: Are last-played Favorites remembered after shutdown?

stevec5375
07-05-10, 06:13 PM
Forgive me if either the manual or a previous post addresses this but I couldn't find anything.

I recently reordered all my Favorites on the Radio. Basically, I just resaved them to different locations. I could have sworn that before I did this, the car would remember the last favorite I had played when I turned it off and would recall that station when I restarted it.

But today, I noticed that it always seems to start up with Fav 1 as the choice even if that wasn't my last selected Fav.

Does your SRX remember the last Fav you selected between restarts? If so, is this Fav in position one of any given page?

sube5186
07-05-10, 07:40 PM
Forgive me if either the manual or a previous post addresses this but I couldn't find anything.

I recently reordered all my Favorites on the Radio. Basically, I just resaved them to different locations. I could have sworn that before I did this, the car would remember the last favorite I had played when I turned it off and would recall that station when I restarted it.

But today, I noticed that it always seems to start up with Fav 1 as the choice even if that wasn't my last selected Fav.

Does your SRX remember the last Fav you selected between restarts? If so, is this Fav in position one of any given page?

It should remember the last radio station "period", whether it's a Fav or not. If yours is continuously starting with Fav 1, this is not normal.

Sube

stevec5375
07-07-10, 07:45 AM
It should remember the last radio station "period", whether it's a Fav or not. If yours is continuously starting with Fav 1, this is not normal.

Sube

It used to remember the last station. I took it in to have the A/C checked and the driver's side chrome strip replaced for the 2nd time. They kept it overnight. After I got it back, I decided to rearrange my Favorites. When I shut off the car and immediately start it back up, the last played favorite is remembered. However, when I got in the car this morning after it sat unused all night, it had reverted back to Page 1, Favorite 1. My last selection before turning it off was Page 1, Favorite 4.

Taking this car to the dealer reminds me of that story of the little boy and the dike. When the dike started leaking the little boy put his finger in the hole to stop it. Then, another holes pops out somewhere else. Pretty soon, he ran out of fingers and guess what?

TheCaptain
07-07-10, 09:24 AM

Taking this car to the dealer reminds me of that story of the little boy and the dike. When the dike started leaking the little boy put his finger in the hole to stop it. Then, another holes pops out somewhere else. Pretty soon, he ran out of fingers and guess what?

He called somebody that could properly fix it? :confused:

stevec5375
07-07-10, 09:44 AM
He called somebody that could properly fix it? :confused:

Before I would entertain taking this car back to the dealer, I think it would be in my best interested to debug when the car actually loses the memory of the last selected channel. Strange that it remembers if right after a shutdown followed by a restart. But after it sits for SOME PERIOD OF TIME (what period of time?) is when this happens.

It's also strange that this turns up right after I get the car back from the dealer yet none of the paperwork I have said anything about any software updates being applied. Maybe that is unrelated but it has me wondering what happened.

SRX Cool
07-07-10, 11:40 AM
Maybe the dealer disconnected the battery when they were servicing the car, and this would result in the loss of memory.

stevec5375
07-07-10, 01:19 PM
Maybe the dealer disconnected the battery when they were servicing the car, and this would result in the loss of memory.

I don't follow you. The Favorites weren't lost it just won't remember the last one I choose when I shut off the car.

Also, I've noticed now when I hit the Nav button I get that big screen of text with the OK button in the lower right corner. Every single time! :banghead:

krbaron
07-07-10, 06:56 PM
I don't follow you. The Favorites weren't lost it just won't remember the last one I choose when I shut off the car.

Also, I've noticed now when I hit the Nav button I get that big screen of text with the OK button in the lower right corner. Every single time! :banghead:

It sounds as if you've had the encounter with the service technician that likes to mess with your car settings! Get out your manual and go back to the config menu. I'll bet one of your settings was changed. I won't go back to the dealer that I purchased mine from because the technicians touch EVERYTHING, treat your car like ?!^% (and get the interior dirty), and the Service Manager defends them.

stevec5375
07-07-10, 07:58 PM
It sounds as if you've had the encounter with the service technician that likes to mess with your car settings! Get out your manual and go back to the config menu. I'll bet one of your settings was changed. I won't go back to the dealer that I purchased mine from because the technicians touch EVERYTHING, treat your car like ?!^% (and get the interior dirty), and the Service Manager defends them.

Been there. Done that. I went over the config with a fine-toothed comb. I can't find a thing wrong there and that should not have anything to do with the radio not remembering the last station it was on.

krbaron
07-07-10, 08:09 PM
Perhaps you do require a software update?

stevec5375
07-07-10, 08:39 PM
Perhaps you do require a software update?

You'll note earlier in this thread that everything was working fine until I took my car in for service just last week. They did something to screw it up.

I'm about at my wits end with these incompetents. When I get my Cadillac survey on their service dept. it ain't gonna be pretty.

stevec5375
07-08-10, 05:13 PM
Took my SRX to the dealership today and explained the issue to them. They looked puzzled and said they have never heard of this problem. The only thing they offered to do was look through their bulletins to see if they could find any mention of it. My experience tells me that I'll never hear about it again from them.

krbaron
07-08-10, 06:19 PM
You'll note earlier in this thread that everything was working fine until I took my car in for service just last week. They did something to screw it up.

I'm about at my wits end with these incompetents. When I get my Cadillac survey on their service dept. it ain't gonna be pretty.

I wonder if you go to the same Dealer as I bought mine from because the service department is soooo bad that I will never take it back there again. I found one that deals in ONLY Cadillacs, so that's where I'll be going.

stevec5375
07-08-10, 09:18 PM
I wonder if you go to the same Dealer as I bought mine from because the service department is soooo bad that I will never take it back there again. I found one that deals in ONLY Cadillacs, so that's where I'll be going.

My dealership has the monopoly in Austin, TX. I may be making a trip to San Antonio if I don't get satisfaction on this. And, it will be my LAST Cadillac purchase.

stevec5375
07-09-10, 07:56 PM
I contacted Cadillac Customer Service about this today. They are investigating and will get back to me. I'll keep you all posted on the outcome.

stevec5375
07-17-10, 04:04 PM
After further investigation, I have found that not only does the radio loose the last station played after the car has been off for more than 10 minutes (RAP, Retained Accessory Power period expires), the Nav looses the last city/state entered and goes back to it's factory default of Washington, D.C.

I have been talking to GM Customer Assistance about this and have been less than impressed. All we manage to do is play voice mail tag.

My dealer says they have not touched the car's programming. How weird is that?

Smokin' SRX
07-19-10, 11:52 AM
Just a thought.........if u don't mind risking loosing and needing to re-load any Fav's and addresses, failing any other remedy other than re-visiting the Dealer, pull the RADIO/NAV Fuse. Wait 20 minutes or longer, and then re- insert. ( sorry, mine gets picked up tomorrow so I haven't seen the fuse box location yet) This often re-boots basic parameters/commands.

This is a common electronic event when batteries are disconnected from equipment, as yours may have been during that recent service.
Good luck!

SS

Smokin' SRX
07-19-10, 12:09 PM
Afterthought...............most new radios need a identification code to re-start a radio that looses power for more than a few minutes. (helps lower theft incentive) Usually it came with my new vehicle paperwork. You may want to check for it first or just pull the fuse for 1 minute only. The internal capacitor should retain your memory but may also re-flash the command menu solving your problem.
I just called my Cadillac service tech and he said yes, you will need the theft code that came with your SRX!

Good luck!

SS

stevec5375
07-19-10, 02:51 PM
Afterthought...............most new radios need a identification code to re-start a radio that looses power for more than a few minutes. (helps lower theft incentive) Usually it came with my new vehicle paperwork. You may want to check for it first or just pull the fuse for 1 minute only. The internal capacitor should retain your memory but may also re-flash the command menu solving your problem.
I just called my Cadillac service tech and he said yes, you will need the theft code that came with your SRX!

Good luck!

SS

Thanks for your info. I finally heard back from Cadillac Customer Assistance and they said the service manager from my dealership will call me to set up an appointment to look at this.

I went through every piece of paperwork I got when I bought the car and can find no theft code. Where do I find this?

stevec5375
07-21-10, 05:02 PM
Dropped the car off at the dealership on the way home from work. Gave them a printout with detailed instructions on how to reproduce both problems. I'm hoping they can fix it without screwing up something else on the car. (Fingers crossed.)

stevec5375
07-22-10, 04:59 PM
Got a report from the dealership. They have reproduced both problems I reported. HURRAY! Now they need to keep the car another day while they "confer" with the technical people at GM to find out how to fix it. Maybe I'll get a nice present for the weekend and get it back all 100% fixed. That would be wonderful!

stevec5375
07-23-10, 06:03 PM
Picked up the car from the dealership today. They could not fix it via programming and have ordered a whole new unit which is due in Mon/Tue.

stevec5375
07-28-10, 05:13 PM
I haven't heard a peep out of the dealership about where my new Radio system is. I was told it would be here Mon/Tue but I guess that didn't happen. It wouldn't surprise me if next week has arrived and still no word. I'll most likely end up having to call Cadillac Customer Assistance again.

stevec5375
07-29-10, 05:08 PM
Still no word on replacing my Radio/Nav unit. Contacted Sewell Cadillac in Dallas and explained the problems to them. They are going to research and get back to me. Contacted Cadillac Customer Assistance and lit a fire under their backside. Once they get your money, they don't seem to give a damn. What a shame that GM treats people like this.

stevec5375
07-30-10, 01:25 PM
I got tired of waiting on the Austin dealer to call me back so I drove down to San Antonio to one of their dealers this morning. Wow! What a difference! This dealership treated me like royalty. I had the service advisor, the service manager, and one of the owning partners all talking to me about my problem. The short of it is, there is bulletin # PIT4998B describes my problem(s) and is fixed by replacing the radio. I found this out in a matter of 30 minutes.

About the time I was going to get a loaner and leave my car, the Austin dealership called me on my cell phone to tell me my new radio had come in. This, of course, comes on the heels of me calling Cadillac Customer Assistance last night and escalating the issue. So I told the nice people in San Antonio that since Austin had the radio in house now that I would take my car back to them and let them replace it.

The BIG question I have is why didn't the Austin dealership know about this bulletin 3 weeks ago when I first took the car to them? Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I'll just "assume" that the bulletin is recent and they didn't have access to it at the time. Ahem.

Perhaps by Tuesday of next week, this will be over and my car will be whole again. Here's hoping!

I still love my SRX. I just wish we had a dealership here in town like what I experienced this morning in San Antonio. What a breath of fresh air.

xrs01
07-30-10, 02:03 PM
...so I drove down to San Antonio to one of their dealers this morning. Wow! What a difference! This dealership treated me like royalty... ...What a breath of fresh air.

We'll make the assumption that you visited the Sewell dealership in San Antonio (Ken Batchelor).

Their motto:

Sewell. Obsessed with service since 1911.

stevec5375
07-30-10, 04:05 PM
For future reference to those who may be or already are afflicted with this problem, here's the text of the bulletin from competent dealerships in Dallas and San Antonio. The problems I was having are bolded.
--------------------------------------------------------

#PIT4998B: Clock Concerns - Inaccurate GPS Location - Unwanted Radio Performance After An Ignition Cycle - (Jul 27, 2010)

Subject: Clock Concerns, Inaccurate GPS location, Unwanted Radio Performance After An Ignition Cycle

Models: 2010 Buick Lacrosse

2010 Cadillac SRX

2010 Chevrolet Equinox

2010 GMC Terrain

With UYS navigation radio

------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------

This PI was superseded to add keywords and change subject line. Please discard PIT4998A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the
symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain of any of the following concerns related to the clock. This information applies to the UYS navigation radio.

The clock may reset to 12:00.
The clock is inaccurate.
Unable to adjust the hour and/or minutes on the clock.
Location resets to Washington DC every ignition cycle (corrected once GPS signal is received).
Last audio source is lost after ignition cycle - Defaults back to FM preset For example user was listening to CD. Turned off vehicle and waited 10 minutes. Turned on vehicle and now FM playing.
"I Agree" screen is displayed every ignition cycle.

These can be caused by an internal failure in the radio.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Replace the radio to fix this concern.

Please follow the latest version of PIT4911 for instructions on ordering the UYS Navigation radio.

Record the following information: Radio PN, Application Version, and Database Version.

This information can be accessed by selecting the "Nav" tab at the top of the radio screen. Scroll down and select "Map Database Information".

(Example: Application Version U2D2 Database Version V 20.08.16)

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

stevec5375
07-30-10, 07:13 PM
We'll make the assumption that you visited the Sewell dealership in San Antonio (Ken Batchelor).

Their motto:

Sewell. Obsessed with service since 1911.

You are correct. It was Ken Batchelor Cadillac in San Antonio. I know that some on here think I just like to bitch. Let me just say that I wrote a VERY NICE email to them extolling their virtues on diagnosing this problem in less than 30 minutes. When someone does a good job, I go out of my way to pat them on the back and make sure their management knows. This dealership will surely get more of my business even if it means I have to drive 90 minutes out of my way.

stevec5375
08-02-10, 07:29 PM
Dropped my car off at the Austin dealer today to get the radio/Nav replaced with a new one as prescribed by the bulletin. I hope when I pick it up tomorrow that everything is back to working correctly.

stevec5375
08-03-10, 06:10 PM
Picked up the car today. So far so good. The real test will be when I go get in it tomorrow morning and see that everything is remembered appropriately.

stevec5375
08-05-10, 01:26 PM
Case closed. The new Radio/Nav fixed all my issues.

Smokin' SRX
08-06-10, 10:03 AM
Glad they fixed it!

TheCaptain
08-06-10, 10:46 AM
Good news all around!

algiorda
08-06-10, 12:35 PM
Woo Hoo!!! Glad to hear it.

Any lessons learned from this experience? (as I duck for cover! lol)

stevec5375
08-06-10, 03:14 PM
Woo Hoo!!! Glad to hear it.

Any lessons learned from this experience? (as I duck for cover! lol)

Yes. I will contact the San Antonio dealer first next time I have a problem similar to this. The local dealership seems challenged and doesn't follow through when they tell me they will research something. Perhaps they are underpaid, overworked, understaffed or some combination of these. However, it doesn't bode well for the customer interface.

The other lesson I learned is I'm probably better off with an Infiniti next time around. I've had 3 and had no issues whatsoever. (now, I'll duck for cover). :)

algiorda
08-06-10, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't give up on the SRX just yet. I had a 2004 SRX and had similar issues to iron out, but once they were, the car was reliable and trouble free for 6 years. Cadilllac stands by their vehicles and I have no insecurity they will do the right thing.

chenet72
04-02-12, 12:16 PM
stevec5375 I am having the exact same problem. I listen to music on the hard drive and the next time I get in the radio is on. In addition I always have to change the navigation state from Washington DC. I am taking the car in for service. Did you upload any music to the hard drive? I am trying to find out if the massive amount of music I have uploaded will be transferred or if I have to start over from scratch.....not an appealing option!