: Fail-safe?

suprego123
07-05-10, 10:32 PM
Does anyone know if the 07 Escalade has the "fail-safe" cooling system in case of a complete loss of coolant. The 2000 Navigator can switch to "air-cool" while alternating the two banks of cylinders when there is a complete loss of coolant, and it can be driven for 50 or 60 miles or so. Just want to be sure because the summer season is already here.

North49
07-06-10, 01:28 AM
Does anyone know if the 07 Escalade has the "fail-safe" cooling system in case of a complete loss of coolant. The 2000 Navigator can switch to "air-cool" while alternating the two banks of cylinders when there is a complete loss of coolant, and it can be driven for 50 or 60 miles or so. Just want to be sure because the summer season is already here.

I have not heard of this option on the Escalades or any GM product.

SouthernCaddy
07-06-10, 08:39 PM
I work on fords and have never seen this. I dont know of a ford that can run without coolent, and none of them are Air-cooled. We have a navigator at work and it cant do it. We know the truck ran hot and busted the heads. It is a 2003 model though. we also found out that if you put 2 different size tires on it the truck will not move.....Something to do with the AWD system.

Robert (GA)
07-06-10, 09:54 PM
My 02 Towncar has this feature. According to the owners manual so does my 09 ESV.
Page 6-33 09 ESV Owners Manual
Overheated Engine Protection
Operating Mode
If an overheated engine condition exists and the ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED message is displayed, an overheat protection mode which alternates firing groups of cylinders helps prevent engine damage.
In this mode, you will notice a loss in power and engine performance. This operating mode allows the vehicle to be driven to a safe place in an emergency. Driving extended miles (km) and/or towing a trailer in the overheat protection mode should be avoided.
Notice: After driving in the overheated engine protection operating mode, to avoid engine damage, allow the engine to cool before attempting any repair. The engine oil will be severely degraded. Repair the cause of coolant loss, change the oil and reset the oil life system. See Engine Oil on page 6-15.

North49
07-06-10, 11:26 PM
My 02 Towncar has this feature. According to the owners manual so does my 09 ESV.
Page 6-33 09 ESV Owners Manual
Overheated Engine Protection
Operating Mode
If an overheated engine condition exists and the ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED message is displayed, an overheat protection mode which alternates firing groups of cylinders helps prevent engine damage.
In this mode, you will notice a loss in power and engine performance. This operating mode allows the vehicle to be driven to a safe place in an emergency. Driving extended miles (km) and/or towing a trailer in the overheat protection mode should be avoided.
Notice: After driving in the overheated engine protection operating mode, to avoid engine damage, allow the engine to cool before attempting any repair. The engine oil will be severely degraded. Repair the cause of coolant loss, change the oil and reset the oil life system. See Engine Oil on page 6-15.

Yes as a fail safe to to plain overheating problem that may be caused by a clogged or blocked rad. The usual causes like a thermostat that is stuck closed or a hole in the rad or a hose that leads to loss of coolant will still cook your motor and render it useless. Especially these complete Aluminum configurations.

hcvone
07-07-10, 07:24 AM
Most cars/trucks that can turn cylinders on and off have this feature, although many times you may have engine damage if this happens, or at least on the cars we have seen.