: Brake suggestions / question

jaxctv
07-05-10, 04:29 PM
I've owned our V for about 6 months, now with 5000 miles. Bought it from Superior Cadillac (great deal). We use it 100% on the road for routine driving, rather than a track.

I've noticed the initial braking feels a bit soft, without in my opinion an ideal initial bite in. Seems from searching posts, some others folks have noticed the same. Our dealer checked it out, said all looked fine.

I'm not sure if stainless brake lines would help. Seems many noticed no difference.

Perhaps brake pads that have a bit more of an initial bite are available?. Also, hoping to find some with same or less dust, and no significant squealing (it's a daily driver). Some folks mentioned Hawk ceramic pads were nice, though actually a bit small in size, leaving a rust ring?
Others mentioned HPS pads.
Any suggestions for better a better initial bite when street braking?

Did the correct size Hawk Ceramic pads ever became available.

Thanks

dqw1
07-05-10, 04:38 PM
Yes, HAWK now has the correct sized ceramic brakes. I've had mine on for about 10 days. Way less dust and the stopping power seems the same as stocks. I'm satisfied with them.

cbloveday
07-05-10, 06:28 PM
If you change pads, try some steal braided brake lines too. D3 sells them s well as zeckhausen. Really helps.

baabootoo
07-05-10, 11:58 PM
I have some Ceramics from Autozone I'm waiting to try in a few weeks. Only $65 and a lifetime warranty too! Remember, Cadillacs are made for old ladies so maybe you'll have to just get used to it.

rdonato
07-11-10, 09:20 PM
Ignorant question...what is the process to change the brake lines? Does it require bleeding or is it a simple remove old one and replace with new ones?

baabootoo
07-12-10, 12:02 AM
Yes, if you open the system, then you need to bleed them. Why bother? Those stainless lines are for outer protection only and our are fine until they become soft/worn.

Moparman4444
07-12-10, 12:25 PM
I agree that the stock pads produce an unacceptable amount of dust and stopping is acceptable but should be much better for their size. I would like to find a good ceramic pad that stops the car 20-30% better. If anyone has ang positive experiance with good pads I would love to hear of your results.