: lowering a 1980 hearse

dennyartist
07-05-10, 01:14 PM
got an 1980 hearse i want to lower it. what is the best way ? parts? and the long shot question. dropped front solid Axel. would look so good but wo the work

jayoldschool
07-05-10, 03:12 PM
Any lowering springs listed for the 94-96 Impala SS will work in your hearse. A solid front axle, not so much. That would actually raise the front end. Not to mention the custom welding for mounts, the fabrication of steering, etc ;)

The-Dullahan
07-05-10, 03:13 PM
It can't be that hard to redo your suspension and you can probably lessen your springs and/or shocks. That should help do the trick. A simple bit of modification, if not a bit costly. The only thing is if you want to keep it low, I'd put an adjustable air suspension on it (Not necessarily Lowrider style, but you get the gist) because that long wheelbase being set too low will give you issues going over the crests of some hills or even speedbumps and broken exhaust pipes aren't fun. Even on my '87 which is at standard height, I have had issues where I have had to off-road AROUND speedbumps, because my car would have smashed the exhaust going over them.

So...uh...Photos?

gillianwhittaker@xtr
07-05-10, 05:24 PM
Any lowering springs listed for the 94-96 Impala SS will work in your hearse. A solid front axle, not so much. That would actually raise the front end. Not to mention the custom welding for mounts, the fabrication of steering, etc ;)

Does that apply to most 80' s broughams too Jay ???

MIKE

The-Dullahan
07-05-10, 05:44 PM
Does that apply to most 80' s broughams too Jay ???

MIKE

Not to stand in for Jay, because he is far more knowledgeable than I, but yes. It does. The Impala springs will fit your Brougham as well.

gillianwhittaker@xtr
07-07-10, 11:59 PM
Not to stand in for Jay, because he is far more knowledgeable than I, but yes. It does. The Impala springs will fit your Brougham as well.

The Dullahan,
Tx --just got that opinion on another thread from Stingroo too --so impala springs it is
very exciting potential result for little ouitlay
cheers
mike

The-Dullahan
07-08-10, 02:40 AM
Yeah, Sting is the man.

gillianwhittaker@xtr
07-09-10, 05:12 PM

Jay,

Need some clarification pls.
You say lowering springs for an ss .Someone else says just standard ss springs ??
Say for a 2" drop on my 86 brougham .what would you recommend ??
tx
mike

jayoldschool
07-09-10, 05:34 PM
Ok, I'll try and clarify. Using stock SS springs will give you a bit of a drop. See the pic of csbuckn's car for example. Might be around 2". There are other choices, but they might be too much drop for you. Vogtland, Eibach, Intrax, and ST all make lowering springs that will be lower than the SS stock height. Eibach also has a Caprice lowering spring that might be a good choice since the Caprice is close to the Cad in stock form. If it were me, I would try out a set of stock used SS springs. Cheap, and easy to come across.

gillianwhittaker@xtr
07-09-10, 05:42 PM
Ok, I'll try and clarify. Using stock SS springs will give you a bit of a drop. See the pic of csbuckn's car for example. Might be around 2". There are other choices, but they might be too much drop for you. Vogtland, Eibach, Intrax, and ST all make lowering springs that will be lower than the SS stock height. Eibach also has a Caprice lowering spring that might be a good choice since the Caprice is close to the Cad in stock form. If it were me, I would try out a set of stock used SS springs. Cheap, and easy to come across.

tx for the quick reply and brilliantly explained
mike