: Question re: locking door with engine running

TexasStation
07-05-10, 01:14 AM
Does anybody know if the alarm arms itself or if the car would disable the ignition if it was broken into while the doors were locked, engine running and no key fob inside? The reason I ask is we will be traveling cross country with a dog and may want to park at a restaurant or two with the engine running so we can leave the a/c on for the dog. I was experimenting and found I was able to take the key fob inside the house with the engine running and doors unlocked, get back in the car without the key fob and drive off. I was even able to shut it off and restart it, with a message showing up on the DIC instructing to press the brake and push button to restart. Not sure how it would behave if the doors were locked and got broken into. So i'm basically just wondering if this would be safe. If not, I won't risk it.
Thanks

algiorda
07-05-10, 11:19 AM
That's pretty disturbing. I was under the assumption the key fob needed to be in the car to start it. Are you saying you left the key fob in the house, turned off the running car, then started the car?????

I don't think that is supposed to happen.

TexasStation
07-05-10, 11:45 AM
Yep, that's what I'm sayin'

Nichelle
07-05-10, 02:27 PM
I've had this happen. I'd only had the car a short time when the battery in my remote died. I was out shopping and remembered to place the remote in it's spot in the console so I could start the car. I then removed the remote from its position. When I got home and shut off the car, the "Press brake to restart car" message appeared on the DIC. This was only right at shut off. I couldn't exit the vehicle and then return sometime later to restart it.

Page 4-37 of the manual:

No Remote Press Brake To
Restart
This message is displayed if the
remote is no longer detected in the
vehicle. Press the brake pedal to
restart the vehicle.

sube5186
07-05-10, 09:39 PM
If you want to leave the car running with the dog in it, here's what you do. Turn the car off and walk away. Then, use the remote start. This locks the doors and starts the engine. The remote will have to be in the car to unlock the ignition and drive away. With the engine running from a remote start, you have to press the push button start with the remote in the car to unlock the system.

To address your second question, this thread peaked my curiosity, so I decided to perform a little test of my own. I started the car and removed the remote. The engine remained on. This is how it's designed to work. Let's say you started the car and had the remote in your pocket. You get out to clean snow off of the windshield. You don't want the car and defroster to turn off. If it turned off in this situation, the only way to keep it running would be to leave the remote in the car. For security reasons, you obviously wouldn't want that.

Part two of my experiment -

I turned the car off with the remote outside of the vehicle. I then tried to restart it. It wouldn't start. Instead, I got the message "Remote Not in Vehicle". When I pressed the push button start again, the doors locked and the alarm set. Had I been a thief, I'd have been locked inside the car with the alarm set. Ingenious! Now I knew I couldn't leave the car without setting off the alarm. I quickly exited the vehicle. To my surprise I hear a series of four horn "chirps". These then turned into full blown horn blasts. I assume the chirps were a warning that the alarm was about to fully activate.

Conclusion -

If you return to your car after the engine is turned off and you don't have the remote, under no circumstances should it start. If it does, then you may need a software update. Yes, there is a software update that changes the way the ignition behaves. Few know about this, as it was surreptitiously installed in my vehicle "bundled" with another update. It changed the way you turn the ignition to the "ON" position. Before, I would press the start button once to go into "ACC". A second press would turn it "ON" without starting the vehicle, assuming your foot wasn't on the brake pedal. Now, first press goes to "ACC". Second press turns "ACC" off. Press and hold the start button for about five seconds and it goes to the "ON" setting. I believe this was changed to prevent battery drain. Some people would use the "ON" position for long periods of time, therefore draining the battery. Now, you have to know how to access "ON". This change is not in the manual. If you purchased your SRX after Jan 2010, this change was probably already done at the factory. If your SRX is older than that and you've never had it in for service, you probably still have the old system.

Sube

Nichelle
07-05-10, 10:02 PM
Sube, you're incredibly helpful :yup: Regarding the remote start, isn't there a time limit on how long the engine will run? I believe it can be restarted a couple of times but it does eventually shut off. I'd think it would be long enough to run into a restaurant for a bite to eat but don't recall off the top of my head.

As for the second part of your post, I must have the old system. When the battery in my remote was low and the car didn't detect the remote inside the vehicle, I definitely had the option to restart it. Again this was only immediately after I'd shut the engine off. If I exited the car or waited for a period of time, I no longer had that option.

sube5186
07-05-10, 10:06 PM
Regarding the remote start, isn't there a time limit on how long the engine will run?

Yelp, almost forgot about that. It's ten minutes, but can be extended for another 10 mins while still running, for a total of 20 mins. Not sure if that would be long enough for the dog.

Sube

TexasStation
07-05-10, 10:49 PM
I guess I can do the extension, then shutdown/startup the engine if I need more time, but it would be nice if there was an option where I don't have to keep going out to the car (the range doesn't seem very far on the remote start). But if that is the only way to keep a thief from getting the car into gear and driving off with Fido, then that's what we'll do.

I turned the car off with the remote outside of the vehicle. I then tried to restart it. It wouldn't start. Instead, I got the message "Remote Not in Vehicle". When I pressed the push button start again, the doors locked and the alarm set.

Sube, just curious...did you open the driver door and close it before you tried to restart the vehicle?

sube5186
07-05-10, 10:55 PM
Sube, just curious...did you open the driver door and close it before you tried to restart the vehicle?

Nope.