.

CIWS
07-06-10, 12:05 PM

That's because attachments here need to be in the correct resolution. Your native shots were too large. Try resizing the pics if you want to have them as attachment photos in the forum. Sorry but this one is operator error not a forum functionality problem.

4DR_ZR1
07-06-10, 12:44 PM
Can you provide more detail,
You are saying the wheel pictured, along with a jack, etc all fit in the existing wheel well?!

Need photos of that.

commander112
07-06-10, 01:15 PM
Looks like a great mod. Please let us in on the specifics.

M5DriverNY
07-06-10, 01:16 PM
Yes everything fits like a glove in the trunk.

I only have a few photos via my phone but I will take ones of the trunk showing how everything fits later today.

It was a bitch sourcing all these parts out because dealers part departments dont want to get annoyed ordering and helping out. I had ordered a number of wheels before I found this one.

I have the scissor jack, lug wrench, spacer, nuts, 1/2 breaker bar with socket for the spacer, OEM air compressor and mounting hardware out back. it looks factory.

its not a cheap option but for piece of mind its so worth it.

Cost me around $600 for ALL the parts if I am correct.

If there is enough interest I will try and work out something for bulk purchases for you guys. I will put the entire kit together and sell directly.

neuronbob
07-06-10, 01:20 PM
M5Driver, :worship: AWESOME. Great job. Very interested in how to do this as well.

sybersport
07-06-10, 01:32 PM
If there is enough interest I will try and work out something for bulk purchases for you guys. I will put the entire kit together and sell directly.

I'd buy one

M5DriverNY
07-06-10, 03:02 PM
Here you go guys looks and fits perfect.

Just to fill you in. When I first ventured to buy these parts I thought it would be easy but no. When a dealer looks up a part the B/W photos sometimes are not accurate. They faxed me photos and when the part came in i got screwed.

I have two wheels that are 6 lug the other 5 lug because the photos were misrepresented. I had to eat the cost because they were special order and i test fitted them which sucks. I have no clue as to where these other wheels go so I can sell on Ebay.

Photos shown below: I have the 1/2 breaker bar wrapped in plastic wrap so it don't make noise and scratch anything.

[URL="http://img28.imageshack.us/i/p1011178.jpg/"]http:

//img28.imageshack.us/i/p1011178.jpg/ (http://img341.imageshack.us/i/p1011177.jpg/)

sybersport
07-06-10, 03:11 PM
This is genius. Love it :)

neuronbob
07-06-10, 03:11 PM
It fits on the rear, too?

4DR_ZR1
07-06-10, 03:19 PM
I have two wheels that are 6 lug the other 5 lug because the photos were misrepresented. I had to eat the cost because they were special order and i test fitted them which sucks. I have no clue as to where these other wheels go so I can sell on Ebay.

The first generation CTS-V and SRX used 6 lug wheels.... but they weren't interchangeable between the 2 models.

The first gen V guys are always looking for a good deal on a replacement wheel.

cbloveday
07-06-10, 03:21 PM

Great question! Does it clear the rear caliper?

M5DriverNY
07-06-10, 04:05 PM
Yes it clears the rear that was the easy part the front was the issue.

Guys I called all my support vendors on this and I will need 5+ guys interested with deposits to get this going for anyone. its too costly otherwise and I am not making a dime off this.

It will take me 7-10 days to get all the parts and stuff made etc before shipping.

Think about this, Onstar is great but when your stuck having this spare will be a lifesaver.

CTSVeee
07-06-10, 04:09 PM
Yes it clears the rear that was the easy part the front was the issue.

Guys I called all my support vendors on this and I will need 5+ guys interested with deposits to get this going for anyone. its too costly otherwise and I am not making a dime off this.

It will take me 7-10 days to get all the parts and stuff made etc before shipping.

Think about this, Onstar is great but when your stuck having this spare will be a lifesaver.
How much of deposit are you talking about?

Wouldn't it be easier for you to provide a list of parts that we can order (wheel, jack, etc) while the board members give you a few dollars for the required milled part?

Also, regarding this milled part, what exactly does it do?

thebigjimsho
07-07-10, 12:45 AM
http://desertlamp.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/stay_classy.gif

sikohsix
07-07-10, 02:35 AM
word 'em up. If U in the hardcore NY, then I gotta get at U based on this.

MReiland
07-07-10, 06:59 AM
Very Cool work M5Driver :highfive:

thebigjimsho
07-07-10, 08:37 AM
word 'em up. If U in the hardcore NY, then I gotta get at U based on this.
Ummm...what?

Ross Racing
07-07-10, 06:03 PM
I might buy one.

First I need details on the wheel/tire brands & sizes. Did it require and cutting or drilling?

rdonato
07-07-10, 07:24 PM
Anyone know if the BMW M3 bolt pattern is the same as the CTS-V? Below is a spare tire kit for $290 for a 19" rim. I think an M3 has some big brakes too but not as big as the V.

http://www.leatherz.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=01&Product_Code=SpaceSaverSpare&Category_Code=E46

found this too for the C6 but pricey!

http://vettespare.com/

Low_ET
07-07-10, 08:44 PM
Anyone know if the BMW M3 bolt pattern is the same as the CTS-V? Below is a spare tire kit for $290 for a 19" rim. I think an M3 has some big brakes too but not as big as the V.

http://www.leatherz.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=01&Product_Code=SpaceSaverSpare&Category_Code=E46

found this too for the C6 but pricey!

http://vettespare.com/

The BMW M3 spare kit says it is a 17" wheel with a 125-80-17 tire. That is too small.

Vette Spare.com uses a narrowed Corvette 18" wheel and a Hoosier front runner tire. It might fit our cars but it would be an expensive experiment. I contacted the guy who runs Vette Spare. He would gladly narrow a CTS-V wheel to use for a spare. The problem is finding a narrow 19" tire.

The only car with a 19" compact spare I have been able to find is a Land Rover (and most of those come with full-size spares). Land Rover uses our 5x120 mm bolt circle. I found the wheel but no tire.
http://www.originalwheels.com/landrover-wheels/landrover2008rims.php

Club Malibu
07-07-10, 09:07 PM
I will need 5+ guys interested with deposits to get this going for anyone.

I am highly, highly interested in purchasing this. What size is the tire?? Is the wheel 9.0" wide or 9.5" wide or other.

Is the outer diameter is the same as our stock outer diameters.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Low_ET
07-08-10, 07:29 PM
I am interested in a spare tire for my CTS-V. I have a friend with a CTS-V (who is not on the forum) who wants a spare also.

IBNR
07-08-10, 08:04 PM
I'm very interested in this. How much of a deposit? Will you (or one of your vendors) do the milling work you mentioned on the spare wheel? I have no tools or skills for anything like that myself.... Thanks for sharing this, it's really a great solution!

MReiland
07-08-10, 08:39 PM
Very nice.... I would buy one too

Some GM designer is prob. thinking why didnt i do this

Hmmm, Why didn't I do this? j/k I did send this link to the brass though and they liked it.

cbloveday
07-08-10, 09:00 PM
The brass should seriously consider designing an OEM spare kit solution and offering it as an after-market accessory. If it was available, it would be in my garage right now!

IBNR
07-08-10, 09:29 PM
^^^^

Yep, me too.

Any concerns about change to the fore/aft weight distribution with something like this?

Mikevette
07-08-10, 10:12 PM
I would be interested in a spare tire and mounting hardware. I already have the pump, jack and sockets from my previouse Vette's (Zo6's)

Mike

M5DriverNY
07-08-10, 10:29 PM
The kit will be posted on Ebay through my friends shop who does all my work. Should be posted by Monday so keep an eye out.

If 4 or more guys really want this send me a PM and I will set this up I dont have time to follow the board and deal with this myself I will let them handle it all.

Glad lots of you guys like it.

neuronbob
07-08-10, 11:04 PM
The brass should seriously consider designing an OEM spare kit solution and offering it as an after-market accessory. If it was available, it would be in my garage right now!

100% agree. The GM brass should have offered this in the first place, at minimum, as an option. Their attitude that people don't need a spare tire is completely, totally, WRONG. I don't know what focus group they talked to when developing our V, but it must not have included enough real-world users in markets with awful roads like Cleveland, Chicago, and New York. Heck, I visit Detroit all the time and the roads are as bad or worse than in Cleveland! You'd a thunk that a spare tire was still useful there at least.

(Sorry for the slight upset, I'm still crying over Cleveland's loss of LeBron.)

Club Malibu
07-09-10, 12:08 AM
Hmmm, Why didn't I do this? j/k I did send this link to the brass though and they liked it.

The brass should give M5DRIVERNY a lifetime supply of tires for the V and his Camaro!

Again M5DRIVERNY, thank you very much!!!!!!

thebigjimsho
07-09-10, 12:48 AM
I don't think so...

vett1002
07-09-10, 08:16 AM
im definately interested in this

CTSVeee
07-09-10, 03:56 PM
The kit will be posted on Ebay through my friends shop who does all my work. Should be posted by Monday so keep an eye out.

If 4 or more guys really want this send me a PM and I will set this up I dont have time to follow the board and deal with this myself I will let them handle it all.

Glad lots of you guys like it.
What does this kit include? Is it all the parts or just the parts that you have to mill?

May I suggest you just sell the milled part and let us round up the rest of the parts on our own using the list that you provide.

How much do you want for the kit? How much for just the part you have to mill?

Thanks,
Ryan

cbloveday
07-09-10, 07:56 PM
What does this kit include? Is it all the parts or just the parts that you have to mill?

May I suggest you just sell the milled part and let us round up the rest of the parts on our own using the list that you provide.

How much do you want for the kit? How much for just the part you have to mill?

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan,

One word, R&D cost. :)

Frankly, I would prefer NOT to scramble around looking for parts.

I would like to go to 1 place, make 1 decision, pay one invoice.

IBNR
07-10-10, 03:17 AM
Agree with Curtis entirely. M5, please post a link to the eBay listing when it's up. Thanks!

HEDP-V
07-10-10, 12:01 PM
M5, I will buy the tire kit in a heart beat as soon as its available. I totally agree with CBLOVEDAY and ANONFRANk on GM having a spare tire option. All the roads and infrastructure in the U.S are in need of repair, and having a spare tire in the trunk of your V is a valuable asset to have. Especially when you have to go to work on time and can not wait for roadside assistance to show up 2 hours later, and your boss is a jerk who doesn't like you because you have a CTS-V and he doesn't. M5DRIVERNY, please advise us on price,S&H and also if there is a way to pick up directly if you live in the NY/NJ/PA/CONN area. THANX for posting this thread and taking the time for researching and developing the kit. OUTSTANDING INITIATIVE! JOB WELL DONE!

chopmeat
07-10-10, 11:18 PM
That is GREAT!!!!
M5DriverNY, what is the name it will be under on Ebay???
Please let us know because I definitely want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mik2718
07-13-10, 07:59 AM

Any news? I did not find anything on ebay this morning.

M5DriverNY
07-13-10, 08:08 PM
Guys well today the SPARE was a total lifesaver and I got to use it. I recently came back from vacation and noticed on the 5 hour drive home the TPMS of one wheel showing 3 PSI low I assumed it was odd so I tighten the valve stem and the needle in the valve when I arrived home last Tuesday.

Few days passed and everything seems ok. Well today I was with one of my guys from work and we are heading up north about 78 miles. I noticed the car was starting to drift badly to the right after an hour into the drive. I didn't get any vibrations or TPMS warnings at all then Wham the right rear tire just gave out. I was fortunate to have a decent shoulder and help and in 10 minutes flat we were on the way. I had a local service station take a look before the ride home. New tire on order. There was a long nail on the inside of the edge of the shoulder block near the sidewall. The service shop said the tire heated up and caused the sidewall to give way or something

saved my day today with a very important business meeting we could have missed.

Also the guys who will be listing the kit on Ebay said they will get it on by Friday they were just slammed with work and the kid who does the listings has been out sick. hang tight guys. So far this is the 3rd tire nail incident on my CTSV since delivery which is getting annoying. I never had such issues on any other car before. Anyone else have tire issues in the Tri State?

sikohsix
07-13-10, 09:49 PM
Hell yes. Had to replace both fronts because of bubbles. Potholes are unavoidable here. Looking forward to this spare tire kit.

commander112
07-14-10, 07:01 AM
Hey M5, great sales tactic using fear and all to sell you spare kit! Just kidding. These cars needed a spare anyway. The roads in Detroit are about the worst anywhere and so far I have had no tire issues.

CTSVeee
07-14-10, 07:57 AM
M5driverNY, a few questions...

How much for the full kit?

Can I buy the milled part separately? If so, how much for that part?

Thanks,
Ryan

*I asked this previously but did not receive an answer from M5driverNY.

snzuloz
07-14-10, 08:38 AM
Is that spare tire the one for the regular cts? looks exactly like what was equipped with my 2009 cts, the milled part you mentioned, does it happen to be the rim?

Club Malibu
07-14-10, 12:15 PM
So far this is the 3rd tire nail incident on my CTSV since delivery which is getting annoying. I never had such issues on any other car before. Anyone else have tire issues in the Tri State?

I live in South Jersey and work in Philly. So many times over the years I have gone out to my car (not the V) to go home from work and my tire is low and it's a nail or a screw. Or driving on Philly roads, it's just your average 1/4" dia, 12" long steel rod! (one time)

At one time, three of my tires on my Chevy had 1 plug in there and the other tire had two!

I'm guessing, but I blame it on pick-up trucks on contractors who just throw any old thing in the bed of their trucks and never cover anything and never clean out their beds and these big, brand new (still shiny) nails and screws are in my tires.

So when I get a flat, my method is to position car so nail/screw/rod is near the bottom side, jack the car to slightly above correct ride height, and then I use them cheap plugs. And I have a tire pump in the car too. So I never have to take the tire off and it's fixed in 15 minutes. (Yes, I know the controversy about these plugs.)

But my above method is all fine and dandy, until I get a sidewall hole; and that's where your World's First and Finest "The Original!" CTS-V Spare Tire Kit comes in.

IBNR
07-19-10, 02:05 AM
Any news on this? Still not seeing anything on eBay....

Ross Racing
07-19-10, 11:22 AM
I am also waiting for the listing

HEDP-V
07-19-10, 12:39 PM
Haven't seen the listing on ebay yet, gotta have that kit.

Ross Racing
07-19-10, 12:47 PM
Maybe one of the vendors should step up and take some business.

CTSVeee
07-21-10, 01:57 PM
Any update on this?

dvandentop
07-21-10, 03:18 PM
is that a gto spare tire?

HEDP-V
07-22-10, 01:56 AM
I just bought a new front rim and tire to use as a temporary spare,if this thread was written a month ago,I would have held off in spending so much money. The tire is too big to fit in the trunk space and I really want that spare tire kit to make room in the trunk for other things.

CTSVeee
07-28-10, 04:39 PM
Any update on this?

neuronbob
07-28-10, 05:04 PM
While I would love an update on this aftermarket product, I would like better for GM to come up with an official solution for us.

C'mon GM/Cadillac! Pretty please? We know you listen to us. :D

I am willing to PAY for a spare tire that fits.....

IBNR
07-28-10, 07:04 PM
^^^

+1, as evidenced by the fact that I'm willing to PAY for a kludged aftermarket solution now, and would quite likely STILL be willing to PAY for an official factory kit if/when it becomes available. Getting stranded somewhere with a flat that is not inflator-repair fixable is no bueno.

thatcoder
07-28-10, 09:20 PM
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=246032

CTSVeee
07-29-10, 07:39 AM
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=246032
Nice find. Now all we need to know is which wheel can clear the front rotor.

It's a bit more work, but I don't mind swapping the rear tire to the front and putting the spare on the back. Just as long as I'm able to limp home!

mik2718
07-29-10, 08:55 AM
Is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-2011-CADILLAC-CTSV-SPARE-TIRE-KIT-COMPLETE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3caf80f705QQitemZ26064 2502405QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

CTSVeee
07-29-10, 09:11 AM
Is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-2011-CADILLAC-CTSV-SPARE-TIRE-KIT-COMPLETE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3caf80f705QQitemZ26064 2502405QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries
Nice find!!! That's it!!!

$720 including shipping is a bit steeper than I expected.

snzuloz
07-29-10, 10:39 AM
That rim looks like my spare from my 2009 cts, never did pay attenion what size the rim was, anyone know if that's what this is?

HEDP-V
07-29-10, 11:04 AM
It sure is steep, but having peace of mind is far more priceless than having to worry about what time roadside assistance will arrive. And where the nearest tire shop that has the right size tire is. IMHO it is better to pay for the spare tire now then have headaches, aggrevation and wasted time later.

Ross Racing
07-29-10, 11:24 AM
From the description it is unclear to me whether the tire is mounted on the wheel. It's got to be.

So who is going to buy one?

I wish it was a $100 cheaper!

CTSVeee
07-29-10, 11:46 AM
HEDP-V - Obviously I agree with the merits of having a spare tire. It's the asking price that I disagree with.

I'd be fine with just buying the appropriate sized wheel and the G8 tire emergency kit (link posted above). I figure that will run me about $400 maximum.

I'm not sure I can justify the other $320.

sybersport
07-29-10, 12:03 PM
The auction basically says that if we organize a group purchase, that the price would come down... by how much, who knows?

But I'm down if there are others who want to organize a group buy.

cdog533
07-29-10, 12:37 PM
So what is the secret to the EBay kit? Is that a custom-made wheel?

sybersport
07-29-10, 01:14 PM
I do not believe the wheel is custom made, but I do believe that they machine the hub (and possible the interior of the wheel surface?) to ensure it can fit on and around the rotors.

neuronbob
07-29-10, 01:48 PM
Wow. Welcome to America, where profit is king. :)

I'd participate in a group buy if there were details.

And I hope GM eventually comes up with an official solution for us.

Ross Racing
07-29-10, 03:08 PM
I will also participate in a group buy.

GMX322V S/C
07-29-10, 10:36 PM
Guys well today the SPARE was a total lifesaver and I got to use it. I recently came back from vacation and noticed on the 5 hour drive home the TPMS of one wheel showing 3 PSI low I assumed it was odd so I tighten the valve stem and the needle in the valve when I arrived home last Tuesday.

Few days passed and everything seems ok. Well today I was with one of my guys from work and we are heading up north about 78 miles. I noticed the car was starting to drift badly to the right after an hour into the drive. I didn't get any vibrations or TPMS warnings at all then Wham the right rear tire just gave out. I was fortunate to have a decent shoulder and help and in 10 minutes flat we were on the way. I had a local service station take a look before the ride home. New tire on order. There was a long nail on the inside of the edge of the shoulder block near the sidewall. The service shop said the tire heated up and caused the sidewall to give way or something

saved my day today with a very important business meeting we could have missed.

Also the guys who will be listing the kit on Ebay said they will get it on by Friday they were just slammed with work and the kid who does the listings has been out sick. hang tight guys. So far this is the 3rd tire nail incident on my CTSV since delivery which is getting annoying. I never had such issues on any other car before. Anyone else have tire issues in the Tri State?The tire appears smaller in diameter than the stockers--any problems with traction control kicking in or complaining? Should probably take it easy when it's on the rear to keep the LSD from overheating...

Johnsteph10
07-29-10, 10:39 PM
I'm in for a group buy, too, but it sure better be cheaper than the ebay price. Ouch.

IBNR
07-29-10, 11:39 PM
I'd be in for a group buy.

Club Malibu
07-29-10, 11:58 PM
I'm in for the group buy.

commander112
07-30-10, 06:03 AM
Like to know the GB cost. On the fence.

neuronbob
07-30-10, 07:19 AM
I emailed the vendor, linking them to the part of this thread in which people are lining up for a group buy. I plan to follow up with a phone call. Hopefully these guys will join the forum and become an official vendor so all is official with the mods here.

Let's get this stuff rolling! ...though hopefully not for $720 shipped...

I want a spare so I don't have to suffer by driving the wife's mommymobile on long trips!

cbloveday
07-30-10, 07:20 AM
Same here on the price. I would like to know the folllowing before I bid:

Rim Size
Tire Brand

I forgot my ebay user id and password so cannot inquire myself. When I requested the info be sent to my email, nothing arrived.

neuronbob
07-30-10, 08:09 AM
I got a reply 20 minutes after I emailed this morning. Here it is:

(Cliff's for the reading impaired: $75-80 off for a GB, need five people)

Hi Robert thanks for sending us this email. Yes we also would like to make
more of these kits but cost is prohibitive.

First off we only have 1 client with a CTSV so domestic cars are not our
market or target demographic.

As far as pricing goes we will need 5 orders to get the price down. Even at
our listed Ebay auction there isn't a huge markup for us to be made
considering the legwork of picking the parts up, doing machine work and
putting this all together. We listed the kit because our client kindly asked
us to for the guys on forum.

Shipping is approx based on the weight of all parts.

If we get 5 orders I will guestimate a decrease in price of around $75-80
maybe a little more we won't know until we call to order materials and
negotiate with the suppliers. It's easier to set the machines up for a full
day to do these than stop our other jobs to set up for a one time deal. It
just cost us time to do so.

Let us know if you have any further questions. If you can put together the
group order that would be great we just would need payment before we order
up all the parts and materials. We also need to have custom shipping boxes
made from ULINE which also is factored into the price.

When you go to their website, it appears they mostly do European cars and exotics, so I understand when they say M5driver is their only client with a CTS-V.

The only issue I see is that if these guys don't join the forum, we may have to resort to organizing via PM or email so that we don't violate CF rules. Being a moderator at another auto forum, mod approval is very important.

CTSVeee
07-30-10, 08:20 AM
I got a reply 20 minutes after I emailed this morning. Here it is:

(Cliff's for the reading impaired: $75-80 off for a GB, need five people)

When you go to their website, it appears they mostly do European cars and exotics, so I understand when they say M5driver is their only client with a CTS-V.

The only issue I see is that if these guys don't join the forum, we may have to resort to organizing via PM or email so that we don't violate CF rules. Being a moderator at another auto forum, mod approval is very important.
I'd like to have a spare tire, but I'm still a bit uneasy with this product. I have no idea what I'm currently signing-up for.

I'd like to see a full listing of the kit, including part numbers. I want to know what it is that they had to do to justify their price.

If they had to modify the rim, then I certainly want to know that before I have to strap it on my 556 hp vehicle. Is it safe?

Did they have to create some sort of holder for the jack, tire iron, etc, that fits under the rim?

It's been said that a fool and his money are soon parted, and I'm no fool. This is the information that I need to know before I commit $650.

neuronbob
07-30-10, 08:22 AM
I agree with you. As noted above, cbloveday has requested the info. I'm sure he'll post up when he gets it. I'll try to follow up as well.

CTSVeee
07-30-10, 08:24 AM
I agree with you. As noted above, cbloveday has requested the info. I'm sure he'll post up when he gets it. I'll try to follow up as well.
Good to know others agree. :thumbsup:

neuronbob
07-30-10, 08:34 AM
^^^^^
Just thinking, referring to your prior post....you won't be using all 556 hp with a spare on, and you probably won't be going faster than 50 mph, as with any compact spare. These guys are probably not going to give all their info away, otherwise they can't make money. At least knowing wheel size and tire brand is reasonable, though, IMHO. As far as safety.....I'm quite sure GM puts lots of miles on spares to judge their safety. No small tuner company is going to put resources into real safety testing. This is yet another reason that I hope that GM eventually puts out a formal solution for us.

CTSVeee
07-30-10, 08:36 AM
^^^^^
Just thinking, referring to your prior post....you won't be using all 556 hp with a spare on, and you probably won't be going faster than 50 mph, as with any compact spare. These guys are probably not going to give all their secrets away. At least knowing wheel size and tire brand is reasonable, though, IMHO. As far as safety.....I'm quite sure GM puts lots of miles on spares to judge their safety. No small tuner company is going to put resources into real safety testing. This is yet another reason that I hope that GM eventually puts out a formal solution for us.
I agree, no doubt I would limp along with a spare on. It was a less pretentious way of saying "my seventy thousand dollar car". ;)

Club Malibu
07-30-10, 06:20 PM
And if I had to drive a long distance, and my rear tire went flat, I would like to put the spare on the front and a stock front wheel on the back so the rear diff won't get too messed up.

I heard the rear wheels do not fit on the front, but do front wheels fit on the rear??? Anyone???????

Also, maybe M5Driver can chime in, with the reduced diameter of the spare, will some warning light come on indicating an ABS failure or stabilitrack failure, because the car knows it's going straight, but it doesn't know why the spare wheel is spinning faster than the stock wheel.

Which wheel does the vehicle speed get sensed???? Or is it from the tranny??? Will our MPH reading get messed up?

How many pages do we have to make this thread so GM will come out with an official spare tire kit???

I received an email from GM a month ago pointing me to a survey about how I liked the car and I clicked one thing about the lack of spare tire and the remaining 20+ questions were about the lack of a spare tire. Anyone else get this????? Maybe they were researching/info mining the demand of the spare for our car. You know what my responses were......

Who's f'n idea was it to not give us a spare???????? I want to meet him and say where's my f'n spare!

mik2718
07-30-10, 06:24 PM
I apparently filled out the same survey as Club Malibu and, once I indicated a concern about the lack of a spare, I was surprised that there were so many followup questions about this one concern.

RapidRob
07-30-10, 07:00 PM
The tire appears smaller in diameter than the stockers--any problems with traction control kicking in or complaining? Should probably take it easy when it's on the rear to keep the LSD from overheating...

Exactly my concern(s) as well. I would want to know if this spare system would work reasonably well with out causing more problems than it eliminates if used as a spare. I'd rather just have the car towed/transported to the nearest dealer/tire shop, and one could probably do that a few times for the asking price shown.

Rob

4DR_ZR1
07-30-10, 07:35 PM
How many pages do we have to make this thread so GM will come out with an official spare tire kit???

Who's f'n idea was it to not give us a spare???????? I want to meet him and say where's my f'n spare!

Well... they didn't give us one for the 1st gen CTS-V. (runflats)
And they didn't put one in the STS-V or the XLR-V. (runflats)
So I'm not holding my breath waiting for GM to make one available for the V2.

... But I'd buy one if they did.

chopmeat
07-30-10, 08:25 PM
I would be interested in a group buy also!

HEDP-V
07-31-10, 08:49 PM
Count me in for the for the group buy also.

RUQWIKR
08-09-10, 09:51 PM
For a larger OD, real close to stock, why not use the tire from the spare kits on the 2010 V6 Camaro's, 155/70/18 Maxxis? Assuming it fits in the trunk well...

neuronbob
08-09-10, 10:21 PM
Well, someone bought the kit that was on eBay. Fess up when you get it!

Still interested in pursuing a group buy, but it looks like it'll have to be offline.

Florian
08-10-10, 12:01 AM
remember, Gentlemen, that to have a GB, you must have a supporting Vendor sponsor it, or become a supporting Vendor (20/mo - no biggie!)

F

neuronbob
08-10-10, 06:05 AM
^^^^^^^
that was one of my purposes in emailing these guys. It's easier to have a group buy with these guys as a vendor. I'll pass it on. Even if they pay 20 bucks for only a mo or two they get some profit out of it.

vett1002
08-10-10, 07:46 AM
i would definitely do the group buy

sotxmike
08-11-10, 12:00 AM
Well, someone bought the kit that was on eBay. Fess up when you get it!

Still interested in pursuing a group buy, but it looks like it'll have to be offline.

I bought it...I'll let the forum know how it works in both the front & back.

GMX322V S/C
08-11-10, 05:16 AM
^^^
Please post a picture of it standing next to one of your stock wheel/tire combos--thanks in advance!

CTSVeee
08-11-10, 07:51 AM
I bought it...I'll let the forum know how it works in both the front & back.
I'd like to know what the machined part was that makes this kit so expensive. Please snap a few pics fo that too! Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a GM part number from a GTO on the spare....please post that number as well if you can find it.

Ross Racing
08-11-10, 11:38 AM
When a GB gets going, don't leave me out of it!

thebigjimsho
08-11-10, 12:57 PM
When a GB gets going, don't leave me out of it!
Nope, you're on your own...

snzuloz
08-11-10, 01:08 PM
Well i didn't get an answer to what that rim is off of (thought it might be the same spare as the 2008 cts i had). If you enlarge the picture the tire size is 135/70-18 i'm assuming, anyone know what this wheel is from?

errr 2009 cts-4-my bad again!

Ross Racing
08-11-10, 01:25 PM
HaHa Every man for himself huh?

I don't want to miss the chance to get the kit at a savings.

CIWS
08-11-10, 01:35 PM
Is this it?

I want to see his spare that fits a 2008 CTS-V :histeric:

RUQWIKR
08-11-10, 08:04 PM
I'd like to know what the machined part was that makes this kit so expensive. Please snap a few pics fo that too! Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a GM part number from a GTO on the spare....please post that number as well if you can find it.

The GTO uses a 17" spare...

CTSVeee
08-18-10, 01:29 PM
@sotxmike, did you receive the spare tire package yet? If so, how does it fit? We need details!!!!!

HEDP-V
08-25-10, 09:11 PM
I just picked up the spare tire kit in the Bronx. And this kit comes with everything mentioned and it looks like its a stock item. This is the best investment I have purchased for my V and I'm completely satisfied. Thankx M5driver for posting the info.

thebigjimsho
08-25-10, 10:03 PM
Yeah, HE made it work!

CTSVeee
08-26-10, 07:39 AM
Could you post a full kit description along with pictures of what is included in the kit? I feel like a broken record. LOL

neuronbob
08-30-10, 12:36 PM
I purchased the kit on eBay, and received it a few days ago since nothing was really happening on the group buy front. It is a solid kit with all GM parts other than an additional Craftsman wrench. The wrench is for the bolts on the spare, which are slightly different in size from the stockers on the wheel. Here's what you get:

Wheel front
http://a.imageshack.us/img10/6342/img0900wz.jpg

Rear of the wheel (made in China by GM? WTF, GM?)
http://a.imageshack.us/img10/5127/img0901ek.jpg

The remainder of the kit: Jack, hook, wrench. Clearly a GM kit. Given that it fits the CTS properly, this is probably from a stock CTS kit. The wheel is not from a CTS kit, however (checked part number).
http://a.imageshack.us/img10/5272/img0902j.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img843/9780/img0903x.jpg

The stock air compressor.
http://a.imageshack.us/img261/5187/img0904z.jpg

New holder on the left, old one on the right.
http://a.imageshack.us/img261/9140/img0905g.jpg

Tool kit installed.
http://a.imageshack.us/img261/9017/img0906t.jpg

All together.
http://a.imageshack.us/img261/6113/img0907d.jpg

Purchased for $589+shipping. The price compares with a stock CTS spare tire kit, which comes with all this for $250 ($215 from Luke at Lindsay). Not sure how much it costs to machine a wheel to fit. I'm sure the seller allowed for a tidy profit...this is America, so it's allowed.... Still wish GM had thrown us some love in the spare tire department.

GMX322V S/C
08-30-10, 12:52 PM
^^^
Thanks for posting pics. How tall is the spare tire compared to the stockers?

CTSVeee
08-30-10, 01:26 PM
Thanks anonfrank for posting!!! This is what I needed to see.

What is the part that they allegedly had to machine, the mounting post perhaps?

OldRoadDawg
08-30-10, 01:34 PM
Rear of the wheel (made in China by GM? WTF, GM?)
http://a.imageshack.us/img10/5127/img0901ek.jpg

The wheel is not from a CTS kit, however (checked part number).

Would you be willing to provide that part number?

Have you had a chance to try fitting this spare to both the front and rear?

CTSVeee
08-30-10, 01:48 PM
Hmm, that wheel/tire is a dead ringer for this tire, the Maxxis t135/70R18, see post #8 below:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/119348-compact-spare-cts.html

neuronbob
08-30-10, 01:51 PM
I'm off this week, so, I'll see if I can get the comparo GMX requests. The spare wheel is marked 18 X 4.07 X 40.

It looks like they machined the mounting area. I am a doctor and not a wheel expert, so I can't tell with 100% certainty what was done.

I haven't had a chance to try mounting it yet. I relied on M5driver's proof of concept.

Edit: I forgot to mention, there appears to be a spacer on the wheel as well. See the second picture.

IBNR
08-30-10, 02:06 PM
Looks good. Is the eBay listing still up? I can't seem to locate it.

snzuloz
08-30-10, 02:07 PM
Hmm, that wheel/tire is a dead ringer for this tire, the Maxxis t135/70R18, see post #8 below:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/119348-compact-spare-cts.html

I tried this past weekend to install a spare from a regular cts (2009) same tire size as above, the rear would fit with a spacer, the front would absolutely not fit unless the wheel was machined down just behind the spoke area (barrel area-would compromise the integrity of the wheel). This wheel pictured looks identical to the one I tried, does anyone know if the regulasr cts spare is different than the 18" summer performance wheel optioned cars are equipped with?

cdog533
08-30-10, 04:50 PM
I don't understand how that spacer works..... That does look like a stock CTS spare.

CTSVeee
08-31-10, 08:59 AM
I tried this past weekend to install a spare from a regular cts (2009) same tire size as above, the rear would fit with a spacer, the front would absolutely not fit unless the wheel was machined down just behind the spoke area (barrel area-would compromise the integrity of the wheel). This wheel pictured looks identical to the one I tried, does anyone know if the regulasr cts spare is different than the 18" summer performance wheel optioned cars are equipped with?
Perhaps you needed a thicker/wider spacer. The one on the wheel shown by anonfrank looks pretty thick.

snzuloz
08-31-10, 12:31 PM
Perhaps you needed a thicker/wider spacer. The one on the wheel shown by anonfrank looks pretty thick.

The spacer can only be so thick before you run out of threads on your lug nuts, looks like 1/2 or so maximum I'm guessing. The rim I tested would absolutely not fit in the front regardless of spacing (the barrel section of the inside of the rim behind the spokes was going to contact the caliper) The wheel would have to be machined down slightly in that area to clear the caliper (not sure how much material is there to play with but not liking that idea). Going to see if the spare from the summer performance equipped cars differentiate with that of the regular cts...

neuronbob
09-03-10, 11:55 AM
At dealer now. I asked my service rep to measure out and test fit the spare for me. Seems to fit just fine. Looks like it works. Still would love an official spare tire solution from GM or at least their logic in not providing one.

carterb
12-21-11, 01:18 PM
Is there any recent or updated information on the spare tire kit for the CTS-V? Thanks.

Carter

elphil
12-21-11, 04:21 PM
Is there any recent or updated information on the spare tire kit for the CTS-V? Thanks.

Carter

We have been buying the spare kit here: http://eurotekdesigns.com/main.html Call or email.

MrMaschine
12-21-11, 05:37 PM
This is the ULTIMATE LIFE SAVER, I am embarrassed to admit but I had to use my spare kit 3 times in the past year and just used it this morning for crying out loud. I was coming off the I78 in NJ and something fell off a truck and smashed under my car and then my TPMS light came on. I pulled off the first exit and in 15 minutes I made it to my appointment just with dirty hands. My sidewall got pierced on my PS2 and I had a local Goodyear shop replace it this afternoon. I think i ran over a rusted out exhaust pipe it scared the crap out of me.

cts-v ls6
01-14-12, 02:10 PM
OK, I ordered and received the Eurotek spare tire kit for my 2010 V2.

Questions: So the air compressor is removed and not stored in the trunk area? The kit I received won't fit in the trunk well without removing the compressor. This is probably an idiotic question, but somewhere in the thread I remember reading that one of the guys that bought this kit stored the compressor in the wheel well. Anyway, mine won't fit that way.

I did not receive the special bent threaded rod that ties it all together. I've emailed Eurotek.

How does the spacer work? If you need the spare, do you unbolt the stub bolts that hold the spacer to the spare tire wheel hub, and then simply put the spacer between the wheel that had the flat and the back of the Eurotek wheel? And then bolt it up? Is the spacer needed for both the front and rear wheels, since the Brembo calipers are different?

And I would guess that a second socket should be purchased to fit the stock nuts on the V2 wheels? And I also wonder if yet a 3rd socket is required for the lock nut on each wheel. All this to change a tire!

I did get caught in a blinding rainstorm last summer trying to fix a flat with the compressor. What a joke! Soaked to the skin, the rain was coming down sideways, and when you connect the compressor to the 12 VDC socket inside the car, guess what? You can't shut the door or window and the inside of the car gets soaked! Then I really screwed up and tried to use the sealant. What a mess. Turns out the POS PS2 tire had a hole in the back of the sidewall...and no compressor was gonna fix that.

Please advise. I drive 50k miles per year, and I need this spare!

Thanks,

Jack

elphil
01-14-12, 03:15 PM
I believe the poster you refer to who stored the compressor in the wheel well is Tuna who has a Wagon. I bought one for my Wagon and the compressor stores easily in the well.
I haven't had occasion to use the spare, knock on wood. I think the spacer bolts to the hub with the supplied lug nuts and the spare bolts to the spacer with with the car's lug nuts.
Be sure you have the correct socket wrenches to fit the two sets of lug nuts. I didn't use the supplied hold down rod. I put the spare in the well, subwoofer on top of the spare and used the rod that comes with Wagon.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/elphil_photo/IMG_0134.jpg

Two hard covers and a mat go over the spare compartment. The spacer and compressor are held in place with Valcro strips.

(revised based on RogersV's posting below)

SoCalCTSV
01-14-12, 05:50 PM

We have been buying the spare kit here: http://eurotekdesigns.com/main.html Call or email.

Unless you have a Coupe. :(

elphil
01-14-12, 06:16 PM
One idea, especially for those with summer and winter wheel sets, is to deflate a tire so it will fit in the spare well and use the compressor to inflate it when needed for a flat. Measuring the diameter of the spare well in the Wagon it looks like a wheel/tire off the V is only one to two inches larger in diameter. I'm too lazy to actually try it myself.

carterb
01-14-12, 08:50 PM
Just got my kit from Eurotek a couple days ago and installed in the tire well, along with the original tire pump, etc. Fairly tight fit between the tire and the cover, but it still fits ok with the pump - cover still closes. Using the original straight rod in the car (my kit did not come with a bent rod). You need to place the pump under the left side. Attached is a picture of my installation.

Club Malibu
01-15-12, 12:33 PM
Attached is a picture of my installation.

Thanks for the pic! Now I gotta get around to buying this this before it's too late

RogersV
01-15-12, 12:34 PM
Here is the info I received from Eurotek, (in red). The nuts that are on the adapter when you receive it are the ones that hold it to the hub. Then when the wheel is installed you use the nuts that came with the car to hold the wheel to the adapter. I did find the "socket" too tight for the supplied nuts and had to file it a little. To tighten the stock nuts you use the black collapsable lug wrench that comes in the kit.

we mount the adaptor to the wheel for shipping purposes and trunk storage.

If you need to install the spare you use the breaker bar and socket to undo the adaptor from the spare wheel and tire assembly. You then install the adaptor on the cars hub using the breaker bar and socket. Then you install the wheel over that and use the OEM lug nuts with the other wrench assembly. Itís a breeze.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Phil

Eurotek

bbang
01-16-12, 03:13 PM
Very nice. I am interested as well... you should produce a few and make some money..

banph
07-07-12, 05:03 PM
I have been reading this forum quite often but this is the first time I thought a needed to reply. My wife just bought a new 2012 CTS-V. She also owned a 2009 CTS and when she bought it we purchased the Compact spare kit as an additional option. When she traded it in, we kept the spare tire kit. After reading all the discussions and looking at the Eurotek kit, I was trying to figure out what was different from my OEM kit and the one for $600.
Here is what I did today. I pulled the front wheel off the CTS-V, since this has the largest caliper and put three spacers (approx 1.2") on the wheel lug bolts. I then held up the compact spare like it was mounted. I spun the wheel and no rubbing occurred. I believe it will fit with a 1 1/2" spacer. Clearly it is tight on the inside of the front caliber but fits with enough clearance to handle an emergency situation. Adaptit USA makes a wheel spacer just like the one Eurotek sells. Its about $50. Model # 51205120. I plan to call them next week and order one with the right 14X150 lugs. Unless I am crazy, this will allow both the front and rear wheels enough clearance to use my current OEM spare. When you look at the Eurotek product that is what they did, provide a spacer. Not clear why they had to mill the wheel unless it is for clearance of the lug nut bolts that attach the spacer. If you order a 1 1/2 inch spacer it appears this will eliminate this problem.

Again, don't want to come off as an expert here, but maybe there is another cheaper alternative. Eurotek is a good one, but costly. When I emailed them to buy the spacer only, since I had everything else, they told me it was to expensive to build just the spacer and it would cost about $300. They did say that it was a little more complicated since they had to mill the wheel. Not clear why, based on my test fit this morning.

Well, if anyone out there has different info, please share.

In conclusion, I know that Cadillac personnel monitor this forum and they should. Clearly they need to provide a better alternative to CTS-V owners then inflatable compressors with sealant. Remember if you have to use the sealant, you ruin your valve stem monitor and that is costly to replace. I also have a 08 Z06 and it comes with Run Flat tires. I don't understand why the CTS-V doesn't.

thebigjimsho
07-07-12, 05:24 PM
Good stuff!

neuronbob
07-07-12, 06:11 PM
Hear, hear! I say again, this movement toward loss of spares in new cars is ridiculous and unsafe!

With a spare tire, a flat is a 15-minute inconvenience. Without is an hour or two waiting on a tow truck.

Blakester
07-07-12, 06:15 PM
Side skirts under V are different than std.cts, what are we using to overcome damaging skirt when jacking car? Any pictures?

jzchen
07-19-12, 06:02 AM
I have been reading this forum quite often but this is the first time I thought a needed to reply. My wife just bought a new 2012 CTS-V. She also owned a 2009 CTS and when she bought it we purchased the Compact spare kit as an additional option. When she traded it in, we kept the spare tire kit. After reading all the discussions and looking at the Eurotek kit, I was trying to figure out what was different from my OEM kit and the one for $600.
Here is what I did today. I pulled the front wheel off the CTS-V, since this has the largest caliper and put three spacers (approx 1.2") on the wheel lug bolts. I then held up the compact spare like it was mounted. I spun the wheel and no rubbing occurred. I believe it will fit with a 1 1/2" spacer. Clearly it is tight on the inside of the front caliber but fits with enough clearance to handle an emergency situation. Adaptit USA makes a wheel spacer just like the one Eurotek sells. Its about $50. Model # 51205120. I plan to call them next week and order one with the right 14X150 lugs. Unless I am crazy, this will allow both the front and rear wheels enough clearance to use my current OEM spare. When you look at the Eurotek product that is what they did, provide a spacer. Not clear why they had to mill the wheel unless it is for clearance of the lug nut bolts that attach the spacer. If you order a 1 1/2 inch spacer it appears this will eliminate this problem.

Again, don't want to come off as an expert here, but maybe there is another cheaper alternative. Eurotek is a good one, but costly. When I emailed them to buy the spacer only, since I had everything else, they told me it was to expensive to build just the spacer and it would cost about $300. They did say that it was a little more complicated since they had to mill the wheel. Not clear why, based on my test fit this morning.

Well, if anyone out there has different info, please share.

In conclusion, I know that Cadillac personnel monitor this forum and they should. Clearly they need to provide a better alternative to CTS-V owners then inflatable compressors with sealant. Remember if you have to use the sealant, you ruin your valve stem monitor and that is costly to replace. I also have a 08 Z06 and it comes with Run Flat tires. I don't understand why the CTS-V doesn't.

I think the reason for no run-flats was a bumpy ride. Run flats ride harsh, even on my '04 AWD Toyota Sienna with the tall sidewalls. Anyways, people who want runflats, AND don't care whether they are running different tires front and back, (I don't because they are staggered fitment anyways, but won't need new tires anytime soon,) can use these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Efficient+Grip+RunOnFlat&partnum=54YR9EGROFXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

for the front.
And there are several "99" sevice description runflats to choose from (I don't know if this link really works, tried on another tab but it seems generic.):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

for the rear.

oldiemotors
08-07-12, 08:51 PM
... Adaptit USA makes a wheel spacer just like the one Eurotek sells. Its about $50. Model # 51205120. I plan to call them next week and order one with the right 14X150 lugs. Unless I am crazy, this will allow both the front and rear wheels enough clearance to use my current OEM spare.

Has anyone confirmed that the standard CTS spare will work with the 1.5" spacer from Adaptit? Anyone have the part number for the standard CTS spare kit?

banph
08-09-12, 08:45 PM
I received the adapter a few weeks ago, but have not tried it on the car yet. It does fit properly on the Compact spare wheel, with no interference. I am confident it will fit the car and clear the brake calipers. I will try this weekend to jack the car up and install and confirm.

oldiemotors
08-10-12, 01:06 PM
Does Cadillac sell a kit for the standard CTS. I called my Cadillac dealer and they could not find one.

banph
08-10-12, 05:00 PM
They did in 09. It was an option on the order list.

oldiemotors
08-10-12, 07:52 PM
Anyone have a GM part number for the kit?

banph
08-12-12, 04:18 PM
I installed the spare tire on today using the Adaptit spacer and it worked fine. No issues. Will try to post pictures.

If you have the ability to get the spare tire kit, then all you have to do is order from AdaptitUSA the spacer. 1 and 1/2 inch with 5 X120 lug pattern. ADAPTSM15

banph
08-13-12, 12:33 AM
Here are the pictures of the spare tire with the Adapter on the vehicle. Hope this helps people with another alternative.

The people at Adaptit USA are great to work with. You can look it up on the web if interested.

Blakester
08-13-12, 07:01 AM
Did you have any trouble lifting car with sizzor jack.(clearing plastic facia?)

Dogbreath
08-13-12, 08:18 AM
So just to make it easy for those of us too lazy to go back through the entire thread, can somebody put together the part numbers and manufacturers for the kit?

banph
08-13-12, 10:39 AM
Not really. If you have the spare tire kit option that came with the cts the jack works fine. I found it difficult to use the jack handle to turn the extension for the jack. it was a slow process moving the handle back and forth so I could make Full turns as well as It came very close to hitting the door. So I used an adjustable wrench, a large one and it worked perfectly. I am thinking of trying to get another jack handle that will fit the slot of the extension and cut it down so it can turn freely, making it a quicker change.

Lenvo65
08-14-12, 10:25 PM
So I bought a kit advertised on eBay advertised to fit a CTS-V and it arrived today as a simply stock CTS spare wheel kit, with no spacer and will not clear front caliper. I've written the seller to try to resolve this, I am assuming from prior postings that buying tha spacer from Adaptit USA along with 5 lugs will solve my problem. Any other approach to resolve it?

banph
08-15-12, 11:07 AM
Here is the website for the adapter that I bought. I asked them to install 14X150 studs vs the ones that come with them are 12X150. The cost is $3 each for the 14X150 studs. This way you can use your original lug nuts when installing the spare tire.

Go to this website: http://adaptitusa.com/5x120to5x120wheeladapter.aspx

FinestKind-CTS-V
08-16-12, 04:38 PM
Is there a link to purchase the spare tire kit?

oldiemotors
08-22-12, 07:21 PM
So I bought a kit advertised on eBay advertised to fit a CTS-V and it arrived today as a simply stock CTS spare wheel kit, with no spacer and will not clear front caliper. I've written the seller to try to resolve this, I am assuming from prior postings that buying tha spacer from Adaptit USA along with 5 lugs will solve my problem. Any other approach to resolve it?

Could you post the GM part number for the kit you purchased? My dealer cannot find a "kit" part number.

jpks
01-03-13, 05:46 PM
gmpartsdirect for spare tire kit#19179359
and you the adapt spacer..
we are doing the same instead of spending $700 on ebay(eurokit)..

rodneye
01-03-13, 10:02 PM
Quick question. Does this spare tire kit work on the coupe. I noticed all of you drive sedans or wagons...

Im definately interested if it does.

neuronbob
01-03-13, 10:16 PM
Yes, it works on the coupe as well.

SoCalCTSV
01-04-13, 12:05 AM
Quick question. Does this spare tire kit work on the coupe. I noticed all of you drive sedans or wagons...

Im definately interested if it does.

Yes it does.

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/4695/imagetoe.jpg

It even came with a mounting base, jack, breaker bars and socket.

http://imageshack.us/a/img685/9636/imagelyu.jpg

I need to put Velcro on the bottom so it doesnt slide around. Not much room in the trunk but it will beat a tow if I'm in the middle of nowhere. Got a cheap cover that keeps it tidy.

dennych
01-04-13, 03:58 AM
Here is the website for the adapter that I bought. I asked them to install 14X150 studs vs the ones that come with them are 12X150. The cost is $3 each for the 14X150 studs. This way you can use your original lug nuts when installing the spare tire.

Thanks for the link. This sounds like a much more reasonable option. What options do you select for the adapter for that link?

Also this fits around the subwoofer?

stl_ls1gto
02-19-13, 08:30 AM
I would also like to know if this fits with the stock sub in the wagon.....my wagon should be built in the next month or so. Thanks

thebigjimsho
02-19-13, 09:29 AM
Everytime I read this thread title, I laugh at the huge ego of the OP.

"I made it work."

neuronbob
02-20-13, 09:06 PM
I would also like to know if this fits with the stock sub in the wagon.....my wagon should be built in the next month or so. Thanks

Yes, it does. I have this setup, having transferred it from my V sedan. This is an image from my wagon.

http://imageshack.us/a/img26/8562/img2546copy.jpg

stl_ls1gto
02-21-13, 10:46 AM
great, thanks for the reply. looks like I will be getting this as it is half the price of the other kit available.

dennych
02-22-13, 02:53 AM
Ugh I feel like I should get this but it's still quite expensive... At the very least at least I bought my towhook eye...

neuronbob
02-22-13, 06:05 AM
You will kick yourself if you get a flat and you are stuck at the side of the road for two hours in a snowstorm waiting for a tow. It happened to me, including the BAD snowstorm part, and was the impetus for my purchase. The money spent is well worth the convenience. Now a flat is at worst, a 15-20-minute inconvenience and not a huge chunk of your day wasted. Car should have come with at least the option for a spare.

Double e
02-22-13, 01:12 PM
Awesome thread!!!

So at that site... (adapt it USA)

I have a selection for 5 X 120 to 5 X 120 Wheel Adapter ($54.75)
I have a field for Adapter Thickness: 1.5 inch (+$5.00)
I have a selection that asks "Does your vehicle take lug bolts?": I believe I answer no, as the V takes lug nuts, not bolts, (is that right?)
(Selections for year/make & phone are intuitive)
I have a selection for Stud upgrade and see the 14x1.50 selection in teh drop down: I select that ($10.00)

(It's non-returnable, so I want to get this right...once.)

Banph, can you verify this & answer the nut/bolt question?

Next, I need to get a jack, wheel/tire & wrench. If I understand the above posts right, I can get a wheel/tire from an '09+ CTS and use it as a spare on all 4 corners on the 2011 V sedan.
Is there an alternate wheel/tire I should consider instead?

Banph, can you verify this & answer the alternate wheel/tire question also?

banph
02-27-13, 08:05 PM
Sorry for the delay, but I don't watch this forum that much.

I suggest you call them directly, but here is what I have on my Sales receipt:

ADAPTSM15 Wheel Adapter 1.50" QTY 1 $49.75
Vehicle: 5X120
Wheel: 5X120
LG14X150 14mm X1.50 ET Lug Nut QTY 5 No Charge
Lug Nut Discount since 5 come with the purchase of the adapter Credit of $5.00

ST14X150 14mm X150 Lug stud Upgrade (per stud) QTY 5 $3 each = $15.00

SHIP $10.00
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Type

No Sales tax

Total $69.75

Hope this helps. The adapter comes with lug studs (12MMX1.50) but I asked them for the 14Mm upgrade so i could use my original lugs nuts that come with the car.

With regards to the spare tire.. Others have posted the GM kit. You can get it through GM Direct Parts.

silvergs
03-06-13, 05:07 AM
ok so just call eurotek and ask for the ctsv spare tire kit? and it comes with everything including the spacer? how much did you guys pay? thanks

Blakester
03-06-13, 08:59 AM
Just under $800.00

rodneye
03-06-13, 02:34 PM
I paid $795 about a month ago. They told me I was getting the last one they had in stock. Not sure if they made more or it was more of a selling tool for them. Either way Im really glad I purchased it. Its a great kit and now when I drive out of town I have piece of mind.

neuronbob
03-06-13, 04:59 PM
Wow. When the kit first came out, it was sold on eBay or via phone calls. When I bought my kit in 2010, I paid around $650 shipped--just looked at my Paypal history to confirm. They are making a nice profit on a niche product. There's capitalism at work for you.

jpks
03-07-13, 02:42 PM
eurotek is selling a kit that can be bought for 350dlrs.
www.gmpartsdirect.com for spare tire kit#19179359 this is a complete kit just have to have tire mounted on rim..
plus adapter from these guys.. http://adaptitusa.com/5x120to5x120wheeladapter.aspx
why anyone would pay more i dont understand....

Club Malibu
03-07-13, 07:21 PM
www.gmpartsdirect.com for spare tire kit#19179359 this is a complete kit just have to have tire mounted on rim..
plus adapter from these guys.. http://adaptitusa.com/5x120to5x120wheeladapter.aspx

Does the above combo fit onto the front and rear tires? Have you personally tried it and driven on it? Does all the suspension parts clear the wheel when the suspension compresses? Really compresses???

I know my questions sound like I'm being a doubter but and I am not hating on you. I just know that if you put the back wheel on the front, your suspension gets damaged because it won't clear. Eurotek had to machine out the spare tire to make eveything fit for front and back with one wheel. I do not own any spare tire kit yet, but I am looking for one.

MD-11
03-08-13, 02:39 AM
I just know that if you put the back wheel on the front, your suspension gets damaged because it won't clear.

Exactly what gets damaged?

banph
03-08-13, 12:38 PM
Not trying to be rude, but sometimes CTS-V owners need to open their eyes and use their brains.

Fact:
The rear wheel is larger than the front (19X9), wider by an .5"(19X9.5 sedan) to 1"(19X10 Coupe) allowing a wider tire.
Clearly installing the rear wheel on the front spindle would create interference issues.

Fact:
The spare tire kit is a smaller tire than both the front and rear, creating more clearance in both wheel wells.

Fact:
The brake calipers are the issue for clearance. The front brake being the larger one requires the spare tire kit to have a 1/1/2" spacer. Without the spacer the spare tire wheel hits the brake calipers.

Eurotek does exactly what members on this forum did, without the $500 additional markup. Ever wonder why Eurotek never responds to any of these post other than to provide an opportunity for a sale. So members have two choices, just like JKPS posted. Assemble the parts yourself like other forum
members have suggested at about $300-$350 depending how savvy you are when it comes to GM internet parts shopping or spend the $800 for the
Eurotek kit and have a $500 piece of mind that you think they did it better.

However, just food for thought. I would suggest that any milling of the actual wheel (GM Spare Kit # 19179359) would compromise the integrity and strength of the wheel itself, making it unsafe for vehicle use. The only place to mill the wheel is where it mounts to the lugs bolts. Clearly using a 1 1/2 spacer solves this discussion.[COLOR="Silver"]

MD-11
03-08-13, 03:15 PM
not try to be rude also, but installing the rear wheel/tire on the front does not "clearly" create rubbing issues and my question was for what suspension damage would be caused since it was posted that it would happen.

Low_ET
03-08-13, 04:54 PM
not try to be rude also, but installing the rear wheel/tire on the front does not "clearly" create rubbing issues and my question was for what suspension damage would be caused since it was posted that it would happen.

The sedan rear wheel hits the spindle near where it connects to the upper A-Arm. The sedan rear wheel is 9.5-inches wide and has an offset of 56mm (vs. 51mm for the front wheel). That creates an interference.

To mount the rear sedan wheel on the front, you need an 8mm spacer (minimum) to clear the spindle. I have done it. Longer studs and hub-centric spacers are a wise choice if you go that way. D3 sells spacers specifically to mount the sedan rear wheels on the front. I use 9.5-inch wide wheels all around so I can rotate the tires.

If you buy wheels with a 40mm to 45mm offset, you can run 9.5-inch wheels all around with no spacers. Many of us who track our cars do that for track-day wheels/tires.

MD-11
03-08-13, 07:32 PM
Thank you

phatman
03-08-13, 10:12 PM

Thanks! I posted this a few pages back, along with the part number and was told I was wrong, so instead of arguing, I just let it go. Figured, if you want to pay $800 instead of $350, it's your money.

neuronbob
03-09-13, 06:29 AM

Back a couple of years ago when this thread started, this info wasn't easily available. If it had, I'd have probably done this myself instead of spending more.

As I keep posting, GM needs to make the next V available with a spare kit as an option so we don't have to McGyver our own solutions.

vagondr
03-09-13, 07:26 PM
When I place the Eurotek spare up front it clears the caliper by only a centimeter but I guess that's enough. The only problem I have is keeping the wheel from rotating when torquing the spacer. Should I wedge a screwdriver against the caliper and rotor fins to hold the rotor when tightening?

the blur
03-11-13, 06:10 AM
I just found the Eurotek kit on ebay. They will NOT let me pick it up in da Bronx. Then I found this :worship:
So to be clear, I'm ordering:
GM part # 19179359, (from my internet parts dealer), $330; and the adaptor for $60
And a breaker bar, with a socket. and I'm done ????

Or I may go to a junk yard, and try to find a CTS, and just yank everything out of the truck.

jzchen
03-11-13, 02:32 PM
I just found the Eurotek kit on ebay. They will NOT let me pick it up in da Bronx. Then I found this :worship:
GM part # 19179359, (from my internet parts dealer), $330; and the adaptor for $60

Or I may go to a junk yard, and try to find a CTS, and just yank everything out of the truck.

Don't forget the spacer/adapter, (one would assume.)

pat2t2f
03-29-13, 04:04 PM
I know this has been gone over millions of times and I apologize for my stupidity but.. The spacer we need is 1.5" thick and we have lug nuts so the lug bolt personalization is unnecessary?

banph
03-29-13, 07:07 PM
Here is the website for the adapter that I bought. The Spacer is 1 1/2 thick. I asked them to install 14X150 studs vs the ones that come with them are 12X150. The cost is $3each for the 14X150 studs. This way you can use your original lug nuts when installing the spare tire. They will supply the smaller lug nuts that attach the spacer to your hub.

Hope this helps

pat2t2f
03-29-13, 09:17 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it

the blur
04-12-13, 03:50 AM
Is the below 100% verified ?

Awesome thread!!!

So at that site... (adapt it USA)

I have a selection for 5 X 120 to 5 X 120 Wheel Adapter ($54.75)
I have a field for Adapter Thickness: 1.5 inch (+$5.00)
I have a selection that asks "Does your vehicle take lug bolts?": I believe I answer no, as the V takes lug nuts, not bolts, (is that right?)
(Selections for year/make & phone are intuitive)
I have a selection for Stud upgrade and see the 14x1.50 selection in teh drop down: I select that ($10.00)

(It's non-returnable, so I want to get this right...once.)

simgolfer
04-12-13, 11:52 PM
Is the below 100% verified ?

Just ordered this last month. Fits perfectly.

the blur
05-06-13, 06:51 PM
I just put my kit together. The spacer that everyone loves so much is NOT hub centric. It's lug centric, which can be problematic on long drives. You really need to center it, and torque it down correctly, if ever stranded. Had I known this, I would have called adaptit, and special ordered a hubcentric adaptor.

What did everyone do with the air pumps ? I may go out now, and look for a compact air pump, and hopefully it'll fit under the spare.

MD-11
05-07-13, 02:45 AM
noticed that too but figured it would be alright since its just to get me home. went to wal-mart and picked up a "Slime" pump and a plug kit didn't get the smallest one got the one that said 8 min to fill and it fits under tire barely.

Big Jay
05-09-13, 01:06 AM
So when you have these parts, and you have to install it. What nuts hold the adaptor to the hub, and which ones hold the wheel to the adaptor. I am assuming that the nuts off the car, hold the spare tire to the adaptor. So do you need another oem set of nuts to put the adaptor on the hub?

MD-11
05-09-13, 02:28 AM
the adapter comes with a special set to mount it to the car

Big Jay
05-19-13, 01:55 AM

Where did you find the wheel and tire for $330.00 ?

taken
05-19-13, 03:37 PM
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?partnumber=19179359

thebigjimsho
05-19-13, 04:29 PM
Luke at Lindsay may be able to get that for you, not sure.

taken
05-20-13, 03:05 PM
Hey guys, to confirm, the GM kit #19179359 comes with the tire, rim, base kit, jack, breaker bar, and socket? For some reason I thought the GM setup was only the tire and rim. If so, even better yet. Oh and also, the spacer is this one? http://adaptitusa.com/5x120to5x120wheeladapter.aspx

I want to order both but wanted to make sure both were right and that with that kit and spacer, I get all I need. Thanks in advance.

Big Jay
05-20-13, 10:32 PM
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?partnumber=19179359

Has anyone actually ordered one from these people? What was the cost t your door?

taken
05-21-13, 06:56 AM
Has anyone actually ordered one from these people? What was the cost t your door?

They quote shipping on their site. Just put it in your cart and estimate shipping.

Big Jay
05-22-13, 05:14 PM
Am I to assume that you have done this with them?

Some of these places are known for low ball pricing, then adding huge "handling charges" when they run the card. Their website shows $38.00 shipping to me for the tire and wheel. No way is that accurate.

Again, has anyone bought this tire and wheel from them? What did it cost to your door?

taken
05-22-13, 05:26 PM
Am about to. No company can add handling charges that are not listed at checkout when you click submit. Your cc company would dispute that in an instant.

KP-V
05-22-13, 05:56 PM
My total charge was $341.70, just as quoted on the website.

Big Jay
05-22-13, 06:40 PM
My total charge was $341.70, just as quoted on the website.

Thank you. That was the total charge to your door?

KP-V
05-22-13, 09:11 PM
Yes, it was. Delivered by UPS to my door. It looks good. Haven't tried it.

the blur
05-23-13, 08:23 AM
I ordered it from gm parts direct.com way cheaper than anywhere else. The adaptor above, I am having problems with. It's not hubcentric, and as of now, they won't exchange it. So I'm not happy with the adaptor that everyone is ordering above.

thebigjimsho
05-23-13, 12:46 PM
I ordered it from gm parts direct.com way cheaper than anywhere else. The adaptor above, I am having problems with. It's not hubcentric, and as of now, they won't exchange it. So I'm not happy with the adaptor that everyone is ordering above.

Did you call Luke?

Jedi
07-07-13, 04:56 AM
Can someone post up their setup? I'm interested in picking up a spare as well and I want to make sure i get the right stuff for my V. Also my V didnt come with the spare pump kit for some reason, so if anyone has one they want to sell let me know.
Thanks!

VMoose
07-10-13, 09:10 PM
Here is the GM spare tire kit and how I arranged it for a V Wagon.

The spare tire kit comes with the tire and rim in the same box, but 6 pieces. Tire, rim, valve stem, new anchor bolt and plastic anchor washer, and the jack kit. I had it mounted and kept the white styrofoam that is in this original shipping box.

In pictures:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DzG39KKBWlc/Ud3ycvxPR3I/AAAAAAAAEjo/KE3f602chKY/s800/2013-07-10%252018.01.02.jpg

First I removed the air compressor and subwoofer from the V wagon. Then I removed the old anchor bolt that held the sub and compressor kit in place.

Then I installed the new supplied anchor bolt. It just pops in to place.

Then I laid that white styrofoam piece (made with cutouts for the spokes) at the bottom of the spare tire well and placed the wheel face down on to it.

Then I put subwoofer in and put the plastic anchor washer on.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4KqSP4aXL7I/Ud4DUUc89II/AAAAAAAAEkM/aowqV5hIrCw/s800/2013-07-10%252019.48.11.jpg

I trimmed the black styrofoam on the jack kit so that it would be flush with the right side of the storage area above the spare tire well. I also trimmed the top side so that the compressor would fit snugly between the kit and the forward edge of the well.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-UhBl1QLVWp0/Ud4DUZZMtCI/AAAAAAAAEkU/nDkLE0cloX0/s800/2013-07-10%252019.49.06.jpg

I then strapped the compressor using one of the built in velcro straps in the storage area.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hxzR_LeZync/Ud4DUYY6ZMI/AAAAAAAAEkQ/qBq5OWAnp7M/s800/2013-07-10%252019.52.55.jpg

Then I threw a moving blanket in to prevent any sideways movement.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GazDHJBhAaI/Ud4DUqfc0YI/AAAAAAAAEkk/rLc27xOZo9Q/s800/2013-07-10%252019.54.42.jpg

And you're done! (minus the wheel spacer that I have to order still).
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-QHvDxhOsDKk/Ud4DU7zmraI/AAAAAAAAEkg/DOk4Loievwc/s800/2013-07-10%252019.55.07.jpg

Hope this helps!

taken
07-10-13, 09:13 PM
Everywhere I check these are backordered with no ship date. From what I've been told, GM is sourcing a new vendor. Anyone know of anywhere that has these in stock? gmpartsdirect has been out for over a month and can't get any....

the blur
07-10-13, 09:31 PM
Junk yard

taken
07-10-13, 09:33 PM
Junk yard

Yep tried that. None I can find...