: What is "Air Sensitivity" in Config-->Vehicle-->Air quality

KevinOpp
07-06-10, 02:01 AM
i assume it's how accurately the auto climate control monitors and adjusts the temperature/fan speed/etc., but wanted to confirm. since there is Low and High options, i've had it on low, but tonight changed it to high for grins. i didn't notice any appreciable difference, but i was wondering if any one else has any more insight than i do, and whether it makes a dramatic difference between the 2 settings.

sube5186
07-06-10, 10:57 AM
I believe this controls the sensitivity of the air "filtering" capabilities. It's mentioned on page 4-42 of the manual, but their explanation is indeed lacking.

Sube

KevinOpp
07-06-10, 01:43 PM
I believe this controls the sensitivity of the air "filtering" capabilities. It's mentioned on page 4-42 of the manual, but their explanation is indeed lacking.

Sube
i'm just mouthing off, but i dunno if i buy that. who wouldn't want more filtering if they had a choice? it just doesn't sound like something that we would control. i like my idea better, but it's still only a guess. with my theory, if it's less sensitive, it allows more temperature variation, so the fans aren't always coming on and off at the slightest change. with more sensitive, it would stick really well to the set temperature, but you pay for that with constant changing of the fans and such.

my wife calls ideas like this "Kevy Theories". they sound great in theory, but i have absolutely no proof behind them other than my wandering mind.

Cadillac Tony
07-07-10, 12:17 AM
SRXs have an "air quality sensor" in the front grille that is designed to automatically switch your AC to the "recirculate" mode when it detects chemical odors (such as exhaust fumes). The recirculate mode uses the air already in the cabin instead of drawing outside air, so you're not forced to marinate in the exhaust fumes from the ratty car in front of you while you're stuck in traffic. Normally by the time you smell it and manually hit the recirc button, it's already too late.

The sensitivity setting just tells the car how quickly you want it to switch. If it's set to HIGH, you may notice excessive cycling between inside and outside air. Some people don't like that, and prefer to leave it in LOW where only the worst odors cause it to switch. Just remember that it can only detect chemical smells like gasoline or exhaust, so it won't flip over when you drive past a landfill or farm- you still need to do that yourself.

sube5186
07-07-10, 12:31 AM
Thanks Cadillac Tony for clearing that up for us. That's a nice feature.

Sube

Nichelle
07-07-10, 01:08 AM
I just learned something new. Thanks Tony!

KevinOpp
07-07-10, 01:28 AM
wow!! this car never stops getting more incredible by the day!!!

there goes another "Kevy Theory"............ ;)

since i live in the country, i'll keep mine on high. my reasoning is that i'm hardly ever behind any cars or trucks at all, so i shouldn't have any constant cycling issues. but when it does happen as i travel towards the Big City, i'll be fully prepared!!!!

stevec5375
07-07-10, 08:53 AM
SRXs have an "air quality sensor" in the front grille that is designed to automatically switch your AC to the "recirculate" mode when it detects chemical odors (such as exhaust fumes). The recirculate mode uses the air already in the cabin instead of drawing outside air, so you're not forced to marinate in the exhaust fumes from the ratty car in front of you while you're stuck in traffic. Normally by the time you smell it and manually hit the recirc button, it's already too late.

The sensitivity setting just tells the car how quickly you want it to switch. If it's set to HIGH, you may notice excessive cycling between inside and outside air. Some people don't like that, and prefer to leave it in LOW where only the worst odors cause it to switch. Just remember that it can only detect chemical smells like gasoline or exhaust, so it won't flip over when you drive past a landfill or farm- you still need to do that yourself.

Not to diverge from the topic.....but I thought this might be a good interjection.

One thing I learned in driver training class way back in my high school days is that you should stop far enough back from a vehicle in front of you such that you can see its rear wheels touching the pavement. This helps alleviate several potential problems:

1. If the car in front of you dies, you can get out from behind it with ease.
2. If the car in front of you is on a steep hill, it won't roll back and hit you as easily.
3. Their exhaust dissipates more, rather than being directly blown right into the front grill of your car and thus easily drawn into the cabin.

Don't you just hate it when someone pulls right up behind you so closely that you can't even see the grill of their car? I'm always concerned that their foot might slip off the brake and they'll roll into my rear bumper and scuff it up.

krbaron
07-07-10, 08:28 PM

So you don't have your manual setting on recirculate for this feature to work? I like to start mine up with recirculation mode 'on', especially when it is 100 degrees (or 0 deg F) outside. It heats and cools much quicker. I view the heating/cooling system much like the furnace in my house. Is the "outdoor air" an option that should be used when the windows/skylight are open?

bobarry
07-11-10, 08:30 PM
Thanks so much for the full explanation of this feature! I really appreciate it.

Bo
Concord, NC

bobarry
07-11-10, 08:31 PM
Thanks so much for the full explanation of this feature! I really appreciate it.

Bo
Concord, NC

stevec5375
07-11-10, 08:34 PM
So you don't have your manual setting on recirculate for this feature to work? I like to start mine up with recirculation mode 'on', especially when it is 100 degrees (or 0 deg F) outside. It heats and cools much quicker. I view the heating/cooling system much like the furnace in my house. Is the "outdoor air" an option that should be used when the windows/skylight are open?

If you have the SRX on Auto for the A/C setting, you will get the recirculation setting when you first start up the car when it's really hot in the cabin. No need to do it manually. Then when it cools off, the car will switch to normal fresh air from the outside provided the "Air Sensitivity" features isn't in control.

sube5186
07-11-10, 09:44 PM
If you have the SRX on Auto for the A/C setting, you will get the recirculation setting when you first start up the car when it's really hot in the cabin. No need to do it manually. Then when it cools off, the car will switch to normal fresh air from the outside provided the "Air Sensitivity" features isn't in control.

Yeah, but I noticed neither button lights up in "Auto" mode, so you have to guess which setting the car selected. :hmm: Whose bright idea was this?

Sube

KevinOpp
07-11-10, 09:57 PM
Yeah, but I noticed neither button lights up in "Auto" mode, so you have to guess which setting the car selected. :hmm: Whose bright idea was this?

Sube
i agree, but in my experience, it always seems to be on recirc, since when i press "fresh air", the fan almost always dies down to a much quieter level. and that's been with air sensitivity on low and high. but i have to say, it HAS been mostly pretty hot in my neck of the woods for the past month that i've had the car, so maybe that's why it's alwyas on recirc. in automatic.

anyway sube, point is that since we can't tell from the display or buttons, you can hit the fresh or recirc and still know what the car was doing previously by listening to the fan noise and what it does.

sube5186
07-11-10, 10:07 PM
Anyway sube, point is that since we can't tell from the display or buttons, you can hit the fresh or recirc and still know what the car was doing previously by listening to the fan noise and what it does.

Good point. I almost always prefer "recirc" anyway. I just like the increased fan output. I can never be too cold. :penguin2: :xgrin:

Sube

KevinOpp
07-11-10, 10:17 PM
Good point. I almost always prefer "recirc" anyway. I just like the increased fan output. I can never be too cold. :penguin2: :xgrin:

Sube
oh whatever!!! you already made me jealous that you have the cooled seats!!!!!! i'm already so jealous of that!!!! not only am i always hot too, but i'm on medication that makes it even worse. i'm usually soaked by the time i get from the house to the car.

and honestly, i'm slightly disappointed by the car's fan power. my 14 year old 4Runner beats the pants off of the Caddy in terms of fan strength. another thing that i've noticed is that my 4Runner has much more directional vents, so i can point one towards my face and literally have my hair blown back. that would never happen in the SRX, which seems to have a more diffuse air flow. i guess that's probably better in the long run for the auto settings (which the 4runner doesn't have), but really frustrating when you're super hot and are just trying to cool down. i'm not joking when i say that the 4Runner on fresh air blows harder than the SRX on recirc.

sube5186
07-11-10, 10:21 PM
oh whatever!!! you already made me jealous that you have the cooled seats!!!!!! i'm already so jealous of that!!!!

That's OK Kevin. While I'm chillin' with my ventilated seats, you can blow my doors off with your turbo. I think that makes us even. :D

Sube

KevinOpp
07-11-10, 10:26 PM
lol!

2010sled
07-12-10, 10:13 AM
dose nit work for a nasty fart:histeric:

Grizz262
08-16-10, 03:33 PM
Not to diverge from the topic.....but I thought this might be a good interjection.

One thing I learned in driver training class way back in my high school days is that you should stop far enough back from a vehicle in front of you such that you can see its rear wheels touching the pavement. This helps alleviate several potential problems:

1. If the car in front of you dies, you can get out from behind it with ease.
2. If the car in front of you is on a steep hill, it won't roll back and hit you as easily.
3. Their exhaust dissipates more, rather than being directly blown right into the front grill of your car and thus easily drawn into the cabin.

Don't you just hate it when someone pulls right up behind you so closely that you can't even see the grill of their car? I'm always concerned that their foot might slip off the brake and they'll roll into my rear bumper and scuff it up.

#4 reason (if I may) is that after 30 years of Law Enforcement, standing behind at that distance will allow you to drive off quicker if someone intentionlly taps your rear end, in order to approach you to commit a robbery or car jacking using the "accident" as a pretense to approach you. This is not too common, however, not uncommon in the major city where I live and work.