: Getting Kuhmos tomorrow $923 out the door!

rdonato
07-05-10, 09:13 PM
Discount Tire matched everything I could find online for the Kuhmo Ectas and threw in the road hazard certificates for $923.84 installed and out the door!

Will let everyone know if I'm happy with them. I don't track my V so I want comfort, quiet, and longevity compared to the PS2s.

Mikevette
07-05-10, 10:17 PM
I put Kumos on my 04 Zo6 when my GY runcraps wore out and was happy. They hooked like the GY and lasted a lot longer also. Nice ride couldn't notice any lose of grip when pushing the Z in cornors. Saved some seriouse cash also. When my PS2 wear out I'm looking to go with Kumpos also. Look forward to hear you results and how V reacts when pushed in a hard turn with these new shoes!

Mike P. :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
07-05-10, 10:34 PM
Can anyone in this thread actually spell KUMHO?

I don't even buy the tires yet I can spell them... :D

chiro444
07-05-10, 10:39 PM
The Kumhos rated very well in a recent tire test by Car and Driver. How many miles did your oem tires last?

rdonato
07-05-10, 11:36 PM
I'm on 22k miles with just everyday driving but I'm about bald and probably pushed them way too far. It's rainy season and I need more grip and when the PS2's start to bald they are much much more loud!

baabootoo
07-06-10, 12:54 AM
The MXs or XSs?

rdonato
07-06-10, 01:30 AM
SPT's

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+SPT&frontTire=54YR9KU31XL&rearTire=835YR9KU31&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Cadillac&autoYear=2009&autoModel=CTS-V&autoModClar=

CTSVeee
07-06-10, 04:44 PM
SPTs are the runflats, correct? I had them on my C6 Vette.

rdonato
07-08-10, 06:49 PM
Update:

The Kuhmo's have taken all week to get in and still not here. Discount Tire gave me a deal on the Continental ExtremeContact DW for $120 more so I took it! Should be here Tuesday! I think they are better tires overall and especially for that discounted price. Tirerack has them for $1030 w/o shipping and I'm getting the Continental installed for $1044.

Razorecko
07-08-10, 08:44 PM
we should have a tire thread going on...i just got my potenza re-11's in

mannyz
07-08-10, 09:39 PM
Yep. Most of us are inthe market for cheaper but good tires that are capable of being pushed around and still perform well.

Razorecko
07-08-10, 10:23 PM
^ especially any tire that can handle the rain yet provide better grip than the ps2's

thebigjimsho
07-09-10, 01:37 AM
We have a 556hp, 4200lb sedan. Have fun with your max grip numbers. I'd rather have near max grip with a sidewall that lets you know exactly what the car is doing.

I guess numbers rule all...

Kadonny
07-09-10, 09:19 AM
We have a 556hp, 4200lb sedan. Have fun with your max grip numbers. I'd rather have near max grip with a sidewall that lets you know exactly what the car is doing.

I guess numbers rule all...

Not sure what you are saying Jim. Are you a fan of the PS2s? That's what it sounds like to me.

I am a huge fan of the PS2s, but you have to factor in the wear and the price. With that in mind, I think there are better options.

I personally am trying the Hankooks. I put them on yesterday, set the pressure to 31/32 cold and so far I like them. I'll give another opinion after I get to push them a little bit.

PGA2B
07-09-10, 02:40 PM
Not sure what you are saying Jim. Are you a fan of the PS2s? That's what it sounds like to me.

I am a huge fan of the PS2s, but you have to factor in the wear and the price. With that in mind, I think there are better options.

I personally am trying the Hankooks. I put them on yesterday, set the pressure to 31/32 cold and so far I like them. I'll give another opinion after I get to push them a little bit.

I have had them on my STS-V for 2K miles and absolutely love them. I run mine at 28 psi cold rear and 30 psi cold front. Once they heat up they ride at 30-31psi rear and 33-34psi front. I know there are substantial differences in the STS-V and the 09+ CTS-V but I still would recommend them to anyone.

CTS-Vee
07-09-10, 11:02 PM
Kumho's are good. The Ecsta's have pretty good grip in the rain too.

thebigjimsho
07-10-10, 02:08 AM

I don't begrudge anyone from trying different tires. Feedback is always good. But to have guys test tires who have a myriad of track experience from most of us schlubs who couldn't threshold brake worth a damn, a tire that communicates well and handles well is better than just max grip...

ledfut
07-29-10, 05:13 PM
I'm at 26300 on the originals - must not have had enough fun! But I'm due so watching this thread.

mugatu22
07-29-10, 05:17 PM
I'm at 26300 on the originals - must not have had enough fun! But I'm due so watching this thread.

Your name is an utter lie.

CTSVeee
07-29-10, 05:19 PM
Your name is an utter lie.
:histeric:

Caddyscat
07-29-10, 05:24 PM
we should have a tire thread going on...i just got my potenza re-11's in

What did you do for the fronts? I know the RE-11's don't come in 255/40/19.

Razorecko
07-29-10, 07:20 PM
What did you do for the fronts? I know the RE-11's don't come in 255/40/19.

I have a thread on them. 265/35/19 is what i have on the fronts

Caddyscat
07-29-10, 08:22 PM
Ahhh, okay. I was considering the different size but decided against it. I'll check your post!

Cub Cadet
07-30-10, 12:33 PM
What size tires did you get? The stock size tires are too narrow for the wheel and look like they are stretched to get them on the wheel.
So far it looks like the best combination is a 265 wide tire up front and a 305 wide tire in the rear. I wish a 275 fit on the front... the 265 still looks too narrow for the wheel.

gritz45
07-30-10, 04:34 PM
My rears were getting slick at 13,500mi. Fronts were still good, could have likely gone another 5-6K on them. I replaced them with Toyo Proxes T1R's. So far they are excellent. We have had nothing but rain around here for the last week or so and they are really good in the wet. Seem to perform similar to the PS2's in the dry. I had a set of Proxes 4's on my 300C SRT-8 and loved them, far superior to the factory GY Supercar's. Time will tell, but so far at a savings of about $700 I am happy with the Toyo's.

thebigjimsho
07-31-10, 01:31 PM
What size tires did you get? The stock size tires are too narrow for the wheel and look like they are stretched to get them on the wheel.
So far it looks like the best combination is a 265 wide tire up front and a 305 wide tire in the rear. I wish a 275 fit on the front... the 265 still looks too narrow for the wheel.

Honestly, you keep with this shtick that is WRONG. Tire sidewall construction makes the PS2 communicate as well as they do...and look like they do. They are designed to bow like that. They are not too narrow for the wheel and are closer to being on the wide side of the wheel...

JFJr
07-31-10, 01:46 PM
I am currently running a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position RFT's (run-flats) on my "V." While I would have preferred the Michelin PS2 ZP's, they weren't offered for the fronts. I don't find the Bridgestones any harsher than the PS2's and while I don't track my car, they seem to hold the road equally well, have better turn-in, are great in the rain and have a higher wear rating, not to mention the extra convenience of not having to deal with the "inflator kit" in the trunk if I have a flat on a business trip.

Jud

lbenoit
07-31-10, 07:59 PM
I can not find the Potenza RE050A Pole Position RFT in OEM sizes for the CTS-V. Tire Rack shows only two RFT sizes are available -- where did you find these?

JFJr
07-31-10, 08:20 PM
They weren't available from the Tire Rack, so I had my Cadillac dealer order them from a Bridgestone dealer and install them. Check out the Bridgestone site.

Jud

lbenoit
08-02-10, 08:45 AM
FYI -- I searched the Bridgestone USA website using the tire name and tire sizing search options and could not find the Potenza RE050A Pole Position in the RFT version in OEM sizes for the CTS-V. The specificication sheet lists a fairly large number of OEM RFT/MOE sizes for BMW and Mecerdes, but I had no luck finding them in sizes for the CTS-V. Incidentally the RFT/MOE version has UTQG of only 140 AA A.

A few years ago I had my dealer replace a damaged Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP on a 2003 Corvette and a couple of weeks after the new tire was installed I discovered that it was not a ZP (Zero Pressure) version. Needless to say they replaced it with the correct tire with no charge to me, except the inconvenience.

Perhaps the Bridgestone website is inaccurate or incomplete or they formerly made the RE050A RFT in the corrrect sizes for the CTS-V, but you might want to check the sidewall of your tires to make sure you in fact are riding on RFT tires.

They weren't available from the Tire Rack, so I had my Cadillac dealer order them from a Bridgestone dealer and install them. Check out the Bridgestone site.

Jud

JFJr
08-02-10, 09:27 AM
Hmm! I saved the prior chart on my computer and the title at the top has "RFT" in the tire name, above the tire information, but the current chart on the website doesn't have "RFT" in the tire name at the top. That's not good and I need to do a little investigation. My dealership assured me that the tires were run-flats, but now I'm suspicious. Thanks for the heads up.

Jud

JFJr
08-02-10, 11:33 AM
FYI -- I searched the Bridgestone USA website using the tire name and tire sizing search options and could not find the Potenza RE050A Pole Position in the RFT version in OEM sizes for the CTS-V. The specificication sheet lists a fairly large number of OEM RFT/MOE sizes for BMW and Mecerdes, but I had no luck finding them in sizes for the CTS-V. Incidentally the RFT/MOE version has UTQG of only 140 AA A.

A few years ago I had my dealer replace a damaged Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP on a 2003 Corvette and a couple of weeks after the new tire was installed I discovered that it was not a ZP (Zero Pressure) version. Needless to say they replaced it with the correct tire with no charge to me, except the inconvenience.

Perhaps the Bridgestone website is inaccurate or incomplete or they formerly made the RE050A RFT in the corrrect sizes for the CTS-V, but you might want to check the sidewall of your tires to make sure you in fact are riding on RFT tires.My service ticket is no help. I need to do some further investigation. Sorry about the repetitive reply, but the first one didn't show up until now. New site glitches?

Jud

Razorecko
08-02-10, 04:08 PM
My Re-11's are pretty darn stick. Jesse/w4me can attest to that.