: One more "What is it?"

KevinOpp
07-06-10, 01:39 AM
between the first 2 ultrasonic sensors on the front passenger bumber is a rectangular piece that looks identical to the headlight washer covers on both sides, just one level up. but it's only on the passenger side, not the driver's. what does that one do?

algiorda
07-06-10, 07:40 AM
I'm pretty sure that one is a BOLT cover. Others may verify.

TSS
07-06-10, 08:18 AM
Cover comes off. Behind it is a spot to insert a huge eye bolt tow/recovery hook that you can get from the dealer. If it is the same size eye hook that the 04-09s had, I have an extra new one. Never used. I had it "just in case".

KevinOpp
07-06-10, 12:33 PM
Cover comes off. Behind it is a spot to insert a huge eye bolt tow/recovery hook that you can get from the dealer. If it is the same size eye hook that the 04-09s had, I have an extra new one. Never used. I had it "just in case".
i love getting answers so quickly.....

anyway, that's pretty cool. but as long as you mentioned this, why is it that on many (most?) vehicles the tow bolt is always offsides, rather than being smack in the middle? i would assume that with physics and all, the middle would pull more evenly.......but my 4Runner is the same way.

TSS
07-06-10, 01:11 PM
I am pretty sure it needs to be off center or it might interfere with license plates. At least that is my theory.

Todd

KevinOpp
07-07-10, 12:47 AM
well, now that i know what it is, i poked around a little bit at it tonight. how do you get the cover off? it looks like you would have to stick a flathead screwdriver in and pop it out, but i dunno how good that would be for the paint job------

TSS
07-07-10, 08:16 AM
Use something plastic for sure, or maybe a toothpick. I used the edge of a very thin plastic putty knife I think.

Instaed of trying to pry off, stick something in there, apply pressure to the side of the cutout, and then pull towards you, keeping the pressure on. If you try to simply pry, you may damage the area surrounding the cover. For extra safety, put some masking tape around the cutout before starting removal. It's been a while, but it was not that tough.

KevinOpp
07-07-10, 10:38 AM
thanks. i think i'll leave it in place until i ever need to go in there. it seems to be happy as it is, and i don't think that i need to change that.

sube5186
07-07-10, 05:54 PM
thanks. i think i'll leave it in place until i ever need to go in there. it seems to be happy as it is, and i don't think that i need to change that.

:thumbsup:

My feelings exactly.

Sube

pastohio
07-11-10, 10:31 AM
Some makes of vehicles have these to install an eyebolt, then when they ship the cars to overseas on a boat, they can tie them down quicker then having to strap it to the floor with regular straps...just my $.02

KevinOpp
07-11-10, 01:13 PM
Some makes of vehicles have these to install an eyebolt, then when they ship the cars to overseas on a boat, they can tie them down quicker then having to strap it to the floor with regular straps...just my $.02
that's interesting, thanks. it would also explain why it doesn't need to be centered---i have just seen so many offsides that i wondered why they would use that method for towing, it just seems to make for unhappy physics.

fwiw, my 4Runner has what is described as a "towing hook" that comes down underneath the car (much higher clearance) in basically the same spot as the SRX's and is described in the manual as meant for towing or pulling. but still.......offsides.

TSS
07-12-10, 08:17 AM

Not the case with the SRX. Intentionally designed for emergency recovery, as there is no place else that would really safely work for a tow strap without causing damage. Even though it is called a tow hook, it is not really a tow hook, but rather a recovery hook for being pulled, or pulling something, out of the snow/ditch etc.

As to waiting until you need it to figure it out - two things.

1. It is useless unless you own a tow bolt, they used to come with the vehicle, but no more.

2. Whenever I get a new car, I take out the jack and do a trial run of changing a tire. I don't want to be trying to figure things out for the first time on the side of the highway in the dark/rain/etc. I felt the same way about the tow bolt. I made sure i could take the cover off safely, without damaging the paint before I mioght actually need it. Just my .02. ;)

KevinOpp
07-12-10, 12:52 PM
so where does one get a tow bolt that we can store away in the trunk until needed?

KevinOpp
07-12-10, 12:55 PM
oh, sorry--you had already answered that above---my dealer. unless you want to sell your extra?

KevinOpp
07-12-10, 01:14 PM
alright, i have some answers, straight from the horse's mouth-----

i just phoned my dealership's parts dept. they were completely unfamiliar with it, but looked it up. so some facts--

---they cost $16.xx
---he says that with the newer tow trucks, they would not be neccesary and would not attach there.
---there are only 3 parts dept's in the entire country that actually stock them. apparently that's miniscule, and to him reaffirmed the unimportance of the part in this day and age.
---the bolt specifically says 2010-2011, so he thinks it's unlikely that the older bolts will fit the new model.

so that's it. i guess i'll pass, and kick myself in the ass if i ever need it!

TSS
07-12-10, 03:19 PM
alright, i have some answers, straight from the horse's mouth-----

i just phoned my dealership's parts dept. they were completely unfamiliar with it, but looked it up. so some facts--

---they cost $16.xx
---he says that with the newer tow trucks, they would not be neccesary and would not attach there.
---there are only 3 parts dept's in the entire country that actually stock them. apparently that's miniscule, and to him reaffirmed the unimportance of the part in this day and age.
---the bolt specifically says 2010-2011, so he thinks it's unlikely that the older bolts will fit the new model.

so that's it. i guess i'll pass, and kick myself in the ass if i ever need it!

You were talking to a different part of the horse my friend. :eek:

This is not for tow trucks. It is for: You slide off the edge of the road in some snow and cannot get traction to get out. Mr. Friendly 4WD drives by and offers to pull you out. He pulls out his tow strap and starts looking for a place to hook it on to the underside or bumper of your SRX. He then tells you he cannot find anyplace to put the hook (that won't damage the vehicle). You remember the eye bolt, then kick yourself for not spending the 16 bucks as you call a tow truck, and then wait hours. Or, reverse the scenario: You are at your cottage and a friend gets stuck in some sand on the boat ramp and cannot get back up with his vehicle. He has a tow strap, and you want to help so you can get back to the lake and eat some ribs that are grilling. He hooks up his end, then you both start looking for a safe place to attach on your end. You kick yourself for not spending the 16 bucks. 95% chance you will never need it - just like jumper cables. But when you do, you cannot just borrow a tow hook like you can jumper cables.

KevinOpp
07-12-10, 08:01 PM
one final note for anyone that has been following this thread with any interest---i also found out today that there is a cover on the rear passenger side of the SRX for yet another tow bolt. i didn't believe it, but its true; all the way at the right side of the bumper is yet another cover. the service department had different parts numbers for the 2 bolts, so it is undetermined at this point if one bolt will fit both places, or if you would actually need to have two, one for the front and one for the back.

TSS
07-13-10, 08:21 AM
To add to the above, on the 04-09 SRX there was also a front and rear cover. However, one eye bolt worked for both (same size).