: Nitrous installed

nsaness
07-05-10, 10:08 AM
My friend here on the list sefa01 turned me on to the Whiskey Cafe cruise in Lyndhurst New Jersey. After going a few times, I felt pressure to step up my game. However, I am broke right now, so the pulley and tune upgrade I want is out of the question. I tried to do a tasteful install with parts I had in the garage (free).

Ross L
07-05-10, 02:39 PM
Well that should have stepped it up ;-) lol. U care to give anymore details?

nsaness
07-05-10, 04:29 PM
Just got it on Saturday before the cruise, so no real details to report. Its a 100 horse jet and I have only sprayed it 5 or 6 times. It has been 95 degrees here, so it seems to help the car a lot.. I have a remote bottle opener and purge valve to install too; I just ran out of time. The purge valve is necessary as I was getting some stutter and surge I was worried about.

thebigjimsho
07-05-10, 10:18 PM
You need to learn to resist peer pressure...

Prof
07-06-10, 08:12 AM
I also have a feeling that your sprayed engine is going to be gasping for air...as the oem intake tube may be collapsing under heavy acceleration. Please be careful.

Gary Wells
07-06-10, 08:24 AM
X2
In the event of a "stuck closed" solenoid, pray that it is the nitrous and not the extra gas solenoid.

Ross L
07-06-10, 08:39 AM
It shouldnt gasp for air with 100hp of additional O2(from the bottle). I ASSume that is a "dry" kit. Its hard to tell by looking at the pics. The Dry shot I had on my 94GT had two solenoids. Fun stuff for sure. A nice "insurance policy" if you ever need it.:sneaky: Have fun.
Ross

JFJr
07-06-10, 11:12 AM
My friend here on the list sefa01 turned me on to the Whiskey Cafe cruise in Lyndhurst New Jersey. After going a few times, I felt pressure to step up my game.Nitrous? Ha haa! Would the addition of a nice monochrome flame job on the front be too aggresive? :lildevil:

Luna.
07-06-10, 04:05 PM

:yeah:

nsaness
07-07-10, 10:10 PM
It is a dry kit, and I have been able to pump in more fuel. Basically, the n2O is more of an intercooler than anything. I have had nitrous on every car I have ever owned, so this is not unfamiliar territory. The supercharged cars LOVE a small shot of nitrous like this. I really planned to hide the kit completely, but I wanted to show all of you on the forum. I am thinking over the next few weekends, I will install the remote bottle opener, the purge valve, and hide the kit from all of the uninitiated.....

Mike 09 V
07-08-10, 10:23 AM
What? You got an invisible hood and fenders so if you come up against somebody they can see you are juicing??? Or do you make sure everybody checks everybody elses' gear prior to the contest? What is the world coming to? Why hide it at this point?
Seriously, I am guessing that the ECM can react fast enough to adjust the fuel to the extra oxygen, otherwise meltdown? What happens if a NOS valve sticks? Just wondering, since I have no experience at all with this space program stuff.

Gary Wells
07-08-10, 11:25 AM
Not stating that it is a probably occurance, but if the nitrous solenoid sticks open or the gas solenoid does not open, you can watch the head go through the hood.
If the nitrous sticks closed or the gas solenoid sticks open, the car just floods & bogs.

Ross L
07-08-10, 11:30 AM
Lots of NOS haters here I see;-) I wouldn't want it visible at the track when the hood is open( cooling the motor). The "what would happen" reasoning could be used on everything. Injector failing, tire blowing out, cat getting pregnate ect. If you want to drive your car easy , NEVER going WOT, or faster than 55mph then there won't be any " what if's", hopefully. ;-p All IMO of course.

Gary Wells
07-08-10, 01:38 PM
FWIW, Ross L., I am not a hater, but I do have a fear of nitrous as far as my cars are concerned. I have not actually heard of a nitrous solenoid sticking or not operating properly in quite a while, but on the other hand, I do not normally travel in circles thatone would expect to hear such things. I am aware that nitrous kits today are much more reliable than they were 20 years ago.

DrumStix
07-08-10, 01:49 PM

Yes. Too much power.

Ross L
07-08-10, 02:19 PM
Hey Gary,I know you're not.:thumbsup: I just think, when used correctly, there is little to no risk with a small 80-100hp shot of NOS. I have several friends who spray and have honestly never heard of a solinoid sticking open(I'm sure its happened though). Nsaness is using a dry kit, so there is no gas solinoid. Would I buy a used CTS-V that had NOS, probably not:duck: Would I install it on my personal car(if I had one), hmmmm.
Ross

DiamondWhtV
07-08-10, 06:01 PM
Lots of NOS haters here I see;-) I wouldn't want it visible at the track when the hood is open( cooling the motor). The "what would happen" reasoning could be used on everything. Injector failing, tire blowing out, cat getting pregnate ect. If you want to drive your car easy , NEVER going WOT, or faster than 55mph then there won't be any " what if's", hopefully. ;-p All IMO of course.

Correct me here...but at the track doesn't the safety marshall identify NOS on the window when going through tech check?? Wouldn't that just give away that you are juiced? Why worry about hiding it.

Ross L
07-08-10, 06:27 PM
not at any track around here.:)

DiamondWhtV
07-08-10, 06:48 PM
not at any track around here.:)

They should...safety isn't just for you, but for the rescue team if ever needed. Probably not a sponsored track I take it.

Not sure I would want to race at a track that doesn't observe proper safety for everyone. But good luck with that.

Ross L
07-08-10, 06:59 PM
yes a "BIG" track. In fact Pinks went there:crying: I guess we should all have a special license as well(for safety). Im confident the safety crew knows what they're doing and what to expect. IMO of course:)

nsaness
07-08-10, 10:16 PM
c'mon guys, Nitrous is a friendly and safe gas! Even your dentist uses it. I've had it on 8 cars that I have owned and never had an issue. Don't use old "used" or crappy parts! Saving pennies on performance is detrimental to your engine.
If I do have an issue, I KNOW it will be $EXPENSIVE$. In summary: my other car is a smallblock with 9.6:1 compresssion, a centrifugal supercharger at 15 pounds of boost, and nitrous too. My caddy is the safest nitrous application I have had in many years.

thebigjimsho
07-09-10, 01:34 AM
Yes. Too much power.
hmm...

1-2-N-V
07-09-10, 10:57 AM
Hey i think i would like to do this, Sound like cheap alternative for that extra grunt when needed. Is there a specific kit for our cars and will we need a retune?

nsaness
07-10-10, 10:58 AM
There is no kit as of yet. I would be willing to put a 50 horse shot on with no other mods. Any more than 50 horse and you need a way to retard the spark under nitrous conditions. I go 3 degrees for every 100 horse. Nitrous is not a "safe" option unless you understand how nitrous works on your engine. Research, research, research, and experience.

Prof
07-10-10, 06:55 PM
There is no kit as of yet. I would be willing to put a 50 horse shot on with no other mods. Any more than 50 horse and you need a way to retard the spark under nitrous conditions. I go 3 degrees for every 100 horse. Nitrous is not a "safe" option unless you understand how nitrous works on your engine. Research, research, research, and experience.

Good guidance IMO.

lawnstripes
07-10-10, 10:26 PM
nitrous is fun....... but can get alittle dangerous

it is a great cooler for intake temps

my truck makes 829hp fuel only....... 958 with nitrous